Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: Future Draft Classes (Prospects) II 

Post#381 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:He is also a late late 2006 birthday as well (late December). So the dude can (should) reclassify into a very weak class and he will also have being the youngest in the class (most likely) going for him as well.

Do tell which of these future classes you consider weak already. I want to keep up
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#382 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:32 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:He is also a late late 2006 birthday as well (late December). So the dude can (should) reclassify into a very weak class and he will also have being the youngest in the class (most likely) going for him as well.

Do tell which of these future classes you consider weak already. I want to keep up

2023 and 2024 high school classes are weak.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,277

Post#383 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:09 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:

already outlined to you - 2023 only has 14 5 stars (which is historically weak) and 2024 only has 20 5 stars, not as bad as the 23 class but still bad.

there is a reason everyone (including NBA GMs i'd bet) are all looking forward to the 25 HS class with Flagg, Booz, Peat and Tiller instead, all 4 would be selected over anyone in the 23/24 HS classes right now.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#384 » by The Moose » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:57 am

Read on Twitter
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#385 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:47 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

oh I see, I'm talking about draft classes because this is a draft class thread and you're talking high school classes, which are a year ahead of the draft class i.e. the 2023 high school class is weak in your opinion so the 2024 draft class will be weak. So now you're saying the 2024 high school class is weak therefore the 2025 draft class will be weak and Flagg should reclassify. That's pretty far in advance to have such strong opinions about a draft class. So much changes in a year let alone two. But I do agree, Flagg would go #1 in either.

so in summation. You believe:

2023 draft class is good
2024 draft class is extremely weak
2025 draft class is very weak
clyde21
RealGM

Post#386 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:55 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

oh I see, I'm talking about draft classes because this is a draft class thread and you're talking high school classes, which are a year ahead of the draft class i.e. the 2023 high school class is weak in your opinion so the 2024 draft class will be weak. So now you're saying the 2024 high school class is weak therefore the 2025 draft class will be weak and Flagg should reclassify. That's pretty far in advance to have such strong opinions about a draft class. So much changes in a year let alone two. But I do agree, Flagg would go #1 in either.

2023 draft class is good

you can tell whether a HS class is strong or weak usually its junior year, the 23 class (this one coming into college) is one of the weakest in recent memory and the one following (24 HS class) isn't much better.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#387 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:41 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

2023 draft class is good

Well usually in today's age, a draft class is heavily dependent on the incoming high school class.

Yes many things can change, many guys can choose to return to college an extra year which could help boost the next class. Guys who werent viewed as elite can make a jump up during their year in college or wherever. You can see guys reclassify (like I think Flagg will and that will be a big boost to the 2025 draft class). All possible. And ya guys like Boozer or Flagg can stagnate and begin to flame out.

But when it comes to the 2023 high school class. Theyre essentially done playing high school ball, so its pretty easy to compare them to past high school classes. Its a very weak class.

The 2024 class is very similar. Do guys still have time to improve? Hell ya. But again its very telling when essentially every big weekend tournament throughout the year, at the end of it people werent talking about the Seniors or the Juniors, they were talking about how it were the sophomores playing the best ball. A Sophomore won the player of the year award, while another Sophomore was a finalist and was the star player at the premiere high school basketball team in the country.

And its not just the fact that 2024 has multiple guys who are viewed as elite prospects that teams should look forward to tanking for, while the 2023 and 2024 class dont. The depth at the top right now looks better as well. Again can things change? Yup. But as it stands right now, there is a reason why the vast majority of people that follow this stuff talk about the 2025 high school class more than any other. Its because that class regardless of class is outperforming the two classes above them.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#388 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:18 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

2023 draft class is good

Well usually in today's age, a draft class is heavily dependent on the incoming high school class.

Yes many things can change, many guys can choose to return to college an extra year which could help boost the next class. Guys who werent viewed as elite can make a jump up during their year in college or wherever. You can see guys reclassify (like I think Flagg will and that will be a big boost to the 2025 draft class). All possible. And ya guys like Boozer or Flagg can stagnate and begin to flame out.

