Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

summary
Junior
And1: 4

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#861 » by summary » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:03 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Big J wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Edey has worked hard to develop the skills to become an elite NCAA player, even if he’s not a top NBA prospect. Sure a lot of G-League guys could put up numbers in the NCAA, but few are going to lead a team through the tourney to a title game.

As far as his NBA prospects go, I’d think someone in the teens who would at least like some more team height would take a go at him. By the teens you’re mostly ending up with role players anyway, and he seems like a reasonable low ceiling but higher floor prospect.

Lotta bum or non NBA players have also led their teams to an NCAA title game. Sanogo, Sean May, Pervis Ellison, ect.

I'm not saying leading a big tourney run makes them a legit NBA player, of course the athletic floor required in the NBA is significantly higher. I only commented because of the Edey and Wiseman comparisons which IMO are very apples to oranges. At each their respective drafts, Wiseman will have been drafted higher for a reason, but I don't think Wiseman could have done what Edey has done this tournament-

30 PTS | 21 REB, 23 PTS | 14 REB, 27 PTS | 14 REB, 40 PTS | 16 REB, 20 PTS | 12 REB.

Pervis was a stud and clear leader in Louisville's title run and a good comparison in that regard to Edey, but injuries cut his NBA career short. I think the other guys much less so?

Well similarly Sean May had a knee injury early in his NBA career that required micro fracture surgery and was noticeably not the same afterwards. He also didn't really lead that team any more than Felton did, or honestly it was a team effort considering how Marvin Williams and Rashad McCants played in that tourney. Edey literally has twice as many points as the next guy on the roster while also being the focal point of the defense so it doesn't seem like a comparison made in good faith.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,552

Post#862 » by GoBobs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:15 am

I am expecting to see Edey dominate Clingan tomorrow night. Anyone else got any predictions?
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,495

Post#863 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:20 am

GoBobs wrote:I am expecting to see Edey dominate Clingan tomorrow night. Anyone else got any predictions?

I predict that what he does will be meaningless as it relates to his ability to play on the next level.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,552

Post#864 » by GoBobs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:43 am

Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:I am expecting to see Edey dominate Clingan tomorrow night. Anyone else got any predictions?

I predict that what he does will be meaningless as it relates to his ability to play on the next level.

Oh... so if Clingan dominates him, scores 30 on him, blocks him 10 times and holds him to zero rebounds you won't be in here taking victory laps... Good to know
Big J
General Manager

Post#865 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:57 am

GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:

Oh... so if Clingan dominates him, scores 30 on him, blocks him 10 times and holds him to zero rebounds you won't be in here taking victory laps... Good to know

You're right I won't, because guarding centers isn't going to be Edey's downfall at the next level. It's going to be guards who pick & roll him off the floor.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,271

Post#866 » by FrodoBaggins » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:37 am

Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:

You're right I won't, because guarding centers isn't going to be Edey's downfall at the next level. It's going to be guards who pick & roll him off the floor.

Just like they do Jokic and Sabonis right? He-he!
Big J
General Manager

Post#867 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:01 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:
Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

Those guys are offensive hubs who can pass and shoot. Edey is a back to the basket post up dinosaur big.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 231

Post#868 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:24 pm

I am not even saying he's gonna succeed in the nba, but why do some of you keep comparing a 7'4" player with a 7'10 wingspan to 6'9-6'10 Cs with mediocre to even negative wingspans? Even if they all play an old school back to the basket game, that size difference isn't something you can just handwave away. It straight up makes them different types of players.
Big J
General Manager

Post#869 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:29 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:I am not even saying he's gonna succeed in the nba, but why do some of you keep comparing a 7'4" player with a 7'10 wingspan to 6'9-6'10 Cs with mediocre to even negative wingspans? Even if they all play an old school back to the basket game, that size difference isn't something you can just handwave away. It straight up makes them different types of players.

We have compared him to another guy with that size: Boban.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#870 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:48 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:I am not even saying he's gonna succeed in the nba, but why do some of you keep comparing a 7'4" player with a 7'10 wingspan to 6'9-6'10 Cs with mediocre to even negative wingspans? Even if they all play an old school back to the basket game, that size difference isn't something you can just handwave away. It straight up makes them different types of players.

At least with Boban, the archetype matches up a lot more size wise. I do think Edey is a lot less stiff than him, and has far better conditioning. Plus he's coming in the league at a much younger age, so who knows what adjustments he can make to his game to carve out a spot in the league. He's probably not turning into Bucks Brook Lopez, but I didn't expect Lopez to turn into him either.
Big J
General Manager

Post#871 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:02 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:

At least with Boban, the archetype matches up a lot more size wise. I do think Edey is a lot less stiff than him, and has far better conditioning. Plus he's coming in the league at a much younger age, so who knows what adjustments he can make to his game to carve out a spot in the league. He's probably not turning into Bucks Brook Lopez, but I didn't expect Lopez to turn into him either.

Yea, Lopez is known for his defense and shooting. Edey is just post ups and nothing else.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#872 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:35 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:

Yea, Lopez is known for his defense and shooting. Edey is just post ups and nothing else.

