Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,255

Re: Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock? 

Post#61 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue May 24, 2022 10:16 pm

Drgaliza2 wrote:100% kai sotto.. hes not even top 100 in mock draft and not even in the list of most mock drafts.. according to his agent there are already nba teams who are interested in him.. and theres a particular scouts who watch his game lately.. utah jazz if im not mistaken.. utah dont even have draft pick unless its top 6… so either they will trade for picks or they are bold enough to use top 6 pick for this dude.. i know celtics scouted him as well and is interested.. severely underrated or is just under the radar.. I have a feeling they will trade gobert for wiseman, kuminga, and a 2nd round pick to get sotto..

They'd be scouting Sotto as a second round flier or more likely undrafted player. There aren't major deals happening with an eye on him.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Re: Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock? 

Post#62 » by tester551 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:46 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
Drgaliza2 wrote:100% kai sotto.. hes not even top 100 in mock draft and not even in the list of most mock drafts.. according to his agent there are already nba teams who are interested in him.. and theres a particular scouts who watch his game lately.. utah jazz if im not mistaken.. utah dont even have draft pick unless its top 6… so either they will trade for picks or they are bold enough to use top 6 pick for this dude.. i know celtics scouted him as well and is interested.. severely underrated or is just under the radar.. I have a feeling they will trade gobert for wiseman, kuminga, and a 2nd round pick to get sotto..

They'd be scouting Sotto as a second round flier or more likely undrafted player. There aren't major deals happening with an eye on him.

Jazz don't even have a pick this draft. Most likely looking at him as a UDFA.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#63 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 am

tester551 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Jazz don't even have a pick this draft. Most likely looking at him as a UDFA.

Utah specifically, yup. I was just talking about any team in general terms.
Using a second rounder on Sotto is probably unrequired, but a first...eesh...culpable.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#64 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:This kid. Former lottery prospect, if he falls out of the top-20, he has a legit chance to greatly outplay his draft position.

All Star talent if he manages to hit anywhere near his ceiling. But it'll require years of development to get there. I love him for SAS at #25.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I am kind of wondering if his angle injury affected his athletic testing. If that's not long-term I could see him getting drafted higher than expected. I took him out of my mock after athletic testing but that was probably too far.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Drgaliza2
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#65 » by Drgaliza2 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:00 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/.amp/draft/brett-siegels-2022-nba-mock-draft-1-0-post-combine-edition

Thats weird because hes suddenly in top 60 all of a sudden and he is not even in draft combine.. they must have seen something in team private workouts. From undrafted to top 60 in mockdrafts in just days is unheard of. From rank 100+ to 49 post draft combine. Better than draft stock for sure. So its either hes really doing good in private work outs or hes just really out of the radar and they are just seeing him for the first time. But yea hes possibly a second rounder. I would be shock if he became 1st rounder.. so he is the prospect better than draft stock.. i guess not anymore because he ranked up quick.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#66 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu May 26, 2022 8:01 am

Drgaliza2 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/.amp/draft/brett-siegels-2022-nba-mock-draft-1-0-post-combine-edition

Thats weird because hes suddenly in top 60 all of a sudden and he is not even in draft combine.. they must have seen something in team private workouts. From undrafted to top 60 in mockdrafts in just days is unheard of. From rank 100+ to 49 post draft combine. Better than draft stock for sure. So its either hes really doing good in private work outs or hes just really out of the radar and they are just seeing him for the first time. But yea hes possibly a second rounder. I would be shock if he became 1st rounder.. so he is the prospect better than draft stock.. i guess not anymore because he ranked up quick.

Not sure. I saw a lot of him because he's been playing in the Aussie league. He's definitely something, but he's also a project on a project.

I wouldn't spend Boston's second rounder on him. But undrafted, sure, I can see that.

Perhaps they're just getting around to reviewing tape of the lesser known players? Dunno...

I don't really rate any of the NBL guys this year (Dieng, Besson, Sotto, Mojave King...Hukporti is playing another season...)
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,305

Post#67 » by God Squad » Fri May 27, 2022 7:18 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
Drgaliza2 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Not sure. I saw a lot of him because he's been playing in the Aussie league. He's definitely something, but he's also a project on a project.

I wouldn't spend Boston's second rounder on him. But undrafted, sure, I can see that.

Perhaps they're just getting around to reviewing tape of the lesser known players? Dunno...

I don't really rate any of the NBL guys this year (Dieng, Besson, Sotto, Mojave King...Hukporti is playing another season...)

