Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Re: Anthony Black - Arkansas 

Post#261 » by basketballRob » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:10 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:11 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl in 30 minutes with a +32 plus minus with exceptional defense in his first start

This follows his 2nd real game 16 minutes against the Jazz.

Black will forever be underrated because he's not an explosive scorer but will indisputably be one of the 2-3 most impactful/winning players for this class

He's no Scoot though right?
What do you mean?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#262 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:58 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Anthony Black would have been a top program college WR, to say he isn't that athletic is just false.

Who said he isn’t athletic?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#263 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:Black is just such a high IQ player. you combine that with excellent size, athleticism and effort - i'm not really sure how this guy fails.

He fails if he can’t shoot.

Look at the players who went ahead of him. Scoot and the Thompson Twins are combined like 3-60 from 3.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

Yes? Look at them.

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,384

Post#264 » by ItsDanger » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:05 pm

EvanZ wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Anthony Black would have been a top program college WR, to say he isn't that athletic is just false.

Some tend to work around the edges. But the intent is clear as day.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#265 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:05 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Some tend to work around the edges. But the intent is clear as day.

So nobody is actually saying it. Cool.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#266 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:12 pm

Black has a +64 Net Rating in his 55 minutes so far, with a 38.5 On/Off.

obviously small sample size and these metrics will normalize soon but this will be story of Black's career...constant underrating by general public meanwhile he continues to absolutely shred all impact metrics.

he'll be a great litmus test to know which people know what they are talking about and which dont right off the bat.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#267 » by Big J » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:52 pm

What is up with this guy? Can't get minutes over the trash Orlando guards. Bust?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,966

Post#268 » by thelead » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:02 am

Big J wrote:What is up with this guy? Can't get minutes over the trash Orlando guards. Bust?

The team is currently tied for 5th in the east and isn't worried about giving rookies minutes at the moment. He'll be fine. His defense is legit. The shot looks better than expected. His aggressiveness on offense needs a lot of work but I chalk that up to youth and personality. I'm not worried about his development.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,308

Post#269 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:34 pm

Big J wrote:What is up with this guy? Can't get minutes over the trash Orlando guards. Bust?

Who is trash?

Suggs is an All-Defensive level defender who has developed a consistent shot from 3.
Cole Anthony is an MLE level Guard who provides spacing and playmaking.

Otherwise, Black ranks 6th on the team in total minutes, 3rd in total Guard Minutes. That seems ahead of schedule for the #6 pick looking at that range in the past 5-6 years.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#270 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 6:28 pm

Is Anthony Black a point guard? Can he handle playmaking duties?

People are saying he's not a PG and isn't a playmaker because of how he was utilized as a rookie. Curious how the draft experts around here project him after a season of NBA data.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#271 » by clyde21 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:05 pm

ofc he's a PG, if you're not gonna play him at PG why did you even draft him?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#272 » by eyriq » Fri May 10, 2024 7:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:ofc he's a PG, if you're not gonna play him at PG why did you even draft him?
He's been a PG at every level and we drafted him as a PG. What are some reasons for Mosley not playing him in a playmaker role as a rookie?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#273 » by clyde21 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:17 pm

eyriq wrote:
clyde21 wrote:ofc he's a PG, if you're not gonna play him at PG why did you even draft him?
He's been a PG at every level and we drafted him as a PG. What are some reasons for Mosley not playing him in a playmaker role as a rookie?

no clue, other than not enough shooting on the Magic roster as is and AB is still not a dynamic in that department , but if he's not gonna be your PG then there was no point in drafting him at all
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,089

Post#274 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 11, 2024 9:56 am

If Black was coming out this year he'd be what...the 9th or 10th ranked point guard? Dillingham, Collier, Castle, Sheppard, McCain, Carter, Carrington, Topic...and then Black? I never saw the appeal. I am not surprised one bit that he failed to get many minutes even with the mid guys ahead of him. He was an overrated defender. He's not his listed height no matter what the "official" measurements says due to his massive fro. He has an ordinary wingspan (can't embellish those), he had barely a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio and he couldn't shoot. I have no idea how he went so high. Maybe because it was a weak PG class? I know he shot 39% from three his rookie season but that's maybe misleading. Take away two fluke hot games (4-4 one game and 4-6 in another) and considering his low volume and 61% FT, there's not much to suggest it's legit.

If I was G.M. I'd move Anthony and give those minutes to Black if possible. I at least like him far more than Anthony. But Anthony makes too much and I can't see a team biting. I think it'd probably be easier to package Black, Howard, Isaac and picks to get a true pointy guard. Trae, Kyrie, Fox, Garland, and Lillard could all be looking for greener pastures in the off-season. All would probably view no state tax and a ready to compete roster as very attractive and ORL has the combination of young players, salary, cap space and picks to make it happen
Rustyman
Junior
And1: 322

Post#275 » by Rustyman » Sat May 11, 2024 11:19 am

If the Spurs could trade for Black for a couple of seconds, or even a mid/late first, I would do it in a heartbeat.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,463

Post#276 » by azcatz11 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:If Black was coming out this year he'd be what...the 9th or 10th ranked point guard? Dillingham, Collier, Castle, Sheppard, McCain, Carter, Carrington, Topic...and then Black? I never saw the appeal. I am not surprised one bit that he failed to get many minutes even with the mid guys ahead of him. He was an overrated defender. He's not his listed height no matter what the "official" measurements says due to his massive fro. He has an ordinary wingspan (can't embellish those), he had barely a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio and he couldn't shoot. I have no idea how he went so high. Maybe because it was a weak PG class? I know he shot 39% from three his rookie season but that's maybe misleading. Take away two fluke hot games (4-4 one game and 4-6 in another) and considering his low volume and 61% FT, there's not much to suggest it's legit.

If I was G.M. I'd move Anthony and give those minutes to Black if possible. I at least like him far more than Anthony. But Anthony makes too much and I can't see a team biting. I think it'd probably be easier to package Black, Howard, Isaac and picks to get a true pointy guard. Trae, Kyrie, Fox, Garland, and Lillard could all be looking for greener pastures in the off-season. All would probably view no state tax and a ready to compete roster as very attractive and ORL has the combination of young players, salary, cap space and picks to make it happen

People are going to make the same mistake with the kid from Miami...these guys who look the part but aren't really good always flame out. I said he wasn't good either 1st page of this thread.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by eyriq » Sat May 11, 2024 5:32 pm

I think Mosley put him in a role that positioned him best to contribute to winning, not to develop his playmaking skills. That said, there is still a lot to like about what he showed his rookie year.

I looked at player similarities based on per 100 possession stats from B-R. For Anthony Black, 32 year old Bruce Bowen and 31 year old Andre Iguodala come up. Iggy was the most complete player but AB's potential is clear as day given his scoring capabilities and age.

Player Statistics Summary:

Anthony Black (2024):
  • PTS: 13.4
  • TRB: 5.9
  • AST: 3.9
  • FG%: 46.6%
  • 3P%: 39.4%
  • FT%: 61.3%
  • FG: 4.9
  • FGA: 10.5
  • 3P: 1.6
  • 3PA: 4.0
  • 2P: 3.3
  • 2PA: 6.5
  • FT: 2.1
  • FTA: 3.4
  • ORB: 1.4
  • DRB: 4.5
  • STL: 1.5
  • BLK: 0.9
  • TOV: 2.4
  • PF: 4.7

Bruce Bowen (2004):
  • PTS: 11.6
  • TRB: 5.2
  • AST: 2.3
  • FG%: 42.0%
  • 3P%: 36.3%
  • FT%: 57.9%
  • FG: 4.3
  • FGA: 10.3
  • 3P: 1.6
  • 3PA: 4.3
  • 2P: 2.7
  • 2PA: 5.9
  • FT: 1.4
  • FTA: 2.3
  • ORB: 0.9
  • DRB: 4.3
  • STL: 1.7
  • BLK: 0.7
  • TOV: 1.8
  • PF: 3.4

Andre Iguodala (2015):
  • PTS: 14.3
  • TRB: 6.1
  • AST: 5.4
  • FG%: 46.6%
  • 3P%: 34.9%
  • FT%: 59.6%
  • FG: 5.5
  • FGA: 11.7
  • 3P: 1.7
  • 3PA: 5.0
  • 2P: 3.7
  • 2PA: 6.7
  • FT: 1.6
  • FTA: 2.7
  • ORB: 1.0
  • DRB: 5.0
  • STL: 2.1
  • BLK: 0.6
  • TOV: 2.1
  • PF: 2.4
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#278 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:If Black was coming out this year he'd be what...the 9th or 10th ranked point guard? Dillingham, Collier, Castle, Sheppard, McCain, Carter, Carrington, Topic...and then Black? I never saw the appeal. I am not surprised one bit that he failed to get many minutes even with the mid guys ahead of him. He was an overrated defender. He's not his listed height no matter what the "official" measurements says due to his massive fro. He has an ordinary wingspan (can't embellish those), he had barely a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio and he couldn't shoot. I have no idea how he went so high. Maybe because it was a weak PG class? I know he shot 39% from three his rookie season but that's maybe misleading. Take away two fluke hot games (4-4 one game and 4-6 in another) and considering his low volume and 61% FT, there's not much to suggest it's legit.

People are going to make the same mistake with the kid from Miami...these guys who look the part but aren't really good always flame out. I said he wasn't good either 1st page of this thread.

George? Difference is George is a legit 6'8" and shot 41% from three. I can see some similarities with them being taller guards with point skills, potential on defense and feel for the game. George only starting 16 games and playing out of position a lot of the time makes evaluating him more difficult and a more hypothetical prospect imo. We had way more information on Black.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#279 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 11, 2024 8:14 pm

Rustyman wrote:If the Spurs could trade for Black for a couple of seconds, or even a mid/late first, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'd love for the Kings to get him but why trade a mid-round pick for him when there'll be multiple better point guards likely still on the board? Teams are hesitant to admit they over-drafted guys so there's no chance ORL would move him for a draft pick.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by eyriq » Sat May 11, 2024 9:18 pm

Are there really better PG prospects in this draft over AB? That sounds like bs.

Return to NBA Draft