Carlton "Bub" Carrington War Wagon

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,376

Carlton "Bub" Carrington War Wagon 

Post#1 » by CptCrunch » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:10 pm

Creating a thread to start a bandwagon for Bud. I have a feeling that he will get into top 10, potentially top 5 by end of the process.

Season highlights

Height w/ shoes: 6'5"
Weight: 190 lbs
Age at draft: 18.9 years old

Rival: #94
247: #91
ESPN: not top 100

Good write up
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/carlton-carrington-is-demanding-your
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,244

Re: Carlton "Bub" Carrington War Wagon 

Post#2 » by JMAC3 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:13 pm

I actually think he would have been better off coming back to school and maybe transferring to a better school.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:00 pm

I really like him, too. Glad he's staying in.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,134

Post#4 » by The Moose » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:13 pm

He intrigues me, but I'm not sure where I would feel comfortable drafting him at this stage.

On the plus side he's very young and had some big flashes as an on ball creator. His ast/to was good and a huge amount of his scoring is unassisted. He's able to generate a huge volume of self created 3pt attempts.

On the other hand, he's jumpshot heavy on offense but only shot 32% from 3 for the season, had abysmal steal, oreb, dunk rates and had very low rim numbers in the half court, some of the lowest for any guard in the class.

Additionally in 11 games against top 50 schools: <1 BPM and 46.5% TS
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,450

Post#5 » by BigGargamel » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:19 am

I'm not a fan. I think he could be a late first round pick, but mainly because this class is horrible for point guards and someone might reach for one.

0.6 SPG on 32 MPG. Not good.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#6 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:42 am

BigGargamel wrote:I'm not a fan. I think he could be a late first round pick, but mainly because this class is horrible for point guards and someone might reach for one.

0.6 SPG on 32 MPG. Not good.

:lol: quick, name a better PG class than 2024

Castle
Collier
Carrington
Topic
Sheppard
Carter
McCain
George
Dillingham
Mitchell, Ajay
Nunez
Boswell
Shead
Sears

how about 2023?

Black
Wallace
Bufkin
Hood-Schiffino

okay..err....maybe not

how about 2022?

Ivey
Nembhard
Chandler
Davison

wait...why is 2024 weak again?

certainly 2021 has to be stellar to pull this 2024 PG class is weak narrative out of thin air right?

Cade
Suggs
Giddey
Mitchell
Mann
Hyland
Dosunmo
Banton
Cooper

that's odd, it's certainly better than 2022 and 2023 but great? It now appears like you just completely made up a narrative based on absolutely nothing. It's a shame this sort of pervasive retelling of history to paint the 2024 class as bad is so rampant on here. What do you people gain by this?
BigGargamel
Veteran

Post#7 » by BigGargamel » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:18 am

Yawn, I'm not playing that game with you. Stick to the other posters. I just think this draft is a lot deeper with wings than point guards, especially late in the first round. In my fan only opinion. Sorry we aren't all self proclaimed experts like you. Grow up. We are all fans, but you act like you're so much more. You're a fan that doesn't really know anything either. :lol: I'm not doing this. Relax.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,617

Post#8 » by 165bows » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:47 am

BigGargamel wrote:Yawn, I'm not playing that game with you. Stick to the other posters. I just think this draft is a lot deeper with wings than point guards, especially late in the first round. In my fan only opinion. Sorry we aren't all self proclaimed experts like you. Grow up. We are all fans, but you act like you're so much more. You're a fan that doesn't really know anything either. :lol: I'm not doing this. Relax.

Yeah tempted to give props for the rare Davison shout out but I’m not getting sucked into some lame drama fest either lol.
BigGargamel
Veteran

Post#9 » by BigGargamel » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:04 am

Didn't mean to get flustered LOL. Let me try again. What I meant is I don't see many point guards worth taking after the lottery, when a team could take someone like Carrington.

How the interaction should have went.

Guy: "You think this is a weak point guard class? I see a lot of lottery worthy guys."

Me: "Oh yeah, me too. I meant later in the first round after the top guys are off the board."

How an adult discussion on a message board should take place.

