Keyonte George - Baylor

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,409

Re: Keyonte George - Baylor 

Post#21 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:48 pm

clyde21 wrote:i mean he's shooting 32% on over 8 attempts per at a mid 80s FT%, has a strong live dribble game, can get shots off on multiple levels, shooting mechanics not broken, shown glimpses of both spot up shooting and a pull game.

sometimes it's not just about raw shooting numbers, especially for a FS in a limited sample size.

you and Evan both make good points and i don't necessarily disagree. as a fan of a team drafting in that late lottery range, just concerns more than anything.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#22 » by The-Power » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:52 am

I think he'll be comparable to Poole as a shooter. Can shoot 3s off a lot of different actions and also get really hot but some of the shots are also really off and he'll have to rely on other facets of the game. Ultimately, if he can do enough as a playmaker and driver while holding up defensively, that's more than enough as a shooter to warrant a high draft pick even though that means he may never be a top-tier offensive player. I have him as the second ‘small’ player in this draft behind Scoot and it's not really close.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:56 pm

the consistency in which he shoots like **** is almost comical. and i'm a keyonte george fan (hell with the jazz having a zillion picks, i'm a fan of every prospect) and rooting for him to be good. but dude just can't throw it in the ocean.

the latest: 2-9 FGs and 6 points vs mighty northwestern state.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,261

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:38 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:the consistency in which he shoots like **** is almost comical. and i'm a keyonte george fan (hell with the jazz having a zillion picks, i'm a fan of every prospect) and rooting for him to be good. but dude just can't throw it in the ocean.

since then for KG:

21/6/4
16/3/1
27/6/2
22/5/2
32/7/2 (tonight)

clearly top 5 imo, being vastly underrated right now. his tools and two-way game are being really understated.
crows2
Senior
And1: 565

Post#25 » by crows2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:49 am

clyde21 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:the consistency in which he shoots like **** is almost comical. and i'm a keyonte george fan (hell with the jazz having a zillion picks, i'm a fan of every prospect) and rooting for him to be good. but dude just can't throw it in the ocean.

since then for KG:

21/6/4
16/3/1
27/6/2
22/5/2
32/7/2 (tonight)

clearly top 5 imo, being vastly underrated right now. his tools and two-way game are being really understated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - No one is "clearly top 5" at the moment other than Wembanyama and Scoot. If you think other players are "clearly" ahead of everyone else then you're seeing something that no one else, including all the pro scouts, are seeing. Picks 3-10 are still extremely even and fluid currently. If George was shooting 50-40-90 over the whole season rather than 38-33-82, then he might be seen as clearly top 5. But at this stage no one in college has separated themselves from the rest. They all have major question marks which they're yet to dispel.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,526

Post#26 » by baldur » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:03 am

crows2 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

since then for KG:

21/6/4
16/3/1
27/6/2
22/5/2
32/7/2 (tonight)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - No one is "clearly top 5" at the moment other than Wembanyama and Scoot. If you think other players are "clearly" ahead of everyone else then you're seeing something that no one else, including all the pro scouts, are seeing. Picks 3-10 are still extremely even and fluid currently. If George was shooting 50-40-90 over the whole season rather than 38-33-82, then he might be seen as clearly top 5. But at this stage no one in college has separated themselves from the rest. They all have major question marks which they're yet to dispel.

50-40-90 is a rare achievement though. If he does that, he can even go at 2.
crows2
Senior
And1: 565

Post#27 » by crows2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 am

baldur wrote:
crows2 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
since then for KG:

21/6/4
16/3/1
27/6/2
22/5/2
32/7/2 (tonight)

50-40-90 is a rare achievement though. If he does that, he can even go at 2.

Yeah that's not really my point. The numbers that George, and all the other freshmen, have put up so far this year haven't been enough to separate any of them from the pack.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#28 » by reanimator » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:50 pm

Don't care about the efficiency. He shoots a good FT% and the flashes game to game on the ball, off the ball, and as a playmaker are all there. Just needs to get stronger and finish through contact at the rim.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#29 » by The-Power » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm

He reminds me a lot of Jordan Poole. Stronger built but not quite as quick; but other than that, a lot of the same positives and limitations or inconsistencies. And since I like Poole, I'm also a fan of George as a prospect. The one thing he'll have to be down the road, though, is an above average efficiency scorer in order to warrant being picked where I currently have him (3-8 range). The moment he's just an average efficiency scorer, he'd have to step up in a major way either in terms of running a team or defending at a very high level – and neither is easy to achieve in his case.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#30 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:24 pm

The-Power wrote:He reminds me a lot of Jordan Poole. Stronger built but not quite as quick; but other than that, a lot of the same positives and limitations or inconsistencies. And since I like Poole, I'm also a fan of George as a prospect. The one thing he'll have to be down the road, though, is an above average efficiency scorer in order to warrant being picked where I currently have him (3-8 range). The moment he's just an average efficiency scorer, he'd have to step up in a major way either in terms of running a team or defending at a very high level – and neither is easy to achieve in his case.

