Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,270

Re: Jordan Hawkins - UConn 

Post#261 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:02 pm

mattg wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
mattg wrote:No, you're literally making a straw man that I've never been arguing. You're demanding I tell you who I think is the best in the last decade with receipts for some reason, I literally tell you I think Herro was a clearly better shooting prospect and there's plenty of receipts for that. But I haven't sat down and gone over the last decade of prospects breaking them all down to say for certain Herro is the best shooting prospect to me, but I'd rate him clearly above Hawkins in that regard and told you why. I know you're just trying to find a gotcha moment or some dumb **** but again you still haven't addressed what I said about Hawkins draft position. Why is he not being rated a surefire top-10 guy in this crappy draft if he is that elite of a shooter that also has athleticism, defense, AND further offensive upside? How bout instead of deflecting nonstop you just explain that disconnect?

you're speaking to the biggest Herro fan on this board - I was the one talking about how good he is when almost everyone was saying he wasn't a lotto guy - you can look up those convos and here we are again.

and Herro was not a better shooting prospect than Hawkins. he was a better prospect because he had more playmaking and on-ball chops but as a pure shooting prospect no, Herro wasn't really better.

it's hilarious seeing how offended you got tho because ONE guy said he was and the only name you can come up with yourself is Herro. if it's such a crazy take to you you should have a laundry list of better shooters to come out recently than Hawkins.

I'm just asking to explain that if Hawkins is what you say he is, why isn't he a surefire top 10 guy for you? Seems simple. I've done all the crap you've asked and you can't do what I'm asking? I'm not offended, I'm just annoyed that you refuse to read posts repeatedly. You refuse to address that, and try to pivot to ripping on me and emphatically claiming no one said Hawkins was the best shooting prospect in a decade, I then provide you the receipt showing you that you were completely wrong and you pivot again to something else. Creating strawmen and ad hominems. Grow up. We can disagree on how good prospects are but the fact is right now you are repeatedly refusing to answer a simple question about Hawkins draft position. Why isn't he surefire top 10 in this bad draft with his sick offensive skill set.

And you weren't the biggest Herro fan FYI. You spent a good chunk of that season literally referring to my explanations while you simply posted twitter clips and stuff and 1 sentence posts about him. You really, really liked him, but come on.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1765142&start=20#p85264650

There's the receipts for you. There's plenty more that I can pull out too.

i was the first to put Herro in the top 10 on this board - sit the **** down. we don't even know how high you had him because you don't actually post boards - there are a few of you that like to weasel around these threads and criticize and never actually post any rankings of prospects.

and why don't I have him top 10? not sure what kinda question is that. I don't have him top 10 because I have 10 other prospects ranked higher. why does this to be explained to you?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,617

Post#262 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:13 pm

A lot of low basketball IQ people had the same criticisms about Devin Booker in 2015. Those same people are saying the same garbage about Hawkins now. Oh well, they will never learn.....
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#263 » by mattg » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:
mattg wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
you're speaking to the biggest Herro fan on this board - I was the one talking about how good he is when almost everyone was saying he wasn't a lotto guy - you can look up those convos and here we are again.

and Herro was not a better shooting prospect than Hawkins. he was a better prospect because he had more playmaking and on-ball chops but as a pure shooting prospect no, Herro wasn't really better.

it's hilarious seeing how offended you got tho because ONE guy said he was and the only name you can come up with yourself is Herro. if it's such a crazy take to you you should have a laundry list of better shooters to come out recently than Hawkins.

I'm just asking to explain that if Hawkins is what you say he is, why isn't he a surefire top 10 guy for you? Seems simple. I've done all the crap you've asked and you can't do what I'm asking? I'm not offended, I'm just annoyed that you refuse to read posts repeatedly. You refuse to address that, and try to pivot to ripping on me and emphatically claiming no one said Hawkins was the best shooting prospect in a decade, I then provide you the receipt showing you that you were completely wrong and you pivot again to something else. Creating strawmen and ad hominems. Grow up. We can disagree on how good prospects are but the fact is right now you are repeatedly refusing to answer a simple question about Hawkins draft position. Why isn't he surefire top 10 in this bad draft with his sick offensive skill set.

And you weren't the biggest Herro fan FYI. You spent a good chunk of that season literally referring to my explanations while you simply posted twitter clips and stuff and 1 sentence posts about him. You really, really liked him, but come on.

i was the first to put Herro in the top 10 on this board - sit the **** down. we don't even know how high you had him because you don't actually post boards - there are a few of you that like to weasel around these threads and criticize and never actually post any rankings of prospects.

and why don't I have him top 10? not sure what kinda question is that. I don't have him top 10 because I have 10 other prospects ranked higher. why does this to be explained to you?

You're right, I don't have time to craft non-stop amateur mock drafts to here because I'm an adult with a life :lol:. The question I asked has obvious relevance because based on your evaluation of Hawkins, he should be going top 10 guaranteed or even fringe top 5 on purely his offensive skillset. If you have that many other guys ahead of him in this weak class, then it's because Hawkins actually isn't nearly as good as what you are saying he is. I get that it's hard for your angsty teenage brain to understand when you're throwing temper tantrums with every single person who disagrees with you on the internet, but I'm sure you'll link a few random twitter clips and memes and feel accomplished or like you "won" the argument you created in your head. Time to block this idiocy and move on.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#264 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:32 pm

mattg wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
mattg wrote:I'm just asking to explain that if Hawkins is what you say he is, why isn't he a surefire top 10 guy for you? Seems simple. I've done all the crap you've asked and you can't do what I'm asking? I'm not offended, I'm just annoyed that you refuse to read posts repeatedly. You refuse to address that, and try to pivot to ripping on me and emphatically claiming no one said Hawkins was the best shooting prospect in a decade, I then provide you the receipt showing you that you were completely wrong and you pivot again to something else. Creating strawmen and ad hominems. Grow up. We can disagree on how good prospects are but the fact is right now you are repeatedly refusing to answer a simple question about Hawkins draft position. Why isn't he surefire top 10 in this bad draft with his sick offensive skill set.

You're right, I don't have time to craft non-stop amateur mock drafts to here because I'm an adult with a life :lol:. The question I asked has obvious relevance because based on your evaluation of Hawkins, he should be going top 10 guaranteed or even fringe top 5 on purely his offensive skillset. If you have that many other guys ahead of him in this weak class, then it's because Hawkins actually isn't nearly as good as what you are saying he is. I get that it's hard for your angsty teenage brain to understand when you're throwing temper tantrums with every single person who disagrees with you on the internet, but I'm sure you'll link a few random twitter clips and memes and feel accomplished or like you "won" the argument you created in your head. Time to block this idiocy and move on.

new rule: if you don't post rankings your opinion on this board means nothing and you will get ignored. tired of having to justify my rankings to weasels who only criticize but never post any of their own.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,594

Post#265 » by JRoy » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:14 am

I haven’t watched enough college ball this year to rank anything. I come here for insight but come back for the ball busting.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#266 » by jezzerinho » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:10 pm

There are some real personalities on here.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#267 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:30 pm

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1369331

Here is the link to Devin Booker's draft thread.....

Basically all of the low basketball IQ people where saying the same things about Booker as what they are saying about Hawkins now. LOL :wink:
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#268 » by Big J » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:48 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:A lot of low basketball IQ people had the same criticisms about Devin Booker in 2015. Those same people are saying the same garbage about Hawkins now. Oh well, they will never learn.....

If he's Devin Booker why isn't he being project top 5 as a minimum? That is what a lot of us have an issue with.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#269 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:28 pm

Big J wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:A lot of low basketball IQ people had the same criticisms about Devin Booker in 2015. Those same people are saying the same garbage about Hawkins now. Oh well, they will never learn.....

If he's Devin Booker why isn't he being project top 5 as a minimum? That is what a lot of us have an issue with.

Booker was drafted 13th. Those same low IQ people said he wasn't worth a lottery pick at the time LOL
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#270 » by Big J » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:32 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Booker was drafted 13th. Those same low IQ people said he wasn't worth a lottery pick at the time LOL

Where Booker was drafted is irrelevant. If Hawkins is as good as him he should be a top 5 pick, like Booker would be in a redraft. Try to keep up.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#271 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:47 pm

Hawkins is not a pure scorer like Booker. He's a pure shooter who can score decent all three levels. Booker is elite on 2 levels and just mediocre as a range shooter. Booker is the better ballhandler. His bag of tricks is much much deeper.

12-15 feels about right for Hawkins.

Anyone strongly disagree?
It has been written...
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#272 » by nybluemeadow » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:38 pm

Hawkins is an elite shooter and his play in March and clutchness will age well in the new NBA. Seems like a safe pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes as high as #5 but safe bet is he goes late lottery.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#273 » by nybluemeadow » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:40 pm

Big J wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Where Booker was drafted is irrelevant. If Hawkins is as good as him he should be a top 5 pick, like Booker would be in a redraft. Try to keep up.

I think what he is talking about is history repeating itself.....
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,127

Post#274 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:50 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Before the draft.
atlantabbq99 wrote:Doncic's is a good prospect but is way over hyped by casual fans on realgm. Doncic is now ranked #7 in nbadraft.net which i agree with.

After the draft.
atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm not buying all the internet fan boy hype on Doncic. I don't really care what he did on a second tier league. I'm open to the possibility that he could be a bust, that wouldn't surprise me, but I also wouldn't be surprise if he can be Manu level or Tony Parker level impact type of player, which is very good player, top 10-15 range, moderate all star, but not an MVP caliber player

Maybe stop repeatedly referring to others as ‘low IQ people’, like a child, just because they got a draft assessment wrong. We all have. The above example took me one minute to come up with. We can go through more receipts if you need them to not feel superior any longer and start having a constructive discussion instead of whatever this is.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#275 » by mattao313 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:15 am

What is your point? Devin Booker is great because he is an elite on ball player and had more in his bag than what he showed in college. He isn't comparable to Hawkins.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#276 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:42 am

The-Power wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Before the draft.
atlantabbq99 wrote:Doncic's is a good prospect but is way over hyped by casual fans on realgm. Doncic is now ranked #7 in nbadraft.net which i agree with.

After the draft.
atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm not buying all the internet fan boy hype on Doncic. I don't really care what he did on a second tier league. I'm open to the possibility that he could be a bust, that wouldn't surprise me, but I also wouldn't be surprise if he can be Manu level or Tony Parker level impact type of player, which is very good player, top 10-15 range, moderate all star, but not an MVP caliber player

Maybe stop repeatedly referring to others as ‘low IQ people’, like a child, just because they got a draft assessment wrong. We all have. The above example took me one minute to come up with. We can go through more receipts if you need them to not feel superior any longer and start having a constructive discussion instead of whatever this is.

LOL, you forgot to mention where i said Luka is a poor man's Magic before draft night.... LOL nice try :lol:

atlantabbq99 wrote:The more film i watch on Doncic, the more i feel like he can be a 12 assist per game player. I'm starting to think he will be a less flashy Magic Johnson, but similar impact .

atlantabbq99 wrote:I hope you are right, but i just think that Doncic is the second coming of Magic Johnson. .

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1716669&p=66884519&hilit=luka+magic#p66884519
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1709359&p=66930183&hilit=luka+magic#p66930183
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,415

Post#277 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:07 pm

mattao313 wrote:
What is your point? Devin Booker is great because he is an elite on ball player and had more in his bag than what he showed in college. He isn't comparable to Hawkins.

so is it possible hawkins has more "in his bag" than what he showed in college?
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#278 » by mattao313 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:57 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

so is it possible hawkins has more "in his bag" than what he showed in college?
Imo no Hawkins was a featured player Booker was relegated to just be a spot up shooter

Championships
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#279 » by jman3134 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:57 pm

mattg wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
mattg wrote:I'm just asking to explain that if Hawkins is what you say he is, why isn't he a surefire top 10 guy for you? Seems simple. I've done all the crap you've asked and you can't do what I'm asking? I'm not offended, I'm just annoyed that you refuse to read posts repeatedly. You refuse to address that, and try to pivot to ripping on me and emphatically claiming no one said Hawkins was the best shooting prospect in a decade, I then provide you the receipt showing you that you were completely wrong and you pivot again to something else. Creating strawmen and ad hominems. Grow up. We can disagree on how good prospects are but the fact is right now you are repeatedly refusing to answer a simple question about Hawkins draft position. Why isn't he surefire top 10 in this bad draft with his sick offensive skill set.

Your self awareness isn't all there in this thread. You're trying to rail me for saying Hawkins is the best "shooting" prospect since Booker. Yet, when prompted, your "best purely shooting prospect of the decade", or however you are framing it, is Tyler Herro, who was selected 13th in the draft. So what is your problem with him or anyone else ranking Jordan Hawkins 10-15, if they are a shooting guard in the same mold as the "best shooting prospect of the decade"? The splitting hairs is absurd. You should apply your same line of questioning to yourself, and ask: why was the best shooting prospect of the decade (Tyler Herro) selected 13th?

To everyone I was addressing besides Matt: there are literally no arguments in this thread, just posters looking to one up one another towards groupthink consensus. If you don't like Hawkins, that is fine. But, please don't come in with arguments like "if he wasn't on UConn, no one would be talking about him." Sure, maybe you can find a casual mock draft site (which is no different than most people on this board), who moved him to the 2nd round during UConn's cold streak. That isn't indicative of what real NBA decision makers are thinking. Apparently, team success is no longer linked to player performance either? If you don't think Hawkins' draw from off ball movement contributed in a major way to UConn's success, you are missing something. As such, he has one of the lowest floors in this draft class. Maybe you don't see him ever developing any other aspect of his game, and his strength limiting him? That would be the floor case. But, in what world is Hawkins a second round pick?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#280 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:24 pm

there is no actual discussion, it's just a bunch of people who never post their rankings or any actual eval of players questioning where others have Hawkins - it's a cesspool of nonsense.

i mean someone literally said Hawkins isn't a good off-ball mover/player. I'm not sure how we can have a serious convo about a player when it's clear people trying to contribute in this thread haven't actually watched him play.

it's ok not to have opinions about players you've never watched.

Return to NBA Draft