Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Sekou Doumbouya ('19) 

Post#121 » by Illmatic12 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:people that watched Siakam last night are looking at Sekou and projecting that development onto to him IMO

Sekou doesn't quite have the length, but is a bit bigger and just as athletic and is scary in the open court/in transition...similar around the basket game and a developing outside shot.

Siakam made Sekou some money last night

it's definitely a goal for Sekou to shoot for, Siakim was a pretty similar level player when drafted
depends on the desire within, and yeah he isn't quite as long supposedly but those measurements of a 6'11ws look
to be outdated when you look at him he looks longer than that by a good margin now.

Unfortunately Doumbouya is a terrible finisher compared to Siakam which could limit his offensive ceiling.
Even in college Siakam averaged 17/10/2blks and had a tremendous motor.. I'm not sure Sekou quite gets to his level

I can see how people make the comparison but imo Doumbouya will be more of a finesse, perimeter-oriented guy than a high volume slasher/finisher. Granted I'm still high on Sekou , but I just see him as a different player from Pascal in terms of mental makeup and playstyle.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,528

Post#122 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri May 31, 2019 8:26 pm

Fischella wrote:Nah it is not, that's why I made the edit, the real per 36 it's the one in highlighted black just a line right below

Yes it is. But each of the rows above should also be Per 36 Minute stats . That’s why the heading reads “Per 36 Minutes.” The fields didn’t calc properly.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#123 » by Stillwater » Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
clyde21 wrote:people that watched Siakam last night are looking at Sekou and projecting that development onto to him IMO

Sekou doesn't quite have the length, but is a bit bigger and just as athletic and is scary in the open court/in transition...similar around the basket game and a developing outside shot.

Siakam made Sekou some money last night

it's definitely a goal for Sekou to shoot for, Siakim was a pretty similar level player when drafted
depends on the desire within, and yeah he isn't quite as long supposedly but those measurements of a 6'11ws look
to be outdated when you look at him he looks longer than that by a good margin now.

Unfortunately Doumbouya is a terrible finisher compared to Siakam which could limit his offensive ceiling.
Even in college Siakam averaged 17/10/2blks and had a tremendous motor.. I'm not sure Sekou quite gets to his level

I can see how people make the comparison but imo Doumbouya will be more of a finesse, perimeter-oriented guy than a high volume slasher/finisher. Granted I'm still high on Sekou , but I just see him as a different player from Pascal in terms of mental makeup and playstyle.

Yeah that's understandable, Sekou doesn't showcase his hops nearly enough and definitely like most euro prospects doesn't destroy the rim with no regard for human life etc. I think he will be more aggressive as he gets more confidence though and although he might be a bit behind where Siakim was around the rim when he entered the league Siakim was also 22. Sekou is 18 and is already a better 3 point shooter than Pascal was at 22 etc.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,263

Post#124 » by clyde21 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:33 pm

do people really think Siakam was finishing like this when he was 18? come on.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 649

Post#125 » by remi_222 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 pm

in the french league the spacing is different, sekou's role isnt that big (which will be the same next yr), so its hard to see already what he's able to do, but again, 18yrs old ...
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 271

Post#126 » by kobyz » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:44 pm

Sekou reminds me of Antoine Walker
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 649

Post#127 » by remi_222 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:30 am

Why dont we hear more about Sekou's workouts ??
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#128 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 6:32 am

remi_222 wrote:Why dont we hear more about Sekou's workouts ??

Like most international prospects, I would assume his camp is being very selective about his exposure.
If Sekou's agent is smart, he will just have him do one single workout, in a controlled setting . He can do 1v1 interviews with different teams but not individual workouts and definitely not competitive workouts against any other prospects.

Reportedly Doumbouya is meeting with Washington this weekend - not sure if that will be private or in front of multiple teams

France’s Sekou Doumbouya is expected to meet with the Wizards in the coming days and perhaps as soon as this weekend, according to a source. Doumbouya would make plenty of sense for Washington if the immediate plan is patience over playoffs. The raw 6-foot-9 forward is the youngest player in the 2019 class and needs more seasoning before turning into a primary contributor. Doumbouya’s length and defensive versatility mesh perfectly with the modern NBA. Since the other expected options at 9 are also risk-reward types, going for this kid isn’t as scary compared to other drafts.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,648

Post#129 » by peZt » Fri Jun 7, 2019 8:19 am

clyde21 wrote:do people really think Siakam was finishing like this when he was 18? come on.

It's so annoying in general. You compare a prospect to a player who was drafted in the late teens and the wannabe draft experts are like "You are an idiot, there's no way he's ever gonna become that good", forgetting that there's a reason they were drafted that low. Did anybody think Siakam, PG, Butler, Kawhi etc. would ever become as good they did? No.
Obviously they're an exception but to act like they were always destined to be so good and any comparison to them is blasphemous, is **** obnoxious.

NBA Draft Twitter is a cesspool in general but that's another Topic.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#130 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:05 am

peZt wrote:
clyde21 wrote:do people really think Siakam was finishing like this when he was 18? come on.

It's so annoying in general. You compare a prospect to a player who was drafted in the late teens and the wannabe draft experts are like "You are an idiot, there's no way he's ever gonna become that good", forgetting that there's a reason they were drafted that low. Did anybody think Siakam, PG, Butler, Kawhi etc. would ever become as good they did? No.
Obviously they're an exception but to act like they were always destined to be so good and any comparison to them is blasphemous, is **** obnoxious.

NBA Draft Twitter is a cesspool in general but that's another Topic.

Soo.. I never said Sekou couldn't be a good player, literally I stated I was high on his prospects. What I said is that he and Siakam are different types of players. Doumbouya is naturally a perimeter-oriented player who's slashing/finishing has a long way to go. Siakam is a natural downhill slasher who's shooting has a long way to go. It's a lazy comparison

Doumbouya is only 18, but please remember people, it's not like he's this completely raw ball of clay. Like, they didn't just find him in a remote village somewhere playing soccer in a dirt field. This is someone who has been receiving a salary to play pro ball and has had high-level professional training for many years now. He already has certain tendencies in his game that you can pick out.

One of the glaring negatives you observe on film is that Sekou's finishing ability is below average for an 18yo prospect. He has unusually poor touch and awkward body control around the basket, tbh some of his missed layup attempts are middle-school level and made me cringe bc I was NOT expecting that. Finishing in the paint is the primary feature of Pascal Siakam's game, that's why I said it's unlikely that he'll trend towards that. It's not common for a player to transform their #1 weakness into their main strength. It's like projecting Deandre Ayton to be a future DPOY. Will he improve on D over time, yes you expect gradual improvement but most likely never to that level.

If you're high on Sekou's offensive upside it's not because of his finishing. What you're banking on is the potential of his natural jumpshooting ability , and if he can leverage his ability to get his shot off as a diverse offensive weapon. A few years ago he could only consistently spot up, but as of late he's showing that he may be able to shoot off the move, shoot off the dribble, runs off screens, even shooting turnaround fadeaways from the midrange, he's flashing all kinds of stuff (albeit in miniscule volume) that you'd never see from say Deandre Hunter. How many 6'9 guys in this class can fluidly replicate this move.. Reddish , Cam Johnson maaaybe? This is where you see the glimmers of upside with Sekou:

Read on Twitter

The optimistic scenario for Sekou is that with reps and a slight adjustment to his mechanics his %s will start going up. And once defenses start worrying about his shooting, now he can start attacking closeouts n put the ball on the floor as a secondary playmaker, and you hope his handles and finishing tighten up.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,568

Post#131 » by Domejandro » Sat Jun 8, 2019 6:28 pm

I fully expect him to go fourth or fifth overall.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#132 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 8, 2019 6:36 pm

Domejandro wrote:I fully expect him to go fourth or fifth overall.

I don't but he could prove to be well worth it down the road if someone has the sack to pull the trigger.
I mean if Barrett and Culver are gone Sekou has to be an option at 5 for CLE.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,263

Post#133 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 6:37 pm

i have him going 8th to WAS or 11th to Minny
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#134 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:05 am

I think the big question to ask is what could Doumbouya be better at than Hunter is now. Is his upside notably higher? Or is he just a young, project type that will eventually turn in to what Hunter is now?

I think Sekou is probably a bit more fluid/comfortable with the ball/quicker release offensively, so I do think the upside is a bit higher, but I think a realistic outcome is to expect him to become a 3/D forward type, and even that is projecting a lot of defensive and shooting improvements. And of course there's always the off chance Hunter breaks what is considered to be his medium-ish ceiling as well, even if that's a slim possibility.

I want to buy in to a more unknown, exciting guy at 7 because the guys we're looking at are pretty boring, but I'm not sure, as high as 7, it's worth the additional risk.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Post#135 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:08 am

I secretly like Doumbouya better than Siakam. Better shooter, younger and a better feel for the game. Siakam probably has a better touch around the rim. Recently my PFs have become
Zion Williamson
Nicolas Claxton
Sekou Doumbouya
DeAndre Hunter
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#136 » by Coeur » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:46 am

Expect or Hope?

If it got to Minnesota pick and you have choice of Doumboya, Clarke, or Rui who do you take?

I think it’s goga that goes 4 or 5 though I would love to see the Cavs pick Doumboya. Or the hawks/wizards. I also still have hope the Knicks pick reddish or Doumboya
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Post#137 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:16 am

Coeur wrote:

Expect or Hope?

If it got to Minnesota pick and you have choice of Doumboya, Clarke, or Rui who do you take?

I think it’s goga that goes 4 or 5 though I would love to see the Cavs pick Doumboya. Or the hawks/wizards. I also still have hope the Knicks pick reddish or Doumboya

Doumbouya. Rui and Clarke are likely to fall IMO. I understand what they’re able to do, but Clarke can’t do what he did in college in the NBA. Elite athlete, great character and probably one of the best rounders at the college level. But he needs to get stronger for the NBA and those blocks just won’t be there in the NBA. He’s a helped a lot by the college space, less skilled players and players that aren’t as big or long. He’s going to be a long time roleplayer, but I personally cannot envision him as someone worthy of a lottery pick.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,152

Re: Sekou Douambouy ('19) 

Post#138 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:24 am

what makes Douambouy top 8 pick, while Adam Hanga was 50 something pick? I dont get it.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#139 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 9, 2019 10:30 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Coeur wrote:

Expect or Hope?

Doumbouya. Rui and Clarke are likely to fall IMO. I understand what they’re able to do, but Clarke can’t do what he did in college in the NBA. Elite athlete, great character and probably one of the best rounders at the college level. But he needs to get stronger for the NBA and those blocks just won’t be there in the NBA. He’s a helped a lot by the college space, less skilled players and players that aren’t as big or long. He’s going to be a long time roleplayer, but I personally cannot envision him as someone worthy of a lottery pick.

In a draft that's low on elite talent but heavy on role players, why wouldn't a high quality role player be considered a lottery pick?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,964

Re: Sekou Douambouy ('19) 

Post#140 » by Saberestar » Sun Jun 9, 2019 11:23 am

UcanUwill wrote:what makes Douambouy top 8 pick, while Adam Hanga was 50 something pick? I dont get it.

Sekou is 6'9 or 6'10 and moves himself with a lot of fluidity. He is somewhat skilled already and he is only 18.

On this year's draft that is enough to be considered a lottery pick for sure, probably Top 10.

Return to NBA Draft