France men's national basketball team PARIS 2024 Olympics

Moderator: G R E Y

JABRoy
Ballboy
And1: 6

France men's national basketball team PARIS 2024 Olympics 

Post#1 » by JABRoy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 am

Hi everyone,
maybe this is the right place because Wembanyama will participate with great ambitions (he’s aiming for gold but the United States are clearly the favourites..).

What do you think would be the best French National Team for PARIS 2024?

My expanded roster…

POINT GUARD
S.Francisco ‘97 euroleague
E.Okobo ‘97 euroleague
T.Huertel ‘89 russian league *
K.Hayes ‘01 nba
F.Ntilikina ‘98 nba
T.Maledon ‘01 nba

*He’s actually banned by French Basketball Federation because he’s playing for a Russian team but Tony Parker and Boris Diaw are working behind the lines… He still is the best French point guard..

COMBO GUARD
N.De Colo ‘87 euroleague

GUARD/FORWARD
E.Fournier ‘92 nba
B.Coulibaly ‘04 nba
M.Cazalon ‘01 g-league
R.Rupert ‘04 g-league
S.Sissoko ‘04 g-league

FORWARD
G.Yabusele ‘95 euroleague
T.Luwawu-Cabarrot ‘95 euroleague
N.Batum ‘88 nba
O.Dieng ‘03 nba

FORWARD/CENTRE
V.Wembanyama ‘04 nba

CENTRE
R.Gobert ‘92 nba
V.Poirier ‘93 euroleague
M.Lessort ‘95 euroleague
M.Diabate ‘02 g-league
O.Sarr ‘99 nba

My personal dream..

STARTING LINEUP
Hayes**;Fournier;Yabusele;Wemby;Gobert

**My personal dream would be for him to make a leap in a NBA team between now and the end of the season. He has the age, physique and talent to make a leap!

BENCH
Huertel*;DeColo;Coulibaly;Batum;L.Cabarrot;
Poirier;

PLUS ONE OF THESE depending on the remaining needs of the roster
Maledon; Francisco; Okobo; Cazalon;Dieng;
Diabate; Sarr; Raynaud (Stanford):

TOO IMMATURE
A.Bal (Santa Clara); R.Rupert; S.Sissoko; Risacher; A.Sarr; Salaun
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,282

Re: France men's national basketball team PARIS 2024 Olympics 

Post#2 » by imagump1313 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:35 pm

JABRoy wrote:Hi everyone,
maybe this is the right place because Wembanyama will participate with great ambitions (he’s aiming for gold but the United States are clearly the favourites..).

My expanded roster…

POINT GUARD
E.Okobo ‘97 euroleague
K.Hayes ‘01 nba
F.Ntilikina ‘98 nba
T.Maledon ‘01 nba

*He’s actually banned by French Basketball Federation because he’s playing for a Russian team but Tony Parker and Boris Diaw are working behind the lines… He still is the best French point guard..

COMBO GUARD
N.De Colo ‘87 euroleague

GUARD/FORWARD
E.Fournier ‘92 nba
B.Coulibaly ‘04 nba
M.Cazalon ‘01 g-league
R.Rupert ‘04 g-league
S.Sissoko ‘04 g-league

FORWARD
N.Batum ‘88 nba
O.Dieng ‘03 nba

FORWARD/CENTRE
V.Wembanyama ‘04 nba

CENTRE
R.Gobert ‘92 nba
V.Poirier ‘93 euroleague
M.Lessort ‘95 euroleague
M.Diabate ‘02 g-league
O.Sarr ‘99 nba

My personal dream..

STARTING LINEUP

**My personal dream would be for him to make a leap in a NBA team between now and the end of the season. He has the age, physique and talent to make a leap!

BENCH
Poirier;

TOO IMMATURE

I'm not big on French basketball besides Wemby.

We are excited to see more of Sissoko here though.
Do you think he is too young or just immature?

I didn't even think De Colo was even playing anymore.
I liked Fournier and Batum as players but they both seem pretty washed up as NBA players.
Hayes is a mess over here(maybe he plays better internationally) but if he's your best PG there is no way you are winning a gold.
Diabate I remember from Michigan. He is definitely talented but its way too early to tell what kind of player he will be.
I think Ntilikina is your best bet at PG if you cant get Huertel but I'll admit im not an expert on some of the other players you mention. Most of my experience with these players are from the NBA or college.
JABRoy
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#3 » by JABRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 8:10 am

Do you think Nolan Traore could have a chance considering the national team's lack of point guards?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,331

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Tue May 14, 2024 2:14 pm

JABRoy wrote:Do you think Nolan Traore could have a chance considering the national team's lack of point guards?

Hello and welcome! Good thread, and thanks for your insights. Have to think about this some more and look into some players beyond the most known and obvious names, but my sense is that there's a delicate balance and a transition that has to be mixed the right way with the French team.

On the one hand, the seasoned vets are crucial for experience at the highest level, on the other, they are getting onto the downhill side of their careers so the infusion of younger talent is important. Luckily for France there's a lot of it.

It will be about the right combinations and about considering matching up against the top competition.

I'm not convinced Hayes the mercurial turnover machine is the right lead guard but if he can show well in the Olympics then he may yet resurrect his NBA career. I'd rather he not be in that lead role and if Huertel can be reinstated that will be huge for France.

I'd love to see what Traore can show as well.

I would not discount what Sidy brings defensively. He's big, mobile, and relentless. He is also a savvy passer with impressive court vision. He wouldn't need to score but is valuable to hound opponents in multiple positions on D.

