Jarrett Culver

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,261

Re: Jarrett Culver 

Post#301 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:58 pm

also I do think the people that had Culver in their top 5 were overrating him so on that end we agree, but he's perfectly legitimate pick in the 8-12 range.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#302 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:03 pm

Clyde21, I personally like you as a poster even if you are dead ass wrong on this one. I just don't like the dishonesty on Turner. I see that a lot on here. They hate the Turner comparison because he hasn't played well in the NBA but to me, it's his best one. Now, I do think Culver can be better as a lead guard which boost his potential in my eyes but I am not seeing a stud.

I am seeing a Jalen Rose like player.

I don't see Hayward, Gordon was a slasher and had the needed quickness and agility at Butler to become a legit 20ppg at the next level.

I don't see Joe Johnson. Joe was a very good shooter in college and he really uses his bulk on both ends of the court. As someone who seen Joe at Arky and been to maybe 100+ games of Joe in Atlanta, I know Joe's game. He isn't close.

PP like Joe used his bulk well and his skill level even as a rookie was super high. Bulky strong players like Mitch Richmond, Iso Joe, Harden, The Truth, Luka has a lot of bulk which buys them so much space. It makes them really hard to guard in the NBA.

Caris LeVert was a much much better shooter in college. I always hated this comparison because LeVert was never a top 10 prospect. So you want to compare him to a player who was never a top 10 prospect who range is critical for his game who can shoot it much better than Culver.

I like the Evan Turner comparisons. I think Culver is better on defense and Turner on offense. I actually like Culver more as a lead guard just due to decision making skills even if he lacks the ball handling or passing of Turner.

I shot the idea of SGA around but I watched SGA again and read my notes and SGA was such a good passer and shooter for his size. SGA mid range is money and his deep range is sound. SGA is more like Sam Cassell but taller, longer, and just more talented without the strength and BBIQ at this stage which will come. He is so young.

Evan Turner is the comparison for Culver. Both were elite college players. Top 5 for Culver and the best for Turner. But they don't really translate to the NBA. Jalen Rose is the ideal for me.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#303 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Jalen Rose comp makes a lot more sense to me than Turner, and if that's the type of career he's gonna have that's a win for a 8-12 pick IMO.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#304 » by kobyz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:13 pm

King Ken wrote:Clyde21, I personally like you as a poster even if you are dead ass wrong on this one. I just don't like the dishonesty on Turner. I see that a lot on here. They hate the Turner comparison because he hasn't played well in the NBA but to me, it's his best one. Now, I do think Culver can be better as a lead guard which boost his potential in my eyes but I am not seeing a stud.

I am seeing a Jalen Rose like player.

I don't see Hayward, Gordon was a slasher and had the needed quickness and agility at Butler to become a legit 20ppg at the next level.

I don't see Joe Johnson. Joe was a very good shooter in college and he really uses his bulk on both ends of the court. As someone who seen Joe at Arky and been to maybe 100+ games of Joe in Atlanta, I know Joe's game. He isn't close.

PP like Joe used his bulk well and his skill level even as a rookie was super high. Bulky strong players like Mitch Richmond, Iso Joe, Harden, The Truth, Luka has a lot of bulk which buys them so much space. It makes them really hard to guard in the NBA.

Caris LeVert was a much much better shooter in college. I always hated this comparison because LeVert was never a top 10 prospect. So you want to compare him to a player who was never a top 10 prospect who range is critical for his game who can shoot it much better than Culver.

I like the Evan Turner comparisons. I think Culver is better on defense and Turner on offense. I actually like Culver more as a lead guard just due to decision making skills even if he lacks the ball handling or passing of Turner.

I shot the idea of SGA around but I watched SGA again and read my notes and SGA was such a good passer and shooter for his size. SGA mid range is money and his deep range is sound. SGA is more like Sam Cassell but taller, longer, and just more talented without the strength and BBIQ at this stage which will come. He is so young.

Evan Turner is the comparison for Culver. Both were elite college players. Top 5 for Culver and the best for Turner. But they don't really translate to the NBA. Jalen Rose is the ideal for me.

The problem with Turner is not his talent, the problem is how since he came to the league, something happened him mentally, it's like he has Asperger syndrome, he really not feeling the game well, very bad approach and confident level, talent wise he could have been a star...
King Ken
General Manager

Post#305 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:Jalen Rose comp makes a lot more sense to me than Turner, and if that's the type of career he's gonna have that's a win for a 8-12 pick IMO.

I agree. That type will work even in the modern NBA. Especially on defensive minded teams.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#306 » by King Ken » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:28 pm

kobyz wrote:
The problem with Turner is not his talent, the problem is how since he came to the league, something happened him mentally, it's like he has Asperger syndrome, he really not feeling the game well, very bad approach and confident level, talent wise he could have been a star...

That's what a lot of people think but I don't know if I agree with that. He was getting a better shooting Brandon Roy comparisons out of college. I just think he didn't translate to the NBA all that way. When I watched the tape. He used his size to bully people in college. You can't do that at 205 in the NBA unless you John Wall and he's like 6'3, 225. He tried to gain weight but couldn't gain weight where he needed it which is in the ass where Joe, Paul, Luka, Roy, Mitch, Harden, have their weight. You gotta have an ass at this level to play bully ball. It's like trying to be a power back at 190 pounds in the NFL. You might can do it in college but you just can't do it in the NBA. He didn't have the first step, Turner like Culver, loved the triple threat. They were lethal at it but it's really hard to do it in the NBA, especially the modern NBA. The triple threat seems to be a thing of the past. You see Melo and Kobe doing it on their last years but their efficiency was horrendous doing it.

Turner would have been fine in the 90's where the league was less deep and it valued mid range shooters who loved triple threats, long 8-10 second post-ups looking to pass the ball or score on the block and crafty moves Stockton and Steve Smith loved to use but in the modern NBA, the game has moved from that. If you want to be an elite mid range shooter, you better be someone like SGA, a 6'7 PG with a 7ft wingspan that can shoot over all PGs and can pass like a damn good one. The game is harder than ever due to the talent pool.

I think the reason why Turner and Culver are better college players than Paul Pierce and Brandon Roy is they are just more athletic than those guys and in college, athleticism matters a lot! If you lack it, you better have the shooting. At their size (Turner/Culver), they can play bully ball as well as Roy and Pierce did and be more effective but in the NBA, you gotta have that ass. That ass is critical. You gotta make guys bounce off of you. You gotta make guys off balance, otherwise, they will just force you off-balance.
kobyz
Rookie

Post#307 » by kobyz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 pm

King Ken wrote:
kobyz wrote:

That's what a lot of people think but I don't know if I agree with that. He was getting a better shooting Brandon Roy comparisons out of college. I just think he didn't translate to the NBA all that way. When I watched the tape. He used his size to bully people in college. You can't do that at 205 in the NBA. He tried to gain weight but couldn't gain weight where he needed it which is in the ass where Joe, Paul, Luka, Roy, Mitch, Harden, have their weight. You gotta have an ass at this level to play bully ball. It's like trying to be a power back at 190 pounds in the NFL. You might can do it in college but you just can't do it in the NBA. He didn't have the first step, Turner like Culver, loved the triple threat. They were lethal at it but it's really hard to do it in the NBA, especially the modern NBA. The triple threat seems to be a thing of the past. You see Melo and Kobe doing it on their last years but their efficiency was horrendous doing it.

Turner would have been fine in the 90's where the league was less deep and it valued mid range shooters who loved triple threats, long 8-10 second post-ups looking to pass the ball or score on the block and crafty moves Stockton and Steve Smith loved to use but in the modern NBA, the game has moved from that. If you want to be an elite mid range shooter, you better be someone like SGA, a 6'7 PG with a 7ft wingspan that can shoot over all PGs and can pass like a damn good one. The game is harder than ever due to the talent pool.

Watching him play more than enough I still think he had special talent, that the problem with him start with his mentality, playing not free enough, too discourage, reacting the game too late a lot of times, and just a low confident level, things that were far from him in college and not letting his talent and iq to flourish...
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#308 » by mattg » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 pm

I feel like the people talking Evan Turner in this thread didn't watch him closely in college, and that goes for the people who hate the comparison and those who are making it a positive. Some of the stuff just doesn't make sense to me. Turner was never a better athlete than Roy or Pierce, except perhaps for strength. He was never a strong shooter, he always had bad mechanics on it that made it questionable to translate. But he was a point forward who could be a primary handler and run an offense far better than someone like Culver could, he could really defend (and that extended to his early NBA career), he was a dominant rebounder for a wing, he could get to the rim and score using his strength and size.

IMO, if Culver turns out to be what Turner has in the NBA that will be a good outcome for him because he's not as good as Evan was in college and I don't see the skillset or tons of ability to develop beyond that. Hoping Culver is anything more IMO is a total pipe dream.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Post#309 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:Jalen Rose comp makes a lot more sense to me than Turner, and if that's the type of career he's gonna have that's a win for a 8-12 pick IMO.

Forget your advanced stats for a second, have you guys ever watched Jalen play? Or Turner. Two of the most athletic guards who were studs. Culver is way more athletic and quicker than both of those guys. If anything RJ is similar to Turner, not that I don't like him.....I liked Turner. More of a bully ball mentality in college.

Culvers definitely got alittle more spring in his step. My issue is more that he isnt elite at any one thing. More like just good at a bit of everything. He'll make a fine player. At some point you still have to draft BPA and I think this draft is weak so for me to see him in the top 7 isnt crazy. If all you get is a Harrison Barnes type at 6 I think you've done well. And sure, in every draft the are sleepers but people act like everyone knew who was gonna be the sleepers after the fact like Monday morning quarterbacks. If that were the case they would've been drafted accordingly. Culvers a good prospect
King Ken
General Manager

Post#310 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:56 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:

Forget your advanced stats for a second, have you guys ever watched Jalen play? Or Turner. Two of the most athletic guards who were studs. Culver is way more athletic and quicker than both of those guys. If anything RJ is similar to Turner, not that I don't like him.....I liked Turner. More of a bully ball mentality in college.

Culvers definitely got alittle more spring in his step. My issue is more that he isnt elite at any one thing. More like just good at a bit of everything. He'll make a fine player. At some point you still have to draft BPA and I think this draft is weak so for me to see him in the top 7 isnt crazy. If all you get is a Harrison Barnes type at 6 I think you've done well. And sure, in every draft the are sleepers but people act like everyone knew who was gonna be the sleepers after the fact like Monday morning quarterbacks. If that were the case they would've been drafted accordingly. Culvers a good prospect

Any proof of this way more athletic and quicker stuff? I am not going to bother to address the R.J. stuff. But this more spring in his step is amusing to me. Especially as someone who watched a lot of TTU games this year.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#311 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 am

people are acting like Turner wasn't a good prospect anyways. dude was the 2nd overall pick for a reason. clearly he has/had legitimate NBA level talent. so I'm not sure this comp really lands anyways.

again, Turner 'failed' in the NBA because he just didn't put in the work and wasn't really mentally prepared to really keep improving which is what every NBA player has to do.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#312 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:44 am

Saying Culver is quicker than Jalen Rose is wild. Culver plods around the court, quick is the last thing I’d call him.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
clyde21
RealGM

Post#313 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:00 am

this is what im talking about when I say quick feet in traffic...hes so good at this type of play and can finish with either hand.

King Ken
General Manager

Post#314 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 am

clyde21 wrote:this is what im talking about when I say quick feet in traffic...hes so good at this type of play and can finish with either hand.

