Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,339

Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona 

Post#1 » by ___Rand___ » Mon Dec 4, 2023 7:13 pm

With Arizona's ascension to #1 ranked team this week I want to bring your attention to a player who's going to be getting a lot of looks now that Zona is #1. Their lead guard, Kylan Boswell. A 6'2" 19 year old (Correction - he's 18! DOB April 2005) PG from Arizona. Currently rated for 2nd round but this will change by end of season if not before. I will post a link to his draft profile below. Just a few things I want to high light:

Kylan shows a LOT of maturity for a 18 year old point guard. He displays a high BBIQ. He knows how to set up his teammates well on the floor. Zona offense is fluid when he's on the floor. Not so much when he isn't (this is a Zona team with a lot of quality guards - Caleb Love, Jaden Bradley, Pelle Larson, etc). (I expect other teams to trap and get the ball out of his hands later on in the season or in the tournament). He is a pass-first PG, so he doesn't score a lot. He could and should take more shots (and this will change once he's in the NBA). He has a smooth stroke (54% from 3 this year, 44% career), and he knows how to get to the rim. He just doesn't take enough shots for himself (despite being the 2nd most in FGA on the team).

His build will come into question. He's listed 6'2" so I expect him to be 6'1" in NBA. He isn't a slight 6'1" but stocky, and can build more muscle as he matures. His build is similar to Brunson/Lowry.

I believe his stock will continue to rise through out the year (will rise in the coming weeks!) and come draft time he will be in the 1st round in this draft class in 2024.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39041775/arizona-rises-no-1-ap-top-25-men-college-basketball-poll

This draft profile is based on his FRESHMAN year so very much INCOMPLETE:
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-arizonas-kylan-boswell
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona 

Post#2 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 4, 2023 10:44 pm

He's actually 18 bro. So it's even better than you think. April '05 bday.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:11 am

Maybe a top 10 pick tbh, if the shooting keeps up...next Salim Stoudamire?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#4 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:46 am

EvanZ wrote:He's actually 18 bro. So it's even better than you think. April '05 bday.

Fcuk! that's unreal. He's already a sophomore. When I saw 19 on draft express I figured that's the right number. didn't look up his DOB. He plays SOOOO MATURE dude. Watch his games.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#5 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:49 am

EvanZ wrote:Maybe a top 10 pick tbh, if the shooting keeps up...next Salim Stoudamire?

Wow that's pretty high. I'm gonna be honest I haven't seen the other guys in action yet, and I hear this is a weak class so that is possible (but we've heard that before and look where Jokic was picked). I Just watch a lot of college ball starting in new year so I'll have a better sense then.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,263

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:28 am

___Rand___ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:He's actually 18 bro. So it's even better than you think. April '05 bday.

Fcuk! that's unreal. He's already a sophomore. When I saw 19 on draft express I figured that's the right number. didn't look up his DOB. He plays SOOOO MATURE dude. Watch his games.

he's super young for his class, to put that in perspective he's younger than Dillingham and Wagner who are freshmen and still won't turn 19 for months either

watched him a lot last year because he had solid indicators for a FS, honestly thought he was kinda too fat and too slow, haven't watched him yet this year to see if the physical attributes improved but the shooting numbers look unreal.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#7 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 2:10 am

clyde21 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

he's super young for his class, to put that in perspective he's younger than Dillingham and Wagner who are freshmen and still won't turn 19 for months either

watched him a lot last year because he had solid indicators for a FS, honestly thought he was kinda too fat and too slow, haven't watched him yet this year to see if the physical attributes improved but the shooting numbers look unreal.

I don't remember watching Arizona last year (could have) if I did I didn't notice him. He doesn't look slow to me this year, and he is looks solid defensively and not a liability from the games I've seen (vs Duke and Michigan State I think).

This year it's pretty clear what he brings to that team. It's not his shooting that stands out for me (and it is one of his best attributes). It's his awareness, his vision, his understanding of the flow of the game. He does it quietly without drawing attention to himself. He doesn't make eye-catching passes and his assist numbers don't indicate his impact on the offensive end. He just gets the team into right match-ups right sets, get his guys into their spots. When he does take his shots it's within the flow of the game, and not by stopping the ball movement and going iso for himself. He needs to be a bit more selfish IMO.

