Stephon Castle

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Re: Stephon Castle 

Post#121 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:32 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:There's nothing suggesting Castle can be better than Derrick White and White is his absolute best case scenario.

yeah, that's just wrong. if i had to put money on it, castle will never be as good as white, but to say white is his best case makes no sense. Castle is bigger and is a more explosive run/jump athlete than white. his best case is absolutely better than white - but most top prospects don't hit their best case, so yeah, i'd say if he becomes as impactful as white, that's a major hit for whoever drafts him.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 874

Post#122 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:33 pm

I just don't see anything interesting or special at all about his tools other than his height. It's not like he got any steals or blocks or ever got to the basket.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#123 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:32 pm

MemphisX wrote:Reminds me of Josh Hart

Hart is at least a league-average shooter, but role-wise he could be similar.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,823

Post#124 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:48 pm

Has anyone noticed the system he's actually in?

UConn plays team ball and everyone is involved. I think in the NBA he's going to have a lot more freedom to create his own offense. I see a guy who has all the skills to be successful. His weakness right now is shooting. Put him in a gym and let him work on his shot and you have a potential all-star. I can see a poor man's Jimmy Butler in his overall game.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#125 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:54 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Has anyone noticed the system he's actually in?

UConn plays team ball and everyone is involved. I think in the NBA he's going to have a lot more freedom to create his own offense. I see a guy who has all the skills to be successful. His weakness right now is shooting. Put him in a gym and let him work on his shot and you have a potential all-star. I can see a poor man's Jimmy Butler in his overall game.

Jimmy has a top 5 BBIQ of all time for a wing and and is the best flopper of all time.

What does Castle do that is special or interesting at all.

His appeal is "tall PG that won't be exploited in the playoffs if he can bomb threes"

And that's the totality of the appeal.

Castle received no defensive attention this year and was mostly unguarded and scored 11 PPG on average efficiency.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,595

Post#126 » by MemphisX » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:04 pm

Catchall wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Reminds me of Josh Hart

Hart is at least a league-average shooter, but role-wise he could be similar.

Hart was a poor shooter as a college freshman.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#127 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:17 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Jimmy has a top 5 BBIQ of all time for a wing and and is the best flopper of all time.

His appeal is "tall PG that won't be exploited in the playoffs if he can bomb threes"

Castle received no defensive attention this year and was mostly unguarded and scored 11 PPG on average efficiency.

Can you tell me who on UConn scores a lot of points?

They have like 5 guys in double figures. The point is that system isn't built for isolation ball. Everyone is involved in that offense. You think Klingan is a lottery pick because of his offense?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#128 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:19 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

They have like 5 guys in double figures. The point is that system isn't built for isolation ball. Everyone is involved in that offense. You think Klingan is a lottery pick because of his offense?

If you're going to score 11 PPG while not being defended, you should probably be at least efficient at it.

What iso talent has Castle shown at any point this year.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#129 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:28 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

If you're going to score 11 PPG while not being defended, you should probably be at least efficient at it.

What iso talent has Castle shown at any point this year.

Once again UConn doesn't run an iso system!

Ball movement and cuts. Castle is a projected lottery pick based on his skill set. He's pretty much an all around player with a questionable jumpshot. He came out of highschool as a scorer. He's asked to fit in a system not fit out. I see a guy who can adjust his role for the better good of the team.

You act like this kid is taking 20 shots a night. He's getting less than 8 shots a game and he's 47% fg percent.

You not making any bit of sense here my man. Expecting him to be some elite scorer with just 8 shots attempts is WILD! :o
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:37 pm

Except I'm saying:

"Wow, considering that Castle barely shot the ball and wasn't defended at all this year, you would expect him to be a lot more efficient than he was"

55% TS% as a 5th option is pretty bad.

Castle's statistical profile other than rebounds and turnovers is just really bad.

Like, he shot 55% from inside the arc despite receiving no defensive attention... That's not what a future star scorer does.