he's already a good defender, and that's just one of the many areas the JP comp fails.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#31 » by The-Power » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:10 am

clyde21 wrote:
The-Power wrote:He reminds me a lot of Jordan Poole. Stronger built but not quite as quick; but other than that, a lot of the same positives and limitations or inconsistencies. And since I like Poole, I'm also a fan of George as a prospect. The one thing he'll have to be down the road, though, is an above average efficiency scorer in order to warrant being picked where I currently have him (3-8 range). The moment he's just an average efficiency scorer, he'd have to step up in a major way either in terms of running a team or defending at a very high level – and neither is easy to achieve in his case.

he's already a good defender, and that's just one of the many areas the JP comp fails.

He's not. There's a big difference between making the occasional defensive play (especially in college) and playing consistently good defense in the NBA. Also, it's not an insult to compare him to Poole even though I know you believe it to be – it would be a very solid outcome for George (even if not the high-end outcome).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:48 am

The-Power wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

He's not. There's a big difference between making the occasional defensive play (especially in college) and playing consistently good defense in the NBA. Also, it's not an insult to compare him to Poole even though I know you believe it to be – it would be a very solid outcome for George (even if not the high-end outcome).

if im taking him in the top5 i sure as hell hope I'm getting a much more winning player than what JP is today.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,028

Post#33 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:29 am

George is still my favorite player for the draft when it comes to the guys playing college. I think he has a much better overall feel for the game compared to Poole. I dont think George is a great defender by any means, but I also think he has better awareness on that end compared to Poole.

I have George as a similar player type as a Mitchell/LaVine/Beal. Be your primary scorer who will get you 4-5 assists. Best to team him up with a smart low volume PG.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#34 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:50 am

KG's actually a good team defender, and doesn't have JP's physical limitations defensively (he's longer, not high-hipped and just way more physical), and I trust his defensive instincts way more

he has also more guard skills than he's been allowed to show at Baylor sharing the back court with Flagler and Cryer, can actually do work half court setting up plays, and again he's very toolsy, that's being overlooked for some reason.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,291

Post#35 » by God Squad » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:George is still my favorite player for the draft when it comes to the guys playing college. I think he has a much better overall feel for the game compared to Poole. I dont think George is a great defender by any means, but I also think he has better awareness on that end compared to Poole.

I have George as a similar player type as a Mitchell/LaVine/Beal. Be your primary scorer who will get you 4-5 assists. Best to team him up with a smart low volume PG.

His playstyle is very reminiscent of Beal. That's who I'd comp him to atm.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:42 pm

God Squad wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:George is still my favorite player for the draft when it comes to the guys playing college. I think he has a much better overall feel for the game compared to Poole. I dont think George is a great defender by any means, but I also think he has better awareness on that end compared to Poole.

His playstyle is very reminiscent of Beal. That's who I'd comp him to atm.

beal was a better run/jump athlete coming out of florida, but otherwise i tend to agree that's one of the best comps. i'd say keyonte george is ahead of him as a passer/playmaker, however
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:29 pm

love seeing the production start to match the skillset. 27 on 15 shots vs ttu.

27, 22, 32, and 27 in 4 of his last 5 games. 22 and 6 on 59% TS in Big 12 play. small sample but it's fun to watch him start to roll a bit here.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,272

Post#38 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:21 pm

The-Power wrote:I think he'll be comparable to Poole as a shooter. Can shoot 3s off a lot of different actions and also get really hot but some of the shots are also really off and he'll have to rely on other facets of the game. Ultimately, if he can do enough as a playmaker and driver while holding up defensively, that's more than enough as a shooter to warrant a high draft pick even though that means he may never be a top-tier offensive player. I have him as the second ‘small’ player in this draft behind Scoot and it's not really close.

It should be fairly close, with George, Nick Smith and Cason Wallace..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,590

Post#39 » by MemphisX » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:29 pm

Thing is, Poole was not even close to what George is in college. Poole was basically a Warriors development story.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,134

Post#40 » by The Moose » Tue Feb 7, 2023 7:26 am

My question about George is where is the rim pressure/self generated looks at the rim. Thats the reason he's so streaky, and shooting sub 40% from the field on the season, when he's making jumpers he looks great, when he's not, he doesn't.

Through 23 games this season he has 10 unassisted makes at the rim. Fultz for example in 25 games had 60 unassisted rim makes.

Read on Twitter

This is from earlier in the season, but he's actually dropped below that mark now, he's at around 0.6 UARM/40mins.
Guard prospects who generate self created rim attempts at the ncaa level at such a low rate don't have the best history

I think its more likely he is taller Cole Anthony

Return to NBA Draft