RealGM
And1: 10,884

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1981 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:57 pm

zzaj wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q0Zbv7QUrzRY6VJruFoDsg

That clip shows us that he should have had 2 more assists...if his teammates could make easy buckets.

Yeah that was like watching Caitlyn Clark passing highlights lol. Embarrassing finishing on a couple of those.
RyugaFan
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#1982 » by RyugaFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:12 am

Catchall wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:Can someone make the case against Cody Williams? I'm really high on him and want to get opposing perspectives.

Lack of explosion off the dribble and lack of vertical pop. Doesn't always get all the way to the hoop on his drives. He needs to use more craft and finish with touch, similar to guys like Ingram or Shai-Gilgeous. The other criticism is that he doesn't shoot off the dribble much at all. I'm not sure why that is. Let's say part of it is how effective he is as a driver and finishing with his floater.

However, he's still very young and he looks like he's growing into his body. He's a guy who could be physically solid after a couple years of development. He has enough of a frame to work with.

Depending where he goes, he could be the guy that everyone looks back on and wonder why he wasn't drafted higher.

You think he has a below average downhill explosiveness for a 6'8/6'9 guy?
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#1983 » by RyugaFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 am

zzaj wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=q0Zbv7QUrzRY6VJruFoDsg

That clip shows us that he should have had 2 more assists...if his teammates could make easy buckets.

Bro's such a good passer
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#1984 » by RyugaFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 am

Read on Twitter

This one's still etched in my mind
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,381

Post#1985 » by King Ken » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:03 am

RyugaFan wrote:
Read on Twitter

White Chocolate type vision
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,273

Post#1986 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 am

RyugaFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:Can someone make the case against Cody Williams? I'm really high on him and want to get opposing perspectives.

Lack of explosion off the dribble and lack of vertical pop. Doesn't always get all the way to the hoop on his drives. He needs to use more craft and finish with touch, similar to guys like Ingram or Shai-Gilgeous. The other criticism is that he doesn't shoot off the dribble much at all. I'm not sure why that is. Let's say part of it is how effective he is as a driver and finishing with his floater.

However, he's still very young and he looks like he's growing into his body. He's a guy who could be physically solid after a couple years of development. He has enough of a frame to work with.

Depending where he goes, he could be the guy that everyone looks back on and wonder why he wasn't drafted higher.

You think he has a below average downhill explosiveness for a 6'8/6'9 guy?

For a guard that teams will want to create for himself, yeah. It's something he can improve upon by getting stronger.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#1987 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 am

RyugaFan wrote:
Read on Twitter

No one in this draft is going to play drive-and-kick better than Topic. It starts with his ability to get to the rim and finish. Defenses are going to collapse.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tester551
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#1988 » by tester551 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:50 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

1. He's a ball handling PF and his ball handling is rudimentary. He dribbles with his back to the action and with his head down and his handle is super loose. This made his handle and offense non-functional once he got scouted.

2. He cannot shoot pull-up jumpshots at all

3. He is extremely physically weak

4. He is extremely slow and cannot closeout on shooters at all.

5. He has zero explosion and thus can't rebound or block shots.

He has basically nothing going for him other than paint scoring and you need to project massive athleticism gains despite him needing to also put on around 30-40 pounds of muscle. Even after that, you need to project huge skill growth for him to one day be Pascal Siakam.

In the games I watched, he can only drive with his right hand dribble. Struggled mightily trying to go left.

His defense was atrocious at times.

He reminds me of Cam Reddish. He ***looks*** like he should be a good player. He has moments of really good play, but floats way too much & just doesn't provide enough if a positive impact
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,214

Post#1989 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 am

i can't get a good read on Cody Williams or any of the other wings tbh (Risacher, Holland, Kyshawn)...all have wide range of outcomes. for Cody sometimes I want to put him in my T1 sometimes in T3, hoping for a nice combine to push me to T1
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,771

Post#1990 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:08 am

Now that Jamir Watkins is in the draft, I am guessing he doesn't get past the Knicks (at either 24 or 25). He must have liked what he heard from advisory committee.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,585

Post#1991 » by MemphisX » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Now that Jamir Watkins is in the draft, I am guessing he doesn't get past the Knicks (at either 24 or 25). He must have liked what he heard from advisory committee.

I like him anywhere outside the top 10.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,771

Post#1992 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 am

MemphisX wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Now that Jamir Watkins is in the draft, I am guessing he doesn't get past the Knicks (at either 24 or 25). He must have liked what he heard from advisory committee.

I like him anywhere outside the top 10.

