GG Jackson Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,168

Re: GG Jackson Thread 

Post#61 » by Braggins » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:31 pm

I haven't seen him play yet so I'm not making any sort of assessment, but it seems like every year recently the 6'8" physical specimen prototype hybrid wing player with questionable substance has either busted or is off to a bad start to their careers. Jonathan Kuminga, Patrick Williams, Kevin Knox, Sekou Dumbouya. Seems like guys in that archetype that seem like they should be good but mysteriously aren't even before coming into the NBA rarely end up panning out. The guys with those tools that end up good in the NBA usually seem to be obviously high impact guys at lower levels.

Again, Ive seen zero of his games so I'm not saying hes that type of player and it does seem like his awful team situation could be obscuring whether or not hes actually making an impact, but that would be my concern about him at this point.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,640

Post#62 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:59 pm

clyde21 wrote:
JTG_92940618 wrote:He must have some huge hands to palm the ball like that all the time.

he does, people are underestimating this kids physical pro, he's a prototype, and I don't throw around that word too often. i don't see a scenario where he's not a top 5 pick unless GMs are sleeping at the wheel.

impact metrics are not catching up yet b/c he's on a bad team but he's averaging 31/13 per 100 poss, that's absurd for a guy that hasn't turned 18 yet in the SEC.

people are looking for a Paul George comp, he's probably the closest thing we've seen.

I don't remember Paul George the prospect, but wasn't he a little bit more fluid than GG? I also don't agree with the Tatum comp for the same reason. I feel like GG looks more robotic but also stronger and wider. Handle and movement looks more polised than Siakam but I don't see the fluidity potential of George/Tatum
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,280

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:30 pm

Braggins wrote:I haven't seen him play yet so I'm not making any sort of assessment, but it seems like every year recently the 6'8" physical specimen prototype hybrid wing player with questionable substance has either busted or is off to a bad start to their careers. Jonathan Kuminga, Patrick Williams, Kevin Knox, Sekou Dumbouya. Seems like guys in that archetype that seem like they should be good but mysteriously aren't even before coming into the NBA rarely end up panning out. The guys with those tools that end up good in the NBA usually seem to be obviously high impact guys at lower levels.

Again, Ive seen zero of his games so I'm not saying hes that type of player and it does seem like his awful team situation could be obscuring whether or not hes actually making an impact, but that would be my concern about him at this point.

i don't agree with those comps at all esp for Knox/Sekou (Sekou was a big, Knox was far from prototypical and just flatout sucked), but you can do this for everyone, unless you're suggesting wing prototypes shouldn't be taken high in the draft, not sure what the point here is.

GG is not without faults and most definitely not bust-proof but he's the type of pick you make high in the draft and sleep well at night even if it doesn't work out.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#64 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:34 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
JTG_92940618 wrote:He must have some huge hands to palm the ball like that all the time.

he does, people are underestimating this kids physical pro, he's a prototype, and I don't throw around that word too often. i don't see a scenario where he's not a top 5 pick unless GMs are sleeping at the wheel.

impact metrics are not catching up yet b/c he's on a bad team but he's averaging 31/13 per 100 poss, that's absurd for a guy that hasn't turned 18 yet in the SEC.

people are looking for a Paul George comp, he's probably the closest thing we've seen.

I don't remember Paul George the prospect, but wasn't he a little bit more fluid than GG? I also don't agree with the Tatum comp for the same reason. I feel like GG looks more robotic but also stronger and wider. Handle and movement looks more polised than Siakam but I don't see the fluidity potential of George/Tatum

i think he's fluid enough for a 6-9 guy, and he doesn't quite have young PG's vertical pop but doesn't necessarily need to. enough parallels there.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#65 » by Braggins » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Braggins wrote:I haven't seen him play yet so I'm not making any sort of assessment, but it seems like every year recently the 6'8" physical specimen prototype hybrid wing player with questionable substance has either busted or is off to a bad start to their careers. Jonathan Kuminga, Patrick Williams, Kevin Knox, Sekou Dumbouya. Seems like guys in that archetype that seem like they should be good but mysteriously aren't even before coming into the NBA rarely end up panning out. The guys with those tools that end up good in the NBA usually seem to be obviously high impact guys at lower levels.

i don't agree with those comps at all esp for Knox/Sekou (Sekou was a big, Knox was far from prototypical and just flatout sucked), but you can do this for everyone, unless you're suggesting wing prototypes shouldn't be taken high in the draft, not sure what the point here is.

