Carlton "Bub" Carrington

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Carlton "Bub" Carrington 

Post#1 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:03 am

6'5" freshmen point guard for Pitt that looks like a one and done lottery talent.

;t=189s

He's averaging 18-6-7 and is shooting 47% from 3 with a 5:1 turnover to assist ratio

He's a great passer that rebounds and can shoot from anywhere. Every season 3-4 guys seemingly come out of nowhere and he appears to be one of them. I know I never heard of him. This is why you shouldn't rush to declare a draft weak based on star ratings. Clearly the scouts missed on him since he only got 4 stars. He is what everyone thinks Anthony Black could maybe become if he ever learns to shoot. I haven't been this impressed by a freshmen point guard since Lonzo Ball. They play and look very similar. Very high IQ and feel for the game.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,272

Re: Carlton "Bub" Carrington 

Post#2 » by Hal14 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Yeah he probably should've been rated higher coming out of HS. But he wasn't a complete unknown. His HS team last season played against some of the top teams in the country, including a game vs Link Academy which had Eliot Cadeau, Ja'Kobe Walter, etc. and he played on Team Melo on the AAU/EYBL circuit.

Anyways, he looks very good so far for Pitt but we need more than a 3 game sample size.

Certainly looks like he could be a lottery pick though, especially in a weaker class.

He plays smooth. Intrigued to see how he looks vs some tough teams..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,272

Post#3 » by Hal14 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 am

Carrington is probably my favorite college player to watch right now. In particular, I love seeing him set screens off ball, he is really, really physical. Don't love the stroke but think some of it is fixable. He is my yearly big guard that can rebound that I fall for.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#5 » by deepeeenn » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:54 pm

Interesting player. Has a little haliburton archetype to his game.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:40 pm

deepeeenn wrote:Interesting player. Has a little haliburton archetype to his game.

I don't see that at all, tbh. Really good passer but not the same level of court vision and can't shoot even close to the level Haliburton did in college

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#7 » by deepeeenn » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:25 am

babyjax13 wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:Interesting player. Has a little haliburton archetype to his game.

I don't see that at all, tbh. Really good passer but not the same level of court vision and can't shoot even close to the level Haliburton did in college

Maybe not at Hali’s level but that’s why I said “a little” and also “archetype”. It’s there though. The little I’ve watched of him so far, mostly from that video above, shows that he’s a tall PG that likes to pass but also has some passing skill and can shoot 3s similarly to how Hali does. I’d have to dive deeper to break that comp
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:38 am

deepeeenn wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Maybe not at Hali’s level but that’s why I said “a little” and also “archetype”. It’s there though. The little I’ve watched of him so far, mostly from that video above, shows that he’s a tall PG that likes to pass but also has some passing skill and can shoot 3s similarly to how Hali does. I’d have to dive deeper to break that comp

Right now he's a pretty poor shooter. His base is really narrow and the release is slow. The passing is very good, but I'm not sure it is outlier good like Hali's clearly was. I do think it is significantly above average in conjunction w/his height. He's not as big or athletic as Anthony Black, and I'm not sure he has quite as good of court vision but it is probably close, but in terms of recent prospects I'd say he is more similar to Black (though not a perfect comp, either).

JColl
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#9 » by Colbinii » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:06 am

babyjax13 wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don't see that at all, tbh. Really good passer but not the same level of court vision and can't shoot even close to the level Haliburton did in college

Right now he's a pretty poor shooter. His base is really narrow and the release is slow. The passing is very good, but I'm not sure it is outlier good like Hali's clearly was. I do think it is significantly above average in conjunction w/his height. He's not as big or athletic as Anthony Black, and I'm not sure he has quite as good of court vision but it is probably close, but in terms of recent prospects I'd say he is more similar to Black (though not a perfect comp, either).

Eh, not seeing Black for two main reasons.

Black was a defensive stalwart--3.4 STL%/1.8 BLK%.

Black was getting to the free throw line at a great clip with 57.8% FTR.

Bub is terrible at both with a 19.7% FTR and 1.0% STL/0.8% BLK rates.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:52 am

Colbinii wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:

Eh, not seeing Black for two main reasons.

Black was a defensive stalwart--3.4 STL%/1.8 BLK%.

Black was getting to the free throw line at a great clip with 57.8% FTR.

Bub is terrible at both with a 19.7% FTR and 1.0% STL/0.8% BLK rates.

Black was more disruptive defensively and was able to create separation going to the rim. I think it's a closer comp than Hali, but it's not perfect.

JColl
crows2
Senior
And1: 565

Post#11 » by crows2 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:59 am

babyjax13 wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don't see that at all, tbh. Really good passer but not the same level of court vision and can't shoot even close to the level Haliburton did in college

Conversely, I think Carrington is a far better creator/has better court vision than Black. I think Black is heavily overrated in that area. Black is the better athlete and defender though.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:00 pm

crows2 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:

Conversely, I think Carrington is a far better creator/has better court vision than Black. I think Black is heavily overrated in that area. Black is the better athlete and defender though.

Sure, but Black has a lot more transferable/translatable skills to the NBA and we are seeing him make an impact already in a 20 MPG role.

If a player is all gas, no brakes [All Offense, little defense], but isn't a great self-creator offensively, there is a lot more room for failure for a prospect.

I would have Black as a comfortably better prospect at this point, but it doesn't mean Carrington will fall flat.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:41 pm

Colbinii wrote:
crows2 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Right now he's a pretty poor shooter. His base is really narrow and the release is slow. The passing is very good, but I'm not sure it is outlier good like Hali's clearly was. I do think it is significantly above average in conjunction w/his height. He's not as big or athletic as Anthony Black, and I'm not sure he has quite as good of court vision but it is probably close, but in terms of recent prospects I'd say he is more similar to Black (though not a perfect comp, either).

Sure, but Black has a lot more transferable/translatable skills to the NBA and we are seeing him make an impact already in a 20 MPG role.

If a player is all gas, no brakes [All Offense, little defense], but isn't a great self-creator offensively, there is a lot more room for failure for a prospect.

I would have Black as a comfortably better prospect at this point, but it doesn't mean Carrington will fall flat.

"he's not as big or athletic"
'he doesn't have quite as good of court vision'
'though it is not a perfect comp, either'

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I'm just saying that if we compare him to big point guards he isn't a fast-paced player like Haliburton was even in college. He's more slow/deliberate and controls pace in the half court at times like Black did. He's also way more physical than Haliburton, much like Black, but he doesn't have the size or burst to get to the rim like Black did.

JColl
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#14 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 3, 2024 8:50 am

anyone catch the UNC game today? He scored a career high 20 pts but he was cold from downtown. I hate their coach. There's no structure out there whatsoever. No rhyme or reason for his substitutions or rotations. They have this dude who thinks he's Melo that just chucks up the worst shots imaginable. Hinson. He's their leading scorer and he's such a bad influence on a young guy like Carrington who for the first time, was emulating Hinson and became a shameless chucker this game as well. So there's some coaching up this kid needs. But announcers said he was one of, if not the, youngest freshmen. He's got great size and PG skills. It wasn't all doom and gloom. He had a couple of impressive pull up mid-range jumpers over contest and a pull-up three in transition. But mostly he was bricking shots trying to be something he's not. So a mixed-bag imo. He's solidifying himself as an end of lottery pick.

Return to NBA Draft