But when it comes to the 2023 high school class. Theyre essentially done playing high school ball, so its pretty easy to compare them to past high school classes. Its a very weak class.

The 2024 class is very similar. Do guys still have time to improve? Hell ya. But again its very telling when essentially every big weekend tournament throughout the year, at the end of it people werent talking about the Seniors or the Juniors, they were talking about how it were the sophomores playing the best ball. A Sophomore won the player of the year award, while another Sophomore was a finalist and was the star player at the premiere high school basketball team in the country.

And its not just the fact that 2024 has multiple guys who are viewed as elite prospects that teams should look forward to tanking for, while the 2023 and 2024 class dont. The depth at the top right now looks better as well. Again can things change? Yup. But as it stands right now, there is a reason why the vast majority of people that follow this stuff talk about the 2025 high school class more than any other. Its because that class regardless of class is outperforming the two classes above them.

It’s just weird since I disagree and think 2023 HS class is actually good, so since you’re so wrong about that, it makes me question how certain you are about the 2024 HS class. I say this with no offense meant, what you, Clyde and “experts” say is usually the exact opposite especially if you all agree. Like, when I see you put out your opinions on draft classes, they always seem to align with each other and are almost always wrong.

Getting old so maybe I’ve got my facts off and you haven’t been wrong like I think. It’s just a memory I have for some reason. I think it started when all of you (I believe…not certain) said the 2016 draft class was awful. It clearly wasn’t. And from that point on it seems like my takes were opposite of the consensus (except 2017 which we all agreed on if memory serves me correctly) and right. So when people were throwing out “strong” or “weak” about future classes the consensus has been pretty wrong except for an outlier no-brained year here and there.

I don’t have a strong opinion on the 2025 draft class yet. WAY too early for that. But now I know it’s most likely better than average because all of you are saying it’s weak. But maybe this will be the first time you’re right. I’ll do some objective deep digging and see if I finally agree :) As for 2026 draft class I agree that there already seems to be a few no-brainer elites but that doesn’t necessarily mean the class is good. Just look at 2023. Pretty strong at the top and average for the rest. As to why the 2026 draft class is talked about it’s almost entirely because of Boozer and Flagg and most of it is because Boozer is Carlos’ son so it’s familiar and makes people interested like they were with Bronny.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#389 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:31 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

2023 draft class is good

It’s just weird since I disagree and think 2023 HS class is actually good, so since you’re so wrong about that, it makes me question how certain you are about the 2024 HS class. I say this with no offense meant, what you, Clyde and “experts” say is usually the exact opposite especially if you all agree. Like, when I see you put out your opinions on draft classes, they always seem to align with each other and are almost always wrong.

I don’t have a strong opinion on the 2025 draft class yet. WAY too early for that. But now I know it’s most likely better than average because all of you are saying it’s weak. But maybe this will be the first time you’re right. I’ll do some objective deep digging and see if I finally agree :) As for 2026 draft class I agree that there already seems to be a few no-brainer elites but that doesn’t necessarily mean the class is good. Just look at 2023. Pretty strong at the top and average for the rest. As to why the 2026 draft class is talked about it’s almost entirely because of Boozer and Flagg and most of it is because Boozer is Carlos’ son so it’s familiar and makes people interested like they were with Bronny.

Haha I love the high level discourse. Awesome for you then, just go with the complete opposite on all the prospects I talk about and youre golden.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#390 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Haha I love the high level discourse. Awesome for you then, just go with the complete opposite on all the prospects I talk about and youre golden.

When it comes to classes, absolutely.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#391 » by clyde21 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 pm

this dude defending the 23 high school class like his father birthed it

yes, everyone is completely wrong about this class and you're the only one the can see thru the facade. we really all got together in a dark room and agreed it's a bad class just as a gaslight really.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#392 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:12 pm

Ill say it again, I hope Im wrong and this class is great, Im actually rooting for that. I care far more about Duke being good than how accurate my predictions are for how good a class is going to be. If this class ends up being damn good, good chance Duke is going to look elite since they have 4 guys in the top 22 (according to 247 composite) to go with all the guys they're returning.

