SPURS 2024 DRAFT THREAD

Moderator: G R E Y

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Re: SPURS 2024 DRAFT THREAD 

Post#41 » by Baphomet » Sun May 12, 2024 9:12 pm

Really happy with this outcome, very close to being a perfect one as Grey noted.

Having both picks increases our chances of getting Topic exponentially, assuming the team is interested in him, as they should be.
Rustyman
Junior
And1: 320

Post#42 » by Rustyman » Sun May 12, 2024 11:45 pm

Baphomet wrote:Really happy with this outcome, very close to being a perfect one as Grey noted.

Having both picks increases our chances of getting Topic exponentially, assuming the team is interested in him, as they should be.

Agree, this now puts us into the building phase with these picks rather than trading to improve. We draft a PG and a Wing and I think we are good. Second round is a couple of flyers to fill in the two way spots.

Unless we can get KD at a reasonable cost, I am not interested in Trae, Dejounte, Klay, et.al. as they either don't move the needle, are too old, or potential chemistry issues.

The only trade I am interested in is if the Hawks select Sarr, then I think we ask the Wizards if they are willing to trade down, for Risacher, otherwise, we should stay put.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,282

Post#43 » by imagump1313 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:35 am

OMG Detroit is soo mad at us right now, LOL.

The only thing that makes me nervous is Houston. People are saying they are taking the Uconn center but why would they do that when the have a stud like Sengun? They might be the one that takes Topic from us.

I dont even know if the Spurs want Topic so I guess we will wait and see. At least we have options with either pick now.
mzfk69
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#44 » by mzfk69 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:27 am

imagump1313 wrote:
mzfk69 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Topic size is legit even factoring in the long neck:

Read on Twitter

I hope we get him.

r u sure that Wemby needs true point guard?
maybe a scoring first guard like Jamal Murray or Tyrese Maxey would be a better fit with our franchise player

Well, we have a scoring first guard in Vassell and he seems to take away from the effectiveness of Wemby without a playmaker of some type on the floor.

I agree we dont need to necessarily have a true PG but we need someone who can get us to run an offense.

Vassell can't be an elite pick-and-roll partner for Victor because he's not very good at pull up 3P
while Dillingham's shooting ability off the dribble is one of the main reasons why he is so highly rated
will
RealGM
And1: 49,985
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#45 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 12:57 pm

imagump1313 wrote:OMG Detroit is soo mad at us right now, LOL.

The only thing that makes me nervous is Houston. People are saying they are taking the Uconn center but why would they do that when the have a stud like Sengun? They might be the one that takes Topic from us.

I dont even know if the Spurs want Topic so I guess we will wait and see. At least we have options with either pick now.

Detroit ONLY has themselves to be mad at. They are the definition of can't get right. That's completely their own problem.

As for Houston, they need to really hand the keys to Shengooon and get on with it. That kid is an absolute monster. They really need to keep that guy healthy.

Like San Antonio needs to keep Victor healthy.
kasrok
Freshman
And1: 116

Post#46 » by kasrok » Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 pm

I like this mock draft from CBS, it has getting Topic at #4 and then Dalton Knect with the #8, I think both will be able to come in and contribute right away

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2024-nba-mock-draft-hawks-go-with-alex-sarr-after-winning-top-pick-in-lottery-stephon-castle-to-wizards/
kasrok
Freshman
And1: 116

Post#47 » by kasrok » Mon May 13, 2024 2:53 pm

I like Dillingham or Topic with our #4, leaning favorite towards Topic because of his size. With the #8 pick I think Knect would be a great pick up, I think he's one of the surest scorers in this draft
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Baphomet » Mon May 13, 2024 3:47 pm

Rustyman wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Really happy with this outcome, very close to being a perfect one as Grey noted.

Agree, this now puts us into the building phase with these picks rather than trading to improve. We draft a PG and a Wing and I think we are good. Second round is a couple of flyers to fill in the two way spots.

Unless we can get KD at a reasonable cost, I am not interested in Trae, Dejounte, Klay, et.al. as they either don't move the needle, are too old, or potential chemistry issues.

The only trade I am interested in is if the Hawks select Sarr, then I think we ask the Wizards if they are willing to trade down, for Risacher, otherwise, we should stay put.

Yeah, I'm not an advocate of bringing in an experienced win-now player until we have a clearer idea of this team's identity going forward, and that's contingent on the development of our prospects. Our window is huge. Grab some prospects we like in this draft, develop them alongside our existing guys, see how things go. I understand that some people (some not even Spurs fans) are antsy to see Wemby on a winning team, but with his current trajectory it's a matter of when, not if.

