Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,416

Re: Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona 

Post#41 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:40 am

clyde21 wrote:he has great BBIQ and can shoot it but I am just not a huge fan of the physical profile and the fact that he can't even get to the line at least once a game is troubling

His size is what it is. That's a given. He's not getting to the line because he's not aggressive enough, and the coach is not working to fill out his tool bag. But he's 18. He will have plenty of time to learn and grow. What he's showing at 18 is already pretty nice.

Let's get expectations right. He's not an all-star player. He doesn't have all the tool in the bag yet. He isn't a score-first PG that you're thinking of. But he's an NBA player. He'll be a nice rotation piece. Thus in this draft a pick in the 20s is pretty nice for that.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,270

Post#42 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:56 am

___Rand___ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:he has great BBIQ and can shoot it but I am just not a huge fan of the physical profile and the fact that he can't even get to the line at least once a game is troubling

His size is what it is. That's a given. He's not getting to the line because he's not aggressive enough, and the coach is not working to fill out his tool bag. But he's 18. He will have plenty of time to learn and grow. What he's showing at 18 is already pretty nice.

Let's get expectations right. He's not an all-star player. He doesn't have all the tool in the bag yet. He isn't a score-first PG that you're thinking of. But he's an NBA player. He'll be a nice rotation piece. Thus in this draft a pick in the 20s is pretty nice for that.

1.4 FT attempts per 100 possessions is absolutely brutal for a ball handler, and don't know if the size is the issue, Dilly is 20 lbs lighter and gets to the line 6.4 times per 100poss, and he's not exactly James Harden.

he has 10 attempts in 13 games...which means his 90% from the line is a completely irrelevant metric until he can prove it at much higher volumes.

and im not saying he's not an NBA player, not even saying he's not a first rounder (I think he is at this point), but there are some clear red flags here imo that make me not want to touch him in the lotto.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#43 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Jan 3, 2024 3:05 am

clyde21 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

1.4 FT attempts per 100 possessions is absolutely brutal for a ball handler, and don't know if the size is the issue, Dilly is 20 lbs lighter and gets to the line 6.4 times per 100poss, and he's not exactly James Harden.

he has 10 attempts in 13 games...which means his 90% from the line is a completely irrelevant metric until he can prove it at much higher volumes.

and im not saying he's not an NBA player, not even saying he's not a first rounder (I think he is at this point), but there are some clear red flags here imo that make me not want to touch him in the lotto.

It's not a red flag IMO. Watch him play and you'll see why. That team has a ton of guards who are good at getting into the paint and finishing - Caleb Love, Bradley who are often on the floor at the same time with him so he likely is asked to just distribute shoot the 3 and do what's needed with the flow of the game. They also have 2 huge guys in the paint. There's no need to drive and crash the paint that's already crowded.

He's not a lottery player. He's too small for the position to merit that. Pick him from 20 on down and he's a nice rotation piece.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,383

Post#44 » by azcatz11 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 11:22 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

It's not a red flag IMO. Watch him play and you'll see why. That team has a ton of guards who are good at getting into the paint and finishing - Caleb Love, Bradley who are often on the floor at the same time with him so he likely is asked to just distribute shoot the 3 and do what's needed with the flow of the game. They also have 2 huge guys in the paint. There's no need to drive and crash the paint that's already crowded.

He's not a lottery player. He's too small for the position to merit that. Pick him from 20 on down and he's a nice rotation piece.

Agreed - he will be a good backup in the league
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#45 » by EvanZ » Wed Jan 3, 2024 11:41 pm

I'm not fathoming how people think he's "too small for the position". He's listed at 6'2" 195 as an 18-year old. We'll obviously get measurements at the Combine, but this is clearly not "too small for the position" of NBA point guard lol.

I mean I understand if you think he's not athletic enough or not something else enough. But not big enough? Nah, that doesn't compute. This is not a guy who's 5'10" 170.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#46 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Jan 3, 2024 11:46 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Agreed - he will be a good backup in the league

That's his floor IMO. What he becomes next is up to him. Just like with Brunson.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#47 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Jan 3, 2024 11:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:I'm not fathoming how people think he's "too small for the position". He's listed at 6'2" 195 as an 18-year old. We'll obviously get measurements at the Combine, but this is clearly not "too small for the position" of NBA point guard lol.

I mean I understand if you think he's not athletic enough or not something else enough. But not big enough? Nah, that doesn't compute. This is not a guy who's 5'10" 170.

College always adds an inch or two. He'll be 6'1" or so when measured by NBA. If he's a true 6'2" that's great. NBA prefers taller point guards these days. Shai or Tyrese are prototypes.
EvanZ
RealGM

Kylan Boswell, PG, Arizona 

Post#48 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 4, 2024 12:17 am

The NBA prefers taller players. I’m shocked. And yet we still have Steph, Ja, Garland, Brunson, FVV, etc Are they all backup point guards because they’re “too small”?

You mentioned Tyrese. I assume you meant Haliburton but there’s also Maxey.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#49 » by azcatz11 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 12:31 am

EvanZ wrote:The NBA prefers taller players. I’m shocked. And yet we still have Steph, Ja, Garland, Brunson, FVV, etc Are they all backup point guards because they’re “too small”?

Have you even seen him play? He's an old school PG. He's not that athletic and his shooting has been very streaky. I don't like the Brunson comp. Brunson is much more dynamic with the ball. He's also around 6'0 tall.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#50 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 4, 2024 12:49 am

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:The NBA prefers taller players. I’m shocked. And yet we still have Steph, Ja, Garland, Brunson, FVV, etc Are they all backup point guards because they’re “too small”?

Have you even seen him play? He's an old school PG. He's not that athletic and his shooting has been very streaky. I don't like the Brunson comp. Brunson is much more dynamic with the ball. He's also around 6'0 tall.

So now you’re saying it’s not about his size? Fine we can have that conversation.

___Rand___
RealGM

Post#51 » by ___Rand___ » Thu Jan 4, 2024 1:46 am

azcatz11 wrote:

Brunson wasn't as dynamic until the last few years if you recall. I also think Kylan can be a bit more dynamic if not for his running mates. The driving is being left to Caleb Love and Bradley who are much better finishers at this point. I think Lowry is a good comp for Brunson.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#52 » by ___Rand___ » Thu Jan 4, 2024 1:46 am

I meant Shai and Hali yes.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#53 » by EvanZ » Fri Jan 5, 2024 5:35 am

Had some incredible passes against Colorado.

___Rand___
RealGM

Post#54 » by ___Rand___ » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:Had some incredible passes against Colorado.

Here's one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/18yymzg/arizonas_kylan_boswell_with_an_absolutely_filthy/
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#55 » by EvanZ » Fri Jan 5, 2024 8:04 pm

Yeah that was the flashiest one for sure
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#56 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 3:52 am

I think after watching him this season - the hype train is done with him. He is just not explosive. He can't get by anyone that's why he never really drives.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,042

Post#57 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:17 pm

azcatz11 wrote:I think after watching him this season - the hype train is done with him. He is just not explosive. He can't get by anyone that's why he never really drives.

I think Boswell is a very very good college guard. Can become an elite one if he sticks around for 4 years.

Honestly I think his best chance at making the pros is to stick around college and just become super solid everywhere before he tries to make the jump. Because if he goes too early and ends up being a 2nd round pick, good chance he just gets eaten up and forgotten about. I think he needs to get his game to the point where he can help contribute pretty early on.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#58 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:22 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I think after watching him this season - the hype train is done with him. He is just not explosive. He can't get by anyone that's why he never really drives.

I think Boswell is a very very good college guard. Can become an elite one if he sticks around for 4 years.

Honestly I think his best chance at making the pros is to stick around college and just become super solid everywhere before he tries to make the jump. Because if he goes too early and ends up being a 2nd round pick, good chance he just gets eaten up and forgotten about. I think he needs to get his game to the point where he can help contribute pretty early on.

Yes he’s clearly a 4 year college guy to me. He just doesn’t have nba athleticism and he has no first step. He also can’t really shoot off the bounce.

Our backup Bradley is way more explosive but he’s inconsistent.

Willing to give Boz the benefit of the doubt since he’s still 18 but if you look at his physical profile it does appear he’s fully mature and peaked.

Jmo. I think at best we’re looking at a backup PG. this will be my last post about him
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,042

Post#59 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:45 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Yes he’s clearly a 4 year college guy to me. He just doesn’t have nba athleticism and he has no first step. He also can’t really shoot off the bounce.

Our backup Bradley is way more explosive but he’s inconsistent.

Willing to give Boz the benefit of the doubt since he’s still 18 but if you look at his physical profile it does appear he’s fully mature and peaked.

Jmo. I think at best we’re looking at a backup PG. this will be my last post about him

Ya thats why to me he just looks like a college player. Small guard who isnt an athlete and not a great floor general either.

Can he make the pros? Sure Im pretty sure if you asked most people if FVV was going to be a future pro during his Soph year most would say no (for similar reasons).

But ya he isnt the kind of player you draft right now. His boom/bust ratio just isnt worth the draft capital and time to develop him. He needs to develop in college to have a chance.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#60 » by ___Rand___ » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:26 pm

He never had the athleticism in the first place. His vision is very good and his BBIQ is high for an 18 year old. That's where the promise is - his brain. He can shoot the 3, he plays solid defense. If this draft is as bad as people say, who's to say he isn't going to go late in 1st round?

Return to NBA Draft