Though if you had asked me 10 years ago, I definitely wouldn't have said Lopez was a shooter or defender, his brother was the defender. Nets Brook was all about the post. He didn't shoot 3s until nearly a decade in the league, and he literally went from 0 to 5 attempts a game in one offseason.
I am not saying Edey will be that, but situations like Lopez keeps my mind open to the possibilities especially if he work hard and goes to the right org.
Big J
General Manager

Post#873 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:02 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Though if you had asked me 10 years ago, I definitely wouldn't have said Lopez was a shooter or defender, his brother was the defender. Nets Brook was all about the post. He didn't shoot 3s until nearly a decade in the league, and he literally went from 0 to 5 attempts a game in one offseason.
I am not saying Edey will be that, but situations like Lopez keeps my mind open to the possibilities especially if he work hard and goes to the right org.

That’s true, but Lopez entered the league in a time when bigs weren’t asked to shoot. Edey is a 4 year senior who doesn’t attempt college 3s. You would think he would have at least been experimenting on that aspect of his game at this point considering where the league is going,
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#874 » by FrodoBaggins » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:14 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:

That’s true, but Lopez entered the league in a time when bigs weren’t asked to shoot. Edey is a 4 year senior who doesn’t attempt college 3s. You would think he would have at least been experimenting on that aspect of his game at this point considering where the league is going,

You can concede a point you know. He had you there. No need to resist.
Big J
General Manager

Post#875 » by Big J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:25 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:
Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

You can concede a point you know. He had you there. No need to resist.

I'm not conceding nothing when it comes to Edey. He's a dinosaur.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,693

Post#876 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#877 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:41 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:

That is definitely bad sign about the potential of him spreading the floor. But I still have to wonder if any of that comes down to coaching. Everyone knows how Kentucky's coaching obscured the actual potential of prospects year after year. What if Painter restricts Edey the same way? Painter does seem to stick to his big man formula pretty strictly.

It'll come down to what he shows in workouts and how much he works on it behind the scenes. For example, Bam Adebayo's draft comparison out of college was Tristian Thompson. The heat saw in workouts that he had a lot more skill and touch than he showed at Kentucky, so they took him higher than most expected and he turned into a star. Bam has also said that he has always been able to shoot 3s, but Spo did not let him until recently. I lean on believing him there, after seeing how he beat Sabonis at the skills challenge back in 2020.

Like you said though, Edey is a 4 year senior, Bam was one and done. There's a lot more evidence to him not shooting 3s.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#878 » by FrodoBaggins » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:39 pm

There's a difference between being slow and playing slow. When you say someone is slow, you're implying they are athletically limited and not able to display a level or quality of movement. They simply don't have the physical capacity to move that way, regardless of effort or exercise and training. They just don't have the genetics.

Playing slow is different. It also includes processing speed, decision-making, and technique. In other words, basketball IQ and fundamentals.

Zach isn't slow. He plays slow at times. And how he plays must be analyzed with context. What competition is he playing in? What are its rules? What team is he playing for? What is its scheme? What does the personnel look like? What is his role on this team? All of these influence how Zach plays. He's not playing the way he does with Purdue to showcase his NBA potential. He plays to help his team win.

We know per the 2023 NBA Combine results Zach has comparable speed and agility to Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert, Brook Lopez, DeMarcus Cousins, and Hassan Whiteside to name a few. That's a fact. Unless you believe none of these guys tried and Zach did, which is ridiculous.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#879 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:30 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:There's a difference between being slow and playing slow. When you say someone is slow, you're implying they are athletically limited and not able to display a level or quality of movement. They simply don't have the physical capacity to move that way, regardless of effort or exercise and training. They just don't have the genetics.

Playing slow is different. It also includes processing speed, decision-making, and technique. In other words, basketball IQ and fundamentals.

Zach isn't slow. He plays slow at times. And how he plays must be analyzed with context. What competition is he playing in? What are its rules? What team is he playing for? What is its scheme? What does the personnel look like? What is his role on this team? All of these influence how Zach plays. He's not playing the way he does with Purdue to showcase his NBA potential. He plays to help his team win.

We know per the 2023 NBA Combine results Zach has comparable speed and agility to Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert, Brook Lopez, DeMarcus Cousins, and Hassan Whiteside to name a few. That's a fact. Unless you believe none of these guys tried and Zach did, which is ridiculous.

Zach Edey having comparable to speed and agility to good centers 4 to 5 inches shorter to him is really good news! If he has the mental ability and reaction time to adjust to nba speed and nba schemes, there's definitely a role for him as a drop big in the nba even if his offense doesn't develop a 3. Rim running rim protectors can be found all over the nba, especially paired with shooters and a good pg.
LessEyeTest
Junior
And1: 651

Post#880 » by LessEyeTest » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:24 am

Big J wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:
Big J wrote:

Those guys are offensive hubs who can pass and shoot. Edey is a back to the basket post up dinosaur big.

I’m too lazy to dig the posts up but I seem to remember you claiming, until Jokic won a title, you were adamant he couldn’t have playoff success because he’d be exploited from the perimeter. How’d that work out?

(If I recall you’re a Suns or KD/Booker fan and had a grotesquely obese woman as your avatar at one point)

Return to NBA Draft