Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,937

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

Post#61 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:29 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Yeah he’s a shooting guard, but he’s not a game changeing shooting guard defensively. He’s not going to add much defensively to say a team like the Nuggets (where he tends to be mocked). He’s a Roleplayer.

Once again, 12 months ago he was at prom. He is, no doubt, going to take some time to develop his shot and put some serious weight on his frame. Yes, the University of Kentucky Shai Gilgeous Alexander would struggle in the NBA. But part of job in scouting is projecting what he could be in 2-3 years down the road. Judging by his personality, I like his chances.

I’m not talking about putting on weight, I’m talking about footspeed.

That very obviously comes with NBA conditioning and strength. Parker wasn't nearly as explosive at Duke as he was prior to the injury. I think SGA's game will be more about strength than speed anyway since he frequently moved defenders out of the way at UK.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#62 » by CptCrunch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:35 pm

I think his body looks very underdeveloped. With NBA training, he will fill in his body and might get a bit faster. Believe or not, you can get faster especially if you currently look like a beanstalk.

Not many guards in the league can stay in front of speedy guards anyways. With his good tools, and good feels, and NBA style passing game, I think Shai can become serviceable on defense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#63 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:04 pm

I think last night was obviously a matter of him getting gassed in the second half. K State saw that he was shouldering the load for KY - as he did their previous 9 games - and applied the presure on him - and it wore him down. Kentucky/Calipari had no answer and got out-coached. The fact that KY had 1... assist as a team outside of SGA is telling as to how dependent they were on him and how unprepared Coach Cal was. And KY still would have won if PJ Washington did a decent job of making FT's.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#64 » by Justwar » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Had nothing to do with being prepared. They had a great stretch where they overacheived. K state had a wk to scout Shai, and exploited what I knew his weaknesses was. Ky was without the other big that at least played hard. Kentucky just was a flawed team, best shooter didnt play, richards was forced into playing then we decided to go small. Just not a elite team at all
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#65 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm

How would you compare Shai to Dejounte?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,214

Post#66 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Wasn't a big fan of his or Knox's. Both playing a lot better than I expected so far.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#67 » by jonjames » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:Wasn't a big fan of his or Knox's. Both playing a lot better than I expected so far.

Why were you low on knox?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#68 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm

jonjames wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Wasn't a big fan of his or Knox's. Both playing a lot better than I expected so far.

Thought there was some softness to his game, wasn't huge on his ability to put the ball on the floor, didn't see a good defensive presence on rotations or help on the weak side, playmaking not quite there.

Pleasantly surprised so far. The Knicks deserve a good player to pair with Porzingis.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#69 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:30 pm

I was semi low on Knox too and he's making me pay for that, but I always thought SGA would be a stud. CHA shouldn't have traded him because he's an ideal fit next to Kemba.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#70 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:05 pm

clyde21 wrote:
jonjames wrote:

Thought there was some softness to his game, wasn't huge on his ability to put the ball on the floor, didn't see a good defensive presence on rotations or help on the weak side, playmaking not quite there.

Pleasantly surprised so far. The Knicks deserve a good player to pair with Porzingis.

Thoughts on whether we just aren't getting full effort from these kids until there is money involved orrrrrrrr is the college game just that far behind the pro game in terms of how it's played?

We're seeing a lot of night and day cases with these kids where the pro game seems almost easier to some extent.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM

Post#71 » by clyde21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
jonjames wrote:

Thoughts on whether we just aren't getting full effort from these kids until there is money involved orrrrrrrr is the college game just that far behind the pro game in terms of how it's played?

We're seeing a lot of night and day cases with these kids where the pro game seems almost easier to some extent.

Good questions. Not sure to be honest...but the Knox I'm seeing in SL looks completely different than the one I saw in Kentucky.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#72 » by jonjames » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 am

Marcus wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
jonjames wrote:

That is interesting. Donovan Mitchell for one fits the bill. College ball does seem a lot more 'restricted and systematic' than pros so..
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#73 » by No-Man » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

I still remain a skeptic, I valued Shai for what he was, a combination Guard with unique skills and had him top10, but I don't see how he takes over, his D is super overrated because he is long and tall for a PG, but he doesn't play physical and more often than not he isn't a factor, as for his offense, he is a special talent, but I don't see him as your typical ball-dominant stud PG, the shooting (even though it looks better) and the athleticism, aren't there to dominate that way, and his old style/herky-jerky game is fun and effective, but not sure how far it gets you

I see people comparing him to Manu, and I get the idea, but Manu was so much more explosive, he might be a washed up Ginobili, who is still a very good player and a top7 player in a contender, and that alone is awesome to have, but people have been claiming that he is going to be a star star, and I can't really see that tbh.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,757

Post#74 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:How would you compare Shai to Dejounte?

They are nothing alike and I never understood the comparison. Right now what I'm seeing from SGA tells me Gary Payton (possibly a poor man's version). I can see him putting up 15/7/7/2.5 steals type numbers for years while being a shutdown defender who can guard 3 positions.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#75 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Fischella wrote:I still remain a skeptic, I valued Shai for what he was, a combination Guard with unique skills and had him top10, but I don't see how he takes over, his D is super overrated because he is long and tall for a PG, but he doesn't play physical and more often than not he isn't a factor, as for his offense, he is a special talent, but I don't see him as your typical ball-dominant stud PG, the shooting (even though it looks better) and the athleticism, aren't there to dominate that way, and his old style/herky-jerky game is fun and effective, but not sure how far it gets you

I see people comparing him to Manu, and I get the idea, but Manu was so much more explosive, he might be a washed up Ginobili, who is still a very good player and a top7 player in a contender, and that alone is awesome to have, but people have been claiming that he is going to be a star star, and I can't really see that tbh.

You can't expect a kid who turned 20 today to be complete. The floor for him and the foundation of tools he has, are among the best in a very deep draft. He gets to the rim+his spots at will. Nobody has been able to stop him from blowing by. His passing isn't used much, but when he makes them, they are very good. His shot many scouts are already saying looks a little quicker in summer league and will get much better by the start of the season. As for his defense, it has nothing to do with his length (although that surely doesn't hurt). His defensive instincts and IQ are awesome for his age. He does get pushed around at times defensively and needs to get stronger for sure. When he's locked on though, he's an awesome defender for his age.

He's averaging 19/5/4/2.5 steals in only 27 mintues on good efficiency. Nothing about him is overrated so far. His upside is way higher than I thought. He wasn't utilized particularly well at Kentucky from what I can tell.
Read on Twitter

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#76 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#77 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm

He plays like a 6’7 Chris Paul...which might be a future MVP
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#78 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:58 pm

glad cha did trade sga as lac is better fit for him but im gona predict sga will be a better pro n have a better career than Miles Bridges
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#79 » by Justwar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 pm

[quote="Marcus"][quote="clyde21"][quote="jonjames"]

Why were you low on knox?[/quote]

Pleasantly surprised so far. The Knicks deserve a good player to pair with Porzingis.[/quote]

We're seeing a lot of night and day cases with these kids where the pro game seems almost easier to some extent.[/quote]

True zones change a lot. You have to have at least one elite shooter to win and a couple solid ones.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#80 » by sipclip » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 pm

All of these Kentucky kids are looking great and showing more than they were allowed to show at Kentucky. I might get roasted to the comparison but Shai reminds me a lot of Penny. He isn't as explosive but he has an incredible smoothness to his game that reminds me a lot of him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to NBA Draft