Derrick Rose
46%
Ricky Rubio
54%

Total votes: 106

klvanzu
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Better Draft Prospect: Rubio or Rose? 

Post#61 » by klvanzu » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:20 am

Rose easily, and it's not because I think Rubio is a bad prospect or won't be good, I just believe Rose is going to be a surefire superstar. Derrick's court vision is outstanding and has really surprised Bulls fans, and others, who didn't know what to expect. He's going to have some growing pains as he'll turn the ball over occasionally looking to fit the ball into small places, but he's the type of player that learns the game really well, and lets the game come to him. His athletic ability is top notch and he's got very good size at the PG position as well. Rose uses his athleticism and size very well, getting to the basket with ease and finishes as well, or better, than any PG in the league. Derrick is also a pure WINNER. In high school he led Simeon to back to back state championships, which is the first time ever that a Chicago Public school has won back to back. Although Memphis lost in the championship, Derrick carried that team to the final game and put them in position to win it. As a freshman no less. Regardless of whether his free throws won or lost the game, Memphis wouldn't have been there if Derrick hadn't carried them the whole way. He outplayed many top PGs along the way in that tourney including DJ Augustin, Darren Collison, and Mario Chalmers.

The things Rose needs to work on are his perimeter shooting and defense. His shot is not as bad as many have made it sound. His mechanics are very good, he gets nice lift, and he gets his shot off pretty quickly. I'm guessing his ability to get to the basket has hindered his development of a jump shot, but he will have a very good mid range jumper (ala Tony Parker) at least, if not a reasonable 3pt shot as well (35% is very possible). Derrick's defense is the part of his game that he needs to improve the most on. He used his athletic ability to man handle guards in college, but his footwork and recognition skills will need to improve if he wants to dominate that side of the ball. He's already looked much better from his first preseason game to his last, but is still average at best on that side of the ball. His athleticism and instincts should allow him to be at least an average defender, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a very solid defender who jumps passing lanes and racks up some steals. I doubt he'll ever be a lock down type guy however, but how many PGs in the league are lock down guys? Not many. I don't know if it's even possible when PGs are running pick and rolls and you have to guard the talent of guys like CP3, D Will, Nash, AI, B Davis, etc. etc. etc.

Ricky Rubio looks like a really intriguing prospect, but there are a lot of questions about his game and if he can translate to the style of the NBA. Will/can he improve his jump shot? He gets no lift, it's very slow, and it's not that good currently. Can he be affective against quicker, more athletic PGs? He plays against good talent already, but many of those players are more physical than quick/athletic. Can he break down players who are much more athletic than him? Can he guard players that are going to be much more skilled on a nightly basis than the ones he's currently playing? Rubio has oustanding court vision, is a good defender (will he be in the nba though?), has great size, is still super young and playing with great players, looks like a winner for sure, and looks like he has the intensity needed to get the job done. But, even if he does become a great player, I think it will take him much longer due to the change of scenery, style of play, athletic ability, and shooting ability. I wouldn't hesitate on picking him in the top 10, but I still have my reservations compared to how I felt about Rose coming out of college, and especially now after seeing Derrick in the preseason.
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#62 » by Fran Vasquez » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:56 am

omg american pgs are better at american pging than euro pgs are at american pging

no one would have thought about that ^^

i say we should focus in the next big euro stiff instead of a skinny kid with no hoops, ive heard those guys are really really.... tall
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#63 » by Veggamattic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 am

Ricky Rubio will be a household name some day. He has a very rare Gretzky like gift. He easily outplayed Calderon and Rodriguez for the Spanish team in the Olympics. They are both very good NBA point guards. Especially Calderon. He really is so much like Maravich.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#64 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Along with Chris Paul, Rubio and Rose are the 3 best PG prospects I have seen. We are splitting hairs here.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,858

Post#65 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Before the start of the season I would have voted Rubio easily. I'm much more hesitant given how well Rose has played. I still think that Rubio has superior court vision, better size and length whereas Rose is more athletic. Rubio really needs to work on his shot though, Rose is playing much better offensively then I ever would have guessed.

