Derrick Rose
46%
Ricky Rubio
54%

Total votes: 106

BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Re: Better Draft Prospect: Rubio or Rose? 

Post#41 » by BubbaTee » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:44 pm

RyGuy24 wrote:
Vindicater wrote:Its too hard to answer.

Euro ball and NBA ball are very different beasts.

It does not matter anyway, hes two drafts away from playing in the NBA. Really, who cares

He will be eligible for next years draft.

Some people have said he wants to wait one more yeaer though. Of course, that's said alot but then many change their mind when that much money is staring them in the face.

He doesn't have a choice. He's under contract until 2011, and the buyout is more than his entire NBA rookie salary would be, and much larger than what he makes playing in Spain. If an NBA team wants to eat the buyout to bring him over that's one thing, but Rubio himself can't do anything about it.

Obviously there's little incentive for his Spanish team to lower the buyout and make it easier for him to leave.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#42 » by ponder276 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:32 am

BubbaTee wrote:
RyGuy24 wrote:
Vindicater wrote:Its too hard to answer.

Euro ball and NBA ball are very different beasts.

It does not matter anyway, hes two drafts away from playing in the NBA. Really, who cares

He will be eligible for next years draft.

Some people have said he wants to wait one more yeaer though. Of course, that's said alot but then many change their mind when that much money is staring them in the face.

He doesn't have a choice. He's under contract until 2011, and the buyout is more than his entire NBA rookie salary would be, and much larger than what he makes playing in Spain. If an NBA team wants to eat the buyout to bring him over that's one thing, but Rubio himself can't do anything about it.

Obviously there's little incentive for his Spanish team to lower the buyout and make it easier for him to leave.

Can NBA teams pay buyouts? I don't think they can - I'm pretty sure the player has to pay it himself.
Anyways, Rubio knew what he was getting into when he signed that contract, and I doubt he'll come over before his current contract expires (if he even comes over at all).
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#43 » by old rem » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:24 pm

fleetwood macbull wrote:bald odds say that elite #1 overall level PGs don't come around in back to back years. Either Rubio and or Rose are overhyped in that... unless the emphasis on the PG position has truly gone through the roof and touted PGs are gonna go top 5 every year now just because. Or until 5 years from now we're all going remember those 2 busts Rose and Rubio we all were sure were the next whohas? what a laf!

lets just remember Eurohypes Darko and Bargnani and Skitishwhatever when dreaming about the overseas fantasy players. Seems like the best ones end up either unhyped or taken in the second round lower 1st while the golden boys go fzzzt. We get too nutty gushy over these mysterious Eurobeards. Not to mention Yi and Yao and Yo

Yep......Even Rose is a guy who's had one college season. He may be an above avg assist man who's a 14 ppg scorer.....which isn't gonna make him top 15 in the NBA. Same for Rubio. He figures to start but,if you are a starting NBA PG you need to be an 8 asst guy or a 16-17 pt scorer to be in the top 15,which means both these guys need to make steady progress a few years. Most of the NBA's better colleg PG's had 2-4 years as a quality college starter. They didn't have to evolve as much as rookies.

Hard to say if Rubio enters the draft or not,this year. The main NBA $$ appear after the rookie contract. Polishing his stuff in Europe an extra year might mean he's more NBA ready when he get's picked and that could pay off later. I think a lot of guys who hit the NBA as teens are premature and
they have to learn on the job,often with a team that can't or won't invest minutes in a kid who's still unripe and unpredictable.
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#44 » by old rem » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:27 pm

I think an NBA team has a limit on what $ it can pay toward a buyout,with that around $300,000.
CENSORED... No comment.
whonka
Head Coach
And1: 524

Post#45 » by whonka » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

bulls bought out tim thomas for much more than that i think
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#46 » by BubbaTee » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:06 pm

We're talking about buying a guy out from another team's contract - actually the player would be buying his own way out of his contract, with the NBA team reimbursing - not a guy on their own team.

In the Tim Thomas situation the Bulls were one of the primary parties. With Rubio, whatever NBA team wouldn't be a primary party. Plus, the whole "Rubio's not a member of the NBA player's union" thing.

Ah, found it. The limit is $500000 that an NBA team can contribute to a foreign player's buyout.

NBA regulations limit the amount teams can pay to a foreign club to "buy out" an international player -- currently a maximum of $500,000. However, the player himself can pay his old team the balance of the buyout clause. That means the player then looks to recoup that money by seeking a higher than market salary from his new employers, meaning the NBA teams ultimately shoulder the financial burden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2861992

Of course, if Rubio were to enter the draft his salary would be determined by where he was picked, and he wouldn't be able to negotiate a large free agent contract.
whonka
Head Coach
And1: 524

Post#47 » by whonka » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:58 am

ah, i see. thanks.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,141

Post#48 » by cgf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:10 pm

Just wondering but could a sponsorship deal pay Rubio's buyout if he were to come over to the NBA? I'm sure if Addidas signed him over in europe they could include a provision that would cover his buyout if he moved to teh NBA. As an NBA player he'd be much more valuable, so they could hide it as a raise or bonus, but really have it intended for covering his buyout.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#49 » by Sinistar6 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:43 am

I'm a Bulls fan and now after the draft I realize that Rose is far and away the better prospect!

That being said let me tell you how much I love RR. He is my second favorite player ever to come out of Europe. RR is a master artist and the court is his canvas. If I was a basketball coach, all my players would have to play soccer. That sport just makes the game slow down for point guards and gives them this magical court sense. Steve Nash has allowed us to see how an artist can excel with deficiency's. If RR has the confidence of Steve Nash, I can see him as a MVP candidate. However if his first 2 years don't go according to plan (ie. Rose gives him a facial, and the coach don't give him minutes) I can also see RR running back to Europe so he can be a big fish in a smaller pond.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
bobsampson
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#50 » by bobsampson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:46 am

Rose, and its not even close
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#51 » by jman3134 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Actually, I'd argue the opposite.^

Both aren't the best of shooters, but Rubio has done far more at an earlier stage in his career....he's only 17.

