Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

elias808
Junior
And1: 316

Re: Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock? 

Post#141 » by elias808 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 8:45 am

crows2 wrote:
elias808 wrote:Jalen Williams from Santa Clara

Winner of the thread.

Not to toot my own horn, but beep beep!
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,590

Re: Who is your 2022 prospect who will be shockingly better than his draft stock? 

Post#142 » by MemphisX » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:58 am

Still early...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
crows2
Senior
And1: 565

Post#143 » by crows2 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 10:54 am

elias808 wrote:
crows2 wrote:
elias808 wrote:Jalen Williams from Santa Clara

Winner of the thread.

What did you love about J-Dub pre-draft? What are your thoughts on his brother in this year’s draft? Any picks for “shockingly better than his stock” this year?
elias808
Junior
And1: 316

Post#144 » by elias808 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:34 pm

crows2 wrote:
elias808 wrote:
crows2 wrote:
Winner of the thread.

What did you love about J-Dub pre-draft? What are your thoughts on his brother in this year’s draft? Any picks for “shockingly better than his stock” this year?

Effortless athlete with great size/length but never relied on it. Used IQ and skill to find his spots and teammates in both half/open court. Three level scorer with 50/40/80 splits. Played three years for a great teaching coach in Herb Sendek, who asked him to be the primary ball handler in an offense that runs a high percentage of set plays. Not a great comparison, but Brandon Roy had a similar style.

I believe I had him #3 on my big board that year. It was so clear that he, at worst, was going to be a high level roll player. And at best, well you’re seeing it. Super low bust potential. I really like players of JDubs archetype. I couldn’t care less about him being an “older prospect” or “from a small school” or any of those types of narratives. Drafting for potential and just potential is how GMs get fired.

I have just started digging into this years draft now that there has been enough games to actually evaluate talent. Watched a videos of CDub and he had a similar game to his brother. That thing that pops on tape is, same as his brother, dude just had that ability to get that ball in the bucket when attacking the rim. It might not look pretty, but it just goes in.

Return to NBA Draft