Why would I, or anyone, have an agenda? ESPN and professional types have agendas. We are fans. Some people think they are more than just fans, but we are all fans. We don't know anything really. I run a website/YouTube channel and I still consider myself a fan that doesn't know a whole lot. One fan thinks this is a good draft class. I happen to think it's a bad one. Who cares? Why take things to the extreme? I've stayed out of the whole thing because I know how message boards go, but don't quote me and try to drag me into it. I have no interest.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,877

Post#10 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:42 am

BigGargamel wrote:Didn't mean to get flustered LOL. Let me try again. What I meant is I don't see many point guards worth taking after the lottery, when a team could take someone like Carrington.

Guy: "You think this is a weak point guard class? I see a lot of lottery worthy guys."

Me: "Oh yeah, me too. I meant later in the first round after the top guys are off the board."

Why would I, or anyone, have an agenda? ESPN and professional types have agendas. We are fans. Some people think they are more than just fans, but we are all fans. We don't know anything really. I run a website/YouTube channel and I still consider myself a fan that doesn't know a whole lot. One fan thinks this is a good draft class. I happen to think it's a bad one. Who cares? Why take things to the extreme? I've stayed out of the whole thing because I know how message boards go, but don't quote me and try to drag me into it. I have no interest.

It's easy to say you don't have an agenda (and I'm not saying you do). But why just cite what ESPN or any draft guru is suggesting? They aren't affiliated with any of the organizations nor their draft processes. These credentialed guys are no better at this than any common fan and in fact, they are probably worse because they almost assuredly accept kickbacks from agents to hype prospects.

After the Bronny fiasco (top 10 pick my ass), how could you trust any of these draft gurus? None of them are worth listening to/reading. Just watch a player and come to your own conclusion on whether or not you think they can hoop. About two months ago, a lot of people on this site (and elsewhere) were ready to write obits on Jonathan Kuminga and Jalen Green.

The only thing those draft dudes can do for you, is put players on your radar that you may have never heard of (especially the international class that doesn't play NCAA) and then you can check them out yourself.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:06 am

BigGargamel wrote:Yawn, I'm not playing that game with you. Stick to the other posters. I just think this draft is a lot deeper with wings than point guards, especially late in the first round. In my fan only opinion. Sorry we aren't all self proclaimed experts like you. Grow up. We are all fans, but you act like you're so much more. You're a fan that doesn't really know anything either. :lol: I'm not doing this. Relax.

translation: I want to make outlandish claims with no basis in reality and don't want any backlash for it. When I do receive backlash I want to claim moral superiority and that I'm above needing to substantiate my claims.

talk about yawn lmao. Now, if you had just said "I find this class to be deeper in wings than point guards" than cool. It's debatable but not outlandish and while it wouldn't elicit backlash it would foster a decent conversation. But you didn't do that did you? Had to be hyperbolic all so you could put this class down.

Let's see if I agree with you about wings vs. guards.

Risacher
Salaun
Walter
Williams
Watkins
Knecht
Buzelis
Holland
Klintman
Ajinca
da Silva
Edwards
Mitchell
Grant-Foster
Larsson
Scheierman
Ingram
Furphy
Dunn
Mgbako
Sallis

I think I agree with you. It's a pretty deep wing class. I'd say it's better than the guard class
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:17 am

BigGargamel wrote:Didn't mean to get flustered LOL. Let me try again. What I meant is I don't see many point guards worth taking after the lottery, when a team could take someone like Carrington.

so, it's my fault you don't know how to frame your opinion correctly without hyperbole? Why take things so extreme? You mean, like "this class is horrible for point guards" and melting down when someone calls you on it? I'm not even prepared to say it's necessarily a good draft class yet. Where have you been? Nice spin making it seem like it's me against the world. I'm just not buying into the "weakest class ever" nonsense. It's a huge distinction.

How it "should have went" was:

You: I'm not crazy about this point guard class. I'm not seeing much outside the lottery to get excited about.

Me: Cool. I disagree. Here's a list of all the point guards I like and why. Who do you have going in the lottery btw? Why don't you consider player A or player B, that you have after the lottery, any good?

THIS is how message boards are supposed to go. Sorry to drag you into trying to keep takes sane and devoid of hypebolic nonsense. The horror
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,313

Post#13 » by SNPA » Sat May 11, 2024 5:41 am

CptCrunch wrote:Creating a thread to start a bandwagon for Bud. I have a feeling that he will get into top 10, potentially top 5 by end of the process.

Season highlights

Height w/ shoes: 6'5"
Weight: 190 lbs
Age at draft: 18.9 years old

Rival: #94
247: #91
ESPN: not top 100

Good write up
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/carlton-carrington-is-demanding-your

The skill is there, he has got the size, but he has to work to get shots. How good of an athlete is this guy? How’s his defense?

