Jalen Green - next elite prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,803

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#41 » by Upperclass » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Han Solo wrote:Green is my favorite in the draft next year. If my team gets the #1 pick, I’m choosing him.

He's Kobe imo. The team that passes on him for Cade or whomever else will not be happy with that decision for a very longtime
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,299

Post#42 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 3:17 am

some G league tape, not many players I love watching play as much as Jalen Green.

;feature=youtu.be
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#43 » by 916fan » Tue Feb 9, 2021 9:14 am

I hardly ever scout players during the HS level, but I think I may have to go back on Jalen Green. In the scrimmage highlight video, he looked very good. He's very athletic with great body control. He might only be 175lbs, but he goes at the rim very hard. Most guys around his frame tend to shy away from contact, but he goes towards it. He also looks like a very comfortable ball handler at SG. I'm very excited to see what he can do in the GLeague. He has an "it" factor. I can see why everyone in this thread was high on him from the start.

Here's a film session with Mike Schmitz:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#44 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 7:26 pm

all what Green has to prove to me at this point is that he's not positionally locked offensively, if he can do that in the G League then he's a T1 guy in this class and an elite prospect...he's that good, and I think people have really underrated him defensively, his improvements on that end are pretty clear.

and of course the physical profile is just out of this world, it's absurd how effortless of a mover he is, with his stop-gos and misdirections etc...just brilliant movement skills.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#45 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 9, 2021 8:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:all what Green has to prove to me at this point is that he's not positionally locked offensively, if he can do that in the G League then he's a T1 guy in this class and an elite prospect...he's that good, and I think people have really underrated him defensively, his improvements on that end are pretty clear.

and of course the physical profile is just out of this world, it's absurd how effortless of a mover he is, with his stop-gos and misdirections etc...just brilliant movement skills.

There's also some playmaking chops to work with as well. If he can combine that with pacing as the game slows for him. Watch TF out.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#46 » by MotownMadness » Tue Feb 9, 2021 8:14 pm

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:all what Green has to prove to me at this point is that he's not positionally locked offensively, if he can do that in the G League then he's a T1 guy in this class and an elite prospect...he's that good, and I think people have really underrated him defensively, his improvements on that end are pretty clear.

There's also some playmaking chops to work with as well. If he can combine that with pacing as the game slows for him. Watch TF out.

I didnt know he was considered a bad defender. Kinda bummed to hear and hopefully it's being exaggerated.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 9, 2021 8:22 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I didnt know he was considered a bad defender. Kinda bummed to hear and hopefully it's being exaggerated.

Wouldn't say bad as much as I'd say unfocused. He's an 18 year old kid that can fly all over the gym and leave you with little to nothing to do with him offensively. This is customary for that age to be kinda blah on that end due to lack of "fun". This is where I deliver the preverbial "when he's locked in" statement. It holds true though with Jalen, active hands, elite athlecism, quick off his feet, good timing, not the longest arms but his quicks and athleticism make up some of the difference. Should be able to add strength to his upper body and already has a solid base to build on. There's very good two way potential here.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,806

Post#48 » by LukaTheGOAT » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 am

Upperclass wrote:
Han Solo wrote:Green is my favorite in the draft next year. If my team gets the #1 pick, I’m choosing him.

He's Kobe imo. The team that passes on him for Cade or whomever else will not be happy with that decision for a very longtime

This is going to be a really bad take. Like very bad.
Read on Twitter
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,878

Post#49 » by prime1time » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:13 am

Green could be elite, but he's so unrefined. Of the big 5 prospects, he has the furthest to go. People are throwing out Beal comparisons. I see the comp but it is highly misleading. It took Beal years to even come close to the level of scoring that he's now capable of. It's tough to project players like Beal because what defines them most isn't whether are before the draft, but their year after year improvement. Compared to Beal, Green is more athletic and explosive. He has a quicker first step and he's also taller. But what defines Beal is his body control and shiftiness. Beal can get to the hole at will. In a league where elite scorers are defined by their ability to shoot high volume of 3's and get layups, Beal is a throwback scorer.

Scoring will come easier to Green because of his athletic ability. But this could be a double edge sword. I get serious Wiggins vibes from him. Is Green willing to put in the work necessary to fully utilize his offensive talents. In high school, he got by own only physical ability. Now he will need to add skill. You can talk about X's and O's with Green all you want, but it doesn't even matter. He has all the tools to be great. The question for him is does he really want to be great or is he fine just being an average to the above-average player. In that regard, I put him in the same category of an Anthony Edwards. I look forward to seeing more of him in this G-League tourney.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#50 » by No-Man » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:47 am

Green to me is LaVine, nothing more, nothing less, but to be LaVine you need the crazy work ethic too
clyde21
RealGM

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Green is way better than what LaVine was at 18, the curve is way different
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,658

Post#52 » by peZt » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Definitely way underrated rn.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#53 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:35 pm

his handle development is gonna determine his offensive ceiling, right now he's almost exclusively an off-ball player because of it.

Developing his handle and his defensive awareness should be 2 things whoever drafts him high should be super confident in.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by Marcus » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:53 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:his handle development is gonna determine his offensive ceiling, right now he's almost exclusively an off-ball player because of it.

Developing his handle and his defensive awareness should be 2 things whoever drafts him high should be super confident in.

not doggish on his handle to the extent i think he's exclusively off-ball but it could use a little tightening and there needs to be a bit more versatility going left. right now it's either dominant hand drive to the cup or off-hand two bounces then pull-up. that's gonna get chewed up next level if he can't show more wrinkles.
Watch More Basketball

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#55 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:50 am

I think Green is the #1 prospect in this year’s draft. There are not many times where a player who is this athletic comes into the league with this level of jump shot.

