Deni Avdija - 2020 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,164

Re: Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#41 » by The-Power » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Marcus wrote:I'd love to find a few full games to get a better feel for the kid but strength and weaknesses tape that I've seen looks like fixable flaws and the pluses are super translatable with today's NBA but i see the kid bounce all-around draft boards and i can't understand why. So while i'm not seeing a star or franchise type talent I do see a more than serviceable NBAer that can give you good minutes for a pretty long career.

Just don't look for EuroLeague games. I have access to EL games live and on demand and I swear it's incredibly frustrating. Every time I check out Maccabi's game mostly to watch him, only to then see that he plays a couple minutes, is completely uninvolved on offense due to being frozen out (without making mistakes, though), and then he sits for the rest of the game. It's a ridiculous substitution pattern and it's ridiculous that he's so frozen out when he does play. Apparently it's much better for the domestic competition, so at least there's some up-to-date footage of him playing...
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,032

Post#42 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:00 pm

He isn't the generational talent that Luka is, but he is much more fluid than Saric.

I think he could be this generations Detlef Schrempf. Really hope Portland can add him if we keeps sucking.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#43 » by Marcus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:He isn't the generational talent that Luka is, but he is much more fluid than Saric.

I think he could be this generations Detlef Schrempf. Really hope Portland can add him if we keeps sucking.

And-1 solely off the Detlef throwback, that was my guy back in the day.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#44 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:43 am

He is like athletic Dejan
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#45 » by SwipeDaFox » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Had a standout game in the Israeli League with a career high 22 points adding 5 rebounds 4 assists and 2 blocks.

Really maturing and showing his game in the Israeli League where he gets consistent minutes, carving a larger role - although he is used purely as a SF although his playmaking is clearly evident. But it's great to see him adjust to different roles despite being used to playing as the main ball handler - and showing he can contribute regardless.

In the Euroleague he's been making minor steps forward - especially defensively. I like his progress. I do think he would benefit from another year in Europe though.

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,281

Post#46 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:35 am

I just dont see it with, not quick, not athletic, master of zero traits. Looks like decent Euroleague prospect, worth NBA late first I guess, but if you take him top 5 you are regretting it big time.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#47 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Fischella wrote:He is like athletic Dejan

Dejan, as in Dejan Bodiroga? I hope that's not who you mean.............Avdija isn't comparable at all to Bodiroga's talent and skill.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#48 » by doordoor123 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:30 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I just dont see it with, not quick, not athletic, master of zero traits. Looks like decent Euroleague prospect, worth NBA late first I guess, but if you take him top 5 you are regretting it big time.

Lol you don’t see it? Master of 0 traits? Terrible take. He has elite feel for the game, like Doncic or Morant. He’s super skilled with great change of direction. Over time he’s going to get much better at creating with space and he has the patience around the basket to be a good interior scorer. He’s also smart enough defensively where he can make it difficult for guys to score. I don’t think he’ll be as good as Doncic or Morant, but a guy who can be the third or fourth best player on a team is worthy of a top 5 pick in this weaker draft.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#49 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:32 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Lol you don’t see it? Master of 0 traits? Terrible take. He has elite feel for the game, like Doncic or Morant. He’s super skilled with great change of direction. Over time he’s going to get much better at creating with space and he has the patience around the basket to be a good interior scorer. He’s also smart enough defensively where he can make it difficult for guys to score. I don’t think he’ll be as good as Doncic or Morant, but a guy who can be the third or fourth best player on a team is worthy of a top 5 pick in this weaker draft.

There is zero chance that he is as good as Doncic. You guys are way over hyping him. It's like Hezonja and Bender draft threads all over again.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#50 » by King Ken » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:33 pm

I can see Detlef. His defensive position in the modern NBA is what I have issues with but his elite feel for the game, passing vision, etc. Kinda like Davis Bertrans, I can see him being a high impact off the bench player.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,104

Post#51 » by Chi town » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

His IQ is elite. His quick release and consistent form on his shot looks real. Sneaky athleticsm. His handle is strong enough to create off the dribble and get his own shot. I expect him to add a step back 3 in the future. He’s a magician passer much like Luka.

I think he’s a Gallo level talent with more impact upside due to his defense and this NBA having the greatest need for lead ball handlers that can create. I think with time he will be able to do that.

I think he’s too 10 lock and could go top 5. Will show flashes rookie year and really show what he can do mid year 2 and 3.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,104

Post#52 » by Chi town » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:30 pm

BTW... I don’t see Saric, Detlef or Gallo. None of them were lead playmakers or handlers. He can be a lead handler like a Luka if he has another good playmaker next to him.

