Kyle Filipowski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Kyle Filipowski 

Post#61 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:57 pm

I'll just say this about the draft this year. You're going to have to put SOMEONE in the Lottery. And there aren't a hell of a lot good choices out there.

This is the worst class I've seen in years.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,261

Post#62 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:39 am

Flip is def lotto guy right now in this class, I do have some questions about his broader role in the NBA tho if that 3 ball doesnt start hitting at a higher clip
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,272

Post#63 » by azcatz11 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:53 am

EvanZ wrote:I'll just say this about the draft this year. You're going to have to put SOMEONE in the Lottery. And there aren't a hell of a lot good choices out there.

They say that every year tbh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#64 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:59 am

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I'll just say this about the draft this year. You're going to have to put SOMEONE in the Lottery. And there aren't a hell of a lot good choices out there.

no

this class really is pretty historically bad at this point. the best player in this class would probably go no better than 5th or 6th last year. it was also a historically weak HS recruiting class.

doesn't mean you can't find good players in the draft and there is always an off chance it improves dramatically between now and draft day but as of now, it's bad bad.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#65 » by EvanZ » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:06 am

It’s objectively bad. I am struggling to find 10 legit OAD prospects

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#66 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:10 am

azcatz11 wrote:

what I've noticed is, the people that post the most in here seem to know the least and are objectively bad at evaluating prospects. I've never seen so many bad takes when it comes to prospects and classes than in here. All you can do is laugh :lol:
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#67 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:20 am

Chuck Everett wrote:How can he start at center and not protect the rim in any capacity? What team would willing to waste a first rounder on that? You only do that if you think he can be like Sengun or Sabonis as an offensive hub? Do you really see that kind of talent in Filipowski?

Seems like the national reporters are (finally) becoming hip to the fact that Lively covered up a lot of his deficiencies on the defensive end.

He isn't an NBA athlete, even for a 7 footer. Yes he's tall and he's certainly skilled but he won't be able to defend the perimeter or be a rim protector. He can't even do it in college unless tiny guards go right at him. Duke is abysmal down low and it'll be their demise come tournament time.

I guess you can play him in a Markkenen role but even he is a much better athlete than Filipowski. He's a classic great college player that won't amount to much in the NBA unless he goes full bore with the PEDs. Should be a late first or early second pick if he even comes out. I think he'd be better off staying in college as long as he can, collect the NIL money and hope to carve out a Plumlee type career.

I once thought of him as a potential lottery pick but not any longer. Not with how much talent there is in this draft class. That doesn't mean some idiot G.M. won't reach badly for him mostly based on him coming from Duke though so wouldn't be shocked if he does go in the late lottery.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:28 am

EvanZ wrote:It’s objectively bad. I am struggling to find 10 legit OAD prospects

why are you bragging about being really really bad at this?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,272

Post#69 » by Hal14 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:25 pm

azcatz11 wrote:So your referencing a random twitter with random players trying to prove he will be a good 3 pt shooter based off this? I don’t see any connection or any relevance

1) The twitter user is irrelevant. Look at the content - not the user.

2) The players listed that are not Filipowski..all of them either went on to become a good shooter in the NBA, or they are kind of a similar type of player to what Filipowski could be in the NBA - that's why these players were chosen as a reference point

3) Point of this is to show that
a) Flip *could* develop into a very solid shooter in the NBA, despite a low 3FG% prior to being drafted
b) Even if he doesn't become a really good shooter..like even if he's just a decent shooter, he could still end up being a solid NBA player worth drafting in the 1st round
c) Guys like Vucevic, Olynyk, Marc Gasol, Grant Williams, etc. were not significantly better shooters than Flip, prior to being drafted. Neither was Jokic, Sabonis, Sengun, Lopez or Horford.
d) What some other posted about "unless Flip can shoot 40% from 3 in college, he won't be a good shooter in the NBA" is a load of crap..
e) Volume is typically seen as the best indicator of shooting projection. Flip's volume is better than lots of bigs who went on to be good shooters in the NBA

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#70 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:55 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:It’s objectively bad. I am struggling to find 10 legit OAD prospects

Why are you name calling people because they think this is a bad class? Are you OK? U have emotional connection here to this class or something?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,629

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:04 pm

A really great article written before Kyle's sophomore season.
Analytics Insight: Kyle Filipowski

Kyle Filipowski, the former five-star prospect out of Wilbraham, Massachusetts committed to play at Duke for the 2022-23 college basketball season. In his freshman year, he led Duke in points and rebounds, as well as an appearance in March Madness, where they lost to Tennessee in the second round.

The 7-footer averaged 15.1 points, 8.9 rebounds, and 1.6 assists per game in 2022-23 for Duke and was projected as a mid-late first-round pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, but surprised NBA decisionmakers by electing to return to Duke for his sophomore campaign.

Filipowski’s Offense Breakdown

Strengths
Spoiler:
Filipowski’s ability as an off ball cutter will translate to the NBA immediately. Ranking in the 80th percentile tile of all NCAA players in the 2022-23 Season. 47% of all his cut plays were a baseline cut to rim resulting in over 1.3 point per possession.

He has shown the ability to use his size and versatility to take defenders off the dribble. The right handed center prefers using his left to finish at the rim. Furthermore, 58% of his rim attacks result in a left hand finish. Transition is another area where Filipowski strives, able to go coast to coast with ease, despite not having the quickest first step, he is still faster than the majority of the bigs in college basketball.
Areas of Improvement
Spoiler:
Most of Filipowski's offensive game comes from him spotting up from the wing. He has all the tools to become a threat using his jabs and rip through moves, but ranks in the bottom 19th percentile of all players attacking from spot up. That being said, a multitude of reasons can cause this. One being that 92% of all his spot up attack comes from Duke running him at power forward pairing him with a center. This can cause the paint area to be clogged up when he is attacking the rim. Granted it is a small sample size (8%) when he is the center attacking from the wing his is incredibly efficient scoring about 1.3 Point per possession.

When Filipowski posts up against bigger and stronger players, he struggles to get to the rim, instead relying on heavily contested fade aways. This likely explains him only scoring only 0.87 points per possession. However, he has shown the ability to punish smaller players on switches scoring an efficient 1.2 point per possession in these situations. If he is able to use his quickness and footwork to get past bigger defenders in the post and his size and strength against smaller defenders. Watch this area of this game to take a huge leap in his sophomore season at Duke.

Just purely looking at the numbers you would think that Filipowski is a below average shooter. He shoots 28% from three on 3.4 attempts per game which leaves a lot of room for improvement, but he has solid mechanics for a big guy. There’s also some evidence that he can improve to be a solid shooter; Filipowski shot 76.5% from the line last year.
Filipowski’s Defense
Spoiler:

Filipowski is an incredibly efficient weak side defender. Always in the right spot off the ball despite only averaging 0.7 blocks per game. He uses his size well in disrupting shots, being in the right place at the right time.

He is a versatile defensive talent, preferring to play the drop coverage in pick and roll situations, worked well against guards, especially in the ACC, he only allowed 0.9 points per possession in conference play in drop coverages. However when he is asked to be switched on to a quicker guard he does struggle to slide his feet and keep up with them, allowing 1.2 points per possession.

Like his offensive Post-up game, Filipowski struggles against bigger and stronger bigs. Allowing opponents to score over 58.3% of the time in post up situations.
Conclusion

Filipowski is a versatile player on both sides of the ball, great footwork and skill set for a big man as well as a solid shooting mechanic. If he can put it all together, he is a very intriguing prospect for the upcoming 2024 NBA draft.
SI.com Fan Nation
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#72 » by EvanZ » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:26 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

I mean, son, if you think this is a good class... :lol: :lol: :lol:
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,926

Post#73 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:02 pm

Will he be a lottery pick?
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:39 am

clyde21 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

Why are you name calling people because they think this is a bad class? Are you OK? U have emotional connection here to this class or something?

says the dude who trolls constantly and is crying about being called out for having bad opinions. Please. This very post is you clearly being the one with the emotional attachment to this being a weak draft class but that's obviously lost on you :noway:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#75 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 6, 2024 3:59 pm

This is a big man prospect who has a strong offensive ceiling. Exceptional passer and playmaker as a Center.

I'd like to see a team like New Orleans take him in the teens, Atlanta take a flier or the Warriors.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,590

Post#76 » by MemphisX » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:44 pm

He is the exact kind of big man every fan base would hate to have as their starting center. His offense will have to be outlier good to make him worth it.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#77 » by EvanZ » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:49 pm

MemphisX wrote:He is the exact kind of big man every fan base would hate to have as their starting center. His offense will have to be outlier good to make him worth it.

Would have said the same thing about Jokic or Sengun

Colbinii
RealGM

Post#78 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:52 pm

EvanZ wrote:
MemphisX wrote:He is the exact kind of big man every fan base would hate to have as their starting center. His offense will have to be outlier good to make him worth it.

Would have said the same thing about Jokic or Sengun

Yup. He has good steal/block numbers, similar to Sengun. Great assist numbers, similar to Sengun. He is older and in a different league environment, but 20% AST% is a major indicator.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 7:51 pm

ehh, i think the Alpy comp is a stretch, Flip makes good reads and can get the ball where it needs to go but if you're drafting him to be your inside-out offensive hub you're gonna be disappointed unless there is outlier development in that department
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#80 » by Colbinii » Sat Jan 6, 2024 11:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:ehh, i think the Alpy comp is a stretch, Flip makes good reads and can get the ball where it needs to go but if you're drafting him to be your inside-out offensive hub you're gonna be disappointed unless there is outlier development in that department

Sure, I'm just saying there are signs that he could be that player. This isn't Kel'el Ware out there offensively.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022

Return to NBA Draft