Ricky Rubio's best NBA comparison

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Re: Ricky Rubio's best NBA comparison 

Post#81 » by Promezclan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:45 am

The difference is that Kobe has much worse production than Jordan, while Paul has much better production than Kidd.
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#82 » by Fran Vasquez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:52 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Jason Kidd took a team from 26 wins to 52 in one season.
If you were an avid Nets fan or even Suns fan you would know that Jason Kidd literally used to make entire games, if not seasons look like a running youtube highlight video, no exxageration.
The dude is a freak, probably a top 5 point guard of all time.
No amount of stats you can show me can prove otherwise.
He made people around him dramtically better, on defense as well as offense, in the truest sense of that statement, in reality, not as a cliche.
I don't say these things to put down Paul or knock anything he has done so far.
I am not tryi8ng to say that it is impossible for Paul to eventually be considered in the same league as Kidd, but Kidd is up there with the likes of Magic, Robertson, Cousy, Stockton and whatever other all time great, all world point guard you can think of and Paul is not.
I understand Paul hasn't had nearly the chance to prove himself yet, but I also see how he mentally fell apart this season and especailly in the 1st round, bringing his whole team down with him, and even in playoff series he lost, you could never ever say that about Kidd.
Dude is just on a whole nother level.
One of the greatest of all time.
I am not saying it is wrong to compare Paul to Kidd, I mean he is an absolutely great point guard in his own right and you have to compare him to someone else that is better and is considered the top guy, but saying that, "but I do know that Paul is a better player now than Kidd ever was.", is as blatantly ignorant and wrong as saying the same about Kobe compared to Jordan.
It's really that simple.

yet every single draft site compares dudes like channing frye to garnet, i dont see the problem with doing the same kind of thing with euros
You make it look like anybody who compares rubio to kidd its saying he will be as good, when actually most people are comparing styles and potential
you fail again
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#83 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:04 am

Fran Vasquez wrote:
If you were an avid Nets fan or even Suns fan you would know that Jason Kidd literally used to make entire games, if not seasons look like a running youtube highlight video, no exxageration.
He made people around him dramtically better, on defense as well as offense, in the truest sense of that statement, in reality, not as a cliche.
I am not tryi8ng to say that it is impossible for Paul to eventually be considered in the same league as Kidd, but Kidd is up there with the likes of Magic, Robertson, Cousy, Stockton and whatever other all time great, all world point guard you can think of and Paul is not.
I understand Paul hasn't had nearly the chance to prove himself yet, but I also see how he mentally fell apart this season and especailly in the 1st round, bringing his whole team down with him, and even in playoff series he lost, you could never ever say that about Kidd.
I am not saying it is wrong to compare Paul to Kidd, I mean he is an absolutely great point guard in his own right and you have to compare him to someone else that is better and is considered the top guy, but saying that, "but I do know that Paul is a better player now than Kidd ever was.", is as blatantly ignorant and wrong as saying the same about Kobe compared to Jordan.
It's really that simple.

yet every single draft site compares dudes like channing frye to garnet, i dont see the problem with doing the same kind of thing with euros
You make it look like anybody who compares rubio to kidd its saying he will be as good, when actually most people are comparing styles and potential
you fail again

Is there any reason that you insist on coming to this board to do nothing more then slob Rubio's knob, misquote other posters, take them out of context, start a flame war and ignore facts?

Reading comprehension is this crazy new concept in the English speaking world.
I specifically said in a couple prior posts that I can understand just comparing Rubio to a guy like Kidd or Nash for playing style, but it is a little crazy when they compare them skills wise, talent wise and going as far as saying he will be that good.
Also, you are quoting a post that wasn't even relating to Rubio at all, it was from a debate me and another poster were/possibly still are having of comparing Kidd and Chris Paul. In fact, the post you quoted doesn't even mention Ricky Rubio once, if I am correct.

Everything on the NBA Draft Board is not about Rubio, the world does not revolve around one international prospect that just happens to be from Spain.

