Keyonte George - Baylor

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Keyonte George - Baylor 

Post#41 » by reanimator » Thu Feb 9, 2023 2:15 pm

The Moose wrote:My question about George is where is the rim pressure/self generated looks at the rim. Thats the reason he's so streaky, and shooting sub 40% from the field on the season, when he's making jumpers he looks great, when he's not, he doesn't.

Through 23 games this season he has 10 unassisted makes at the rim. Fultz for example in 25 games had 60 unassisted rim makes.

Read on Twitter

This is from earlier in the season, but he's actually dropped below that mark now, he's at around 0.6 UARM/40mins.
Guard prospects who generate self created rim attempts at the ncaa level at such a low rate don't have the best history

I think its more likely he is taller Cole Anthony

Yeah, I mentioned earlier in this thread that finishing is an issue but thats more a product of strength and can be solved.

Read on Twitter

After Scoot, he is bar none the most advanced shot creator in this class.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,261

Post#42 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 5:21 pm

he's #4 after Wemby, Scoot and Black.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,921

Post#43 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:25 pm

reanimator wrote:
The Moose wrote:My question about George is where is the rim pressure/self generated looks at the rim. Thats the reason he's so streaky, and shooting sub 40% from the field on the season, when he's making jumpers he looks great, when he's not, he doesn't.

Through 23 games this season he has 10 unassisted makes at the rim. Fultz for example in 25 games had 60 unassisted rim makes.

Read on Twitter

This is from earlier in the season, but he's actually dropped below that mark now, he's at around 0.6 UARM/40mins.
Guard prospects who generate self created rim attempts at the ncaa level at such a low rate don't have the best history

Yeah, I mentioned earlier in this thread that finishing is an issue but thats more a product of strength and can be solved.

Read on Twitter

What is the utility of creating shot's that are below average efficiency?
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,409

Post#44 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:28 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

because the shooting efficiency can and should improve over time when we're talking about an 18 year old.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,921

Post#45 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Feb 9, 2023 10:31 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Read on Twitter

because the shooting efficiency can and should improve over time when we're talking about an 18 year old.

Ok but that's true of every 18/19/20 year old in the draft. Why choose Keyonte instead of the others?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 11:54 pm

because there are things like mechanics, tools and game film that help project players to the next level.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:02 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:What is the utility of creating shot's that are below average efficiency?

Ok but that's true of every 18/19/20 year old in the draft. Why choose Keyonte instead of the others?

that's why people talk about shot creation ability - he already has that at a young age. shooting almost always gets better for guys as long as their mechanics are sound.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#48 » by reanimator » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:31 am

TheSuzerain wrote:What is the utility of creating shot's that are below average efficiency?

To me, good shot creation is hard to learn but converting is something I believe Keyonte can improve on just by maturing physically and cleaning up poor shot selection. The poor efficiency isn't a result of lack of burst, touch, or creativity so I'll take those odds even while acknowledging his warts.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Post#49 » by The-Power » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:10 am

Just finished watching the Baylor v. Kansas game and George got absolutely cooked defending on the ball, without a pick, at least four times. His defensive effort and understanding has to improve considerably or else he'll have to add a lot of value on offense almost every time he's on the floor to not hurt his team. The offensive talent is obvious – although the shot selection was poor – but he'll have to find ways to be more than just a scorer who sometimes runs hot and at other times goes cold.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:he's #4 after Wemby, Scoot and Black.

damn clyde, you were ridiculously high on Keyonte at one point. i don't remember where you had him by draft time (he did sorta take a dive after this post in terms of his play and production), but i hope like hell you were on point with this.

(edit) nvm, just saw in the draft winners/losers thread you still had him at 4. you and i don't always agree, but i respect your thoughts on prospects and it's encouraging that you think so highly of him.

i've been up down on him in this thread - mostly critical - but he's clearly a skilled player with some upside. as a jazz fan i have to hope some of his poor play toward the end of the season was nagging injury perhaps being a bit out of shape - came in to baylor heavy - and that if he can stay healthy and in great shape he can reach his top end potential.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 pm

he was still #4 for me on final board, I think the Jazz got a steal.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:17 am

You’re looking good here clyde.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#53 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:51 am

I have a lot of respect for him after seeing how hard he worked to transform him body. He put himself in the best situation to succeed. If the Jazz are going to throw undersized chuckers out there I'd rather it be him than Sexton or Clarkson. At least this kid has at least some playmaking ability. He's just so bad on defense though which is a shame. Maybe coaching can get through to him. There's a lot of bad defensive guards but he often looks disinterested on that end with no effort.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:01 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:You’re looking good here clyde.

i mean it's still super early but thanks

i think he's a bit more toolsy than the regular combo guard prospect we've seen recently, also think he can be more of a lead guard in the NBA than what he showed at Baylor

there is a chance he doesn't completely develop there and he's just another one of those score first combo guards that eventually end up getting way overpaid on their second deals, but we'll see
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,104

Post#55 » by h4rrison » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:31 am

Man I wanted the raps to draft him! Killin it in SL
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,175
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#56 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:31 am

clyde21 wrote:

i think he's a bit more toolsy than the regular combo guard prospect we've seen recently, also think he can be more of a lead guard in the NBA than what he showed at Baylor

there is a chance he doesn't completely develop there and he's just another one of those score first combo guards that eventually end up getting way overpaid on their second deals, but we'll see

Hell, even if he's just a microwave scoring combo guard or 6th man, that's still a solid pick at 18. If he's that with upside to do more, great pick.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,993

Post#57 » by Nuntius » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:47 am

Not gonna lie, he's playing way better than I expected. I didn't anticipate this level of playmaking.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#58 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:37 pm

It was weird to me that people had Key lower than NSJ in most cases. I had Key at 9 and NSJ at 30 on my final board.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#59 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:02 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Hell, even if he's just a microwave scoring combo guard or 6th man, that's still a solid pick at 18. If he's that with upside to do more, great pick.

#16 actually and yeah, you cannot fault the Jazz for picking him there. Jazz had a great draft
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,368

Post#60 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:27 pm

I think the defense is why he fell but yeah he looks good.

I like the fit with THT as a starter for the Jazz and if that happens then he's an obvious ROY candidate.
One of Clarkson or Sexton is a bit of an odd man out.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to NBA Draft