Bilal over Ryan, certainly. Yes to Evan and Nic. And TLC. Agree that this may not yet be Risacher's time but he can always go ahead and take that leap and prove me wrong.

Of course Wemby and Gobert are automatic locks, have to think about the rest of the bigs. It will be interesting to see Wemby's and Sarr's interactions, if the latter feels the need to one up his countryman. They are the future and need to get along on the NT. Not worried about a mature approach from Wemby at all. Sarr is TBD...

Have to think about starting 1,2,3 alongside Wemby and Rudy... Good depth and versatility options for the French team.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 659

Post#5 » by remi_222 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:20 am

JABRoy wrote:Hi everyone,

My expanded roster…

POINT GUARD
E.Okobo ‘97 euroleague
K.Hayes ‘01 nba
F.Ntilikina ‘98 nba
T.Maledon ‘01 nba

COMBO GUARD
N.De Colo ‘87 euroleague

GUARD/FORWARD
E.Fournier ‘92 nba
B.Coulibaly ‘04 nba
M.Cazalon ‘01 g-league
R.Rupert ‘04 g-league
S.Sissoko ‘04 g-league

FORWARD
N.Batum ‘88 nba
O.Dieng ‘03 nba

FORWARD/CENTRE
V.Wembanyama ‘04 nba

CENTRE
R.Gobert ‘92 nba
V.Poirier ‘93 euroleague
M.Lessort ‘95 euroleague
M.Diabate ‘02 g-league
O.Sarr ‘99 nba

My personal dream..

STARTING LINEUP

BENCH
Poirier;

TOO IMMATURE

The roster will probably be :

PG :
- Albicy : perfect organizer, this team needs a brain at PG, a team player. he never disapointed
- Ntilikina : even without having a teamnow, he's practicing in France, plus he has a great relationship with coach Collet, tough defensive player we'll need him also cuz he can play alongside everybody since he can play 1 to 3.

SF :
- Fournier : so happy he went out of NYC and could play, he'll have a diff role with Wemby there but will remain a big off leader ! Less attention will bring him more space !
- De Colo : Despite his age, he can play 1-2, bring the ball up and have his usual vista here and there, always good to have experience !!

SF :
- Batum : Last yr or not, he proved again his value this year, being the perfect glue guy that he is, remaining a great defensive player (even more in FIBA setup) he will be great !!!! Can also play 4, which is such a great advantage
- Coulibaly : the rookie of this campaign ! he will shine, whatever role he'll get he'll do it ! Such an amazing defensive player, he'll grow throughout the competition for sure ! Cant wait to see him witht the french jersey on !!!!!
- Luwawu Cabarrot : Being the 3 and D that we need in some sequences (like in the Tokyo olympics) would be ideal ! he lowered his ego to now understand what he needs to do !

PF :
- Wembanyama : y'all know everything by now
- Yabusele : Perfect combo to play with Gobert or Wemby ! So energetic, he played once again a great role in the Real Madrid's awesome season ! And, KD hates him.
- Lessort : A Bowl of Violence, Aggressivity and Toughness !!! first team Euroleague this season, he's rage itself !!!!

C :
- Gobert : Y'all know everything abt him as well
- Poirier : Already a perfect fit with his teammate Yabusele at Real Madrid, he will be perfect for the 2nd string to rest either Wemby or Gobert. Great rim protector and roller to the basket !!

In ballot :
- PG : Sylvain Francisco (wt De Colo) : young PG, wild dribbler and flashy player, very aggressive on defense, also not very experienced despite a very good first season with Bayern Munich in Eurolegue this year
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Thu May 16, 2024 5:09 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Thu May 16, 2024 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter

I hope Sidy can still somehow be included but strong team nonetheless.

p.s. Wemby Muse on Twitter pointed out that neither Risacher nor Sarr are on the list. Hmmm.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by remi_222 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:04 am

JABRoy wrote:Do you think Nolan Traore could have a chance considering the national team's lack of point guards?

Too young, he needs to grow. It's the Olympics in Paris, big big stage, he was playing in division 3 a few months ago ...
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by remi_222 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:08 am

G R E Y wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope Sidy can still somehow be included but strong team nonetheless.

p.s. Wemby Muse on Twitter pointed out that neither Risacher nor Sarr are on the list. Hmmm.

Same thing as Traoré. Too early, they never played with NT (Risacher once). It's a reward for those who have been playing for years to play this summer.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 641

Post#10 » by Fundamentals21 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:33 am

The Evan Fournier pick isn't all that. I saw the French team rely on him quite a bit, but the gameplan needs to be better. Gobert/Wemby OTOH looks like a sick front court.
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by remi_222 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:01 pm

Fundamentals21 wrote:The Evan Fournier pick isn't all that. I saw the French team rely on him quite a bit, but the gameplan needs to be better. Gobert/Wemby OTOH looks like a sick front court.

The biggest upside is actually for him ! There was nobody else able to create its own shot by himself, thats why we relied on him so much. Now there are Wemby, Gobert, Lessort and Yabusele whcih offers way more opportunities ... we just need a good point guard able to pass the ball at the right time. But clearly having Wemby taking so much space will give more time and space to Evan ! He'll still be our guy
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by remi_222 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:06 pm

Killan Hayes and Ousmane Dieng have a nice card to play ... the defense of Hayes and the size+ versatility of Dieng can be huge for us !!!

PG : Ntilikina, Albicy, Hayes
SG : Fournier, Coulibaly
SF : Batum, Coulibaly, Dieng
PF : Wembanyama, Yabusele
C : Gobert, Lessort

It would means De Colo out, Poirier out

Return to San Antonio Spurs