We need a PG NOW

Moderator: G R E Y

Tony Parker
Freshman
And1: 74

We need a PG NOW 

Post#1 » by Tony Parker » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:37 pm

We really suck, which is kind of expected, but are just so disorganized. A decent PG would do so much for us right now.
I actually do like Sochan, but he is not a PG whatsoever as of today and that hurts our other guys. Johnson can be an ok roleplayer but should not have to create a shot and more importantly Wemby, who could maybe to that in the long run, is getting 0 quality reps right now, having to basically do everything himself. We must set him up for success, that's the only path that makes any sense, instead he is turned into a bad Iso-player. I think Houston shows how much an organizer can help and how much that whole chaos in the past stinted them.
Possibly getting 5% out of Sochan is not worth that crap, he will just be a Roleplayer anyways. We wanted to check this look out, fine, but we cannot waste a season when he is nowhere near ready and would be a secondary playmaker in the long run anyways.
If we were letting a great PG prospect work through mistakes like the Blazers that would be something else, but Sochan isn't that and the team is a mess because he is asked to do way too much.

I really don't want this to sound mean towards him, I think he can help us at some point, but relying on him like that seems like a huge mistake to me.
Tony P hall Star N.B.A Oh
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,281

Re: We need a PG NOW 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:45 pm

Yeah it's an obvious point, so much so, that we have to consider that PATFO and coaching staff are aware of it.

That's not a slight on you, TP, I agree with the premise. But I'm trying to think of things from FO's POV.

Here's what we know:

Tre started last season and we went another route. I believe Tre is in his best most optimal position now. The other thing is that we obviously don't think Blake made enough of a jump to be relied on. We've had guys make that jump - Tre, Keldon, Devin, for instance.

In fact, Blake has hardly played. Telling, that.

So part of it is we have to have balance in the first and second units.

Now we also have Graham - an experienced, if flawed, PG. He hits 3s, drives, and runs P&R well. Also barely plays. Interesting, that.

We also have (had, now that Dev re-signed) a ton of cap space and a ton of picks and some expiring contracts. Some we acquired via trade and then just released (ie/ Lamar Stevens, who is now in Boston).

So either there wasn't a PG available that we wanted or it was too costly. Or we're waiting for someone specific.

I do think it's interesting that Magic have a plethora of guards, for instance...

In the meantime, Sochan after one year of college and after playing as a big his whole career, having never played PG, is tasked with the responsibility, and as a starter at that.

So despite Tre's limitations and Blake's lack of development, we had other options. We STILL have other options, right on our team (Graham, and we had Cameron Payne, also released).

I think despite how poor our team D is, the perimeter D tandem of Sochan and Devin is big, mobile, and smart. Yesterday they were terrific in switching, rotating, physicality. And they're just getting started.

Sochan has made improvements, though they are incremental. Handles, slow decisions, lack of vertical movement / penetration and too much peripheral action is hurting us. It leads to guys calling their own number to move things along and make something happen. Looks disjointed too often.

I don't know whether we keep Sochan at point or think that's the long-term solution. I see him more in the point-forward role like Draymond Green.

I think it's important that he develops better vision with the ball in his hands, thinks more like a PG or as a facilitator.

Right now we're more hampered by his learning on the job and the D that was supposed to be better with him there rather than Tre isn't poor because of Sochan.

Keldon is a defensive problem, but that's for another thread.

Also, Wemby isn't the easiest to play around *right now* because as Pop said, we want to take some time to see his tendencies and work from there rather than box him I to a role and expand it.

So it's all a considered experiment.

We're working with a new starting five, and that includes really two new positions (even if it's four players). We're working with a player learning a new position. We're working with a unique generational talent. I think we're trying to create a unique unconventional style that is less reliant on positions more on fluidity and response.

These take certain skills - ball handling, court vision, both of which Sochan needs to improve - and take reps, of which we haven't had enough of.

Notice how terrific the O looks versus bad defensive teams? And how it tends to grind to a halt versus the experienced ones?

It shows both potential of this starting five and the work we need to do when good defensive teams take away our best options or focus on our weaknesses.

TL;DR - unconventional route, more reps needed.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Tony Parker
Freshman
And1: 74

Post#3 » by Tony Parker » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:18 am

It really is time to reconsider that. This team is miserable and no positive progress in sight.
Tony P hall Star N.B.A Oh
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,281

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:05 pm

Tony Parker wrote:It really is time to reconsider that. This team is miserable and no positive progress in sight.

Yes. We've gone back to a more traditional two guards back court, sf, pf, c, and Blake somehow is doing similar things in Austin that isn't getting him minutes in SA and even though some think Graham would be an answer I disagree but still, overall, if we insist on Tre not starting (he has yet to this season, after starting last season) our O is going to look like it's missing the creativity it is, with basic P&Rs and alley oops and set ups looking confusing unless and until we run them or get someone who can.

I have some thoughts on this later. Yes the D is better and it's tough to win when you go 5-41 from 3, but also yes at this point the too many 3s is also a function of guys not doing basic things better, even though they know how ie/ Devin running P&Rs efficiently.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to San Antonio Spurs