Jalen Williams, Santa Clara

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,968

Re: Jalen Williams, Santa Clara 

Post#41 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:12 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Would have gone Duren as well, but I think Presti has adopted the mindset that all his guys have to be able to shoot.
He just picked giddey 6th last year
bucknut
Junior
And1: 133

Post#42 » by bucknut » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:25 pm

Because of his body, and pace, I don't think athleticism and agility is going to hurt him a ton...Pierce and Butler and Doncic play similarly....he's got the body to do it.

Problem for his ceiling is all those guys can take contact and get easy buckets at the rim and I don't see him doing that or matching their rebounding numbers.

So I'm seeing a solid player good starter but not a an all star without seeing get to the hole and finish ability - but like him more than a matherin based on that mid range game polish and pace and playmaking.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,190

Post#43 » by Notanoob » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:42 pm

The lack of athleticism and agility will keep him from being a great player, but his shooting and savvy are more than enough to make him a useful piece. Think he'll be a contributor, the type of player you're never mad to see out there.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,495

Post#44 » by Big J » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:10 am

Notanoob wrote:The lack of athleticism and agility will keep him from being a great player, but his shooting and savvy are more than enough to make him a useful piece. Think he'll be a contributor, the type of player you're never mad to see out there.

Sounds like Kyle Anderson.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,703

Post#45 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:39 am

EvanZ wrote:I think this will go down as a bad pick. Duren was there for the taking. Complete blunder imo. Both him and Dieng going that high to the same team. I get Presti taking shots on goal, but they had a chance to pair Chet with Duren. It doesn't get more perfect than that. Could have began one of the great defensive duos of all time.

On the other hand, I'm a Warriors fan, so I'm glad we won't have to worry about them for many years. Detroit and Memphis tho...

Evan, did you post your big board somewhere in the forums this year? Please link it to me.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:33 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I think this will go down as a bad pick. Duren was there for the taking. Complete blunder imo. Both him and Dieng going that high to the same team. I get Presti taking shots on goal, but they had a chance to pair Chet with Duren. It doesn't get more perfect than that. Could have began one of the great defensive duos of all time.

On the other hand, I'm a Warriors fan, so I'm glad we won't have to worry about them for many years. Detroit and Memphis tho...

Evan, did you post your big board somewhere in the forums this year? Please link it to me.

It's a tweet! :lol:

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,703

Post#47 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:58 pm

EvanZ wrote:It's a tweet! :lol:

Read on Twitter

It's all good... I'm just picking on you for fun (when I make fun of your twitter comments). :lol:

Appreciate the reply and the list.

I see you put Duren higher than the consensus, and as for the rest, it's pretty much similar to the status quo, right?

So, what's the reasoning for Duren being so high?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#48 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:41 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
So, what's the reasoning for Duren being so high?

Duren has a huge upside given his combination of tools and age (he's a month younger for his class even than Kuminga). I also think he has some potential Bam-type outcomes where he can be an offensive hub...at the very least I think his BBIQ is much higher than Wiseman even as an 18-year old.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,642

Post#49 » by azcatz11 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 am

Duncan and Hollinger were talking about him on their pod the other day. Neither is a believer bc they think he didn’t start to dominate the WCC until mid way thru his junior year.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,914

Post#50 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Jul 9, 2023 12:16 pm

Sean Farnham deserves a lot of credit with this one. He said during Jalen's junior season that he would rise in the draft and be better suited for the NBA than he ever was playing at Santa Clara. Jalen is just a good basketball player. I'm intrigued to see what his sophomore year in the League looks like.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to NBA Draft