Rose is the better slasher, but his perimeter shooting is a lot more flawed, and this is going to cost him playing time in the near future.
bobsampson
Banned User

Post#52 » by bobsampson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:19 pm

jman3134 wrote:, and this is going to cost him playing time in the near future.

No, its not goin to cost him pt... People go to far with this idea that he cant shoot at all, seems the only knock people can come up with.. His jumper will surprise people even in his rookie year
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#53 » by jman3134 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:32 pm

I don't see how you can say that, other than completely speculating. His form seems to be okay, but his jumper is extremely inconsistent. Sure, it improved down the stretch of the college season. But, he is also going to have to adapt his entire game to NBA defenses. And, with the ball in his hands constantly, there is going to be much greater ball pressure than he has ever experienced in college. Defenses will collapse on him more effectively, initially taking away his tremendous first step. Better defenders = less opportunities to solely attack the basket. And, playing in the pitch and kick system that Calipari had him working in, it is really hard to tell whether his court vision has progressed tremendously in one college season. It was sort of masked by the system he played in. (so that could be good or bad)

Most indications in college were that his jumper was inconsistent, but improving. The jury is still out on his passing imo. There is no doubt that he has some facets of his game that he must work on. (I mean there is always room for improvement) But, he has all the necessary tools to reach the next level- his athleticism is tremendous.

Still, I think Rubio is special in a completely different way, but obviously he has some notable flaws that will effect his transition in the league.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#54 » by Cammo101 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 pm

I love both guys, but Rose is the better prospect. He will get that jumper improved, and when he does, watch out. Rose will be a special NBA player, the kind you build teams around. Rubio may be as well, but I am less sure of it.
bobsampson
Banned User

Post#55 » by bobsampson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:36 am

jman3134 wrote:I don't see how you can say that, other than completely speculating. His form seems to be okay, but his jumper is extremely inconsistent. Sure, it improved down the stretch of the college season. But, he is also going to have to adapt his entire game to NBA defenses. And, with the ball in his hands constantly, there is going to be much greater ball pressure than he has ever experienced in college. Defenses will collapse on him more effectively, initially taking away his tremendous first step. Better defenders = less opportunities to solely attack the basket. And, playing in the pitch and kick system that Calipari had him working in, it is really hard to tell whether his court vision has progressed tremendously in one college season. It was sort of masked by the system he played in. (so that could be good or bad)

Most indications in college were that his jumper was inconsistent, but improving. The jury is still out on his passing imo. There is no doubt that he has some facets of his game that he must work on. (I mean there is always room for improvement) But, he has all the necessary tools to reach the next level- his athleticism is tremendous.

Still, I think Rubio is special in a completely different way, but obviously he has some notable flaws that will effect his transition in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM2Iel1pM9A :lol:

He will actually be better in the NBA
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#56 » by ponder276 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:35 am

bobsampson wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I don't see how you can say that, other than completely speculating. His form seems to be okay, but his jumper is extremely inconsistent. Sure, it improved down the stretch of the college season. But, he is also going to have to adapt his entire game to NBA defenses. And, with the ball in his hands constantly, there is going to be much greater ball pressure than he has ever experienced in college. Defenses will collapse on him more effectively, initially taking away his tremendous first step. Better defenders = less opportunities to solely attack the basket. And, playing in the pitch and kick system that Calipari had him working in, it is really hard to tell whether his court vision has progressed tremendously in one college season. It was sort of masked by the system he played in. (so that could be good or bad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM2Iel1pM9A :lol:

He will actually be better in the NBA

God DAMN he is fast! I still think it'll take him a couple seasons before he's producing consistently (still needs work on his jumper, and on playmaking in general), but by his 3rd year or so he should be a beast. His combination of size, speed, strength, hops and handle are very, very rare in a PG. I stick by what I said earlier in this thread - both Rubio and Rose should be very good players, but ultimately Rose will be better, and Rubio will have trouble scoring.
Jonathan Watters
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#57 » by Jonathan Watters » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Yeah, I'm shocked by the number of people who somehow think Rose's athleticism isn't going to translate as well to the NBA level. The team he played for in college had absolutely no outside shooting whatsoever, and really nobody to score in the paint either. Teams could pack it in all night, or even zone up. Now the Bulls aren't exactly the second coming when it comes to offense and court spacing either, but come on - Rose is the type of freak athlete who doesn't even need space to score. Now he's going to get it in droves. Absolutely no way the NBA game doesn't suit Derrick Rose substantially better...

And while that was a grainy video clip, I thought Rose's jumper looked much better and even more importantly his touch around the basket appeared quite soft. That's something he needed to work on, and apparently he has...
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#58 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Rose by far
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Antetokounmpo
Veteran
And1: 1,051

Post#59 » by Antetokounmpo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:56 am

Yeah.. I'll have a go with Rose as well.
BULLS333
Rookie

Post#60 » by BULLS333 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:42 pm

rose by far obvsly no one has watched him play and see how much better he is then his whole team. rubio has good passing ill giving him that. but derrick is able to score at will no joke his speed and he kicks it out for dime at anytime. both will be soild players but clearly as of now i would take rose over him even if they both were in the draft i would take mayo beasly over him to.
" THE INDUSTRY BULLS MAN " CHICAGO BULLS ALL DAY

Return to NBA Draft