interest in Joe smith?

Moderator: G R E Y

dflaschberger
Analyst
And1: 0

interest in Joe smith? 

Post#1 » by dflaschberger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:53 pm

I see you guys are not playing your best. How about Joe SMith? I think you guys could use a player like him:

-great locker room/community guy (important for you)
-plays smart, solid D
-Great 18 footer, good on offense
-reasonable deal

The west looks so tough; I want the bulls to send him out to give TThomas minutes. Therefore

smith for BBarry and rights to splitter

You guys are in "win now" mode, of course. he can cover Dirk and Amare, plus guys like boozer and DWest

barry is out and splitter is at least a year away
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#2 » by UDRIH14 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:59 pm

for splitter? no thanks

spurs are high on splitter and his contract is nothing compared to josh smith once his contract is over, he be seekn around 10m+ per year, which i think the spurs could not afford....

spurs got a good pick in splitter and he fell down to the spurs, its not every now and then you get a good big ready to come in, since the spurs would need to retool in areas lacking production...
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#3 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:40 pm

I like Joe Smith, but not for that package.

dflaschberger wrote:You guys are in "win now" mode, of course. he can cover Dirk and Amare, plus guys like boozer and DWest

Yes.

But that's what Elson's for (and has already proven to defend Dirk quite effectively), he just hasn't been playing much lately because he just came back from injury, and Pop wants to get Horry more minutes. Which he needs, too.

That's what Splitter will be for eventually, too.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
ss1986v2
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#4 » by ss1986v2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:05 pm

im not an elson fan, and have never liked how hes played on the team (never got why he gets praised for guarding dirk. dirk just rises up and shoots over him, same as anyone else guarding him).

and id love to have a player like joe smith. but joe smith isnt going to net the bulls a first round pick (which is what splitter is). i doubt you will find many teams that are offering expirings + 1st round pick for joe smith.
Stupidity Should be Painful!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,494

Post#5 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:13 pm

I like Smith but not for Splitter. I think Elson and filler for him works.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#6 » by dflaschberger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 pm

he has been playing GREAT recently-I think the west is so tight he would be worth it. If not splitter, how about your #1 next season?
LyMinh
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#7 » by LyMinh » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Wow, if we do this trade, we can tie the Nuggets for having the most players on the roster who were numbers 1 picks.

Rasho+Udrih+Picks+Del Negro+Jessica Simpson
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#8 » by co_laper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:04 am

If we're talking about Josh Smith like Udrih14 thought, **** yeah!!! Do this deal!

But no for Joe Smith. especially not for Tiaggo Splitter. I think of all the big men that we have overseas, Tiaggo is the most promising. I would trade for Joe if it involves Elson or Bonner as the main piece.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#9 » by Ballings7 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:05 am

Joe Smith would definitely be a nice fit on this team, just not for Splitter!
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,494

Post#10 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:25 am

I think what is sad is that Joe Smith has been the Bulls best player for several games... he shouldn't be in that situation.
Tribbiani
Freshman

Post#11 » by Tribbiani » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 am

Nop,but I was thinking in Damon Stoudamire.

Respectable D,good shoot from downtown.
He
lukeridenour
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by lukeridenour » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 pm

youre absolutely right, the spurs are in a win now mode.

however, unlike most francises the spurs like to build for the future at the same time. so joe smith for barry + elson maybe, splitter for any super veteran role is impossible.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#13 » by dflaschberger » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I didn't think Splitter was held that high, since he went #28 or whatever. I've never seen him play, just highlites. He looks solid-like a nice 3rd big. Maybe he will be better?

If not that, then we could go for a #1 pick with a lot of protection on it.
Here's how I figure. IF we want to move Joe Smith, we could send him out West. There are A LOT of teams in contention that could use him, so we could start a bidding war. SA is my favorite team our West; I'd love to see him there, and help you win another title or two. He's not that old, I think 32.

GS, Suns, Dallas, Lakers, NO and Denver could all use him.
johnnyjohnnyjohnny
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by johnnyjohnnyjohnny » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Joe Smith is arguably the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th best player on a bad team? Plus, Joe Smith is what... 32 or 33 years old?

That's not #1 draft pick worthy by any stretch.
*** Having a NICE NAVY DAY ***
ss1986v2
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by ss1986v2 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 pm

dflaschberger wrote:I didn't think Splitter was held that high, since he went #28 or whatever. I've never seen him play, just highlites. He looks solid-like a nice 3rd big. Maybe he will be better?

splitter was considered by some to be a lock for the lottery (and potentially top 10). the problem was his contract. this year (and for several years previous) he had a massive buyout on his contract, which caused him to declare and withdraw several times (couldnt get a guaranteed lottery slot). he was finally automatically eligible in 2007. draftexpress.com had him at 21 in their mock because of the buyout issue. and nbadraft.net figured it would push him into the late teens, early 20s. but he ended up falling even further, all the way down to the spurs.

but this next year, the buyout is only 1 mil, which is very doable as far as buyouts go. and the spurs are probably glad they get to stash him for a year anyway, when you consider their current financial situation (just now under the tax line by less than 100k or so). and with horry and elson on the way out, and ian still a while away, he looks to potentially step right into a rotation spot.

i cant see the spurs giving him away unless the package they are getting back is worth it. check out his profile on draftexpress.com to see why spurs fans are so high on this guy.
Stupidity Should be Painful!

Return to San Antonio Spurs