Brandon Jennings' Euroleague Season Completed

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Brandon Jennings' Euroleague Season Completed 

Post#1 » by KWSN-Men » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Brandon Jennings played his final Euroleague game as his team Lottomatica Roma failed to make the playoffs and played their last game of the season. His team's record for the year was 7-9.

Jennings' Euroleague numbers for the year:

19.6 minutes per game

38.7 FG%
77.4 FT%
26.8 3 PT FG%

7.6 points per game
1.6 rebounds per game
1.6 assists per game

1.2 steals per game
0.1 blocks per game

1.2 turnovers per game
2.3 fouls per game

It should be interesting to see how his Euroleague season is viewed by NBA general managers in the upcoming draft.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Re: Brandon Jennings' Euroleague Season Completed 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm

GM's know what a talent Jennings is. He needs to get to America ASAP and put this failed Euro thing behind him. He is still a lotto pick.
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#3 » by BlackIce » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Cammo101 wrote:GM's know what a talent Jennings is. He needs to get to America ASAP and put this failed Euro thing behind him. He is still a lotto pick.

not really a failure the experience he gained is more valuable then putting up big numbers in college, he really improved his defense over there, and was truly humbled, if anything he "upped" his value, and I really hope the raps draft him at 8 then trade caldy.
Toxicity
Analyst
And1: 39

Post#4 » by Toxicity » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Cammo101 wrote:He needs to get to America ASAP and put this failed Euro thing behind him. He is still a lotto pick.

Lottomatica Roma also needs to put this failed expensive experiment behind them... honestly Jennings had like zero impact on almost all the games.
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#5 » by ponder276 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm sure his season in Europe will be viewed as more of a negative than a positive, as he put up some pretty poor stats, but since what he's done is so unprecedented, I think the scouts will rely more on his workouts to see how he competes. It's not easy for an 18 year old to go to a completely different country, where he doesn't speak the language, and try to play on a competitive professional basketball team with a different set of rules after only ever playing high school ball in the past. Hopefully Jennings' experience will prevent US fans from labelling young Euros as busts when they don't produce in their first season in the NBA - there's obviously a ton of adjustment needed when you switch back and forth between Europe and American ball!
He seems very talented in the highlights I've seen, and apparently scouts are still quite high on him, so I agree with Cammo that he is almost certainly still a lotto pick.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#6 » by ManualRam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:20 pm

im sure he learned a little while in europe, but did he learn enough? from a couple of clips and game footage i've seen this yr, he still seems to play like the stupid, flashy chucker i saw last yr.
if he cant find some discipline in his game in that type of environment, when will he ever?
the kid is so talented, i wish he would just cut the crap and get that street out of his game.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#7 » by KWSN-Men » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:25 pm

ponder276 wrote:I'm sure his season in Europe will be viewed as more of a negative than a positive, as he put up some pretty poor stats, but since what he's done is so unprecedented, I think the scouts will rely more on his workouts to see how he competes. It's not easy for an 18 year old to go to a completely different country, where he doesn't speak the language, and try to play on a competitive professional basketball team with a different set of rules after only ever playing high school ball in the past. Hopefully Jennings' experience will prevent US fans from labelling young Euros as busts when they don't produce in their first season in the NBA - there's obviously a ton of adjustment needed when you switch back and forth between Europe and American ball!
He seems very talented in the highlights I've seen, and apparently scouts are still quite high on him, so I agree with Cammo that he is almost certainly still a lotto pick.

That's all probably true, but I think Jennings was 19 when he went to Italy, not 18. Not much of a difference but just a little bit. When you are young every year adds a little maturity. But yeah it's tough for a 19 year old kid. But on the language issue, coaches and players speak English. Language should not be an issue for any American player going to Euroleague clubs.

I agree he is a talented player. As far as US fans suddenly understanding that Euro players need to adjust to, I seriously doubt it. Most US fans were predicting he would dominate the Euroleague, the same way they predicted Childress would. Most US fans simply have zero respect for the Euroleague and will never give any credit for the level of play there.

I will say this though, I think Jennings had a better Euroleague year than Rubio did (but Rubio had an injury so you probably can't really count that), and so far his year is better than the one Jannero Pargo is having. Pargo hasn't really done anything so far.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#8 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 pm

So does his team still play before the draft or is their season done?

I had thought Euro League was seperate from the other they play in, similar to the NCAA's and the NIT's?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#9 » by KWSN-Men » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:So does his team still play before the draft or is their season done?

I had thought Euro League was seperate from the other they play in, similar to the NCAA's and the NIT's?

The Italian national league season will continue on. I think Lottomatica is in 2nd place in Italy right now so they are fighting for playoff positioning.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:10 am

Nice. Thanks for the info.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:53 am

talkbasket wrote:
ponder276 wrote:I'm sure his season in Europe will be viewed as more of a negative than a positive, as he put up some pretty poor stats, but since what he's done is so unprecedented, I think the scouts will rely more on his workouts to see how he competes. It's not easy for an 18 year old to go to a completely different country, where he doesn't speak the language, and try to play on a competitive professional basketball team with a different set of rules after only ever playing high school ball in the past. Hopefully Jennings' experience will prevent US fans from labelling young Euros as busts when they don't produce in their first season in the NBA - there's obviously a ton of adjustment needed when you switch back and forth between Europe and American ball!

That's all probably true, but I think Jennings was 19 when he went to Italy, not 18. Not much of a difference but just a little bit. When you are young every year adds a little maturity. But yeah it's tough for a 19 year old kid. But on the language issue, coaches and players speak English. Language should not be an issue for any American player going to Euroleague clubs.

I agree he is a talented player. As far as US fans suddenly understanding that Euro players need to adjust to, I seriously doubt it. Most US fans were predicting he would dominate the Euroleague, the same way they predicted Childress would. Most US fans simply have zero respect for the Euroleague and will never give any credit for the level of play there.

I will say this though, I think Jennings had a better Euroleague year than Rubio did (but Rubio had an injury so you probably can't really count that), and so far his year is better than the one Jannero Pargo is having. Pargo hasn't really done anything so far.

Well they're idiots. But, then again, the European game is very different than that of the NBA, so it does require some adjusting. (not making excuses for guys like Childress but...) Most informed US fans recognize the Euroleague as the most competitive league outside the NBA with a different style of play.

Secondly, lately Rubio has been lighting it up. So I wouldn't say Jennings has been better.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#12 » by KWSN-Men » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:37 am

jman3134 wrote:
Secondly, lately Rubio has been lighting it up. So I wouldn't say Jennings has been better.

I meant Jennings was better in the Euroleague, but like I said Rubio had an injury so you probably can't count that. Rubio has been playing only in ACB games for awhile now because his team was eliminated out of the Euroleague a long time ago already
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:55 am

Sorry, I read your comment wrong. I thought you meant season-wise.
jgozalb
Junior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by jgozalb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:16 am

talkbasket wrote:I will say this though, I think Jennings had a better Euroleague year than Rubio did (but Rubio had an injury so you probably can't really count that), and so far his year is better than the one Jannero Pargo is having. Pargo hasn't really done anything so far.

Rubio played only 5 games and he was still recovering. People should not value Rubio and Jennings for what they have done in the Euroleague. Its far more accurate to value them for his stats in their national leagues.
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#15 » by Fran Vasquez » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Cammo101 wrote:GM's know what a talent Jennings is. He needs to get to America ASAP and put this failed Euro thing behind him. He is still a lotto pick.

he did not fail, he is a rookie and got playing time, and those numbers arent bad
NYC2BGI
Starter
And1: 1

Post#16 » by NYC2BGI » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Lottomatica Roma also needs to put this failed expensive experiment behind them... honestly Jennings had like zero impact on almost all the games.
That is right. He was just an average player. Europe exposed all of his weaknesses.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#17 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 am

Personally, I wouldn't touch Jennings with a top-20 pick, but the fact remains that he will be drafted in the lottery come June.

Everything about his European distraction strikes me as a kid who bought into his own hype, and the fact remains that maybe he might not be that good. It's not a good comparison skill-wise, but remember the hype surrounding Gerald Green? He can't even stick in the NBA. Jennings will likely go on to have a legitimate career, but I don't see him being very successful unless he makes some major adjustments on multiple levels.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Genjuro
Sixth Man
And1: 223

Post#18 » by Genjuro » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Toxicity wrote:Lottomatica Roma also needs to put this failed expensive experiment behind them... honestly Jennings had like zero impact on almost all the games.

Wasn't Jennings making something like 300,000 euros? I don't think that's particularly expensive. It's a rotation player's salary for a team like Roma, what you would expect someone like Jennings to earn.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#19 » by Hendrix » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 pm

I think he's still a mid lotto type of guy. He has all the talent in the world, but really needs to improve a lot in certain things. His shot selection is horrendus. I honestyl don't think I've ever seen anybody with as bad shot selection. He's shooting 20% from 3 on the year, but he'll take 6 step back, fadeaway 3's five feet behind the 3pt line. Wtf is that? But then the next play he'll fly up the court in transition, and make a nice dish, or get by his defender like they're standing still.

I dunno I'de take a chance on the guy because he's really talented, but I question the IQ of anybody with that kind of shot selection.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#20 » by KWSN-Men » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Genjuro wrote:
Toxicity wrote:Lottomatica Roma also needs to put this failed expensive experiment behind them... honestly Jennings had like zero impact on almost all the games.

Wasn't Jennings making something like 300,000 euros? I don't think that's particularly expensive. It's a rotation player's salary for a team like Roma, what you would expect someone like Jennings to earn.

I'm pretty sure he was making something like $1.2 million net per year.

Return to NBA Draft