Where is the quick in traffic and where is the legit traffic? The quickest thing he did was the hop and Northern KY lacked the size and athletes to even contend false screens. If you can't finish on a small, less athletic 6'3 kid who is trailing you, you shouldn't be talked about on this site. Technically, this is actually bad for Culver. If that was Hunter, that's getting blocked much less getting stuck coming around Tariq Owens. Forget just Hunter, any NBA defensive prospect is throwing this. Even your Malik Monk's of the world.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#315 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:57 am

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:this is what im talking about when I say quick feet in traffic...hes so good at this type of play and can finish with either hand.

Where is the quick in traffic and where is the legit traffic? The quickest thing he did was the hop and Northern KY lacked the size and athletes to even contend false screens. If you can't finish on a small, less athletic 6'3 kid who is trailing you, you shouldn't be talked about on this site. Technically, this is actually bad for Culver. If that was Hunter, that's getting blocked much less getting stuck coming around Tariq Owens. Forget just Hunter, any NBA defensive prospect is throwing this. Even your Malik Monk's of the world.

i mean, if you don't think that's quick footed for a guy his size I don't know what to tell you. that's uber efficient movement there in traffic and he does that on the regular, and is ambidextrous around the rim. that's gonna translate.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#316 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:01 am

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

i mean, if you don't think that's quick footed for a guy his size I don't know what to tell you. that's uber efficient movement there in traffic and he does that on the regular, and is ambidextrous around the rim. that's gonna translate.

I don't. I think you are getting agility mixed with quickness. His bend on the 2nd hop step is impressive for a 6'6-6'7 guy. His quickness wasn't really on display. If you want to say Culver has sound agility, you get no argument from me. I think he does. His quickness isn't sound for the next level. It was barely enough for this one. He isn't quick footed, there is a reason why he is running in a circle without to ball to get in a more favorable scoring position.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#317 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 am

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Where is the quick in traffic and where is the legit traffic? The quickest thing he did was the hop and Northern KY lacked the size and athletes to even contend false screens. If you can't finish on a small, less athletic 6'3 kid who is trailing you, you shouldn't be talked about on this site. Technically, this is actually bad for Culver. If that was Hunter, that's getting blocked much less getting stuck coming around Tariq Owens. Forget just Hunter, any NBA defensive prospect is throwing this. Even your Malik Monk's of the world.

I don't. I think you are getting agility mixed with quickness. His bend on the 2nd hop step is impressive for a 6'6-6'7 guy. His quickness wasn't really on display. If you want to say Culver has sound agility, you get no argument from me. I think he does. His quickness isn't sound for the next level. It was barely enough for this one.

i'm talking about the quickness of the feet. very deliberate and quick motions nothing wasted. he's so good at this. combine that with his frame, potential to get stronger, and ability to finish with both hands I can see him being one of the better finishing wings in the league.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Post#318 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm

King Ken wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

Any proof of this way more athletic and quicker stuff? I am not going to bother to address the R.J. stuff. But this more spring in his step is amusing to me. Especially as someone who watched a lot of TTU games this year.

No I do not have imperial data to prove it but I dont know that there was when Jalen played. Idk that Culver is more or less athletic than his peers but I watched Jalen Rose. The guy was about as athletic as Shaun Livingston post injury. Actually Livibgston is a perfect comparison. Skilled in the half court and can run an offense anywhere from the 1-3 but wasnt at all verticle.

I thought Culver was your boy. You gotta know hes more athletic than that.
kobyz
Rookie

Post#319 » by kobyz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:34 pm

another nice comparison for him could be Reggie Lewis
King Ken
General Manager

Post#320 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:33 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

No I do not have imperial data to prove it but I dont know that there was when Jalen played. Idk that Culver is more or less athletic than his peers but I watched Jalen Rose. The guy was about as athletic as Shaun Livingston post injury. Actually Livibgston is a perfect comparison. Skilled in the half court and can run an offense anywhere from the 1-3 but wasnt at all verticle.

I thought Culver was your boy. You gotta know hes more athletic than that.

You got the wrong person. I am on the anti Culver train but I still like him in some ways. I just don't see a top 10 pick

Return to NBA Draft