Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,449

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#1021 » by Big J » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Because Kanter is 6'10, a finished product, at the age centers start to fall off, historically a terrible defensive big even regarding awareness on D, and has pretty controversial political views.

You can’t use the age excuse. Lopez is 36 and still starting in the playoffs.

I mean, Lopez has always been better than Kanter, he was an allstar. He's gonna get more rope in the league by that alone. Plus he's adjusted his game to compensate over the years. And he straight up has better tools than Kanter. It's not a stretch for flawed role player to fall out of the league by 30, and a former allstar to adjust to a vet role in his later years. Especially when they find a team schemed to use them.

True, but rookie Kanter wasn't any better or worse than the guy who wasn't picked up. The league just changed before his eyes.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,515

Post#1022 » by GoBobs » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 am

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Big J wrote:
You can’t use the age excuse. Lopez is 36 and still starting in the playoffs.

I mean, Lopez has always been better than Kanter, he was an allstar. He's gonna get more rope in the league by that alone. Plus he's adjusted his game to compensate over the years. And he straight up has better tools than Kanter. It's not a stretch for flawed role player to fall out of the league by 30, and a former allstar to adjust to a vet role in his later years. Especially when they find a team schemed to use them.

True, but rookie Kanter wasn't any better or worse than the guy who wasn't picked up. The league just changed before his eyes.

If Lopez was a suprehero his nickname would be slow motion man. Lopez makes Edey look like Allen Iverson Speedy Gonzales!
Big J
General Manager

Post#1023 » by Big J » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am

GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

If Lopez was a suprehero his nickname would be slow motion man. Lopez makes Edey look like Allen Iverson Speedy Gonzales!

True, but Lopez's mind moves fast though. Edey's mind moves slow.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1024 » by GoBobs » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:25 am

Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:

True, but Lopez's mind moves fast though. Edey's mind moves slow.

How much do you charge to read somebody's palm?
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#1025 » by sisibilio » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:25 am

Defensive awareness is definitely a thing, Marc Gasol was DPOY despite being slow footed thanks to his ability to read the game.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Big J
General Manager

Post#1026 » by Big J » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:34 pm

sisibilio wrote:Defensive awareness is definitely a thing, Marc Gasol was DPOY despite being slow footed thanks to his ability to read the game.

Gasol was more mobile than Edey, and also played in a different era.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1027 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 1, 2024 2:49 pm

I dont even think Gasol was THAT much more mobile than Edey but his defensive awareness and instincts were on another plane of existence compared to Zach. Much like Lopez (But better) when it comes to defense, Gasol was just always making the right moves.

If your drafting Zach its for easy offensive buckets, for double teams leading to open 3's and lower on the list for a bit of big boy post defense against the other few giants. The goal should be that he doesnt get run off the court in the PNR, I wouldnt have any hope that he really is a plus defender (He might be in the post but defense is much more than that).
Big J
General Manager

Post#1028 » by Big J » Wed May 1, 2024 2:54 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont even think Gasol was THAT much more mobile than Edey but his defensive awareness and instincts were on another plane of existence compared to Zach. Much like Lopez (But better) when it comes to defense, Gasol was just always making the right moves.

If your drafting Zach its for easy offensive buckets, for double teams leading to open 3's and lower on the list for a bit of big boy post defense against the other few giants. The goal should be that he doesnt get run off the court in the PNR, I wouldnt have any hope that he really is a plus defender (He might be in the post but defense is much more than that).

Yea, but when you are put on an island on the perimeter by a guard it doesn’t matter how smart you are defensively. All that matters is staying in front of the guy and not getting cooked. Edey is going to be conceding a layup or a wide open 3 every time that he gets put in that position.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#1029 » by sisibilio » Wed May 1, 2024 2:55 pm

Big J wrote:
sisibilio wrote:Defensive awareness is definitely a thing, Marc Gasol was DPOY despite being slow footed thanks to his ability to read the game.

I was thinking about Lopez, i don't think Edey will ever have a positive defensive impact.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Big J
General Manager

Post#1030 » by Big J » Wed May 1, 2024 4:54 pm

sisibilio wrote:
Big J wrote:

I was thinking about Lopez, i don't think Edey will ever have a positive defensive impact.

Definitely won’t. He’s probably going to be the worst defender in the league given what is asked of the center position.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1031 » by GoBobs » Fri May 3, 2024 5:53 pm

Big J wrote:
sisibilio wrote:
Big J wrote:

Definitely won’t. He’s probably going to be the worst defender in the league given what is asked of the center position.

Not in a league with guys like Trae Young who don't offer anything on defense.

His floor as a defender is probably current Boban, who isn't the worst defender in the league.

If he turns out to be so limited he just can't fit into any man schemes then there is also the option to only play zone with him in the game.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1032 » by Big J » Fri May 3, 2024 6:06 pm

GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:
sisibilio wrote:I was thinking about Lopez, i don't think Edey will ever have a positive defensive impact.

His floor as a defender is probably current Boban, who isn't the worst defender in the league.

If he turns out to be so limited he just can't fit into any man schemes then there is also the option to only play zone with him in the game.

Yea, but in todays game Centers are expected to anchor a defense. Teams can get away with sticking a Trae Young on the perimeter when they have a defensive big manning the paint. When you have a big man who sucks on defense it kills your entire scheme.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1033 » by GoBobs » Yesterday 1:17 pm

Big J wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
Big J wrote:

Yea, but in todays game Centers are expected to anchor a defense. Teams can get away with sticking a Trae Young on the perimeter when they have a defensive big manning the paint. When you have a big man who sucks on defense it kills your entire scheme.

The league is full of successful centers who are not impact players on defense. Edey will be a better defender than Jokic, Sengun, and Sabonis on day 1.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 387

Post#1034 » by pad300 » Yesterday 1:45 pm

GoBobs wrote:The league is full of successful centers who are not impact players on defense. Edey will be a better defender than Jokic, Sengun, and Sabonis on day 1.

Really???

Jokic is 2nd in the league in DWS, Sabonis 11th and Sengun 32nd. DBPM has Jokic 1st overall, Sabonis 5th and Sengun 17th.

Those 3 do not dominate the game on physical tools, they do it with their BBIQ.

Return to NBA Draft