Also when mock draft sites do things like compare Channing Frye to Garnett, knowledgable posters, sometimes including myself clown these sites for it.
There is no conspiracy that is strictly against Rubio, but I guess you wouldn't know that, because you ignore the rest of the NBA Draft Board on RealGM, because you are here to strictly fulfill your pathedic agenda.
I take it your listed location refers to you completing the 9th grade.

Sir, you fail.

PS - Let me know if you feel the need to continue being owned...
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,969

Post#84 » by Optms » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Many fans of the NBA haven't seen the Steve Nash of the Dallas Mavericks. Dirk, Nash, Finley was the Fab 3 before the Fab 3. The Sacramento Kings and then the La Lakers were simply better.

I'd take a 20 PPG, 8 APG PG ANYDAY. People try to discredit Steve Nash by saying it's the system. But the same thing goes for D'Antoni, they try to discredit him by saying it was Steve Nash.

Here's the simple, unedited truth: They needed each other. Do you think Shaq wins 4 NBA titles without Kobe, D-Wade at his side? Do you think Phil wins 10 without Shaq, Kobe, Pao, Bynum?

Does that discredit Shaq, the greatest center ever to play the game? Hell no, he's Shaq Daddy for a reason. He's that damn good. Does that discredit Kobe Bryant, the best player in the NBA right now? No it doesn't, he's already shut that criticism up by winning a title as the go-to-guy for the Lakers. And it's likely he'll win more then Shaq.

Steve Nash is an ELITE Point Guard. One of the best, he was just fine in Dallas averaging 20/8. But he made Phoenix. He transformed Diaw, then a scrub into a 15/5/5 Forward. He's the same guy that won 46 games with Grant Hill, Louis Amundson and Jared Dudley as his main rotation bigs.

Not only is he and Rubio not close, but if Rubio even begins to smell Steve Nash's career, he'd have proven me wrong upon there. Nash is a HOF PG.

Whether the numbers jump at you or not. Nash is a winner, he's one of the most dominate PG'S ever to grace the court.

Steve Nash a 20 and 8 guy with Dallas? First off Steve Nash never once in his career has averaged 19 ppg. And if you want to talk about averages with Dallas overall, think more along the lines of 14 ppg and 7 assist. Hardly elite level.

One of the most dominant? He's only been "dominant" in terms of the top point guards in the league these last 4, 5 years with Phoenix and last year wasn't even that great of a year for him to begin with for you to rank him as "All-time" point guards.

If he had to retired today. His numbers would go in the books as 14 ppg, 8.0 apg, 50% FG, 43.9% 3pt. Hardly all time great numbers among the numbers in my opinion. The only real stat and accomplishment that sticks out with Steve Nash is his first 4 ridiculous years with Phoenix, two MVP's. His high free throw percentage and above average shooting percentages from the field. He'll need to play at least 2 more years of outstanding play like he's had with Phoenix. Win either one more MVP or a championship to even be a lock for the Hall of fame.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#85 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:24 pm

I am not a huge Nash fan, and a lot of it has to do with the heated debates that raged on comparing him and Jason Kidd. I also don't necessarily consider him one of the true all time greats, but a extremely solid overall career, just littered with playoff appearances since day one, combined with 2 consecutive league MVP awards pretty much wraps up a HOF lock for any player, so let's not get too cute with stats and try to demean his career and belittle his accomplishments because his 1st 3 years or so dramatically bring down his career averages. wink :wink:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#86 » by Joana » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:56 pm

I had no idea that ACB had such a huge following out of Spain.

Or why people spend so much time writing about and discussing players they've barely seen playing.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#87 » by yehyeh82 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Comparing Kidd's production to Paul's is like comparing apples and oranges. Kidd's prime also happened to occur in an era of hand-checking and slow-down ball. If Kidd was in his prime during this era, with wide open offense and faster-paced games, he would be putting up crazy production. Paul is good, but he hasn't reached the dominance of prime Kidd yet.
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#88 » by Fran Vasquez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:45 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Fran Vasquez wrote:
It's really that simple.

you fail again

Is there any reason that you insist on coming to this board to do nothing more then slob Rubio's knob, misquote other posters, take them out of context, start a flame war and ignore facts?