Outside of Sam Presti's Scrooge McDuck-esque vault of draft capital, we're one of the most loaded teams in terms of picks and assets. No need to cash them in until we're certain.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,329

Post#49 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 5:38 pm

Some combine measurements are coming in:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2024

Needless to say, or perhaps better to emphasize all the more, Dillingham's measurements aren't helping him:

Read on Twitter

Some other guys projected in our range:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dilly and Shep measurements not helping them at all. Holland and Williams shorter than I expected. Not that into them anyway.

Clingan is impressive, not just for his massive size and movement with it but is presently hitting 3s at the combine.

Some guys I like for us:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
(gump suggested Sallis so here are his)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#50 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter

I was thinking about how missing out on Topic is a real possibility, but this has us without either him or Dilly (whose measurements are poor; he must have a good showing in pre-draft). Risacher drops to us in this scenario. Evan Townsend is not sold on him *at all*. Called him Keita Bates Diop OOF.

I do like the Risacher / Knecht pairing for floor spacing. Clear roles for both right off the bat.

We'd still have to address PG, this as it's quite possible the top guards are gone by this point...

Our scouting department is on the clock!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#51 » by G R E Y » Mon May 13, 2024 8:41 pm

Our NBA Draft forum's Topic thread reports he just reinjured his knee. Damn. Hope it's a full and quick recovery.

For us this means we may be out on both Topic and Risacher now, who may go higher...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Baphomet » Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 pm

G R E Y wrote:Our NBA Draft forum's Topic thread reports he just reinjured his knee. Damn. Hope it's a full and quick recovery.

For us this means we may be out on both Topic and Risacher now, who may go higher...

That's a real bummer. It looks bad, it didn't look like there was any contact in the video I saw and it was indeed the same knee. He stayed down for a few minutes before being helped off the court, and seemed to be in a lot of pain. Wishing him the best.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 am

G R E Y wrote:Our NBA Draft forum's Topic thread reports he just reinjured his knee. Damn. Hope it's a full and quick recovery.

CRAP!!!! But maybe a blessing in disguise for us if someone higher balks on him now?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Tue May 14, 2024 2:31 am

imagump1313 wrote:

CRAP!!!! But maybe a blessing in disguise for us of someone higher balks on him now?

That someone may include us now, depending on the test results. If he's still available at 8 we have to consider it, but puts us in a pickle for 4...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:34 am

Talk show host in Detroit wants the Pistons to try to deal Cade Cunningham to us. Rumors is Detroit will try to package him up for something (They want picks) since they have no hope of getting better quickly and probably wont give him the big contract. Maybe we package up a couple picks and a salary like Johnson or Vassell for him? He still has 2 years left on his current deal.

I might be interested in this. I think he would flourish here.

We have plenty of picks to spare this year and next and I think Detroit might panic into something.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#56 » by G R E Y » Tue May 14, 2024 2:45 am

imagump1313 wrote:Talk show host in Detroit wants the Pistons to try to deal Cade Cunningham to us. Rumors is Detroit will try to package him up for something (They want picks) since they have no hope of getting better quickly and probably wont give him the big contract. Maybe we package up a couple picks and a salary like Johnson or Vassell for him? He still has 2 years left on his current deal.

We have plenty of picks to spare this year and next and I think Detroit might panic into something.

Already moving on from MotorCade? Why?

I'm game for Keldon but not for Devin. It's a side step if we include him as he's been part of our program and is just starting to flourish. We'd then have to incorporate a new PG and a new starting SG. Doesn't make sense for us. And he's apparently Wemby's bff on the team so...

I really like Cade's size and versatility. It's an interesting deal but they'd only move up one spot with us. Maybe something like Keldon/Cade swap plus salary filler with 5 for 4&8? Future picks? Intriguing...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 am

G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Talk show host in Detroit wants the Pistons to try to deal Cade Cunningham to us. Rumors is Detroit will try to package him up for something (They want picks) since they have no hope of getting better quickly and probably wont give him the big contract. Maybe we package up a couple picks and a salary like Johnson or Vassell for him? He still has 2 years left on his current deal.

I'm game for Keldon but not for Devin. It's a side step if we include him as he's been part of our program and is just starting to flourish. We'd then have to incorporate a new PG and a new starting SG. Doesn't make sense for us. And he's apparently Wemby's bff on the team so...

I really like Cade's size and versatility. It's an interesting deal but they'd only move up one spot with us. Maybe something like Keldon/Cade swap plus salary filler with 5 for 4&8? Future picks? Intriguing...

I think Detroit wants picks(plural). They still owe the Knicks a first round pick(not sure when its due). And we have plenty of picks. Cunningham is a little more of a playmaker than Vassell but I dont think he will ever be a super star or anything. But he's had to deal with the Detroit clown show for the start of his career also

The thinking is why would they pay Cunningham only to have him demand a trade as soon as he signs because the franchise is a mess?

I'm all out on Dillingham but thats why Im not a GM :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#58 » by G R E Y » Tue May 14, 2024 3:29 am

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

I think Detroit wants picks(plural). They still owe the Knicks a first round pick(not sure when its due). And we have plenty of picks. Cunningham is a little more of a playmaker than Vassell but I dont think he will ever be a super star or anything. But he's had to deal with the Detroit clown show for the start of his career also

The thinking is why would they pay Cunningham only to have him demand a trade as soon as he signs because the franchise is a mess?

Yeah Dilly's measurements are a red flag. And he doesn't have some super athleticism or elite skills to tip scales in his favour. At least Shep, who is of similar height, has super high hops. Dilly is a scorer first, plays no D, and with his slight frame can only play 1.

I just had a quick perusing of a Cade thread in the Detriot forum. The prevailing thought is that he hasn't been the same since returning from knee injury in January, which has affected his already weak athleticism, is soft, is not a superstar, cannot be a #1 on a contender, is not a guy to build around, not worth the #1 pick slot, not worth the upcoming extension, has poor handles and too many TOs, does not shoot efficiently, isn't really a PG and should be moved to SF and get a true PG but... they want multiple lotto picks for him plus players.

I think he's been overtasked and spread thin and is in an impossible situation but still worry about both knee issues and cost (trade and prospective extension).
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by imagump1313 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 am

G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Already moving on from MotorCade? Why?

Yeah Dilly's measurements are a red flag. And he doesn't have some super athleticism or elite skills to tip scales in his favour. At least Shep, who is of similar height, has super high hops. Dilly is a scorer first, plays no D, and with his slight frame can only play 1.

I just had a quick perusing of a Cade thread in the Detriot forum. The prevailing thought is that he hasn't been the same since returning from knee injury in January, which has affected his already weak athleticism, is soft, is not a superstar, cannot be a #1 on a contender, is not a guy to build around, not worth the #1 pick slot, not worth the upcoming extension, has poor handles and too many TOs, does not shoot efficiently, isn't really a PG and should be moved to SF and get a true PG but... they want multiple lotto picks for him plus players.

I think he's been overtasked and spread thin and is in an impossible situation but still worry about both knee issues and cost (trade and prospective extension).

That is why I think its interesting. Detroit might panic because fans are all over them to do something.

The Pistons needed Cunningham to be a star. We just need him to be a solid player. Here he could settle in and not have the pressure of being THE GUY.

The injury thing is worrisome but I think many of their fans are overblowing it because they are tired of waiting. He looked pretty good to me after the knee but IMO he ran out of gas trying to do everything for that team. There were many games where he was the sole reason the score was even close.

I'm not saying he is the answer but he is a cheaper option at this time rather than one of the old FA guards and still has upside if we don't want to totally blow up our cap space.

Of course Piston fans want the world for him but thats what home fans do with their players. Some of them think they can get a first round pick for Duren or Isiah Stewart LOL. In reality Cunningham's value is much lower than they think right now.

If we actually wanted him, now is the time to try it as his value has never been lower and they are desperate IMO.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#60 » by G R E Y » Tue May 14, 2024 1:48 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

That is why I think its interesting. Detroit might panic because fans are all over them to do something.

The Pistons needed Cunningham to be a star. We just need him to be a solid player. Here he could settle in and not have the pressure of being THE GUY.

The injury thing is worrisome but I think many of their fans are overblowing it because they are tired of waiting. He looked pretty good to me after the knee but IMO he ran out of gas trying to do everything for that team. There were many games where he was the sole reason the score was even close.

I'm not saying he is the answer but he is a cheaper option at this time rather than one of the old FA guards and still has upside if we don't want to totally blow up our cap space.

Of course Piston fans want the world for him but thats what home fans do with their players. Some of them think they can get a first round pick for Duren or Isiah Stewart LOL. In reality Cunningham's value is much lower than they think right now.

If we actually wanted him, now is the time to try it as his value has never been lower and they are desperate IMO.

I wonder whether we wouldn't just draft Stephon Castle, then... Big guard, defends, is a dog, can create his own shot, can play off ball some, a winner. Shot needs consistency but mechanics are there.

In other good news, Topic's knee is a sprain after tests. Will be ready for June. I think that he reinjured it without contact though may be something to keep an eye on.

I want to say this without sounding rude but his build and movement are awkward. It's like his bones are fused at different angles or something and so his mechanics are weird looking. Maybe such an unorthodox type can be an advantage as he's made his body work so far but those offbeat angles may also be a source of some injury issues, I don't know. Glad he'll get a chance to show his game.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs