Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Re: Kyle Filipowski 

Post#81 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 7, 2024 2:22 am

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:ehh, i think the Alpy comp is a stretch, Flip makes good reads and can get the ball where it needs to go but if you're drafting him to be your inside-out offensive hub you're gonna be disappointed unless there is outlier development in that department

Sure, I'm just saying there are signs that he could be that player. This isn't Kel'el Ware out there offensively.

Yeah I was just discussing with someone who whether Ware or Missi reminds more of JaVale lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,308

Post#82 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 7, 2024 2:23 am

EvanZ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:ehh, i think the Alpy comp is a stretch, Flip makes good reads and can get the ball where it needs to go but if you're drafting him to be your inside-out offensive hub you're gonna be disappointed unless there is outlier development in that department

Sure, I'm just saying there are signs that he could be that player. This isn't Kel'el Ware out there offensively.

Yeah I was just discussing with someone who whether Ware or Missi reminds more of JaVale lol

A Locked-In JaVale who is self-aware is a hell of a player.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#83 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:42 am

He just needs a little more refinement and to put on some more muscle. I think he has it in him. Olynyk is his floor. Such a weak draft that he might not even crack the top 10 :wink:
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#84 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:53 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:He just needs a little more refinement and to put on some more muscle. I think he has it in him. Olynyk is his floor. Such a weak draft that he might not even crack the top 10 :wink:

I think Olynyk is a low-to-medium outcome for him. There is no way it's his floor, but Olynyk was and still is an extremely valuable player in the NBA.

I think Filipowski's higher-end outcomes are similar to Olynyk offensively, with a bit more juice as a scorer close to the rim, a better playmaker/passer [Olynyk is already an excellent connector] and then a better rim protector defensively.

The low-end of Filipowski could be that he never develops a reliable 3P shot, which makes his offense worse than Olynyk unless he becomes a Sengun-level post-player offensively [which is not likely] and that he is as slow or slower laterally as Olynyk and doesn't become neutral on that end.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#85 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:41 am

Colbinii wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:He just needs a little more refinement and to put on some more muscle. I think he has it in him. Olynyk is his floor. Such a weak draft that he might not even crack the top 10 :wink:

I think Olynyk is a low-to-medium outcome for him. There is no way it's his floor, but Olynyk was and still is an extremely valuable player in the NBA.

I think Filipowski's higher-end outcomes are similar to Olynyk offensively, with a bit more juice as a scorer close to the rim, a better playmaker/passer [Olynyk is already an excellent connector] and then a better rim protector defensively.

The low-end of Filipowski could be that he never develops a reliable 3P shot, which makes his offense worse than Olynyk unless he becomes a Sengun-level post-player offensively [which is not likely] and that he is as slow or slower laterally as Olynyk and doesn't become neutral on that end.

after his hip surgery he's noticeably quicker on defense and already looks to have better feet than Olynyk. It's allowed him to put the ball on the floor and get by guys which you'll rarely see from Olynyk. I feel like a fully developed Filipowski, whether he has a three or not will still be an equal player to Olynyk which is why it's his floor imo. He's way too skilled at 7 feet tall and with his makeup to fail. If he packs on some weight his ceiling could be Sabonis lite. 18-10-4 type numbers maybe.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,595

Post#86 » by MemphisX » Sun Jan 7, 2024 1:10 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

after his hip surgery he's noticeably quicker on defense and already looks to have better feet than Olynyk. It's allowed him to put the ball on the floor and get by guys which you'll rarely see from Olynyk. I feel like a fully developed Filipowski, whether he has a three or not will still be an equal player to Olynyk which is why it's his floor imo. He's way too skilled at 7 feet tall and with his makeup to fail. If he packs on some weight his ceiling could be Sabonis lite. 18-10-4 type numbers maybe.

KO is like 13/8/8 per 36 shooting damn near 50/40/90. I think it is a higher bar than is being alluded to here.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#87 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:53 pm

MemphisX wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

KO is like 13/8/8 per 36 shooting damn near 50/40/90. I think it is a higher bar than is being alluded to here.

Not by me

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#88 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 7, 2024 6:01 pm

MemphisX wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

That's really low scoring per 36. He also isn't a high-minute eater, so using Per 36 isn't really selling anything meaningful. He is, ideally, a 3rd big who has enough playmaking/passing chops to be a connector offensively and can shoot the 3 ball.

What bar do you think people are talking about here? How did I, in any way, undersell Olynyk?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#89 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:41 am

Huge game for Flip. Still in my top 5 pretty easily but I don’t think it’s going to just be me anymore.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#90 » by The Moose » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:42 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

some vision clips

I thought he should've been top 10 last year, and would have a hard time keeping him out of the top 5 this year
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#91 » by CptCrunch » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:22 am

Kyle Filipowski should be drafted high as he has a unique skillset. But his downside scares me being a mediocre rebounder for his size, being a meh finisher scares me a lot.

If he does well, it becomes wow it was obvious this guy has outlier talents in passing and shooting.

If he busts out, duh he can't defend or rebound for his size. Mediocre athelete and crappy finishing.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#92 » by Colbinii » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:45 am

The Moose wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

some vision clips

I thought he should've been top 10 last year, and would have a hard time keeping him out of the top 5 this year

Why I have been so high on his passing is because he is making NBA passes. One of the most common "higher level" passes in the NBA are the passes from the elbow/strong side post to the opposite corner/3 point line. He makes the reads quick and his size allows him to deliver the passes at easy-to-throw angles and with velocity.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,560

Post#93 » by zzaj » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:14 am

He kinda reminds me of a better passing, less doofus-ey, more mobile Meyers Leonard. That’s not altogether a great thing.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#94 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:29 am

Colbinii wrote:

Could Zach Collins be a bit better comp than Olynyk? And maybe something a bit like Horford or a less physical Sabonis as high end offensively?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#95 » by mattao313 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Could Zach Collins be a bit better comp than Olynyk? And maybe something a bit like Horford or a less physical Sabonis as high end offensively?
Frank Kaminsky with better passing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#96 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:04 pm

mattao313 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Frank Kaminsky with better passing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

I like the Frank comparison, but contradictorily think that Kyle will be a significantly better player (A 15ppg guy IMO - not a star, not a scrub).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#97 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:00 pm

Still dont see an NBA starter with him. Ya his 3pt shot is improved this year (mainly from this last 3 game stretch), but his FT% has dropped to sub 70%. Even though he's no longer playing alongside Lively this year, his rebounding has dropped a little as well. His passing has improved a good amount.

But my main thing is, Im just not sure what he does well is going to translate well against NBA athletes. He is just too stiff in his movements in my opinion.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,384

Post#98 » by ItsDanger » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Still dont see an NBA starter with him. Ya his 3pt shot is improved this year (mainly from this last 3 game stretch), but his FT% has dropped to sub 70%. Even though he's no longer playing alongside Lively this year, his rebounding has dropped a little as well. His passing has improved a good amount.

But my main thing is, Im just not sure what he does well is going to translate well against NBA athletes. He is just too stiff in his movements in my opinion.

Finally saw a Duke game expecting to see improved mobility but I just didn't notice a huge difference from last season. The 1st question for Filipkowski is can he hold his own defensively, and I don't know at this point.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#99 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:30 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Still dont see an NBA starter with him. Ya his 3pt shot is improved this year (mainly from this last 3 game stretch), but his FT% has dropped to sub 70%. Even though he's no longer playing alongside Lively this year, his rebounding has dropped a little as well. His passing has improved a good amount.

Finally saw a Duke game expecting to see improved mobility but I just didn't notice a huge difference from last season. The 1st question for Filipkowski is can he hold his own defensively, and I don't know at this point.

Ya the whole, hip surgery over the offseason really helped his mobility and agility stuff ended up being just your normal offseason talk (gained 15 pounds of muscle kind of thing).

Dont get me wrong, the dude is a stud college player. I just dont think his game translates to the NBA. I can see a Moe Wagner comp for Flip, to me that's his closest, even then I think Wagner is more agile. Flip does look like the better passer than Moe, but is it enough of an outlier for Flip to be a legit starting 5 in the league? I dont think so.

I just dont see the role. In the NBA you basically have 2 kind of 5s, you have your offensive hubs or you have rim running defenders. I dont think Flip's skill level is an outlier enough to be a legit offensive hub in the NBA. He also doesnt have the wiggle and agility to play the 4 either. So he's going to most likely be a strict 5 in the NBA. So Im just seeing energy big off the bench.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,314

Post#100 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:06 pm

ItsDanger wrote:

His mobility, flexibility and explosiveness is definitely better this season. You can see it on film and you can see it in the stats with the huge jump in blocks %.

I'm obviously not saying he's as good as all these guys or making a direct 1 to 1 comparison but he's got some shades of all these guys..

Lauri Markannen
Kevin Love
Kelly Olynyk
Nikola Vucevic
Wendell Carter, Jr
Alperen Sengun
Domantas Sabonis
Danilo Gallinari
Nikola Jokic

Guys with this level of production + size + skill (handle, shot creation, finishing, passing, footwork, vision, feel, shooting) at 7'0" with multiple seasons as the go-to scorer on one of the best teams in college basketball..he's a top 10 pick at a minimum - especially in a weaker draft class.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to NBA Draft