Castle flashed zero seconds of stardom on either end of the court last year and people are just gaslighting themselves into thinking he could be a star because they like that he idolizes Jimmy Butler.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,742

Post#131 » by Ell Curry » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:53 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:And he has no athletic upside at all because his frame is complete.

I'm not sure that's how it works. He's still 19, and how many guys don't get stronger from 19 to 25? If he's a bigger version of a Derrick White/Josh Hart kinda guy who can guard 1-4, that's pretty damn useful, just as a #3 or #4 guy.
Where's the D?
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#132 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:55 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:And he has no athletic upside at all because his frame is complete.

I'm not sure that's how it works. He's still 19, and how many guys don't get stronger from 19 to 25? If he's a bigger version of a Derrick White/Josh Hart kinda guy who can guard 1-4, that's pretty damn useful, just as a #3 or #4 guy.

I mean, most guys would get stronger, but he looks like he's carrying about the weight he should and he's muscular so there's not much upside here athletically. It's not like Cody Williams where he's clearly 20-30 pounds underweight.
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#133 » by Ell Curry » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:25 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

I mean, most guys would get stronger, but he looks like he's carrying about the weight he should and he's muscular so there's not much upside here athletically. It's not like Cody Williams where he's clearly 20-30 pounds underweight.

For sure he's not a guy you can hope will put on a ton of weight (though you never know if a guy is just gonna stay permanently skinny, does seem to happen a fair bit), but he could just end up being a bit of a quiet freak like Jrue.
Where's the D?
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#134 » by MemphisX » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:25 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Except I'm saying:

"Wow, considering that Castle barely shot the ball and wasn't defended at all this year, you would expect him to be a lot more efficient than he was"

Castle's statistical profile other than rebounds and turnovers is just really bad.

Like, he shot 55% from inside the arc despite receiving no defensive attention... That's not what a future star scorer does.

Castle flashed zero seconds of stardom on either end of the court last year and people are just gaslighting themselves into thinking he could be a star because they like that he idolizes Jimmy Butler.

The problem is you are not understanding that Castle went from being a ball dominant player at lower levels, to fitting into a role on a team that was coming off a title and is poised to win another title. Nobody is expecting Castle to be some ball dominant lead guard in the NBA. However, he has already shown that he can put away his ego and sacrifice for a team. You don't value that. Except when players go off script, then people want to hold it against them.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#135 » by MemphisX » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:27 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

You can't seriously be arguing that a 19-year-old is physically developed?
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#136 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:28 am

MemphisX wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

Dude has some wild takes in this thread.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#137 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:09 am

MemphisX wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Except I'm saying:

The problem is you are not understanding that Castle went from being a ball dominant player at lower levels, to fitting into a role on a team that was coming off a title and is poised to win another title. Nobody is expecting Castle to be some ball dominant lead guard in the NBA. However, he has already shown that he can put away his ego and sacrifice for a team. You don't value that. Except when players go off script, then people want to hold it against them.

Except I'm saying Castle had tons of opportunities to create efficient shots if he was good at it because he wasn't being defended at all most of the time. Defenses purposefully ignored Castle to focus on everyone else.

And Castle still wasn't very efficient despite how incredibly favorable this situation was and how low his usage was.
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#138 » by Ell Curry » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:15 am

MemphisX wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

It sounds off to me, but I gotta be honest I feel like I have no idea how much the average 19 year old NBA guys develop physically and if it changes more with positions/size or types or if you can predict Naz Reid can lose weight but Lofton Jr can't (I know Reid lost less but you get my point) or what the deal is with Desmond Bane not being too slow despite most guys like him being too slow.

I'm not a gym person, always hated working out and just played a ton of sports, so maybe I just have a bad sense of the human body, but has anyone written a decent article/primer on typical player development and the draft?
Where's the D?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,386

Post#139 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:17 am

Comes down to shooting for him. Is he Okoro or something better?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,465

Post#140 » by azcatz11 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:19 am

ItsDanger wrote:Comes down to shooting for him. Is he Okoro or something better?

You don't like the Jimmy Butler comp? Especially down low when he does what he wants and draw fouls?

Return to NBA Draft