Green is not a raw athlete other than the fact that because of his athleticism his ceiling is huge, but he’s legitimately already a player with a ton of NBA skills that will allow him to fit into a role on Day 1.

Green is an above average shooter already. He looks like he can be used in any number of actions running him around screens to allow him to catch the ball and elevate or pump fake and attack the rim. He has one of the quickest and most explosive lifts on his jumper that I have seen in a prospect. He is going to be able to get his shot off whenever he wants and pretty much be “open”.

He also seems to be a really willing and active mover off the ball—whether that’s running around screens, cutting and catching lobs at the rim or passes and exploding to the rim, or getting out as an outlet in transition. There aren’t a lot of young players who come into the league with the willingness to do that but also the feel in order to time those things right— that’s a skill. I think he can score 8 points a game in transition and off cuts on Day 1.

The other thing that I notice watching the tape is that he’s got really good body control and touch in the air. He’s able to adjust if defenders contest and has that natural feel for making tough layups. There are a lot of players who just aren’t at that level when they finish at the rim—this is a huge difference maker in terms of guys who can score efficiently.

I haven’t even talked about other parts of his game. Green on Day 1 could average 13-16 points per game from those actions alone efficiently if you let him take 6-7 3’s per game.

I think concerns about his handle are a little bit overblown. I’ve seen him shaking defenders to get space off the dribble at the 3 point line and a variety of different step through and cross over moves in traffic in the paint as he drives in order to maneuver through traffic—I’ve even seen him have the feel to put guys on his hip and lower his dribble. None of that is anything elite by any means, but I haven’t seen anything that suggests his handle is going to prevent him from being able to get to the rim against moving defenses. I’d even argue that I have seen anything that suggests, with his first step and athleticism, that his handle does anything to hold him back from beating his own man and creating his own shot and getting to the rim against more set defenses.

His handle is not good enough for him to be a primary initiator, that’s true. I don’t see anything that prevents him from being able to beat his man or get to the rim. The times I have seen him take pull up jumpers from the mid range are generally when defenses have dropped sagged into the paint and he’s wide open and in rhythm—that’s a fine shot.

He’s at 52-53% from 2 as a primarily 18 year old playing men in the G League. This isn’t a guy who cannot get to the rim, though to be fair a lot of that might be because he’s really good at scoring off ball.

Green, to me, seems like a guy who can score 18-19 points per 36 minutes on a 57+% true shooting percentage on Day 1. He also seems not far off and has a clear development path to becoming an efficient 23-24 PPG once he starts to fill his frame and become more confident in his handle.

Green is the only player in this draft that has the potential to be a #1 scoring option. Cade is not athletic enough to get to the rim consistently and if he’s asked to be the primary guy is going to end up taking a bunch of tough contested 10-15 foot mid range shots or step back 3’s.

The player that I see, as a Wolves fan, as almost a carbon copy of Green is Zach Lavine. Lavine was really underrated for the Wolves because people thought he was just an athlete, but basically from Day 1 he was an elite shooter, elite in transition, and all of the things I started saying about Green in terms of off ball action. Lavine was a 39% 3 point shooter in his 2nd year and averaged essentially 20 PPG as the #3 option on the Wolves shooting 50/40/80. He’s got the same weaknesses as Green has and even was a guy that the Wolves used primarily off ball despite Lavine showing the ability to get to the rim at will because of his athleticism even without an elite handle yet.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,809

Post#56 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:35 pm

Just dropped the Jalen Green scouting break down. Really impressed me with his play in the bubble. Jalen’s on ball defense is super underrated. Makes some mistakes typical of young players off ball, but he gives effort and had moments. Needs to work on his weakside reads as a playmaker (which he’s aware of) but showed good touch hitting the roll man as a ball screen initiator. The athleticism is jaw dropping. Now just needs to add weight and translate it to FTA.

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#57 » by EMG518 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40 am

Can't wait to see him in the league. He is going to be great. If only the Knicks could have grabbed him smh. I have him 1 and Mobley 2 at the moment.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,495

Post#58 » by Big J » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:46 pm

Yea this kid is generational. He’s got those slithery Durant like movements without the height, but with infinitely more athleticism. People keep saying that Cade has a higher floor, but Greens floor is peak Jason Richardson.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 533

Post#59 » by Phenomenonsense » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:07 pm

I think the G-league decision was a great choice for someone like Green, who I rate significantly lower than everyone here apparently. Being able to cut/drive to the rim when there is a "3 in the key" call makes him look better as an athlete and slasher than he actually is, if we were to compare him to a college player. I think this pick will be very unfortunately for whoever takes him, and the league will learn a lot about how to evaluate G-league talent vs college talent.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#60 » by clyde21 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:27 pm

Phenomenonsense wrote:I think the G-league decision was a great choice for someone like Green, who I rate significantly lower than everyone here apparently. Being able to cut/drive to the rim when there is a "3 in the key" call makes him look better as an athlete and slasher than he actually is, if we were to compare him to a college player. I think this pick will be very unfortunately for whoever takes him, and the league will learn a lot about how to evaluate G-league talent vs college talent.

quite possibly one of the worst takes i've seen here recently, and there have been a lot of bad takes here.

Return to NBA Draft