Jett Howard

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Jett Howard 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:38 am

Not at all what I would have imagined Juwan’s kid to be. Very skilled offensively but basically a train wreck on d at the moment. Lacks so much physicality on that end. Hope he can figure it out because he could be super fun on O. Regardless seems like a first round talent to me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,164

Re: Jett Howard 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:13 am

EvanZ wrote:Regardless seems like a first round talent to me.

I don't think that's even a question. The question is whether he's a lottery talent or even top 10.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:23 pm

The-Power wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Regardless seems like a first round talent to me.

I don't think that's even a question. The question is whether he's a lottery talent or even top 10.

That's definitely a question.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#4 » by reanimator » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:00 pm

I'm not worried about his defense. The tools are there and that was his calling card at the grassroots level. I expect as his awareness increase on that end, the effort will be there.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,299

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:26 pm

i mean I think he's clearly a 1st round guy, i don't have him in the lotto yet (only have 8 confirmed lotto guys right now) but could see him scaling up if he maintains this volume/efficiency ratio and starts hitting more of his FTs.

clearly he has a lot of tools to be able to put the ball in the basket at the NBA level, and already has an NBA body, the question is how efficient will he be doing it at scale and can he at least be a net neutral on defense. also needs to improve his rebounding and some off-ball stuff considerably.

i think measurements/athletic testing will also be really important for him, could either solidify him as a top10-12 guy or drop him out of the lotto range completely.

don't see him not being a 1st rounder tho in any scenario right now. legit wing size with decent enough athletic profile, premium position, can put the ball in the basket and with NBA pedigree. that's not dropping too far on draft day.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:28 pm

clyde21 wrote:i mean I think he's clearly a 1st round guy, i don't have him in the lotto yet (only have 8 confirmed lotto guys right now) but could see him scaling up if he maintains this volume/efficiency ratio and starts hitting more of his FTs.

To be clear, I literally said he seems like a first round guy. It's weird that people are making it out like I said he's undraftable or something. Weird strawman.

I also don't really know any of these kid's reputations coming into college, so I'm literally basing my opinions off what he's shown in 10 games basically. Unlike other people who look at Givony or whatever to get their opinions. If people are being told he's a Lottery pick or top 10, I'd be very skeptical of that *at the moment*. I need to see more.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,342

Post#7 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:50 pm

I think the debate right now is Gradey Dick vs. Jett Howard. Gradey is probably the more reliable shooter overall. Jett has more self creation and might be just as good shooting off of movement. Neither plays much defense.

I think Jett has more ability as an on-ball initiator than people may think. I could see there being some debate between Jett and Keyonte for some teams in the later lottery, though Keyonte would likely get the nod.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:56 pm

Catchall wrote:
I think Jett has more ability as an on-ball initiator than people may think.

That's like his main selling point to me. :lol:
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#9 » by reanimator » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:25 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i mean I think he's clearly a 1st round guy, i don't have him in the lotto yet (only have 8 confirmed lotto guys right now) but could see him scaling up if he maintains this volume/efficiency ratio and starts hitting more of his FTs.

To be clear, I literally said he seems like a first round guy. It's weird that people are making it out like I said he's undraftable or something. Weird strawman.

I also don't really know any of these kid's reputations coming into college, so I'm literally basing my opinions off what he's shown in 10 games basically. Unlike other people who look at Givony or whatever to get their opinions. If people are being told he's a Lottery pick or top 10, I'd be very skeptical of that *at the moment*. I need to see more.

Well, some of us watch these kids live/on film in HS and consider their full body of work not just a small sample of college games especially the non-conference portion filled with cupcakes.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#10 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:59 am

I'm curious to see if Howard can improve his strength an athleticism to really be a threat putting pressure on the rim. If not, he can be a Tyler Herro-like shooter on the wing with some secondary creation.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#11 » by EvanZ » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:00 pm

reanimator wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Well, some of us watch these kids live/on film in HS and consider their full body of work not just a small sample of college games especially the non-conference portion filled with cupcakes.

The video I posted was a first impression of Jett going up against Kentucky where he was being defended by Cason the entire game. And I came away with the impression he's a first round pick. So...not sure what you're getting on about. By all means keep typing though.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,393

Post#12 » by Hal14 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:05 pm

Catchall wrote:I think the debate right now is Gradey Dick vs. Jett Howard. Gradey is probably the more reliable shooter overall. Jett has more self creation and might be just as good shooting off of movement. Neither plays much defense.

I think Jett has more ability as an on-ball initiator than people may think. I could see there being some debate between Jett and Keyonte for some teams in the later lottery, though Keyonte would likely get the nod.

They're both decent on defense. Jett is firmly ahead as a defender, though.

Gradey is a better cutter and off ball mover. Jett can do more to create off the dribble, like you said. Some of the on ball stuff I've seen from Jett has even included being effective as the PnR ball handler, making reads and some good passes to Dickinson.

Also, Jett is 9 months younger. And while both are listed at 6'8", Jett looks at least 1" taller.

I've got Jett ranked slightly higher, mostly due to the edge in defense and on ball creation..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Catchall
RealGM

Post#13 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:28 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think the debate right now is Gradey Dick vs. Jett Howard. Gradey is probably the more reliable shooter overall. Jett has more self creation and might be just as good shooting off of movement. Neither plays much defense.

Gradey is a better cutter and off ball mover. Jett can do more to create off the dribble, like you said. Some of the on ball stuff I've seen from Jett has even included being effective as the PnR ball handler, making reads and some good passes to Dickinson.

Also, Jett is 9 months younger. And while both are listed at 6'8", Jett looks at least 1" taller.

I've got Jett ranked slightly higher, mostly due to the edge in defense and on ball creation..

I agree with you that Jett rates slightly higher than Gradey Dick, though a high-gravity, knock-down shooter like Dick has tremendous positional value.

Jett Howard's defensive problems seem to be related to lacking awareness and decision-making. He's got enough tools to be an average defender. He also needs to work on his core strength and explosiveness, which would help him on both ends. There's no reason he can't become an above-the-rim finisher.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,164

Post#14 » by The-Power » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:48 am

reanimator wrote:Well, some of us watch these kids live/on film in HS and consider their full body of work not just a small sample of college games especially the non-conference portion filled with cupcakes.

That can't be. People who have an opinion on these players prior to college must have just been following mainstream media for their takes. Why? Because it's important to be able to say ‘I was the first one on this board to have a genuine and informed take on this player and everyone must know that that!’. Now please excuse me, I'll have to open a thread on Victor Wembanyama (French kid playing international basketball) and tell everyone that he may actually be a lottery pick, just so everyone knows!
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,283

Post#15 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:03 pm

I had to do a double-take when I saw how poor his rebounding metrics are.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I had do to a double-take when I saw how poor his rebounding metrics are.

It's very odd to have such low rebounding combined with pretty good amount of blocks.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,102

Post#17 » by Chi town » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:33 am

Good post. Agree about his on ball potential. His handle is smooth and he’s got a legit bag of moves. PG a vibes. He’s got a high IQ on D with anticipation etc but only shows his motor on offense. Feels a bit hungry for shots but doesn’t take too many bad ones and rarely pounds the ball.

He has a higher ceiling than GD. I see him as a high volume 3pt shooter. AJ Griffinish. Like almost all these shooters more than Kispert from a couple years ago.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,102

Post#18 » by Chi town » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:35 am

Catchall wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I agree with you that Jett rates slightly higher than Gradey Dick, though a high-gravity, knock-down shooter like Dick has tremendous positional value.

Jett Howard's defensive problems seem to be related to lacking awareness and decision-making. He's got enough tools to be an average defender. He also needs to work on his core strength and explosiveness, which would help him on both ends. There's no reason he can't become an above-the-rim finisher.

Well said. He def needs to hit weights. Core will help him a lot too.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#19 » by Catchall » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:28 am

Chi town wrote:
Catchall wrote:
Hal14 wrote:They're both decent on defense. Jett is firmly ahead as a defender, though.

Well said. He def needs to hit weights. Core will help him a lot too.

I want to believe that Howard is a more dynamic and athletic offensive player than Caris Levert. Howard at least has that potential, even if he's not there yet.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,898

Post#20 » by theBigLip » Mon Jan 9, 2023 7:40 pm

I’ve watched a handful of Michigan games. He looks like the real deal. Most of these guys will have to get stronger. But Jett seems to have “it”, can make something out of nothing, has a killer shot and good handle. A lot more games to be played but lottery pick for sure.

Return to NBA Draft