Zach Edey, 7-4

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,272

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#61 » by azcatz11 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:38 pm

Saints14 wrote:Edey's defense is his offense. Remember when the Clippers played super smallball in the playoffs because Gobert couldn't make them pay? Edey is getting buckets at an insanely efficient rate if that's tried against him. Probably wouldn't use a first on him but he could be a really valuable mismatch tool to have if used intelligently

You’re giving up all of those points defensively. He can’t play defense in the nba. There’s no shot in hell
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#62 » by Big J » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 pm

Saints14 wrote:Edey's defense is his offense. Remember when the Clippers played super smallball in the playoffs because Gobert couldn't make them pay? Edey is getting buckets at an insanely efficient rate if that's tried against him. Probably wouldn't use a first on him but he could be a really valuable mismatch tool to have if used intelligently

I remember when the Clippers had to bench Zubak in the playoffs because Luka kept targeting him. Multiply Zubaks defensive terribleness by 10 and you have Edey.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,294

Post#63 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:03 pm

Big J wrote:

I remember when the Clippers had to bench Zubak in the playoffs because Luka kept targeting him. Multiply Zubaks defensive terribleness by 10 and you have Edey.

It's impossible to "multiply defensive terribleness" in basketball. There is no 30-point shot. Whether it's on Zach Edey, Joel Embiid or Giannis, the most points an offensive player can make on a field goal is 3 points.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,921

Post#64 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:19 pm

azcatz11 wrote:

You’re giving up all of those points defensively. He can’t play defense in the nba. There’s no shot in hell

Everybody is giving up all those points defensively. Nobody is playing very effective defense these days.

Edey won't/can't defend the perimeter, but there is a definite ceiling on how efficient offense can be on the perimeter.

If Edey can be a useful deterrant around the restricted area (which I think is attainable if he improves his positioning a bit), I think he'll be "good enough" defensively. He already projects as an elite D-Rebounder and he doesn't send players to the line.
Big J
General Manager

Post#65 » by Big J » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:16 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Everybody is giving up all those points defensively. Nobody is playing very effective defense these days.

Edey won't/can't defend the perimeter, but there is a definite ceiling on how efficient offense can be on the perimeter.

If Edey can be a useful deterrant around the restricted area (which I think is attainable if he improves his positioning a bit), I think he'll be "good enough" defensively. He already projects as an elite D-Rebounder and he doesn't send players to the line.

There is a difference between wide open 3's and ones that are minimally challenged. It will be wide open 3 after wide open 3 any time he's on the court.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#66 » by The-Power » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:44 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Everybody is giving up all those points defensively. Nobody is playing very effective defense these days.

Huh? There absolutely still is effective and ineffective defense, just as there has always been. The difference is just that the threshold for what we consider effective defense in terms of DRTG has shifted. That's because offenses have become much more sophisticated and talented, and defending effectively has become tougher as a result. Which, in turn, actually makes it more important than ever to not have your defenses compromised by playing highly exploitable players. In other words, the offensive evolution of the game makes players like Edey more – not less – problematic to play.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,299

Post#67 » by ItsDanger » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:39 am

It's clear people don't comprehend scarcity. What if he does well and you're
wrong? Are you going to draft another 7'4, 300lb guy with a PER of 40 next year? There isn't one. But go ahead and draft another wing or guard project with 80%+ fail rate.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#68 » by ItsDanger » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:49 am

Read on Twitter

These charts showcase an outlier. Which means no one really knows what will happen when surrounded by actual NBA talent.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,090

Post#69 » by sisibilio » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:43 am

Klomp wrote:
Big J wrote:

It's impossible to "multiply defensive terribleness" in basketball. There is no 30-point shot. Whether it's on Zach Edey, Joel Embiid or Giannis, the most points an offensive player can make on a field goal is 3 points.

Boban is one of the most effective scorers in NBA history and he's still unplayable.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#70 » by 8305 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:43 am

I think Edey could be an interesting rotation piece. The player you look to when Embiid is killing you.
If he can evolve his game (a possibility given his newness to the game) step out further on the floor, set picks, hit the mid range shot, be a killer roll to the basket player. On a team that figures out how use a zone defense an evolved Edey could be more than a rotational player.
Big J
General Manager

Post#71 » by Big J » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:48 pm

Putting him in the middle of a 2-3 zone is probably the only way he's playable, but then again how many teams are going to be devising entire defensive schemes just to hide him when he can't even shoot 3s?
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#72 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:43 pm

Read on Twitter

No brainer in the 2nd round.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,617

Post#73 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:17 pm

Zach Edey, old school big but is probably the best in the draft at setting screens, i have a feeling of all the bigs, he would work well with a dominate pick n roll ball handler. Would be a great back up center and guy on the bench, and maybe one day could be a 25mpg starter.

Even though he is huge, Z has some touch and has a decent jumpshot, is a much better free throw shooter than Gobert and Kessler.

Z is not a gimmick player, he is an actual legit basketball player and yes he is 100 times better than Tacko Fall.

Edey is great at setting the pick and roll but the biggest concern is his ability to defend the pick and roll at the NBA level.

Z's Floor would be Boban, his ceiling could be a slightly better or better rebounding Zydrunas Ilgauskas
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,420

Post#74 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:51 am

sisibilio wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Big J wrote:

Boban is one of the most effective scorers in NBA history and he's still unplayable.