GG is not without faults and most definitely not bust-proof but he's the type of pick you make high in the draft and sleep well at night even if it doesn't work out.

All those guys had prototypical physical tools and combo forward size with some shooting ability and semblance of an offensive skillset, but never made any impact before coming to the NBA and continued to suck once they got there.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I don't really know if those are good comparison because hes one of the guys I haven't watched yet, but thats just my immediate concern about him, which is very loose and vibes based at this point. Like, when I do watch him that will be the thing I am looking out for, to basically see if he seems like another one of these big athletic combo forwards with a bit of skill but no actual substance. I'm worried the team situation will muddy the waters and make him harder to evaluate.

I still have him top 8 right now just based on the tools that seem to be there, but hes one of three guys in my top 11 that I haven't watched full games of yet, so its not a very confident placement.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#66 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Braggins wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

All those guys had prototypical physical tools and combo forward size with some shooting ability and semblance of an offensive skillset, but never made any impact before coming to the NBA and continued to suck once they got there.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I don't really know if those are good comparison because hes one of the guys I haven't watched yet, but thats just my immediate concern about him, which is very loose and vibes based at this point. Like, when I do watch him that will be the thing I am looking out for, to basically see if he seems like another one of these big athletic combo forwards with a bit of skill but no actual substance. I'm worried the team situation will muddy the waters and make him harder to evaluate.

I still have him top 8 right now just based on the tools that seem to be there, but hes one of three guys in my top 11 that I haven't watched full games of yet, so its not a very confident placement.

- Sekou was not a wing, he was a big with SOME perimeter skill traits that never actually developed

- Knox was a wing, but again not a prototype, small hands, crappy w/s, not a true 6-8 and was just bad

- Williams is/was a prototype, and even tho I didn't have him anywhere near #4 overall, you completely understand why Chicago made the pick, bust or not

- Minga a prototype im some ways (he does have small hands) but you justify that pick 10/10 even if it doesn't work out.

i'm still not sure what your point here - you admit to not watching the dude play and still make a bunch of half-assed comps in the process. and if your point is that prototypical wings shouldn't be drafted high I'm not sure what to tell you.

and yes, he's not playing on Duke or Kentucky. if that 'muddies the waters' for you by all means.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#67 » by Braggins » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Braggins wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

- Sekou was not a wing, he was a big with SOME perimeter skill traits that never actually developed

- Knox was a wing, but again not a prototype, small hands, crappy w/s, not a true 6-8 and was just bad

- Williams is/was a prototype, and even tho I didn't have him anywhere near #4 overall, you completely understand why Chicago made the pick, bust or not

- Minga a prototype im some ways (he does have small hands) but you justify that pick 10/10 even if it doesn't work out.

i'm still not sure what your point here - you admit to not watching the dude play and still make a bunch of half-assed comps in the process. and if your point is that prototypical wings shouldn't be drafted high I'm not sure what to tell you.

and yes, he's not playing on Duke or Kentucky. if that 'muddies the waters' for you by all means.

lol, the draft forum is so weird. Is it just the norm for everyone on here to get annoyed at anyone bringing up even the possibility of there being any concern about a player they like?

I'm not trying to make any point. All I said was what I was going to look out for when I watched him play based on my currently uninformed perception. You don't need to try to convince me those comparisons are wrong. I straight up said I don't know if those comparisons are appropriate, but those are just some recent guys that have some vague similarity to GG that havent panned out, so I'm going to look for things that differentiate him from those guys when I get around to evaluating him. Is that ok with you?

And if anything the thing I said about his team was meant in his favor. My concern there is that hes going to put up good stats and look good when I watch him play, but his team will be so bad that it makes him seem worse than he is to a lot of people.

edit: and like, I'm glad that you think my immediate uninformed concerns are unwarranted and I take that into serious consideration since I don't have much to go on myself besides the vague perception of someone who has only seem some highlights and read a little bit of scouting analysis on the guy.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:22 pm

i mean i don't know what kind of conversation you're trying to have here when you admit that you haven't seen him play, follow it up by making **** comps, and then admit that you're not trying to make any point when called out on it.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#69 » by Braggins » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:17 pm

I'm not trying to have some kind of in-depth conversation or argument about him because I don't have the knowledge base to go on right now. All my responses since my initial post have been me trying to explain that to you and you keep treating the conversation as if I'm disagreeing with you and you have to defeat me in argument or something.

Literally all I was saying was what my initial concern was at this point as someone who has only seen a few highlight vids and read some scouting analysis. There was nothing to call me out on because I don't have any kind of firm opinion one way or the other. I didn't mean to say I thought he was going to end up like Kevin Knox or those other guys, just that based on the general perception if there is a concern with him, it is that he'll end up like those guys, but I can't actually say if I think that will be the case unless I watch him play a good amount. Its just something I will look out for if I watch him play. If you say hes not like those guys and thats not a legit concern then thats great and I appreciate hearing your opinion, but I have nothing further to add and am certainly not trying to say you are wrong or have an argument. If I wasn't initially clear enough about what I was trying to say then thats my bad, but I don't know how to be any clearer at this point.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#70 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:48 pm

Braggins wrote:I'm not trying to have some kind of in-depth conversation or argument about him because I don't have the knowledge base to go on right now. All my responses since my initial post have been me trying to explain that to you and you keep treating the conversation as if I'm disagreeing with you and you have to defeat me in argument or something.

Literally all I was saying was what my initial concern was at this point as someone who has only seen a few highlight vids and read some scouting analysis. There was nothing to call me out on because I don't have any kind of firm opinion one way or the other. I didn't mean to say I thought he was going to end up like Kevin Knox or those other guys, just that based on the general perception if there is a concern with him, it is that he'll end up like those guys, but I can't actually say if I think that will be the case unless I watch him play a good amount. Its just something I will look out for if I watch him play. If you say hes not like those guys and thats not a legit concern then thats great and I appreciate hearing your opinion, but I have nothing further to add and am certainly not trying to say you are wrong or have an argument. If I wasn't initially clear enough about what I was trying to say then thats my bad, but I don't know how to be any clearer at this point.

but i still don't understand what you're concerned with. all you mentioned was Sekou Doumouya and Kevin Knox as if they have anything to do with GG.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#71 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:30 pm

Here's GG Jackson showing that he gives few ****. Shooting one-legged step-backs and a few wild attempts. He makes most of the more conventional shots though. He finished with 20 pts on 7/17 and 3/8 from 3pt in a blowout loss. Added a couple blocks. Seems like he's playing free and using SC as his personal sandbox. I can't imagine most coaches would let him play like this.

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#72 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:47 am

Catchall wrote:Here's GG Jackson showing that he gives few ****. Shooting one-legged step-backs and a few wild attempts. He makes most of the more conventional shots though. He finished with 20 pts on 7/17 and 3/8 from 3pt in a blowout loss. Added a couple blocks. Seems like he's playing free and using SC as his personal sandbox. I can't imagine most coaches would let him play like this.

Read on Twitter

i love it, he should take those shots all day long as often as he can, especially when his team is out of it. if he starts converting some of those at a semi-respectable level it's done.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,150

Post#73 » by The-Power » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:33 am

This is going to be this year's Jabari Smith tread, isn't it? :lol:
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,306

Post#74 » by God Squad » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:Here's GG Jackson showing that he gives few ****. Shooting one-legged step-backs and a few wild attempts. He makes most of the more conventional shots though. He finished with 20 pts on 7/17 and 3/8 from 3pt in a blowout loss. Added a couple blocks. Seems like he's playing free and using SC as his personal sandbox. I can't imagine most coaches would let him play like this.

Read on Twitter

i love it, he should take those shots all day long as often as he can, especially when his team is out of it. if he starts converting some of those at a semi-respectable level it's done.

In playstyle alone he looks very reminiscent to a Tatum/Melo/Gay type, not including percentages.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#75 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:51 pm

God Squad wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Read on Twitter

In playstyle alone he looks very reminiscent to a Tatum/Melo/Gay type, not including percentages.

to me best comp is post-injury PG13 but I can see the Tatum/Gay comps as well
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#76 » by Catchall » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:39 am

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,595

Post#77 » by MemphisX » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 am

Rudy Gay is a very nice comp. I like GG.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#78 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:00 am

clyde21 wrote:

Also, while I haven't seen enough to feel strongly or not on GG, hasn't he been very productive so far?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:33 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Also, while I haven't seen enough to feel strongly or not on GG, hasn't he been very productive so far?

yes, pretty unprecedented productivity for someone his age in high level conference, even tho the efficiency hasn't been there yet
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#80 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:08 am

I don't see a fantastic comp from what I am seeing so far. Has decent faceup skill, but not elite, okay shooter, good rebounder ... very old-school power forward game but with a passable three, and we are seeing that grow in value, I think. Interested to watch more.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft