OT: How does one become a scout?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,642

OT: How does one become a scout? 

Post#1 » by azcatz11 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:36 am

I know Big J is a freelance scout but I’m wondering more so about becoming a scout for an NBA team.

How do people break into it? Do you have to be a former player? Obviously there’s no degree for scouting. Is it just becoming known on twitter and taking it from there?
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,495

Re: OT: How does one become a scout? 

Post#2 » by Big J » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:57 am

Hey man thanks for the shout. What I always tell guys who want to do it is that if you can imagine yourself doing anything else, go do that other thing. Myself & all of the dudes I know who are in this business would either be in a mental institution or in prison or something if we weren’t doing it. The industry is constantly changing, and we’re all adapting daily to the beast that it is. Every one of us will tell you that it is a constant struggle to stay on top, and if you ever hear someone tell you they know exactly what you need to do to figure it out, that person is full of ****.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#3 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:55 am

nepotism and connections gained by playing and being around the game.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,418

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:28 pm

Big J wrote:Hey man thanks for the shout. What I always tell guys who want to do it is that if you can imagine yourself doing anything else, go do that other thing. Myself & all of the dudes I know who are in this business would either be in a mental institution or in prison or something if we weren’t doing it. The industry is constantly changing, and we’re all adapting daily to the beast that it is. Every one of us will tell you that it is a constant struggle to stay on top, and if you ever hear someone tell you they know exactly what you need to do to figure it out, that person is full of ****.

Is this a copy-pasta?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,430

Post#5 » by ItsDanger » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:47 pm

Post content online with contact info and you can get noticed. Be brutally honest with your assessments. Don't be like most of these content creators who just follow the crowd. You can tell within 60 seconds whether they actually watched a lot of the player's games or not.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,703

Post#6 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:43 pm

Big J wrote:Hey man thanks for the shout. What I always tell guys who want to do it is that if you can imagine yourself doing anything else, go do that other thing. Myself & all of the dudes I know who are in this business would either be in a mental institution or in prison or something if we weren’t doing it. The industry is constantly changing, and we’re all adapting daily to the beast that it is. Every one of us will tell you that it is a constant struggle to stay on top, and if you ever hear someone tell you they know exactly what you need to do to figure it out, that person is full of ****.

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#7 » by reanimator » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:42 am

I can only speak for the grassroots level.

Go to tournaments and hs games, film, break down film, market yourself on social media, but most importantly talk with and build connections with the hs/college coaches, players, family members and other scouts at these games or even online.

I know guys who made the leap from grassroots to nba but thats after deeply entrenching themselves.

To skip all of this, go to college and specialize in some form of data analytics then go to the nba franchises job boards.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,599

Post#8 » by MemphisX » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:10 am

azcatz11 wrote:I know Big J is a freelance scout but I’m wondering more so about becoming a scout for an NBA team.

How do people break into it? Do you have to be a former player? Obviously there’s no degree for scouting. Is it just becoming known on twitter and taking it from there?

My advice is to get in front of NBA people as much as possible. Volunteer at camps, get an entry-level job for a team (ticket sales, game operations), etc. Start your own scouting service (website/youtube) as if you were providing the information to NBA teams. Get your arse off the internet and go to watch guys play. Start with 9th/10th graders (maybe younger) and start a database. Provide something others are not providing (like accurate measurements over years). Pump out content. There are a lot of people half-assing it right now. So to stand out you have to go harder. Think about what DraftExpress was before ESPN bought it.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to NBA Draft