Think he’d fit well next to Lavine for my Bulls.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#53 » by goober » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I think he’d be a great fit with the Jazz, Joe Ingles mentoring him would be great. I think he could be very similar to Joe Ingles with maybe more offensive versatility. Maybe the Jazz can trade up for him like they did with Mitchell :)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#54 » by EvanZ » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 pm

How do people ignore the fact he can’t shoot free throws?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#55 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:17 pm

I think he is a tremendous glue guy prospect, but don't think he is the type that can be the 3rd best, or better, player for a team. He is a lot like a 21st century Detlef. A bit of Cedi mixed in too.

Saying he can pass anywhere near the level of Luka is nonsense. Comparing him to Detlef implies that he is a good passer, the dude averaged 3.5 APG as a forward. The numbers don't look bit, but those are great passing stats for a forward.

I hope Portland can draft him. He doesn't have a All Star ceiling IMO but is NBA role-player ready IMO. I think he can have at least a Osman like rookie season. Something like 12ppg / 5rpg / 2.5apg with slightly above average % and neutral defense. That's a great rookie if he falls around 7-10.

The FT shooting is somewhat scary, and his long ball seems to have a flat'ish, pushy release. But overall there is a ton to like, especially in a pretty weak draft. I hope the teams picking before Portland in less of a win-now mode gamble on the unpolished NCAA freak athletes so he falls (Guys like Josh Green, McDaniels, Hampton, etc)
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#56 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:27 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Lol you don’t see it? Master of 0 traits? Terrible take. He has elite feel for the game, like Doncic or Morant. He’s super skilled with great change of direction. Over time he’s going to get much better at creating with space and he has the patience around the basket to be a good interior scorer. He’s also smart enough defensively where he can make it difficult for guys to score. I don’t think he’ll be as good as Doncic or Morant, but a guy who can be the third or fourth best player on a team is worthy of a top 5 pick in this weaker draft.

There is zero chance that he is as good as Doncic. You guys are way over hyping him. It's like Hezonja and Bender draft threads all over again.

When I said he would be a 3rd or 4th best player on team you thought I said Doncic? I’m pretty sure Doncic is the best player on his team and will be for the foreseeable future. Read bro.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,281

Post#57 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Chi town wrote:BTW... I don’t see Saric, Detlef or Gallo. None of them were lead playmakers or handlers. He can be a lead handler like a Luka if he has another good playmaker next to him.

You havent seen Saric in lower levels then. Saric looked far more dominant in juniors and Adriatic league, Saric was so much better as playmaker, big and shooter its not even close. I dont know man, if you painting this guy as top 5 pick, you should give some Euro players max contracts then.
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#58 » by TheScout31 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Chi town wrote:BTW... I don’t see Saric, Detlef or Gallo. None of them were lead playmakers or handlers. He can be a lead handler like a Luka if he has another good playmaker next to him.

He's not a primary creator, or really even a secondary.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#59 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm

You havent seen Saric in lower levels then. Saric looked far more dominant in juniors and Adriatic league, Saric was so much better as playmaker, big and shooter its not even close. I dont know man, if you painting this guy as top 5 pick, you should give some Euro players max contracts then.

Saric has great skill, but his mobility has hampered him in this itineration of the NBA. He just is too robotic, non twitchy and overall unathletic. He has poor lateral mobility and 'bend'. Deni, and granted this is from cutups, looks much more fluid and bouncy.

If Saric had even slightly above average athleticism he would be near good enough to be a 3 option on a good team IMO.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#60 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:59 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Saric has great skill, but his mobility has hampered him in this itineration of the NBA. He just is too robotic, non twitchy and overall unathletic. He has poor lateral mobility and 'bend'. Deni, and granted this is from cutups, looks much more fluid and bouncy.

If Saric had even slightly above average athleticism he would be near good enough to be a 3 option on a good team IMO.

Even though Avdija is the better NBA prospect (because he will defend) on O they don't seem like remotely the same player at all to me.

Saric isn't explosive but he somewhat has the advantage of size and strength. He can dip his shoulder and move guys to create space.

Avdija is quick-footed, but is likely going to have problems with strength and physicality in the NBA. He's not actually that skilled of a scorer or shooter, so in the halfcourt he will struggle to display his creativity with the way teams would defend him.

Return to NBA Draft