Thoughts on Dieng? Since he's the one gaining the most "buzz".
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#68 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri May 27, 2022 11:08 am

God Squad wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
Drgaliza2 wrote:

Had an OKC fan asking Aussie fans that the other day, and my opinion wasn't the consensus. There are people here who rate him. I'm just not one.

He was frankly putrid to start the year. He looked both soft and weak, and his shot was purely theoretical. Looked ok, but never went in.

He improved a lot as the year went on, and it happened suddenly. So...if you believe in the various aspects of his game being maximized, you've got a tall, fluid, athletic enough wing who can block shots and shoot threes.

For me, you have a tall guy who doesn't maximise his size enough to be a defensive hub, and isn't quick enough to guard NBA wings. And I don't trust his shot at all. I saw someone comping him to Kevin Knox, and that doesn't seem totally ridiculous. Michael Porter as a 29% shooter, maybe.

He's young, and like I said, there's plenty here seeing the upside. But in the OKC thread, I suggested using a #12 on him (which was the point of the question) was a bad choice, but using their 30...or even packaging the 30 and 34 to move up...made more sense. He's a second rounder to me, but there's enough 'almost' parts, and youth, that I can see the upside appeal, even if I don't believe in it.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#69 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri May 27, 2022 11:12 am

I should add to the above, I hope I'm wrong and some of the NBL guys land in the NBA and succeed, whether drafted or not.

The Next Stars program that guys like Terrance Ferguson, LaMelo, RJ Hampton and Giddey all went through (and Dieng is a part of) has been a great initiative and added some raw talent and interest to the league.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 848

Post#70 » by juanc » Fri May 27, 2022 3:34 pm

Call me crazy but I like Keion Brooks Jr. out of Kentucky. Probably goes undrafted or returns, but I can see him carving out a role in the league.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#71 » by kobyz » Fri May 27, 2022 4:46 pm

Johnny Juzang, can't understand why he is a second round guy
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,081

Post#72 » by Chi town » Fri May 27, 2022 5:00 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
God Squad wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Had an OKC fan asking Aussie fans that the other day, and my opinion wasn't the consensus. There are people here who rate him. I'm just not one.

He was frankly putrid to start the year. He looked both soft and weak, and his shot was purely theoretical. Looked ok, but never went in.

He improved a lot as the year went on, and it happened suddenly. So...if you believe in the various aspects of his game being maximized, you've got a tall, fluid, athletic enough wing who can block shots and shoot threes.

For me, you have a tall guy who doesn't maximise his size enough to be a defensive hub, and isn't quick enough to guard NBA wings. And I don't trust his shot at all. I saw someone comping him to Kevin Knox, and that doesn't seem totally ridiculous. Michael Porter as a 29% shooter, maybe.

He's young, and like I said, there's plenty here seeing the upside. But in the OKC thread, I suggested using a #12 on him (which was the point of the question) was a bad choice, but using their 30...or even packaging the 30 and 34 to move up...made more sense. He's a second rounder to me, but there's enough 'almost' parts, and youth, that I can see the upside appeal, even if I don't believe in it.

MPJ with a handle may be a solid comp. I think he has a lot of tools if developed while growing into his body he could be the best player from the draft. He may have the highest ceiling of skills size and age
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,081

Post#73 » by Chi town » Fri May 27, 2022 5:01 pm

No buzz on Kris Murray at all.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 551

Post#74 » by Goldbum » Sun May 29, 2022 12:29 pm

I see Dalen Terry as a SF and thinks he'll be a 5-10 year starter.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#75 » by Wizop » Mon May 30, 2022 1:55 am

Nembhard.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Post#76 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon May 30, 2022 2:56 am

Wizop wrote:Nembhard.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

I think he is this years Ayo, tall CG that shows quality role player talent sooner than expected. Ayo, Mann, that type of guy.
coutournant
Junior
And1: 92

Post#77 » by coutournant » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:53 am

Yoan Makoundou
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 659

Post#78 » by remi_222 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:43 am

coutournant wrote:Yoan Makoundou

and Kamagate ! :)
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,546

Post#79 » by drone3 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:27 pm

Jovic
coutournant
Junior
And1: 92

Post#80 » by coutournant » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:46 pm

remi_222 wrote:
coutournant wrote:Yoan Makoundou

and Kamagate ! :)

Kamagate is projected around #30-40, I think it's ok. Makoundou is nowhere in the mock drafts, and I think he could be even better than Kamagate

Return to NBA Draft