Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

j3yuen
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: What's up with DeMar DeRozan? 

Post#21 » by j3yuen » Mon Dec 8, 2008 6:50 am

its cause tim floyd sucks
look at what they accomplished, or didn't accomplish, with mayo who's now averaging 21 4 and 3 in the big leagues...
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,894

Post#22 » by Zeitgeister » Mon Dec 8, 2008 6:58 am

j3yuen wrote:its cause tim floyd sucks
look at what they accomplished, or didn't accomplish, with mayo who's now averaging 21 4 and 3 in the big leagues...

If anything, that's only part of it. Even in that offense Mayo managed to play a lot better then Derozan is playing right now. Plus, given that the guy is so athletic he should have no problem imposing his will upon the competition, but the guy has no ball handling skills.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#23 » by AQuintus » Mon Dec 8, 2008 7:49 am

Zeitgeister wrote:

If anything, that's only part of it. Even in that offense Mayo managed to play a lot better then Derozan is playing right now. Plus, given that the guy is so athletic he should have no problem imposing his will upon the competition, but the guy has no ball handling skills.

This is the weirdest thing about the guy, in my opinion, because both Draftexpress and NBADraft note his ball handling ability in a positive way. And based on the Youtube highlights (I know it's not the best source) I've seen, his handle looked alright.

NBADraft wrote:He now has a package of offensive skills including the ability to create shots off the dribble as well as range out to college three Has developed slick ball handling ability with a mean crossover,

Draftexpress wrote:He is just so creative when he has the ball in his hands, weaving in and out of traffic throughout the lane and finishing with either hand near the rim.

There's also this quote from Draftexpress:

Draftexpress wrote:He still looks a bit limited in the half-court—it’s not clear if he’s unable or just unwilling to take on too many responsibilities creating his own shot from the wing

This seems to me like it might be the real problem, because based on the actual game footage (that I've seen at least), I don't think that you can say conclusively one way or the other. After all, all he ever did was take one or two dribbles and then pass it off.

Maybe I'm still trying to talk myself into liking the guy, but it seems to me like this might be a failing of the offensive system more than anything DeRozan is doing. It's possible that he's been told by Floyd to play within his *(limited) offensive system and not to try to create for himself.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#24 » by revprodeji » Mon Dec 8, 2008 3:48 pm

Hardin>>DeRozan for an NBA team.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
AnSweR07
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#25 » by AnSweR07 » Mon Dec 8, 2008 8:40 pm

Even if he fails to live up to the expectations for rest of season..if he declares his package of size and athleticism at sg will be too enticing for any team to pass up. He's as athletic as they come, but the vince carter comparisons are a lil off. Vince was no great handler in college by any means but he was still way more under control. Demar's handles are overrated as it shows when he tries to drive to the lane and gets stopped by his man. HIs shooting needs a lot of work as defenses don't respect his j at all. He has the talent of a high lottery pick, but skill wise he's just not there.. yet IMO.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#26 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 8, 2008 8:59 pm

Vince wasn't Vince as a freshman either.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#27 » by Cammo101 » Mon Dec 8, 2008 9:43 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Vince wasn't Vince as a freshman either.

Vince was a heck of a lot better as a freshman than Derozan has been though.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#28 » by old rem » Mon Dec 8, 2008 10:25 pm

AQuintus wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

This is the weirdest thing about the guy, in my opinion, because both Draftexpress and NBADraft note his ball handling ability in a positive way. And based on the Youtube highlights (I know it's not the best source) I've seen, his handle looked alright.

NBADraft wrote:He now has a package of offensive skills including the ability to create shots off the dribble as well as range out to college three Has developed slick ball handling ability with a mean crossover,

Draftexpress wrote:He is just so creative when he has the ball in his hands, weaving in and out of traffic throughout the lane and finishing with either hand near the rim.

Draftexpress wrote:He still looks a bit limited in the half-court—it’s not clear if he’s unable or just unwilling to take on too many responsibilities creating his own shot from the wing

This seems to me like it might be the real problem, because based on the actual game footage (that I've seen at least), I don't think that you can say conclusively one way or the other. After all, all he ever did was take one or two dribbles and then pass it off.

Maybe I'm still trying to talk myself into liking the guy, but it seems to me like this might be a failing of the offensive system more than anything DeRozan is doing. It's possible that he's been told by Floyd to play within his *(limited) offensive system and not to try to create for himself.

I regard the Mock Sites take on any incoming freshman with ome skepticism. A high level athlete plaing a average HS isn't getting a big challenge. He may not face a guy in the regular season who gets a scholarship to a major school. No doubt he'd look better vs a cupcake team or a third string, but if a good college team takes away a lot of your stuff...don't go pro,cause you'll rot on the bench after getting picked much later than you thought.

You Tube highlights? A lot of nobodies could assemble an impressive set of highlight clips. Take all you know of Adonal Foyle from a 3 min highlight reel and he looks like a superstar. See the REST of his long career and that illusion dies.
CENSORED... No comment.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#29 » by BubbaTee » Tue Dec 9, 2008 10:37 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:I've been really disappointed with Derozan so far this season. I hate to count the guy out but, he really does have a long ways to go to develop his skills. I don't understand these guys, do they not realize that they can have all the athleticism in the world but if they can't dribble the damn ball they won't be able to use it?

There's tons of things you can do with athleticism while you develop a handle - defend, crash the boards, block shots, get in the passing lanes. Problem is DeRozan's not doing many of those things either.

Corey Brewer played himself into a lotto pick without every learning how to dribble. Hakim Warrick got himself into the 1st round without knowing how to dribble.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#30 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:38 am

BubbaTee wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:I've been really disappointed with Derozan so far this season. I hate to count the guy out but, he really does have a long ways to go to develop his skills. I don't understand these guys, do they not realize that they can have all the athleticism in the world but if they can't dribble the damn ball they won't be able to use it?

There's tons of things you can do with athleticism while you develop a handle - defend, crash the boards, block shots, get in the passing lanes. Problem is DeRozan's not doing many of those things either.

Corey Brewer played himself into a lotto pick without every learning how to dribble. Hakim Warrick got himself into the 1st round without knowing how to dribble.

Okay, that was a good point but I was referring more to scoring but I didn't state that very clearly. I agree though, he could be a good defender and rebounder without having good ball handling skills but this guy looks to be an NBA SG and all good shot guards need to be able to dribble the ball. I hate to say it but Derozan kind of reminds me of Gerald Green at this point.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Zeitgeister
General Manager

Post#31 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:40 am

AQuintus wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

I find it strange as well, when I read on draft express they talk about his ability to create his own shot off the dribble, but here he looks completely lost. I have to say I was a little worried though, if I remember correctly he didn't look to good in the Mcdonalds All-American game. Who knows though, he might end up being a Vince or Rudy Gay type of guy that has a lot of athleticism but takes a little time to develop his skillset.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#32 » by It_Was_Typed » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:44 am

He looks more like Gerald Green than Vince Carter out there.
#JuiceIsFree
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#33 » by ezmac2 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:19 am

During the G'Town and Memphis game they talked about him a little. Saying he lacks that killer instinct that come with being a "superstar"
But i think its just gonna take him awhile to adjust and not rely solely on size and athleticism like he did in high school.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#34 » by BigSlam » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Has he seen the light or has his last two games been the exception rather than the rule?

His combined last two games:

35pts, (16/27 - 0/2 - 3/6)
11 boards
4 assists
4 steals
2 blocks
3 turn overs
B B M F 'ers
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#35 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:24 pm

I hope that he is beginning to find his way because this kid looked like a stud coming out of high school. I hope he really turns it around this year and if he does, is smart enough to realize he still probably isn't ready to make that jump to the NBA. There's nothing wrong with waiting around your sophomore year. I mean, Blake Griffin seems to be doing okay with NBA Scouts :wink:
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#36 » by hard49 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:09 am

bosFcelts wrote:I hope that he is beginning to find his way because this kid looked like a stud coming out of high school. I hope he really turns it around this year and if he does, is smart enough to realize he still probably isn't ready to make that jump to the NBA. There's nothing wrong with waiting around your sophomore year. I mean, Blake Griffin seems to be doing okay with NBA Scouts :wink:

Blake Griffin was top 5 last year. All he did was cost himself $3.5 million in salary.

You can develop in the NBA.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#37 » by jman3134 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:59 am

I watched DeRozan the other day and was actually impressed by his playing. While he was not extremely efficient shooting the ball from the perimeter (which could be hurting his confidence), he was able to do little things on the defensive end and generally rebound the ball. Demar came up with baskets during critical junctures in the game, looking more like a lottery pick than he had previously this year. He is certainly a work in progress and he makes some silly mistakes. But, I would argue that he is not a James White type of player who is unable to utilize his athleticism in game scenarios.
eyejayem
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#38 » by eyejayem » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Who ever said Gerald Green, that was exactly what I was thinking.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#39 » by sipclip » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Gerald Green is a terrible comparison when it comes to actually playing basketball. They may have similar athleticism but Green was a far more skilled offensive player coming out of highschool. Green would have feasted on the college 3pt line and averaged 20pts a game rather easily his freshman year.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#40 » by BigSlam » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Did anyone see his game last night against ASU when he dropped 22 (19 in the 2nd half)?

How did he score his points?
B B M F 'ers

Return to NBA Draft