How much better is JV than Edey, defensively? JV gets starter's minutes and nice contracts and is playing for a contender. I have to admit JV moves his feet somewhat well, particularly as a young lithuanian player. Possibly Edey gives you similar offense to JV. It's going to be interesting to see if he can play in the nba or not, I'm not really sure.

It's crazy that Aaron Grey was getting minutes less than a decade ago.

Dominant/Dominate are two different words and are spelled differently. I should put this in my sig, it annoying me is a me problem, though.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,272

Post#75 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:20 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Zach Edey, old school big but is probably the best in the draft at setting screens, i have a feeling of all the bigs, he would work well with a dominate pick n roll ball handler. Would be a great back up center and guy on the bench, and maybe one day could be a 25mpg starter.

Even though he is huge, Z has some touch and has a decent jumpshot, is a much better free throw shooter than Gobert and Kessler.

Z is not a gimmick player, he is an actual legit basketball player and yes he is 100 times better than Tacko Fall.

Edey is great at setting the pick and roll but the biggest concern is his ability to defend the pick and roll at the NBA level.

Z's Floor would be Boban, his ceiling could be a slightly better or better rebounding Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Ilgauskus was a pretty good big man like 15 years ago. But I don't know what type of player he'd be in today's game..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,174

Post#76 » by Dat2U » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:00 pm

The next Boban. Huge, skilled & Insanely efficient big who tries but will struggle to defend in space. Skilled bigs with range will eat him alive. Also will shine in limited minutes as a productive scorer & rebounder. I could see a bad team giving him extended run and enjoying the show until its time acutally win and start defending.

Worth a pick in the 30s to 40s in this draft.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 549

Post#77 » by Goldbum » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:44 am

I see himmin Portland with the 2nd round pick. The Blazers need size in a big way. I don't think he ever plays more than 12 minutes a game in the PNW but that's 12 less minutes of being disgustingly under sized.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#78 » by TheDraftGuy » Mon May 1, 2023 1:24 am

Goldbum wrote:I see himmin Portland with the 2nd round pick. The Blazers need size in a big way. I don't think he ever plays more than 12 minutes a game in the PNW but that's 12 less minutes of being disgustingly under sized.

Portland is EXACTLY who I feel should take him.

Ideally, Portland acquires a Thompson twin/Hendricks/Walker and Edey.

Either that or the Hornets could use a combination like this to put next to LaMelo.

Now, here's a neat stat. Some may find it arbitrary but as a threshold type stat, it hasn't really failed (you're free to go out and do your own comparisons):

Basically, traditional centers of the modern era (1980-now) who, as college freshmen that play significant minutes on their Div I caliber team, averaged 12/8.5 on mid-50 FG% per 28 minutes (Shaq's minutes, he was my template here).....have all practically gone on to become quality centers.

Of those who meet that criteria and demonstrated elite athleticism, footwork, skills (aka top prospects): Shaq, Robinson, Hakeem, Sampson, Embiid, KAT, Ayton, Oden

Of those who meet that criteria, in general (proven themselves relative to their draft position): DeMarcus Cousins, Robert Williams III, Wendell Carter Jr, Hassan Whiteside.

Young and promising players like Jalen Duren, Walker Kessler, and maybe Holmgren if you count him as a traditional center, have also met this benchmark.

None of these guys are truly failures as players/talents. A player like Whiteside may be the worst player listed but his problem wasn't his size or skills so much as his effort/IQ.

To me, what that stat demonstrates is that if you show elite productivity as a freshmen, you're simply so far ahead of your peers that you'll succeed in the NBA.

Now, Zach Edey barely misses this cut off point by .1 rebound. In which case, I think you may allow lee way here because I don't think 8.4 rebounds versus 8.5 rebounds is a big enough drop off point that Edey is disqualified.

Personally, I was big on Duren and Kessler. They seem to be doing well, so far. I can see something similar for Zach Edey.

I think, at worst, you'll get an Enes Kanter/Hassan Whiteside type player who can put up stats but struggle defensively. That's a decent starter and high quality bench guy.

At best, you get the next Jokic - a quality center prospect who was skipped out on simply for being too slow and unathletic to keep up in the modern NBA.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#79 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 1, 2023 2:40 am

1 on 1, he can score on his hook shot or drop step, left or right, from 10' out, against maybe anybody in NBA, except 1 or 2 perhaps. Below is the physical reality, Lively 7'1, 7'8 wingspan can't block it. Not every big C has that touch from distance, that's a huge edge. At 300 lbs with strong legs, you're not moving him off the block unless he wants to be moved. In NBA, I expect his screen actions to be very effective.

For him to succeed, it requires the proper roster mix.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#80 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 12, 2023 8:55 am

Been rewatching a lot of Edey and I don't think he is draftable. He has feathery touch within a really limited range. If balls are low, if he has to dribble, if he gets thrown off balance even a tiny bit, he can't hold onto the ball. He has terrible lateral speed, I don't even know if you can run him as a drop big because even if he drops guards can still blow by him. You basically have to commit to playing zone with him, IMO. He has very good end to end speed for his size, but that doesn't matter too much when you look at the shortcomings. You have to hope that an 8-foot jump hook becomes an elite NBA weapon, but considering how you have to slow down your offense to accommodate what he does & I don't see him as being high volume enough or efficient enough to justify that, considering everything you will give up. He also has poor vision and coordination as a passer. If I end up wrong definitely willing to own it, but would be shocked if he ends up as more than a deep bench player.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to NBA Draft