Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,293

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:12 pm

sisibilio wrote:Yep, taller Pekovic is arguably the most accurate.

Pekovic would've dominated even more if he was 5 inches taller.

A lot of people probably won't understand the comparison, and I do think it has a different meaning today as opposed to the NBA landscape before Pek's body broke down (league-leading Warriors 3-point volume in 2015-16 would currently be 23rd this season), but in terms of him and his playing style, I'm not sure there's a better comparison.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#42 » by The-Power » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 am

TheSuzerain wrote:His defense is definitely scheme dependent as he has obvious limitations.

But offensively he has a big time ceiling it seems to me. And on the strength of that alone he's a lotto guy for sure.

Curious to hear from you: what sets him apart from Boban, who has elite output but could never find consistent NBA minutes? What makes you so confident that Edey would be called on to play 25-30 MPG?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#43 » by Chi town » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:53 am

I’m a believer. Think he gets drafted end of 1st.

Big advantage for 20mpg.

Will be fun to see how teams play him. Small ball him off the court or he makes them pay
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,272

Post#44 » by azcatz11 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:33 am

There is 0 chance he ends up better than Boban. Boban has way better hands for starters and more post moves. Not saying Edey actually needs any but he can’t play defense in the nba
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,299

Post#45 » by ItsDanger » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:20 pm

azcatz11 wrote:There is 0 chance he ends up better than Boban. Boban has way better hands for starters and more post moves. Not saying Edey actually needs any but he can’t play defense in the nba

Boban is slower, bad feet and most of all plays like he's 6'5, way too soft.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,921

Post#46 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 pm

The-Power wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:His defense is definitely scheme dependent as he has obvious limitations.

But offensively he has a big time ceiling it seems to me. And on the strength of that alone he's a lotto guy for sure.

Curious to hear from you: what sets him apart from Boban, who has elite output but could never find consistent NBA minutes? What makes you so confident that Edey would be called on to play 25-30 MPG?

I think Boban is interesting for two reasons:

1. We arguably missed his athletic prime. He didn't arrive in NBA until his late 20's.
2. How good is a 32 minute per game Boban (i.e. how much did conditioning/stamina limit Boban rather than his on-court abilities?)

I think stamina/conditioning is a reasonable concern with Edey, but with his past season playing 32 minutes per game that's an encouraging sign that he can potentially handle more minutes than Boban could.

And then in terms of a direct comparison, I do think Edey is more coordinated than Boban (mainly in terms of footwork). Higher potential in terms of processing/decision-making as well. And in both cases, I think that improves Edey's case to be a full-fledged offensive hub.

So in summary, I think Edey has the edge, but I also think Boban (as an on-court talent) is under-rated. I think he's viewed as a gimmick, but he was a very effective one. Even from a +/- perspective aside from the raw output, Boban was solid.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,921

Post#47 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:51 pm

I find it bizarre when people say Edey doesn't have post moves.

His right hand hook shot is the best NCAA post move in at least a decade. It is boring, simple, and metronomic. But that's why it's the best.

At a basic level, the guy knows how to use his hips. And you combine that with the raw height/release point, and it's just extremely hard to defend him.

He knows how to use his hips, has a few counters to his bread-and-butter. I also think he's flashed some provocative footwork where he covers a lot of ground with 0-1 dribble.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#48 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:42 am

A poorman's Yao in today's league. He just has to fall to the right team.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#49 » by mattao313 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:59 am

He's pretty mobile for a 7'4 guy but even then he's still a stiff. He'll get roasted in the pnr.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,272

Post#50 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:16 am

ItsDanger wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:There is 0 chance he ends up better than Boban. Boban has way better hands for starters and more post moves. Not saying Edey actually needs any but he can’t play defense in the nba

Boban is slower, bad feet and most of all plays like he's 6'5, way too soft.

Okay he’s slower (agreed) but not that much slower imo. Edey has an edge, I’ll give you that. I still don’t see a path for legitimate minutes. Maybe on a non playoff team
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,261

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:49 am

i think 15 mins for a team, even a PO one, isn't outta the question, he's pretty much an insta-bucket within 3 ft, only question is pacing+spacing issues on offense and if he'd give up more points on the other end.

i wish he had better rim protection instincts tho, he gets blocks just by virtue of his size but I don't think he's a great rim protector despite his size...b/c of that anything higher than like a 31-45 pick is a tough pill to swallow.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#52 » by Big J » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:17 pm

He’s not getting minutes on any playoff team. As soon as he checks in he will be a waking target for the other team.
Big J
General Manager

Post#53 » by Big J » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:08 am

Lost to a 16 seed, yikes. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,293

Post#54 » by Klomp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:53 am

Big J wrote:Lost to a 16 seed, yikes. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

He had 21/15/3 in 36 minutes with only one foul committed.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Big J
General Manager

Post#55 » by Big J » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 am

Klomp wrote:
Big J wrote:Lost to a 16 seed, yikes. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

He had 21/15/3 in 36 minutes with only one foul committed.

And he gave up twice as many points on defense.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,375

Post#56 » by The Box Office » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:25 am

Edey is NOT Yao Ming in any shape or form. He's absolutely NOT a poor man's Yao either. Edey plays nothing like Yao Ming.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#57 » by EvanZ » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:15 pm

The Box Office wrote:Edey is NOT Yao Ming in any shape or form. He's absolutely NOT a poor man's Yao either. Edey plays nothing like Yao Ming.

Yeah people are dumb. You could run your offense through Yao in the high post similar to someone like Marc Gasol later on or Sabonis even earlier or a Bill Walton. Edey is a low post banger like a Ewing or Kareem archetype but a much less skilled version of either. Totally different archetypes. Edey is a dinosaur.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,299

Post#58 » by ItsDanger » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:39 pm

Purdue defense wasn't the problem, it's their lack of shooting, athleticism, shot creation at guard/wings. Poor ball handling vs press was issue last season also and wasnt addressed. Their inability to adjust style during games is consistent.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,420

Post#59 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:02 am

EvanZ wrote:
The Box Office wrote:Edey is NOT Yao Ming in any shape or form. He's absolutely NOT a poor man's Yao either. Edey plays nothing like Yao Ming.

Yeah people are dumb. You could run your offense through Yao in the high post similar to someone like Marc Gasol later on or Sabonis even earlier or a Bill Walton. Edey is a low post banger like a Ewing or Kareem archetype but a much less skilled version of either. Totally different archetypes. Edey is a dinosaur.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He has pretty good touch on that hook shot and is quite physical with his body. I saw some documentary on him on youtube, they emphasize how he can really bend his knees compared to some stiffs. I think they said something like him averaging 3ppg his last high school year. When he was 11 he could throw 80 mph and was really into baseball, he didn't want to play bball because he was a contrarian and thus has developed his skills in a short timeframe. On a per 40 basis his stats are pretty much like last year, he's really learned not to foul though, his fouls have come down by half on a per minute basis, so that helps a lot. His blocks to foul ratio if such a thing exists has been a big statistical improvement year to year.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,532

Post#60 » by Saints14 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:24 pm

Edey's defense is his offense. Remember when the Clippers played super smallball in the playoffs because Gobert couldn't make them pay? Edey is getting buckets at an insanely efficient rate if that's tried against him. Probably wouldn't use a first on him but he could be a really valuable mismatch tool to have if used intelligently

Return to NBA Draft