He’s intriguing for sure. I don’t worry about the percentages, his shot looks good. He is a kid, it will all improve.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,305

Post#14 » by Catchall » Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 am

Looks like a combo with some size who plays off his shooting, think Coby White. He's had a nice Combine.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,088

Post#15 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:07 pm

My early comparison for Bub Carrington is an advanced version of Immanuel Quickley. He has very similar measurables and limitations, and as prospects they work similar parts of the court.

The biggest things for Bub are (1) more consistently extend his shotmaking to 3-point range; and (2) gain enough strength and power to improve paint penetration and rim finishing (this should also help him as a defender).

While stylistically similar in play style and athletic traits, I'm seeing signs that Bub is just a notch above Quickley as a prospect. He's a little longer--nearly 6'4 vs 6'2 (same wingspan), may be gaining weight a bit easier (both entered college around 175; Bub just weighed 195 at the combine; Quickley weighed 186 at the combine), and progressing at a younger age than Quickley.

As for his shooting, Bub has obviously shown flashes despite working with a pretty tough shot diet. He was on fire from 3 early in the season and tapered off. Still, 50% shooting on 2-point jumpshots is pretty sweet and indicative of his pull up game overall. If he can become more reliable as a spot up shooter, I think he can be a lethal shooter in the league.

Bub will play his entire rookie season as a 19 year old, whereas Quickley was a 21 year old for his rookie season (played 2 years in college).

Quickley had similarly deficient slashing numbers for his 2 years in college. His rim finishing has gotten better in the NBA (above 65% after his rookie season). If Bub can improve this part of his game at a similar rate, I think he's well positioned to be a Quickley+ level guard in the NBA.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 15, 2024 5:12 am

I've led this bandwagon and still believe in him. SGA lite. Remarkably similar prospects. SGA inexplicably fell and went #11 and that's about where I expect Carrington to go, maybe a little lower. It's funny how the draft "experts" were so late to join this bandwagon. I don't think I saw him in first rounds of mocks until a few weeks ago. Better late than never I suppose. But it is odd how despite this obvious lottery talent joining the talent pool of this class they deemed weak 2 years ago, they still aren't budging about the overall quality of this class.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,985

Post#17 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:35 am

I think his ceiling would be closer to Maxey than SGA?
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by CptCrunch » Wed May 15, 2024 12:38 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:I think his ceiling would be closer to Maxey than SGA?

Sure you shouldn't project someone like a NBA MVP (candidate).

Bleeper for the front office workers of NBA, you shouldn't let a P5, let alone ACC starting point guard slip out of the lotto. Bub played the whole year being aged 18. These days with covid seniors, transfer seniors. Players are older than ever. Bub was the youngest basically every game.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,088

Post#19 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:10 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I've led this bandwagon and still believe in him. SGA lite. Remarkably similar prospects. SGA inexplicably fell and went #11 and that's about where I expect Carrington to go, maybe a little lower. It's funny how the draft "experts" were so late to join this bandwagon. I don't think I saw him in first rounds of mocks until a few weeks ago. Better late than never I suppose. But it is odd how despite this obvious lottery talent joining the talent pool of this class they deemed weak 2 years ago, they still aren't budging about the overall quality of this class.

He def has some midrange mastery and composed style that compares to SGA. The big difference between Bub as a prospect and either SGA or Maxey is that those guys were slashing beasts. Bub couldn't really get clean looks around the rim during his freshman season or finish as effectively. I do think he can and will improve upon that as he adds strength and fills into his frame, but it needs to be understood as a key area of improvement for Bub.

Here's a comparison of college numbers at the rim for each:

Bub: 14% of FGA at the rim; 53.7% FG% at rim
SGA: 44% of FGA at the rim; 61% FG% at rim
Maxey: 31% of FGA at the rim; 65% FG% at rim

And to harken back on my "player type" comparison of Bub as a better version of Immanuel Quickley as a prospect:

Quickley (as a 20-year old Soph): 15% of FGA at the rim; 48% FG% at rim

It's worth noting that Bub shot 50% on 2-pt jumpers (1/3 of his FGA), which is the best of the above group.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by CptCrunch » Thu May 16, 2024 12:50 am

Bub is a jimmy prodigy

Return to NBA Draft