Another Top U.S Prospect Headed to Europe

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 945

Another Top U.S Prospect Headed to Europe 

Post#1 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:35 am

And he's not even waiting to finish high school to do it. He had committed to Louisville but decided that a fourth year of high school ball was useless and only going to hurt his game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/sport ... ml?_r=2&hp

Jeremy Tyler, a 6-foot-11 high school junior whom some consider the best American big man since Greg Oden, says he will be taking a new path to the N.B.A. He has left San Diego High School and said this week that he would skip his senior year to play professionally in Europe.

Tyler, 17, would become the first United States-born player to leave high school early to play professionally overseas. He is expected to return in two years, when he is projected to be a top pick, if not the No. 1 pick, in the 2011 N.B.A. draft.

“Nowadays people look to college for more off-the-court stuff versus being in the gym and getting better,” Tyler said. “If you’re really focused on getting better, you go play pro somewhere. Pro guys will get you way better than playing against college guys.”
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Re: Another Top U.S Prospect Headed to Europe 

Post#2 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:38 am

17 and all ready tatted up...
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#3 » by KWSN-Men » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:40 am

I really hope he does a lot better than Jennings did.
wushui
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by wushui » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:47 am

I watched him play against my high school team. My first impression was that he's athletic and skilled, but he gives zero effort on defense and plays lackadaisically. Maybe two years in the pros where he can focus exclusively on basketball will help fix his effort level and work ethic.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 am

good for him. hopefully he grows a brain over there.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,284

Post#6 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:18 am

I love it. Someone calling out college basketball for the hypocrisy it is. Every time you hear somebody defend college basketball its always about how these "kids" are getting an education and the camaraderie. The kid and his father know its about the money and it always has been with players talented like him. Everybody else makes money legally except the player. I love the kid and the father's quote about how education isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Unfortunately you already know what Stern will do to prevent this from becoming a regular occurrence since he's already hinted it. He's probably going to raise the age limit again.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#7 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:18 am

He is a good player and I wish him the best.
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#8 » by kdot99 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 am

lol @ him leavin high school early. Atleast Jennings completed his senior year.
The Emcee
General Manager
And1: 156

Post#9 » by The Emcee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:50 am

What the hell is he supposed to do for a living once he retires? He won't even have a HS diploma.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,389

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:58 am

The Emcee wrote:What the hell is he supposed to do for a living once he retires? He won't even have a HS diploma.

he'll go get his HS diploma
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Post#11 » by raleigh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:12 am

The Emcee wrote:What the hell is he supposed to do for a living once he retires? He won't even have a HS diploma.

LOL. Unless you desire a skill that is only available with a 4-yr. degree, many people are better off with a GED and 2-yr. degree.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,799

Post#12 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:15 am

^ or live on a beach home in Hawaii with $300 million in the bank.
Go Raps!!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,103
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#13 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 am

That's cool, if he can see the floor, he'll be a better player because of it when he gets back, and he'll have money to top it off.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Ito
General Manager
And1: 796

Post#14 » by Ito » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 am

the best big man since Greg Oden? :|
CircleCitysportsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 81

Post#15 » by CircleCitysportsfan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 am

This is getting (Please Use More Appropriate Word), i have a 6 month old son. I'd like to announce that he will be the first player to play over seas who has not learned to walk yet. Top that ****!
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,538

Post#16 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 am

jokeboy86 wrote:Unfortunately you already know what Stern will do to prevent this from becoming a regular occurrence since he's already hinted it. He's probably going to raise the age limit again.

That would encourage more players to jump to Europe. Since they have to wait longer to get paid.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#17 » by Albanian Damien » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:44 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:^ or live on a beach home in Hawaii with $300 million in the bank.
NBA players spend a ridiculous amount of money. He probably won't have anywhere near that. He'll most likely retire with a few million. However, lack of education means he has less knowledge about what to do to preserve his wealth. Also, once you start spending big its hard to stop so he may keep spending a lot after his retired even if he doesn't have it. There was an article about this exact problem. Basically, NBA players don't keep count of their money. They just think "I have millions I can buy whatever" but they keep spending untill their broke. So while he may make a lot of money this kid is gonna probably be broke by the time hes 45.
My Starting 5:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Patrick Ewing
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:48 am

Albanian Damien wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:^ or live on a beach home in Hawaii with $300 million in the bank.
NBA players spend a ridiculous amount of money. He probably won't have anywhere near that. He'll most likely retire with a few million. However, lack of education means he has less knowledge about what to do to preserve his wealth. Also, once you start spending big its hard to stop so he may keep spending a lot after his retired even if he doesn't have it. There was an article about this exact problem. Basically, NBA players don't keep count of their money. They just think "I have millions I can buy whatever" but they keep spending untill their broke. So while he may make a lot of money this kid is gonna probably be broke by the time hes 45.

a lot of those nba players who spent that ridiculous amount of money went to college. what's the difference?
hire a good accountant and a financial planner.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 945

Post#19 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:50 am

[quote="jokeboy86"Unfortunately you already know what Stern will do to prevent this from becoming a regular occurrence since he's already hinted it. He's probably going to raise the age limit again.[/quote]

I don't see how that's going to stop guys from heading to Europe. If anything it's going to increase the number, because it means getting paid solid money sooner.

It'll be ironic if the Stern raising the age limit actually does more damage to the NCAA because guys decide to jump to Europe because they don't want to wait to get paid.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#20 » by Kobay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:22 am

College is not for everyone.

Return to NBA Draft