Don't you hate afternoon games? Spurs vs C's...

Moderator: G R E Y

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#21 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Very nice win by Boston...

Big Baby played a strong game, and continues to impress, but I'm not sold on him for the playoffs, as a whole.

Boston won with more energy than us, indeed

Intrigued for the game in SA
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#22 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:07 pm

I definitely agree Oberto and Elson don't cut it, but Ben Wallace's contract doesn't belong on this team..we could get someone for cheaper..

Horry should have played more down the stretch..our rebounding is obviously poor when it's Duncan and 4 perimeter players..

Duncan needs to start trying harder defensively..strange to say, but he needs to rotate better..part of the reason his shot-blocking has been down this year..Ginobili has lost a step defensively, Finley can't guard anyone(although his offense has been much better lately)..

if we make our open shots, we probably win this game..

Ginobili kept us in early, but he hurt us at the end..he's too out of control sometimes..Parker being out makes me realize that Ginobili can't be a #1 or even a #2 scoring option on a championship team..Parker has become better, and we really need him now..

Duncan sets the slow-paced tempo, but we need Parker to give us the fast paced tempo sometimes..
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by P2 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:09 pm

Magz50 wrote:Of course I'd rather see them with KG and us with Parker and barry. Let's hope we get to see both teams at full strength next time.

We were also playing without our starting Center, Kendrick Perkins, and our backup Center, Scot Pollard. We missed our two best defensive players (KG, Perk), yet we won the game by a great defensive effort. Isn't it ironic?
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#24 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:40 pm

P2 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We were also playing without our starting Center, Kendrick Perkins, and our backup Center, Scot Pollard. We missed our two best defensive players (KG, Perk), yet we won the game by a great defensive effort. Isn't it ironic?

Scot Pollard :rofl:

Perkins doesn't make a difference in today's game, since Big Baby played a solid game for 30 minutes..KG is always a difference maker, but Parker obviously is too..

Boston is a great defensive team either way..it's not going to change anything if these teams play IMO..it'll come down to the end, and making shots and good decisions will be the difference..
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#25 » by SD2042 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 pm

The Celts energy definately had the upper hand on the Spurs today. I had an odd feeling from the second half that the Spurs didn't have enough energy to keep up with the Celts young guns. Also, the key players like Pierce 33pts and the Celts getting second chance rebounding and points led to the Spurs getting outplayed on defense to which led to today's loss. This game loss here proves that a couple of upgrades are needed to keep the Spurs fresh on the roster and keep their chances to repeat as champs in distance.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,494

Post#26 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 pm

No kidding SD2042... they played with more energy. At the end of the day that was the difference. They just played better. I don't want to give excuses that we are hurt. They wanted it more and got the deserved W. We are an old team and it is going to happen sometimes that we just don't have the legs. The only guys who play balls out. 100% of the time are Manu and Duncan for us. I think that is why we have to make a trade. We have to get an injection of youth. I don't know maybe we are pacing ourselves but if there was ever a game that we should play with more energy it should be a game on national TV. I know Parker will help us alot when he comes back but we still need something if we want to repeat.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#27 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 pm

I disagree on the trades, I think only one upgrade, and even if not the Spurs are still legit contenders. But, two trades? Wow, I don't see that happening at all, and actually won't be that surprised if any do.

Also have to remember this is the regular season, in the middle of a long road-trip, and the playoffs are a different situation. The play, focus, and preparation level is increased there.

Regardless of Boston (who had KG and Perkins out), Tony Parker and Brent Barry weren't playing today, either. Between the two teams, I still like us in a playoff series. The experience and depth of the Spurs is better.

For San Antonio in general, these things can't be overlooked.

I think a little too much is being made out of the loss. It's not like how they played today will be similar in the playoffs. Or for most of the rest of the season. The specifics of the loss aren't relevant to the playoffs, and what the approach and level of play is there.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#28 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Ballings, you're always a smart poster and knowledgeable, but you are too optimistic sometimes..we have significant flaws on this team..not major ones, but minor ones..