Its not that I didn't expect Rose to be a good player but I was expecting more of a Tony Parker type player if anything, I guess I was wrong.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,714

Post#66 » by madvillian » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:09 am

Well Rose is averaging 18/6/4 on good shooting as a 20 year old rookie so at this point I take Rose. Rubio is a great prospect but duplicating what Rose is already doing will be very difficult.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,080

Post#67 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:20 pm

It really depends on how Rubio develops as a scorer. People always throw maravich's name around b/c he was such a fancy passer, but always seem to ignore that he was a scorer. Do people expect Rubio to be a good scorer?
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 754

Post#68 » by Hold That » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:36 am

Rose and it's not even close..

This was like when RealGM was arguing who would be better in the long run between LeBron and Darko, during their drafts..

Derrick Rose is a very rare player, he has size, strength, speed, court vision, and the most athletic PG at his position right now.

Does anyone expect Rubio to be putting up 19/5/5 on 47% shooting as a 20 year old rookie? I sure as hell don't, no matter how well he plays on his Spanish team.. Playing in the NBA is a totally different and far more difficult than playing in the Olympic games.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#69 » by Zeitgeister » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:31 am

Poohdini wrote:Rose and it's not even close..

This was like when RealGM was arguing who would be better in the long run between LeBron and Darko, during their drafts..

Derrick Rose is a very rare player, he has size, strength, speed, court vision, and the most athletic PG at his position right now.

Does anyone expect Rubio to be putting up 19/5/5 on 47% shooting as a 20 year old rookie? I sure as hell don't, no matter how well he plays on his Spanish team.. Playing in the NBA is a totally different and far more difficult than playing in the Olympic games.

I can't help but look at your location, Chicago and think that there may be a little bias in your statement. The LeBron/Darko - Rose/Rubio comparison is WAY off. Rubio has better length and height then Rose (at least from what i've heard), better court vision, probably a better defender then Rose right now. The one area that Rose definitely has an advantage is in scoring, although I think Rubio will still be a decent scorer given how much of a mismatch he'll have in height over most point guards.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,714

Post#70 » by madvillian » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm sure where all this "Rubio is bigger talk" is coming from. He's what, listed 1" taller than Rose? And Rose actually has a strong frame to go along with his height, something Rubio will have to work on very hard before he gets in the league.

And Rose is an explosive athlete whereas Rubio is merely average for NBA standards. I don't buy any of these "Rubio is better physically" arguments. Vision and mental makeup fine, but physically Rose is miles ahead.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#71 » by Sinistar6 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I can't help but think Rose is the better prospect right now with the way he has played through the first month of the season. Seriously, he has done amazing. Sometimes when I watch him I can't help but wonder if this is the NBA because it looks like a Div1 college prospect playing the Math and Science academy. Then LeBron comes and hits his head on the rafter and I realize this is the NBA and there are other great players. Guess what Im trying to say is DRose makes the rest of the bulls look slow and akward...

I don't know if Rubio will be able to do that.

I think they will both be awesome.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#72 » by BubbaTee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:22 am

Poohdini wrote:Playing in the NBA is a totally different and far more difficult than playing in the Olympic games.

That's not the word around Portland.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 754

Post#73 » by Hold That » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
Poohdini wrote:Rose and it's not even close..

I can't help but look at your location, Chicago and think that there may be a little bias in your statement. The LeBron/Darko - Rose/Rubio comparison is WAY off. Rubio has better length and height then Rose (at least from what i've heard), better court vision, probably a better defender then Rose right now. The one area that Rose definitely has an advantage is in scoring, although I think Rubio will still be a decent scorer given how much of a mismatch he'll have in height over most point guards.

Rubio might have height on him but does he have strength? Rubio is only an inch taller than Derrick so his height is not a major advantage. And between the two players Rose is the one who plays like he is 6'4. He plays ALOT bigger than Rubio and knows how to use his frame to shed off defenders. I have yet to see Rubio do these things. Until someone provides Rubio's measurements, I'm hard pressed to believe he has the longer wingspan and standing reach than Rose.

Rubio is going to struggle in the league, he can't shoot, he cant drive, and will not force teams to double him. So in pick and role situations all teams will do is go under the screen and cut his passing lanes forcing him to take that jumper. Until he comes in with a jumper, I really don't see him being all that great on a lottery bound team with limited weapons.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 pm

What the Rubio fanatics are missing in the question is - It's not - How good is he compared to other former greats at his age; It's how well does he project as an NBA prospect. The answers are not the same - not even close. He simply doesn't have the physical ability to be a great player in the NBA. He's more likely going to be a taller Luke Ridnour than an NBA all-star. Rose is clearly the better prospect.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#75 » by Zeitgeister » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:What the Rubio fanatics are missing in the question is - It's not - How good is he compared to other former greats at his age; It's how well does he project as an NBA prospect. The answers are not the same - not even close. He simply doesn't have the physical ability to be a great player in the NBA. He's more likely going to be a taller Luke Ridnour than an NBA all-star. Rose is clearly the better prospect.

A taller Luke Ridnour? The guy was hanging with the best players in the NBA this past summer and you are calling him a Luke Ridnour type player? Rose doesn't have the court awareness, Rubio will simply be the better passer. Rubio needs to work on his shooting form, and he also needs to gain some muscle but he's only 18 the guy has the tools to improve.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#76 » by mr.ankle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
Ruzious wrote:What the Rubio fanatics are missing in the question is - It's not - How good is he compared to other former greats at his age; It's how well does he project as an NBA prospect. The answers are not the same - not even close. He simply doesn't have the physical ability to be a great player in the NBA. He's more likely going to be a taller Luke Ridnour than an NBA all-star. Rose is clearly the better prospect.

A taller Luke Ridnour? The guy was hanging with the best players in the NBA this past summer and you are calling him a Luke Ridnour type player? Rose doesn't have the court awareness, Rubio will simply be the better passer. Rubio needs to work on his shooting form, and he also needs to gain some muscle but he's only 18 the guy has the tools to improve.

So what if he played against team USA . So did Derrick Rose . He was on the US select team . Rubio was not impressive against team USA . He was just barely mediocre . Rose is just faster, stronger , more talented than Rubio . I highly doubt Rubio will come in and dominate like Rose Has his rookie year .
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#77 » by BubbaTee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Poohdini wrote:Rubio is going to struggle in the league, he can't shoot, he cant drive, and will not force teams to double him. So in pick and role situations all teams will do is go under the screen and cut his passing lanes forcing him to take that jumper. Until he comes in with a jumper, I really don't see him being all that great on a lottery bound team with limited weapons.

Rubio gets into the lane whenever he wants in ACB, which is a heck of a lot tougher than Conference USA was last year. No, he doesn't have some '85 Jordan-level first step. Neither do Steve Nash and Manu Ginobili, and they still get anywhere on the court they want to.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#78 » by AQuintus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Nash and Ginobili both have something that Rubio doesn't have, a jump shot. Because of their threat from range, defenders have to play much closer to them then they will against Rubio, giving them a much easier time getting into the paint.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#79 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:54 am

mr.ankle wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

So what if he played against team USA . So did Derrick Rose . He was on the US select team . Rubio was not impressive against team USA . He was just barely mediocre . Rose is just faster, stronger , more talented than Rubio . I highly doubt Rubio will come in and dominate like Rose Has his rookie year .

Rubio was pretty damn impressive for a 17 year old kid playing against the best players in the NBA who are in the prime of their careers. Not to mention that he had to compete for playing time on the second best team at the Olympics. Dwayne Wade thought he looked impressive. Rose is faster, and he is stronger as well. Saying he is more talented is very debateable. Rubio has the length and height advantage, and has better passing skills and defensive skills.

I really don't know that Rubio can come in and dominate like Rose has this early, but he's not your average soft Euro that people here seem to paint him as.
BULLS333
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#80 » by BULLS333 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 pm

this shouldnt even be a talked about drose now and future for sure to athletic strong and great leadership and for those who dont think rose can shoot you should watch him his jump shot is great and three pointers coming along which he will have soon and make him even more dangerous, rubio just has better passing that al i think
" THE INDUSTRY BULLS MAN " CHICAGO BULLS ALL DAY

Return to NBA Draft