Ooh, that's a big bump. I am of the opinion that he would be a great pick for Sacramento, but I wasn't sure if he can get that high. They should definitely work him out though. It seems like if you want two-way wings, you have to draft them, you can't always rely on free agency for that. If the Pelicans decide not to roll over the Lakers pick to 2025, I could also see them taking a flyer since they are losing Naji Marshall.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#1993 » by RyugaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

1. He's a ball handling PF and his ball handling is rudimentary. He dribbles with his back to the action and with his head down and his handle is super loose. This made his handle and offense non-functional once he got scouted.

2. He cannot shoot pull-up jumpshots at all

3. He is extremely physically weak

4. He is extremely slow and cannot closeout on shooters at all.

5. He has zero explosion and thus can't rebound or block shots.

He has basically nothing going for him other than paint scoring and you need to project massive athleticism gains despite him needing to also put on around 30-40 pounds of muscle. Even after that, you need to project huge skill growth for him to one day be Pascal Siakam.

His handle's just as "rudimentary" as any 6'8 guy not named Paul George or Luka. His ability to dribble pass defenders in traffic w/o turning the ball over is pretty high level for his size. He doesn't put defender on skates or generate these east/west type of seperation moves but his handle enables him to get to his spots, which is all that matters really.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 779

Post#1994 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm

He cannot get to his spots, he got stripped on like 30% of his drives to end the season, it was really bad.
RyugaFan
Ballboy

Post#1995 » by RyugaFan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:01 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:He cannot get to his spots, he got stripped on like 30% of his drives to end the season, it was really bad.

Very few of his turnovers were a result of his handle though. He got stripped on his gathers.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,335

Post#1996 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:08 pm

RyugaFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:He cannot get to his spots, he got stripped on like 30% of his drives to end the season, it was really bad.

None of his turnovers were a result of his handle though. He got stripped on his gathers.

I don't think Williams has a good handle at all. He also farts up that awful floater all the time because he can't get to the rim. I still like him as a prospect, but it is a clear weakness and the shooting is obviously worse than the percentages. Watch Brandon Miller's handle last year (a good handle for a guy of this size) then watch Williams (but he's a lot better than Rissacher in this respect and I expect improvement).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#1997 » by Catchall » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:

None of his turnovers were a result of his handle though. He got stripped on his gathers.

I don't think Williams has a good handle at all. He also farts up that awful floater all the time because he can't get to the rim. I still like him as a prospect, but it is a clear weakness and the shooting is obviously worse than the percentages. Watch Brandon Miller's handle last year (a good handle for a guy of this size) then watch Williams (but he's a lot better than Rissacher in this respect and I expect improvement).

His handle is a bit loose, but he has good feel with it and has control changing directions. He was an effective driver as a result. He does have issues getting all the way to the rim if he doesn't have space, and the main issue appears to be a lack of elevation on his finishes. This is something to watch in draft workouts. See if he's done good work on his body before the draft.

In terms of position, I think he'll be a 2/3 like a Brandon Ingram, but more likely a 3.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#1998 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
RyugaFan wrote:None of his turnovers were a result of his handle though. He got stripped on his gathers.

His handle is a bit loose, but he has good feel with it and has control changing directions. He was an effective driver as a result. He does have issues getting all the way to the rim if he doesn't have space, and the main issue appears to be a lack of elevation on his finishes. This is something to watch in draft workouts. See if he's done good work on his body before the draft.

In terms of position, I think he'll be a 2/3 like a Brandon Ingram, but more likely a 3.

I agree that he will develop and his fluidity (though not explosiveness) is pretty nice. My contention would just be that he isn't going to be routinely blowing by guys, so breaking down a set defense won't be what he does. But he isn't a ball stopper and he should be able to attack a rotating defense, especially as his shot (hopefully) improves.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#1999 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 pm

If Memphis is at 6 should they draft (assuming all are on the board) Clingan or Knecht? I'm just assuming that Sarr, Topic, Williams, Rissacher, and Castle are gone since that seems like a mix of guys who have a good chance of going earlier. If Rissacher slips, should they pick him over Knecht or Clingan?

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#2000 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:49 am

babyjax13 wrote:If Memphis is at 6 should they draft (assuming all are on the board) Clingan or Knecht? I'm just assuming that Sarr, Topic, Williams, Rissacher, and Castle are gone since that seems like a mix of guys who have a good chance of going earlier. If Rissacher slips, should they pick him over Knecht or Clingan?

If they draft Clingan, that allows JJJ to play at the 4, which is his more natural position. Memphis might be able to trade back and take Clingan a couple spots lower while also picking up an asset, but I could see the rationale for taking him.

Otherwise, Risacher, Holland or Buzelis probably make sense as BPA at #6. I think that's a few spots early for Knecht.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft