Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II 

Post#61 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 pm

BongBoyKlay wrote:Makur Maker was just declared eligible for the 2020 draft. He hasn't entered yet, but the belief amongst many people is that he intends to enter the draft. Don't know much about him, and the only guy that he can really be compared to is Thon due to their relationship and similar body.

Makur is already stronger than Thon and is listed at about 20 pounds heavier than Thon was going into the draft.

What do you guys think his impact on this draft will be if he decides to enter? He is currently the number 12 prospect in the class of 2020 and has a very intriguing skillset. Can he sneak into the top 10 due to the weakness of this draft?

I've stated as much before but Makur is making a great decision declaring in this class. The class he was in would have left him very exposed I think. Makur looks great on paper and if you have a staff develop him he could be really good. My main issue with the kid is his motor is absolutely nowhere near Thon's from what i've seen. Thon was developed wrong and tried being KD when he should have tried being AD but the kid plays extremely hard when he gets minutes. Makur seems to not care like at all when i've watched him. He doesn't use his size for anything outside of a highlight and he looks to love the idea of being a 7ft point guard. I think if you have absolutely nothing to lose you draft him and see if you can iron out those wrinkles because there's a lot to work with if you can but if he can't hit that activity switch i can't see him consistently lasting very long on an NBA roster. He's def a G-League project in waiting I think.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#62 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:32 pm

What's everyone's thoughts on Cole Anthony currently? I had him #1 going into the season, not going to lie I may not even have him top 10 anymore. His athleticism really hasnt translated to college at all, and he is struggling to score from every area on the floor (his FT% has been good since his return).

I look at him like the Austin Rivers of this class. Son of former popular player, in high school looked great and athletic and was highly ranked. Went to college and the athleticism didnt really translate and raw stats was fine but clear the impact just wasn't there. Rivers ended up slipping to 10th and I think same happens with Cole. I also wouldnt be shocked if he ends up having a journeyman kind of career like Rivers as well.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#63 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on Cole Anthony currently? I had him #1 going into the season, not going to lie I may not even have him top 10 anymore. His athleticism really hasnt translated to college at all, and he is struggling to score from every area on the floor (his FT% has been good since his return).

I look at him like the Austin Rivers of this class. Son of former popular player, in high school looked great and athletic and was highly ranked. Went to college and the athleticism didnt really translate and raw stats was fine but clear the impact just wasn't there. Rivers ended up slipping to 10th and I think same happens with Cole. I also wouldnt be shocked if he ends up having a journeyman kind of career like Rivers as well.

was thinking this too actually. I didn't think coming into the season that where he lands would dictate as much as i think it would now. He's gonna need to be given the keys in order to fully maximize his game. I think he's headier than Austin and isn't as in love with his numbers so shouldn't take him as long to "get it" but I can see the correlation between the two. Knicks looks to be in the market for a player like Cole according to the Wiretap so we'll see how that works out
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#64 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on Cole Anthony currently? I had him #1 going into the season, not going to lie I may not even have him top 10 anymore. His athleticism really hasnt translated to college at all, and he is struggling to score from every area on the floor (his FT% has been good since his return).

was thinking this too actually. I didn't think coming into the season that where he lands would dictate as much as i think it would now. He's gonna need to be given the keys in order to fully maximize his game. I think he's headier than Austin and isn't as in love with his numbers so shouldn't take him as long to "get it" but I can see the correlation between the two. Knicks looks to be in the market for a player like Cole according to the Wiretap so we'll see how that works out

Yeah I had him #1 too but currently have him late lottery now.

I think he can still be a decent starter/good backup somewhere especially if he starts shooting well again. UNC was less than ideal as well. But we’ve seen good nba players thrive in similar conditions so it’s not a great excuse.

By far my biggest concern is his finishing though

He’s currently 7th percentile at the rim. Yikes
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,807

Post#65 » by CoreyVillains » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Hey guys, I finally finished my first 2020 NBA Draft Scouting Video. I went way more in depth this year than I did last year. Looking to make as many of these as I can before June!

So if you want an in depth look at LaMelo with commentary give it a watch!

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,441

Post#66 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:27 pm

Makur doesn't seem to have any dog in him. Even if he develops it will take him nearly pass his rookie contract. Should be a nice late round special for a contender.

Hopefully he focuses more than he's shown. I'm a believer in his talent.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#67 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:18 pm

UNC lost every single one of those games too, not sure what's going with him, but that team in general is damn mess right now and Roy Williams more than anyone needs to answer for it

as for Cole, 34% from the field and 26% from 3 is just not gonna cut it for someone with his size and not necessarily a great playmaker...he's gonna have to find ways to be wayyyy more efficient if he's gonna get any mins in the NBA

i still kinda like him as a top 12 or 14 guy, the talent is there and you can see a lot of translatable skills and this UNC team is just a complete mess at this point, but yea he's def not as high as he was coming into the year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#68 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:48 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I think he can still be a decent starter/good backup somewhere especially if he starts shooting well again. UNC was less than ideal as well. But we’ve seen good nba players thrive in similar conditions so it’s not a great excuse.

Good call on his lack of ability to finish. And it gets harder in the NBA, so why should anyone expect that problem to go away. Small pg's who don't finish well usually don't have success in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM

Post#69 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:50 pm

after Nas last year and now Cole 5* top recruits should stay the hell away from UNC at this point

especially after that turd Roy Williams blamed the struggles on the players and not himself (god forbid he doesn't have 5* all over the roster).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#70 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:

UNC lost every single one of those games too, not sure what's going with him, but that team in general is damn mess right now and Roy Williams more than anyone needs to answer for it

as for Cole, 34% from the field and 26% from 3 is just not gonna cut it for someone with his size and not necessarily a great playmaker...he's gonna have to find ways to be wayyyy more efficient if he's gonna get any mins in the NBA

i still kinda like him as a top 12 or 14 guy, the talent is there and you can see a lot of translatable skills and this UNC team is just a complete mess at this point, but yea he's def not as high as he was coming into the year.

To be completely fair to Cole, its not like UNC was doing much winning before his return either (2-5 in their previous 7 games). But ya at best the only argument you can make is he has been neutral impact and that is as generous as you can get. Because ya we are talking about a high usage inefficient scorer who doesn't play defense and isn't a great facilitator, not really what Id call a impactful player.

Im also with you on the 12-14 range, I probably have him somewhere between 14-20 personally. But ya I can see a team taking a flyer on him late lotto.

This year has been a horrible look for Roy Williams. I just dont see how any high level recruit would want to go there at the moment. Either than Coby White, we are talking year after year of high ranked recruits going to UNC just to watch their NBA value plummet.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Good call on his lack of ability to finish. And it gets harder in the NBA, so why should anyone expect that problem to go away. Small pg's who don't finish well usually don't have success in the NBA.

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Trae Young. He was a really poor finisher at the rim not as bad as Cole (53% vs 46%) and Trae is finishing at 60% at the rim so far this year. But ya either than him, I cant think of too many small guards that struggled at finishing and all of a sudden became good finishers.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:after Nas last year and now Cole 5* top recruits should stay the hell away from UNC at this point

especially after that turd Roy Williams blamed the struggles on the players and not himself (god forbid he doesn't have 5* all over the roster).

i immediately thought a album was coming when i first read that and had to check the thread to make sure lol. I was thinking "what Clyde got against DreamVille?"
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:after Nas last year and now Cole 5* top recruits should stay the hell away from UNC at this point

List of 5 star recruits under Roy since 2010 (the start of the big time OAD era)

Harrison Barnes (#1 overall recruit): Was viewed as the next great prospect, wasn't viewed as a top 5 pick after his freshman year so returned and ended up going 7th overall after his 2nd year.
Reggie Bullock (15th overall): Played in college for 3 years, went 25th overall
James Michael McAdoo (7th overall): Played 3 years in college, went undrafted
P.J Hairston (13th overall): Played 2 years in college, then went to the G League, then got drafted
Isaiah Hicks (16th overall): Played 4 years in college, went undrafted
Justin Jackson (9th overall): Played 3 years, drafted 15th overall
Theo Pinson (15th overall): Played 4 years, went undrafted. 12 of the top 15 players went OAD in this class, Theo and Justin were 2 of the 3 that didnt.
Tony Bradley (25th overall): OAD, 28th pick overall
Nassir Little (3rd overall): OAD, 25th pick overall
Coby White(25th overall): OAD, 7th pick overall

So in the last decade UNC has had 10 5* recruits. Out of those 10, 1 definitely helped his draft stock (Coby), 1 pretty much stayed even (Bradley), everyone else ended up sticking around for years and consistently saw their draft stock drop.

Dont get me wrong all schools have guys like this, Duke has guys like Bolden and Duval while UK guys like the twins and Dakari Johnson. But man UNC's track record is just flat out bad. Cole Anthony's stock is dropping extremely fast and no one is talking about Armando Bacot's draft stock right now, so add 2 more misses.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#74 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Trae Young. He was a really poor finisher at the rim not as bad as Cole (53% vs 46%) and Trae is finishing at 60% at the rim so far this year. But ya either than him, I cant think of too many small guards that struggled at finishing and all of a sudden became good finishers.

Cole gonna need a floater for sure.
Watch More Basketball

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#75 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:44 pm

What do you guys think of Nico Mannion now ?

He had a hot start but cooled off since then. Still not getting to the rim much but he does have good touch on his floater. He seems like an okay athlete but will struggle on D because of his size.

Not sure if he’s a starter or a backup right now
clyde21
RealGM

Post#76 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:04 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:What do you guys think of Nico Mannion now ?

He had a hot start but cooled off since then. Still not getting to the rim much but he does have good touch on his floater. He seems like an okay athlete but will struggle on D because of his size.

#2 PG after Haliburton for me, but part of me wants him to come back on work on his finishing/shooting some more
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#77 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:30 am

clyde21 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:What do you guys think of Nico Mannion now ?

#2 PG after Haliburton for me, but part of me wants him to come back on work on his finishing/shooting some more

I’m pretty sold on his jumpshot tbh

I think he’s got arguably the best touch in the class and his form is fine.

The getting to the rim is my concern because if he can’t do that than the shot creation is pretty limited and he’s more of a backup.

Doesn’t help that if you look at his performance vs better teams hasn’t been great

Read on Twitter
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,041

Post#78 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:38 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

List of 5 star recruits under Roy since 2010 (the start of the big time OAD era)

Harrison Barnes (#1 overall recruit): Was viewed as the next great prospect, wasn't viewed as a top 5 pick after his freshman year so returned and ended up going 7th overall after his 2nd year.
P.J Hairston (13th overall): Played 2 years in college, then went to the G League, then got drafted
Theo Pinson (15th overall): Played 4 years, went undrafted. 12 of the top 15 players went OAD in this class, Theo and Justin were 2 of the 3 that didnt.

So in the last decade UNC has had 10 5* recruits. Out of those 10, 1 definitely helped his draft stock (Coby), 1 pretty much stayed even (Bradley), everyone else ended up sticking around for years and consistently saw their draft stock drop.

Dont get me wrong all schools have guys like this, Duke has guys like Bolden and Duval while UK guys like the twins and Dakari Johnson. But man UNC's track record is just flat out bad. Cole Anthony's stock is dropping extremely fast and no one is talking about Armando Bacot's draft stock right now, so add 2 more misses.

Everyone got drafted in the right spot. Roy didn't make them seem worse than they were, he simply didn't make them seem better than they were.

If they were drafted higher they would've been exposed in the NBA.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:51 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Everyone got drafted in the right spot. Roy didn't make them seem worse than they were, he simply didn't make them seem better than they were.

point still stands, if I'm a top recruit why would I go play for Roy if 1) he won't develop me or 2) put me in a position to get drafted high?

like Duke pointed out...only ONE player saw his stock improve under Roy, that's a big deal. if I'm a 5* recruit there are probably at least 15 other programs I'd rather go to at this point.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,041

Post#80 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:03 am

clyde21 wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

point still stands, if I'm a top recruit why would I go play for Roy if 1) he won't develop me or 2) put me in a position to get drafted high?

like Duke pointed out...only ONE player saw his stock improve under Roy, that's a big deal.

I'm saying those guys got drafted where they should've been drafted.

Roy Williams maybe doesn't increase their draft stock, he runs a very NBA similar system so it's easy to scout them.

Legitimate top 10 guys will go top 10 with Roy Williams.

Or do you think the reason McAdoo, Bradley, Pinson, Hicks, and Hariston never amouted to anything was because of their 5 time championship winning college coach?

Those guys should've never been 5 stars in the first place and we're obviously overrated in college.

I understand what you are saying Clyde, UNC has a track record of players not getting drafted at their high school ranking after signing with UNC.

I'm saying, guys like Ayton, Trae, Bagley, Morant, Zion, etc. thier stock would've remained the same going to UNC.

So if your a truly elite 5 star, Roy will keep you the same, because those players can't be hidden. A guy who is barley 5 stars (or not actually worth the 5 stars) will simply be exposed as who they are, in Roy's very pro style system (with lots of TV coverage)

Or do you think Roy Williams would've brought the stock down of guys like Ayton, Bagley, Trae, Zion, Morant, etc.?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)

Return to NBA Draft