Johnny Furphy - Kansas

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,238

Re: Johnny Furphy - Kansas 

Post#61 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:41 pm

In some cases like this one because Dick hasn't been good his rookie season and people are impatient and employ massive amounts of recency bias, it's so obvious what is going on here with Furthy. Tall white shooter playing for the same team. Of course people are sheep and can't get out of their own heads so they think Dick sucks (sucks dick whatever) and Furthy is filthy. But he is clearly worse across the board statistically. It's not even really all that close a comparison.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,275

Post#62 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:10 pm

i mean they are not similar as prospects nor do they play the same position or fill the same archetype, so not sure why we're even talking about this comp.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#63 » by EMG518 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:06 am

clyde21 wrote:i mean they are not similar as prospects nor do they play the same position or fill the same archetype, so not sure why we're even talking about this comp.

They are both tall blond white guys that played basketball at Kansas. Obviously the comp :D
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,445

Post#64 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:20 am

clyde21 wrote:i mean they are not similar as prospects nor do they play the same position or fill the same archetype, so not sure why we're even talking about this comp.

On the vecenie podcast they said he has a shot to be one and done and be a lotto.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#65 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:28 am

You have to be smoking crack to think they are not the same archetype. Clyde always thinks he's being the clever contrarian. These two dudes are clearly wings. If Furphy isn't a "tall white shooter" then he has no other business with the NBA. This isn't Josh Giddey "tall white point guard" archetype.

I'm sorry but someone tell me how Furphy is not the same archetype as Dick. That is rich. I'd love to hear this one. Someone gonna come in here and tell me Furphy is a center lol.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#66 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:30 am

Furphy is a stretch 4, Dick is a proto SG

"tall white and can shoot" is not an archetype

so much clownery on this board lately is actively mind bending.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#67 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 1:48 am

clyde21 wrote:Furphy is a stretch 4, Dick is a proto SG

"tall white and can shoot" is not an archetype

so much clownery on this board lately is actively mind bending.

They're both wings. I had hopes Grady could be more of a guard but he can barely dribble. :lol:

So yes, in the end they are both "tall white shooters". There's really no way around it. Functionally that's what the hell they are. Sorry it isn't cool or whatever.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:24 am

Lol ok
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,302

Post#69 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:35 am

azcatz11 wrote:

On the vecenie podcast they said he has a shot to be one and done and be a lotto.

The lottery buzz for Furphy is growing:

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/johnny-furphy-is-a-lottery-pick-hiding

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#70 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:42 am

EvanZ wrote:In some cases like this one because Dick hasn't been good his rookie season and people are impatient and employ massive amounts of recency bias, it's so obvious what is going on here with Furthy. Tall white shooter playing for the same team. Of course people are sheep and can't get out of their own heads so they think Dick sucks (sucks dick whatever) and Furthy is filthy. But he is clearly worse across the board statistically. It's not even really all that close a comparison.

3PA/100 possessions is basically the same. Points per 40 mins is basically the same.

Furphy has higher 3 FG%, a much higher TS%, a slightly higher BPM, looks to be slightly taller too. Gradey was a better off ball defender but Furphy is a better on ball defender..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#71 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:45 am

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:In some cases like this one because Dick hasn't been good his rookie season and people are impatient and employ massive amounts of recency bias, it's so obvious what is going on here with Furthy. Tall white shooter playing for the same team. Of course people are sheep and can't get out of their own heads so they think Dick sucks (sucks dick whatever) and Furthy is filthy. But he is clearly worse across the board statistically. It's not even really all that close a comparison.

3PA/100 possessions is basically the same. Points per 40 mins is basically the same.

Furphy has higher 3 FG%, a much higher TS%, a slightly higher BPM, looks to be slightly taller too. Gradey was a better off ball defender but Furphy is a better on ball defender..

It's funny you mention 3PT% but you don't mention how few 3s he's taken (74 vs 200) and you don't appear to care to look at his FT%. He's a tall white maybe-shooter. That's about it.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#72 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:07 am

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

It's funny you mention 3PT% but you don't mention how few 3s he's taken (74 vs 200) and you don't appear to care to look at his FT%. He's a tall white maybe-shooter. That's about it.

Was it really necessary to tell us the color of his skin? :noway:
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#73 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:3PA/100 possessions is basically the same. Points per 40 mins is basically the same.

Was it really necessary to tell us the color of his skin? :noway:

Probably as necessary as asking that question.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#74 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:14 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

i mean, 2/3 of his FGA are threes. he's taken 75 threes and 39 twos. making 43% of those threes - i'm going to go ahead and call him a shooter. and before you point again to his FT shooting, 75 3pt attempts is a much better sample than 34 FT attempts.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#75 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:59 pm

He might be better than Risacher..

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/L12zBVwTnyQ
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#76 » by ItsDanger » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:27 pm

Dick and Furphy are very different types of players.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#77 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:44 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:3PA/100 possessions is basically the same. Points per 40 mins is basically the same.

i mean, 2/3 of his FGA are threes. he's taken 75 threes and 39 twos. making 43% of those threes - i'm going to go ahead and call him a shooter. and before you point again to his FT shooting, 75 3pt attempts is a much better sample than 34 FT attempts.

It's actually likely not because free throw percentages settle much faster than 3pt %'s. Steph Curry isn't ever a bad free throw shooter in 34 attempts. But in 75 3pt attempts he has had bad weeks. To him that is literally like 6-7 games worth of 3s.

To really gauge 3pt shooting in college I've come to the realization you probably can't really be sure about shooters until they get to 300 or even 400 3s. And that's usually not even possible as a Freshman obviously.

But by all means don't let me tell you how to drink in the stats however you want.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:45 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Dick and Furphy are very different types of players.

Yeah, yeah. Very different. Furphy is an inch taller and has a cool accent. And a mullet! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#79 » by ItsDanger » Mon Feb 5, 2024 5:48 pm

EvanZ wrote:

Yeah, yeah. Very different. Furphy is an inch taller and has a cool accent. And a mullet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dick is a better passer, better off ball instincts so far. Furphy is a better rebounder and on ball defender.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#80 » by EvanZ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:06 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Dick is a better passer, better off ball instincts so far. Furphy is a better rebounder and on ball defender.

I mean these are not meaningful enough differences IN THE NBA to mean anything ot me. Every player is different from literally every other player in the NBA if you drill into any comparison. Literally no two players are exactly the same. It's so ridiculous the lengths people go to make mountains out of mole hills in these comps. These two guys for all intents and purposes IN THE NBA are going to be the same archetype. It's just not that hard. Don't overthink it. The only question here is which one will do it better?

Return to NBA Draft