Reading comprehension is this crazy new concept in the English speaking world.
I specifically said in a couple prior posts that I can understand just comparing Rubio to a guy like Kidd or Nash for playing style, but it is a little crazy when they compare them skills wise, talent wise and going as far as saying he will be that good.
Also, you are quoting a post that wasn't even relating to Rubio at all, it was from a debate me and another poster were/possibly still are having of comparing Kidd and Chris Paul. In fact, the post you quoted doesn't even mention Ricky Rubio once, if I am correct.

Everything on the NBA Draft Board is not about Rubio, the world does not revolve around one international prospect that just happens to be from Spain.

Also when mock draft sites do things like compare Channing Frye to Garnett, knowledgable posters, sometimes including myself clown these sites for it.
There is no conspiracy that is strictly against Rubio, but I guess you wouldn't know that, because you ignore the rest of the NBA Draft Board on RealGM, because you are here to strictly fulfill your pathedic agenda.
I take it your listed location refers to you completing the 9th grade.

Sir, you fail.

PS - Let me know if you feel the need to continue being owned...

nah im just trolling you, i dont even read your whole posts if they are longer than 4 lines
But you deserve it since every single 4 line post of you has been hater material, so its kinda fine to me.
PS, i dont really care about rubio, or any other player in the draft
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#89 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:00 pm

There are hater comments because Ricky Rubio is the next Kwame Brown. Brown dominated High School, then entered the draft. People compared him to KG. But he didn't have KG'S smarts or fundamentals, so he ended up being a bust.

Later in his career, he developed into a solid low post player.

If I were Rubio, I'd consider gping to an NCAA college instead of the NBA if he wants to avoid being the next Kwame Brown.

I rate Maynor and Lawson as much higher prospects then Rubio because of the competition they faced.
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#90 » by JustMagic » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:There are hater comments because Ricky Rubio is the next Kwame Brown. Brown dominated High School, then entered the draft. People compared him to KG. But he didn't have KG'S smarts or fundamentals, so he ended up being a bust.

If I were Rubio, I'd consider gping to an NCAA college instead of the NBA if he wants to avoid being the next Kwame Brown.

I rate Maynor and Lawson as much higher prospects then Rubio because of the competition they faced.

Is it a joke?!
I sure hope so...
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#91 » by KWSN-Men » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Joana wrote:I had no idea that ACB had such a huge following out of Spain.

Or why people spend so much time writing about and discussing players they've barely seen playing.

The ACB has almost as much hype and marketing as the NBA does. Remember it is the ACB board that controls ULEB. They are almost as bad as Stern is in generating hype. NBA fans buy into this stuff, just like they buy into NBA hype. Then they expected Rudy Fernandez to come in and be some great player because they believed all they hype and nonsense marketing that the ACB does.

Now, the ACB's most hyped player ever comes along in Rubio and the NBA fans are scoffing at it. Of course it is made worse by the NBA's and ESPN's hype and nonsense marketing of "the Euroleague is nothing compared to the NBA", "European players are all slow, nonathletic, weak, and don't play any defense", "the NBA is still light years ahead of the Euroleague in basketball level", etc.

Did you actually expect the average fan to base their opinions on watching games?

Most fans here base their opinions on what NBAdraft.net said, what Draftexpress.com said, what ESPN said, what in game announcers say, Youtube clips, etc. There is obviously not even the smallest ounce of respect for those that base their views on watching games. In fact, those types of members seem to be looked down upon with disdain.
M.Balla
Senior
And1: 0

Post#92 » by M.Balla » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Dedicated_76ers... why do you have so much hate against Rubio when it's crystal clear on your comments you haven't seen him play at all? Maynor? RUFKM?

