Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

Post#81 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Fischella wrote:I still remain a skeptic, I valued Shai for what he was, a combination Guard with unique skills and had him top10, but I don't see how he takes over, his D is super overrated because he is long and tall for a PG, but he doesn't play physical and more often than not he isn't a factor, as for his offense, he is a special talent, but I don't see him as your typical ball-dominant stud PG, the shooting (even though it looks better) and the athleticism, aren't there to dominate that way, and his old style/herky-jerky game is fun and effective, but not sure how far it gets you

I see people comparing him to Manu, and I get the idea, but Manu was so much more explosive, he might be a washed up Ginobili, who is still a very good player and a top7 player in a contender, and that alone is awesome to have, but people have been claiming that he is going to be a star star, and I can't really see that tbh.

As someone who is usually fan of your analysis and someone who follows everything you write here, I don’t think this is your best year. And frankly, you’ve become more of a pessimist than objective. I think it’s the comparisons and I think comparisons make people over analyze players way too much. Instead of taking the player for what they are, we try to make them something they’re not. And when we can’t find a comparison, we tend to alienate the possibility of a player making it. Instead, we should look at the scape of the NBA and compare the little things that matter, like his length and ability to time and time again get to the rim. It seems like every year we get away from that and tend to drift more and more toward comparisons, but they never do any justice and often times complicates our ability to analyze.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#82 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:46 pm

sipclip wrote:All of these Kentucky kids are looking great and showing more than they were allowed to show at Kentucky. I might get roasted to the comparison but Shai reminds me a lot of Penny. He isn't as explosive but he has an incredible smoothness to his game that reminds me a lot of him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I do see some Penny in his game. If he could become anything like him... :o
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,932

Post#83 » by Capn'O » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:08 am

Fischella wrote:I still remain a skeptic, I valued Shai for what he was, a combination Guard with unique skills and had him top10, but I don't see how he takes over, his D is super overrated because he is long and tall for a PG, but he doesn't play physical and more often than not he isn't a factor, as for his offense, he is a special talent, but I don't see him as your typical ball-dominant stud PG, the shooting (even though it looks better) and the athleticism, aren't there to dominate that way, and his old style/herky-jerky game is fun and effective, but not sure how far it gets you

I see people comparing him to Manu, and I get the idea, but Manu was so much more explosive, he might be a washed up Ginobili, who is still a very good player and a top7 player in a contender, and that alone is awesome to have, but people have been claiming that he is going to be a star star, and I can't really see that tbh.

Oooooh no. I don't like the Manu comp at all. Manu could FLY.

My nickname for him is an homage to another Spur; The Little Fundamental. He plays a very different role, obviously, but shares Duncan's knack of accomplishing the most that his athleticism will allow with efficient movement, craft, footwork, deception, speed change, and top notch situational reads.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,800

Post#84 » by azcatz11 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 am

doordoor123 wrote:He plays like a 6’7 Chris Paul...which might be a future MVP

I believe this was the first post identifying hm as an MVP candidate.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#85 » by sisibilio » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 am

In hindsight, Ntikilina being "too generous" of a comparison is hilarious. :lol:
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates

Return to NBA Draft