Bowen can't play big minutes anymore, he's lost a step..we need to keep him at around 25 minutes per game..Ginobili has lost a step defensively..we need to either make a trade for a younger perimeter player that can shoot and play decent D, OR get an athletic big that can block shots and finish..

we are a contender either way..but can we really win 3 tough playoff series, and then expect to beat either Boston or Detroit, who will be coming off 2 series, since the 1st one will most likely be a sweep for both teams?..
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#29 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 pm

It just sucks that Saliabrine made a Kareem Jumphook vs us.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#30 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm

HH37 wrote:Ballings, you're always a smart poster and knowledgeable, but you are too optimistic sometimes..we have significant flaws on this team..not major ones, but minor ones..

Bowen can't play big minutes anymore, he's lost a step..we need to keep him at around 25 minutes per game..Ginobili has lost a step defensively..we need to either make a trade for a younger perimeter player that can shoot and play decent D, OR get an athletic big that can block shots and finish..

we are a contender either way..but can we really win 3 tough playoff series, and then expect to beat either Boston or Detroit, who will be coming off 2 series, since the 1st one will most likely be a sweep for both teams?..

I don't think I'm too optmistic. I'm just not having a limited perspective based off the regular season, and not having a near-full-strength team, almost all season. I know we have minor flaws.

Like I've said a couple times before, if things are looking iffy in the spring, then I'll get worried about how we'll go in the playoffs. But even so at the same time, I'm not just going to say our chances aren't significant for the playoffs. Like basically writing the team off (not saying you are/would be doing that, but just explaining how I'd be).

We just disagree some then.

Also, I've acknowledged multiple times that we could legitimately use an upragde at PF/C or at SG/SF. So, you're overlooking or forgetting that. I just referenced to it again in my previous post, as well.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by SD2042 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:58 pm

I saw that shot. :lol: It had some Kareem-sque reminder to it.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#32 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:59 pm

SD2042 wrote:I saw that shot. :lol: It had some Kareem-sque reminder to it.

I knew right there and then we lost the game...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#33 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I spit on the ground after that shot..but he HAD to make one..he was bricking everything else..

hopefully we can take care of Toronto and Cleveland..6-3 on the road trip is good..
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#34 » by SD2042 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:13 pm

It was Big Baby Davis that predicted the loss for me. The way he slipped in the post and grabbed those rebounds to either rebound off the Spurs miss or giving the Celts a chance on gaining second chance points.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#35 » by Ballings7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 pm

HH37 wrote:hopefully we can take care of Toronto and Cleveland..6-3 on the road trip is good..

Yeah, I thought before the trip we'd do decent.
Rique
Senior
And1: 0

Post#36 » by Rique » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:30 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:
Ginobili kept us in early, but he hurt us at the end..he's too out of control sometimes..Parker being out makes me realize that Ginobili can't be a #1 or even a #2 scoring option on a championship team..Parker has become better, and we really need him now..

Duncan sets the slow-paced tempo, but we need Parker to give us the fast paced tempo sometimes..

I was really peeved at the last two plays by Ginobili. He tried pulling a Chauncy Billups and drawing a foul on a shot and ended up taking a wild shot and got nothing. Why not go for a good three. Pull up and square up with the basket. Stop trying to draw a foul. The intensity was not completely there. Boston showed more intensity during this game. Big Baby definitely annoyed Duncan a bit, but Duncan was fine. He does need to focus a bit more. Spurs had some really sloppy turnovers. Bad passes that not even a high schooler would try. Bad caretaking of the ball that would have a high school coach screaming obsenities at his kids.

Again, rebounding killed us down the stretch. This team does lack in the rebounding department.
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#37 » by cfan79 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Great game guys, you still have the best team in the West when healthy. No offense, but we were at a bigger disadvantage with KG, Perk and Pollard out.

Good luck in the future
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#38 » by DorfonCeltics » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:32 pm

I was at the game yesterday and it was probably the best home game of the year, closing beating out the last second loss to Detroit in December. It was a very exciting game over all. Once you guys get Parker and Barry back you'll be right back atop the West. It's not like you don't already know but Manu is a friggen stud. I just love his game all around but he did take a few boneheaded shots at the end of the game. TD was his usual great self but you could see that Baby was frustrating him. What's up with Bowen? It seems like his game has fallen off a bit even from last year. I didn't think his defense was all that good and he missed a few threes from the corner which he usually makes. I can't wait for the rematch on March 17th. Good luck the rest of the way!

Return to San Antonio Spurs