Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#81 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:21 pm

I think Green plays and is a lot stronger and more physical than Lavine. I think that will be a huge difference maker down the line. Some guys just play strong despite being thin. KD was always thst way, and him becoming a great finisher early when similarly rail thin guys couldn’t wasn’t a shock.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#82 » by EMG518 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:23 pm

I am definitely going Green at 1 if I am the Pistons. Have him as the better prospect and better fit. He has all the intangibles on top of all the elite tools.. Have to take him #1 imo.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#83 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 pm

I just get this feeling by January everyone is going to be saying 'holy **** - this kids absolutely special' with regards to Jalen Green. It doesn't happen often. I'd say of year 2000 on its really only been LeBron and Luka where you knew they were destined for all-time great status as a year-1 player.

I get why Detroit would take Cade #1, hell if my job was on the line I'd probably do it too. And I love Cade as a fit there. I just think Green is special. If he goes to the Rockets he will average 25 ppg next season.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,495

Post#84 » by Big J » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 am

I think taking Green number 1 is a no brainer. He's probably the most natural scorer to come into the league since Durant. His floor is a more slithery JRich. I'll be absolutely shocked if he falls to 3.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#85 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:22 am

Big J wrote:I think taking Green number 1 is a no brainer. He's probably the most natural scorer to come into the league since Durant. His floor is a more slithery JRich. I'll be absolutely shocked if he falls to 3.

just the possibility of that speaks volumes on why i love this class.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#86 » by tmorgan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:29 am

Man, I loved getting the top pick for my squad, but this is a nightmare. I seriously don’t know what I would do if I were in Weaver’s shoes.

One thing I’d definitely do is call up Houston and start messing with their heads. Dunno if it would work, but to end up with either Cade or Green plus a bunch of additional compensation (our owed pick back, and another Houston #1 would be a good price) would be ideal.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,299

Post#87 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 am

tmorgan wrote:Man, I loved getting the top pick for my squad, but this is a nightmare. I seriously don’t know what I would do if I were in Weaver’s shoes.

One thing I’d definitely do is call up Houston and start messing with their heads. Dunno if it would work, but to end up with either Cade or Green plus a bunch of additional compensation (our owed pick back, and another Houston #1 would be a good price) would be ideal.

Hou would rather stay pat and take whoever you dont, no reason for them to trade up, unless they have Cade a tier above everyone else which I doubt they do
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#88 » by tmorgan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:11 am

clyde21 wrote:
tmorgan wrote:Man, I loved getting the top pick for my squad, but this is a nightmare. I seriously don’t know what I would do if I were in Weaver’s shoes.

Hou would rather stay pat and take whoever you dont, no reason for them to trade up, unless they have Cade a tier above everyone else which I doubt they do

What if they have Green a tier above, and Weaver can convince them he’s leaning that way? No reason not to at least try.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#89 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:15 am

tmorgan wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

What if they have Green a tier above, and Weaver can convince them he’s leaning that way? No reason not to at least try.

well yea, if they have Green or Cade a tier above everyone else on their own, then they might bite depending on how much it'll take...but I doubt that they do...sure Det can try but I wouldn't get cute, Detroit should just take whoever they think is the best prospect at 1 and call it a day, you don't get the #1 pick every day
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#90 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 am

Cade and Suggs will get the jump early but wait until halfway through second season or year 3.

Heck even rookie year the sky is the limit on this kid.

My god final form Green will be amazing.

Pistons have 4 wings (2 starters Grant & Bey and two on the bench Sekou, Jackson).

Take Green (Pistons needs a stud SG prospect anyway and Green is one of the best in a looooong time), and the rest is history.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#91 » by God Squad » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:25 am

clyde21 wrote:if you actually watched the Ignite team you'd realize that spacing was a huge issue on that team, there weren't any shooters on that team (i'd argue that Green was actually the best shooter)...so your point is not even relevant to the guy you're talking about and what he was seeing on the court.

and yes, spacing in general is better in semi pros and pros than in college...again...whats your point? how is that a knock on Green? no offense but there is literally 0 common sense in your dig against Green.

he's not a perfect prospect, there is stuff you can criticize other than faulting him for picking the G League over college.

It's his way of saying Cade > Green. Honestly the extent a lot of people go to in order to discredit another prospect in favor of their own is crazy.

"Austin Daye and Seku did such and such in the Gleague and they sucked in the NBA".

Admittedly I wasn't the biggest Seku fan, But I know Clyde was. So I'm not exactly surpised to see him struggle IMO he was raw and the typical "high ceiling/high potential" pick we see every year. Seku did flash a Pascal lite game is rookie year, so i'm not saying he's a bust.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#92 » by God Squad » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:35 am

I don't envy the position the Pistons are in. It's a very difficult decision. IMO being first in this draft is pretty rough, it's almost easier picking 2nd and 3rd. The Raps got 4th and we basically don't get a "choice" per say and most likely picking who falls to us. Which again I think is easier as opposed to choosing who out of the four has a higher ceiling and chance at reaching it.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,145

Post#93 » by The Moose » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:50 am

God Squad wrote:I don't envy the position the Pistons are in. It's a very difficult decision. IMO being first in this draft is pretty rough, it's almost easier picking 2nd and 3rd. The Raps got 4th and we basically don't get a "choice" per say and most likely picking who falls to us. Which again I think is easier as opposed to choosing who out of the four has a higher ceiling and chance at reaching it.

Difficult decision sure, but a good decision to have to make. I'm much happier stressing over who they will pick at 1 then having to decide between 2nd and 3rd tier prospects all those years in the 7-10 range.

I don't think Weaver can go wrong with this pick, but I'm hoping its Cade. Feel like he brings more impact to the game overall, even if he's not as potent of a scorer. Also more of a leader and orchestrator than I can see Green being.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#94 » by God Squad » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:54 am

The Moose wrote:
God Squad wrote:I don't envy the position the Pistons are in. It's a very difficult decision. IMO being first in this draft is pretty rough, it's almost easier picking 2nd and 3rd. The Raps got 4th and we basically don't get a "choice" per say and most likely picking who falls to us. Which again I think is easier as opposed to choosing who out of the four has a higher ceiling and chance at reaching it.

Difficult decision sure, but a good decision to have to make. I'm much happier stressing over who they will pick at 1 then having to decide between 2nd and 3rd tier prospects all those years in the 7-10 range.

I don't think Weaver can go wrong with this pick, but I'm hoping its Cade. Feel like he brings more impact to the game overall, even if he's not as potent of a scorer. Also more of a leader and orchestrator than I can see Green being.

100%. Piston's have been in a weird spot for a while.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,107

Post#95 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:56 pm

Big J wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:I think the G-league decision was a great choice for someone like Green, who I rate significantly lower than everyone here apparently. Being able to cut/drive to the rim when there is a "3 in the key" call makes him look better as an athlete and slasher than he actually is, if we were to compare him to a college player. I think this pick will be very unfortunately for whoever takes him, and the league will learn a lot about how to evaluate G-league talent vs college talent.

So, basically fringe NBA players fighting for millions can’t guard him because of the 3 second rule, but he would have been exposed by a bunch of future plumbers & insurance salesmen at Northern Iowa?

While you have a point when I watch g league I don’t see any players trying hard on defense. All the games from the g league bubble reminds me of a scrimmage. Sure the players are more athletic, but college players give tons more effort defensively and actually try different schemes.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 533

Post#96 » by Phenomenonsense » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:32 pm

God Squad wrote:
clyde21 wrote:if you actually watched the Ignite team you'd realize that spacing was a huge issue on that team, there weren't any shooters on that team (i'd argue that Green was actually the best shooter)...so your point is not even relevant to the guy you're talking about and what he was seeing on the court.

and yes, spacing in general is better in semi pros and pros than in college...again...whats your point? how is that a knock on Green? no offense but there is literally 0 common sense in your dig against Green.

he's not a perfect prospect, there is stuff you can criticize other than faulting him for picking the G League over college.

It's his way of saying Cade > Green. Honestly the extent a lot of people go to in order to discredit another prospect in favor of their own is crazy.

"Austin Daye and Seku did such and such in the Gleague and they sucked in the NBA".

Admittedly I wasn't the biggest Seku fan, But I know Clyde was. So I'm not exactly surpised to see him struggle IMO he was raw and the typical "high ceiling/high potential" pick we see every year. Seku did flash a Pascal lite game is rookie year, so i'm not saying he's a bust.

It has nothing to do with Cade versus Green. As a Pistons fan I didn't have either one on my radar until we won the lottery, and in watching a Gleague prospect for the first time I am incredibly unsure of how to measure success or talent. I'm posing questions. What does it mean for prospects coming out of the G league if someone like Sekou can dominate and then be worthless in the NBA? How do you adjust your critical eye to make that make sense? I'm down on green compared to people here but I'm not anti green, I am saying I do not know how to even begin evaluating him. We had to change our expectations of euro drafting due to someone like Milicic. Athletic overseas doesn't mean athletic in the NBA for example. I am only questioning what we need to be aware of as fans and armchair scouts. I wouldn't touch green with a 10 foot pole, but that has little to do with his possible talent level and much more to do with being a G league experiment.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#97 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Big J wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:I think the G-league decision was a great choice for someone like Green, who I rate significantly lower than everyone here apparently. Being able to cut/drive to the rim when there is a "3 in the key" call makes him look better as an athlete and slasher than he actually is, if we were to compare him to a college player. I think this pick will be very unfortunately for whoever takes him, and the league will learn a lot about how to evaluate G-league talent vs college talent.