From what I have watched of this class, I see no elite talent. From what Ive read about this class, the guys who get paid to judge these things are not fans of this class either. Those two things combined have led me to not liking this class when it comes to high level NBA talent.

For example, right now I think its between Collier and Matas for the best guys and most likely #1 picks from this class. From what Ive seen from both so far, I wouldnt have these guys in the top 3 in the previous 2 drafts.

2021 honestly wouldnt look at them in the top 5 in this class.

2022 not seeing these guys cracking the top 3.

Again can someone bump up and really impress? Hell ya. How these guys performed compared to other guys coming out of high school, theyre behind (IMO). And if you got a class that doesnt have talent that would go top 3 in the previous 2 drafts, I wouldnt call it a strong draft, at least when it comes to high level talent at the top.

There you go, that is my thought process on why I view the 2023 high school class as not a strong class.

Edit: Completely forgot about the upcoming draft haha. I also wouldnt have them top 3 in this draft coming up. So not top 3 in the previous 3 drafts before theirs.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,183
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#393 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00 am

Usually if people are championing similar things every draft, it's not for some nefarious reason, it's because they probably have similar tastes in archetypes and specific things they look for in a prospect lol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#394 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:06 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Usually if people are championing similar things every draft, it's not for some nefarious reason, it's because they probably have similar tastes in archetypes and specific things they look for in a prospect lol.

nah, it's just groupthink. Most people get their opinions from others. Since none of these draft gurus or experts really deviates from one another it's safe to assume they all agree. And since they're wrong, more often than not, it means they shouldn't be taken seriously. And they HAVE been wrong about the strengths of these draft classes quite a bit over the past 7-8 years. So when I hear people parrot these narratives it makes me laugh especially since I've disagreed and been right over the years. But I can't fault them. It's hard eating crow. I'm still trying to choke down my Sekou Doumbouya takes
clyde21
RealGM

Post#395 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:57 am

Dink Pate reclassed into the 23 class but signed a two year deal w GLI, probably will be in the 25 class not 24 even tho he reclassed

Read on Twitter
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,648

Post#396 » by peZt » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:29 am

clyde21 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

2023 draft class is good

you can tell whether a HS class is strong or weak usually its junior year, the 23 class (this one coming into college) is one of the weakest in recent memory and the one following (24 HS class) isn't much better.

So the drought of american superstar talent continues until at least the 2026 draft. What's up with the US that they can't produce top tier talent anymore
clyde21
RealGM

Post#397 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:01 am

peZt wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

2023 draft class is good

So the drought of american superstar talent continues until at least the 2026 draft. What's up with the US that they can't produce top tier talent anymore

Zion was/is a superstar talent but just can't stay healthy, I also think Mobley is a superstar talent in the Duncan mold...but yea they next big dog will most likely be Flagg but that's still a couple of years away
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#398 » by sisibilio » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:29 pm

In another chapter of my way, way, waaaaay too premature predictions that nobody cares about or asked for, here comes Sergi Kemu (2007)
He hasn't been playing with the spanish NT and even in his team used to play mostly off the ball apparently, so he didn't have much time to shine. I actually wasn't consciously aware of his existence till i saw him in a recent tournament with Valencia where he was given the keys of the team (Didac Cebolla, their usual starting PG was with the u16 NT) and i was quite intrigued to say the least.

Read on Twitter

Doesn't he look like a young Exum with some Sergio Rodriguez flare?
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#399 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46

kid is real impressive. Like a refined Jimmy Butler. Not too shabby for a “weak class”
clyde21
RealGM

Post#400 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 am

1) just because it's projected as a weak class doesn't mean you can't find good players in it lol

2) Jackson is nothing like Butler, Jackson's a 6-4 combo guard type

Return to NBA Draft