Games against ranked Wisconsin and Purdue as well as Alabama, then 11th ranked FAU. What a tough stretch so this will be a great test.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#8 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:37 am

Reminds me of Brunson. These are the types of talents that are going to be taken late first early second in this "weak class"
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:33 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:Reminds me of Brunson. These are the types of talents that are going to be taken late first early second in this "weak class"

Brunson and FVV yep. those are the two immediate comps that I made.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:34 pm

His attitude, IQ, strength and shooting ability are legit. These are the kinds of guards that end up playing 10 years in the league. I mean even if he's a Jameer Nelson outcome that's a Lottery pick in this draft probably.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,272

Post#11 » by azcatz11 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 3:35 pm

EvanZ wrote:His attitude, IQ, strength and shooting ability are legit. These are the kinds of guards that end up playing 10 years in the league.

He is a special, special player. Elite shooter. Perfect frame for the modern NBA. I think he has top 5 potential given his age
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,883

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:08 pm

Made Kriisa have to transfer. He wasn't ready last season, but to be 17 and a freshman last year and to have such marked improvement is pretty cool to see. Pac-12 is way down this year, however, Zona looks elite again. So he'll have a ton more tape in pressure situations.

And the comps for Brunson and FVV just mean someone will take him at least by pick 20 as to not make the same mistake of letting a stud point guard fall cause of measurables alone.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#13 » by azcatz11 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:50 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Made Kriisa have to transfer. He wasn't ready last season, but to be 17 and a freshman last year and to have such marked improvement is pretty cool to see. Pac-12 is way down this year, however, Zona looks elite again. So he'll have a ton more tape in pressure situations.

And the comps for Brunson and FVV just mean someone will take him at least by pick 20 as to not make the same mistake of letting a stud point guard fall cause of measurables alone.

We are such a better team without Kriisa. I love that dude but he shot us out of so many games last year....
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#14 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:19 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:And the comps for Brunson and FVV just mean someone will take him at least by pick 20 as to not make the same mistake of letting a stud point guard fall cause of measurables alone.

He's way bigger than FVV that I can assure you. Brunson/Lowry are where he's at physically, and ability wise. FVV isn't 6'1". He's like 5'11". FVV has trouble getting to the rim and finishing. I don't think Boswell will. Yes I think Boswell's going to be lower half of 1st is where I'm thinking, and not the 2nd round grade people have him for now.

Oh they got 4 tough games coming up this month! Doesn't matter if they win or lose here. Helps the team get ready for tourny.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#15 » by azcatz11 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:23 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:And the comps for Brunson and FVV just mean someone will take him at least by pick 20 as to not make the same mistake of letting a stud point guard fall cause of measurables alone.

He's way bigger than FVV that I can assure you. Brunson/Lowry are where he's at physically, and ability wise. FVV isn't 6'1". He's like 5'11". FVV has trouble getting to the rim and finishing. I don't think Boswell will. Yes I think Boswell's going to be lower half of 1st is where I'm thinking, and not the 2nd round grade people have him for now.

Oh they got 4 tough games coming up this month! Doesn't matter if they win or lose here. Helps the team get ready for tourny.

Are you a closet Arizona fan by chance? :D
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#16 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Dec 5, 2023 11:39 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

lol maybe. I like Boswell after seeing him play against Duke. Chances are good for tourny because of that front court and guard combination.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#17 » by azcatz11 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 12:05 am

___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

lol maybe. I like Boswell after seeing him play against Duke. Chances are good for tourny because of that front court and guard combination.

My favorite player on the roster is Motiejus Krivas - I think whoever takes him will get an absolute steal. Softest hands from a big I have seen since Jokic
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#18 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Dec 6, 2023 4:44 am

azcatz11 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

My favorite player on the roster is Motiejus Krivas - I think whoever takes him will get an absolute steal. Softest hands from a big I have seen since Jokic

I can't say I've noted that bout Krivas but will look for it. He's one of the 2 bigs you have. It's the other big Ballo whose presence and physicality will allow Zona a real chance in the tournament. Physical front court along with decent 2 way guard play, 3 point shooting and perimeter defense is what's winning in NCAAs lately. Zona has all four things.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#19 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:24 am

Boswell didn't shine vs. #3 Purdue in a match up of #1 vs #3. Instead it was Purdue's guards who shined in that game, feasting on picks set by Edey and their bigs while Boswell looked a bit lost defensively and offensively. His poorest performance thus far.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,263

Post#20 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:44 am

he was bound to slow down from 3, 6-22 the last four games, down to (still great) 47% from 3 on the season

Return to NBA Draft