So, basically fringe NBA players fighting for millions can’t guard him because of the 3 second rule, but he would have been exposed by a bunch of future plumbers & insurance salesmen at Northern Iowa?

While you have a point when I watch g league I don’t see any players trying hard on defense. All the games from the g league bubble reminds me of a scrimmage. Sure the players are more athletic, but college players give tons more effort defensively and actually try different schemes.

ridiculous...players in the G League are semi pros doing this for a living, many are trying to feed their families and trying to make the NBA or a team abroad and are showcasing themselves accordingly...the idea that college kids are trying harder than G League players is unfounded and blatantly wrong.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#98 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Phenomenonsense wrote:
God Squad wrote:

It has nothing to do with Cade versus Green. As a Pistons fan I didn't have either one on my radar until we won the lottery, and in watching a Gleague prospect for the first time I am incredibly unsure of how to measure success or talent. I'm posing questions. What does it mean for prospects coming out of the G league if someone like Sekou can dominate and then be worthless in the NBA? How do you adjust your critical eye to make that make sense? I'm down on green compared to people here but I'm not anti green, I am saying I do not know how to even begin evaluating him. We had to change our expectations of euro drafting due to someone like Milicic. Athletic overseas doesn't mean athletic in the NBA for example. I am only questioning what we need to be aware of as fans and armchair scouts. I wouldn't touch green with a 10 foot pole, but that has little to do with his possible talent level and much more to do with being a G league experiment.

i think it's moreso this idea that Jalen wasn't going to hack it in college and took the safer exit going G-League. The decision he made was groundbreaking he was in the conversation for the top prospect in his class and legit had any school he wanted to chose from if he so wanted to go to college. This isn't a situation where he had to land here because he was optionless.

Also, for you having admittedly not having much information to go off of with Green outside of this G-League concept you've presented, it might be better to fall back and receive the information from those who may be more informed on the matter. This argument that a person can be great in the G-League and then not play well in the NBA can also be applied to college players not to mention it's a complete dismissal of G-League success stories.

end of the day, the talent is the talent. Giving Green's strengths and weaknesses a critical eye is the real evaluation not just declaring because he came from the G-League and because another player that also came from the G-League he will end up underperforming the same way.

Jah Okafor dominated at Duke
Jayson Tatum dominated at Duke

evaluate the talent sir.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,627

Post#99 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm taking Jalen Green over anyone else in the draft.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 533

Post#100 » by Phenomenonsense » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Marcus wrote:
Phenomenonsense wrote:
God Squad wrote:It's his way of saying Cade > Green. Honestly the extent a lot of people go to in order to discredit another prospect in favor of their own is crazy.

i think it's moreso this idea that Jalen wasn't going to hack it in college and took the safer exit going G-League. The decision he made was groundbreaking he was in the conversation for the top prospect in his class and legit had any school he wanted to chose from if he so wanted to go to college. This isn't a situation where he had to land here because he was optionless.

Also, for you having admittedly not having much information to go off of with Green outside of this G-League concept you've presented, it might be better to fall back and receive the information from those who may be more informed on the matter. This argument that a person can be great in the G-League and then not play well in the NBA can also be applied to college players not to mention it's a complete dismissal of G-League success stories.

end of the day, the talent is the talent. Giving Green's strengths and weaknesses a critical eye is the real evaluation not just declaring because he came from the G-League and because another player that also came from the G-League he will end up underperforming the same way.

Jah Okafor dominated at Duke
Jayson Tatum dominated at Duke

evaluate the talent sir.

If you asked me about Okafor I would've told you about Monroe, that I would need to see something exceedingly special to excite me for Okafor and that I hadn't seen anything to distinguish them as small, under the rim players.

The problem with falling back to your knowledge is that you don't recognize the concerns I have of evaluating g league prospects. You can say "dude looks like he can score at a top tier rate" all you want, but if I am questioning the differences between g league and a scrimmage, and all you say is he can score again, you'll have to forgive me for not buying in. Like I said with Euro talent, there has to be an established expectations and understanding of the differences between the two leagues. The difference of college and nba is more than well documented and can still be wrong obviously. I'm not saying green can't be good. I'm saying it is a huge gamble, I have seen nothing to differentiate him from the players previously mentioned who went down to the g league, and we don't know enough about how the game translates.

Greens strengths are largely measured in a different rule set from college against players who don't care about defense even if they are superior talents.

Return to NBA Draft