I standy by my comparison, I'm from Spain, yes, I've watched Rubio a lot, and the Nash/Rondo mix it's a matching comparison IMO (and in fact, outlines his weaknesses just as his strengths). I'm not saying that he's going to be as good as those two right away, maybe never ever, but to me comparisons are a "style meet potential" thing. That's why you have a Garnett every year, or a Deshawn "MJ" Stevenson.

I don't think he's going to dominate in his rookie year, mainly because, he would need to adapt to the NBA game and gain some strength, and to boot, barring a trade, he won't have the tools a player like him needs around. But he should show glimpses, and I believe he's going to be one hell of a player.

But there's something that I haven't seen anyone acknowledge yet, and got me a little nervous, and that's injuries. Last two years he have suffered different degree injuries, maybe they're just freaky and uncorrelated ones, but I'm surprised it hasn't been a (small) question mark around the league
kerfuc wrote:
acekinglaker wrote:Spain by 31

ahahaha you are funny!i see your basketball knowledge
robbe
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#93 » by robbe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:There are hater comments because Ricky Rubio is the next Kwame Brown. Brown dominated High School, then entered the draft. People compared him to KG. But he didn't have KG'S smarts or fundamentals, so he ended up being a bust.

This is the most unqualified post I have read in a long time.

May god have mercy on your soul.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#94 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:58 am

M.Balla wrote:But there's something that I haven't seen anyone acknowledge yet, and got me a little nervous, and that's injuries. Last two years he have suffered different degree injuries, maybe they're just freaky and uncorrelated ones, but I'm surprised it hasn't been a (small) question mark around the league

I have mentioned it a couple times, in a normal respectful manner no less. I was flamed, labeled a "hater", told I didn't know what I was talking about, said I needed to check my facts, etc., etc.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#95 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Because 75 percent of Europe/Spain wouldn't make an NBA Roster, let alone compete. Playing against scrubs does NOTHING to elevate your competition. For Manu Ginobili, would he rather play overseas or in the NBA. The NBA, because there are players at his level.

Same for Parker. He could look like Rubio too if he played 2nd/3rd string scrubbies.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#96 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Same for Parker. He could look like Rubio too if he played 2nd/3rd string scrubbies.

What are you talking about he could look like Rubio too?
Dude's like the 3rd or 4th best point guard in the NBA. I don't know where you're going with this?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,552

Post#97 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Are there two prospects different than Rubio and Kwame Brown? I don't think so. Congrats on making the worst comparison of this draft year
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#98 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Because 75 percent of Europe/Spain wouldn't make an NBA Roster, let alone compete. Playing against scrubs does NOTHING to elevate your competition. For Manu Ginobili, would he rather play overseas or in the NBA. The NBA, because there are players at his level.

Same for Parker. He could look like Rubio too if he played 2nd/3rd string scrubbies.

Rubio, Pargo, Childress, Jennings all of them struggle at the Euroleague level, especially Pargo, Rubio, and Jennings who have all been the definition of SCRUB in the Euroleague. At least Childress has been a solid role player type guy at that level. Yet the NBA teams all want them. Seems there is a huge flaw in your logic.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#99 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:07 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Same for Parker. He could look like Rubio too if he played 2nd/3rd string scrubbies.

What are you talking about he could look like Rubio too?
Dude's like the 3rd or 4th best point guard in the NBA. I don't know where you're going with this?

He's probably never watched a European basketball game. He is under the impression that Rubio is Jordan in Europe. He is unaware that he's not even a top 20 player in Europe. He assumes that Parker in Europe would = Rubio in Europe because he assumes that any European player being talked about going lotto in the draft must be "dominating all those SCRUB Euros".

His paradigm would be destroyed if he actually came to learn that Rubio is not even among the best players in Europe.
sorokii
Junior
And1: 32

Post#100 » by sorokii » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 am

For those who match Rubio and Rondo, look at the top 2 assists and tell us if Rondo can do that

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1964
da da da da daaaaaa...

Return to NBA Draft