PJ, it's time for you to go...

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

PJ, it's time for you to go... 

Post#1 » by TheUrbanZealot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:03 pm

PJ's last few years in the NBA as coach have been futile. PJ had tremendous talent in Portland his 1st few years and couldn't even get past the 1st round. I am convinced that PJ is simply not an NBA head coach. PJ wasn't even that great a college coach, save for a couple of decent Seton Hall teams.

I really don't know what the rage is about PJ. He is the one constant in his failure. It's obvious that if he has had 4-5 straight unsuccesful seasons that he is simply not the right coach for that respective team.

PJ, since he has been here, has:

- made very questionable rotations
- not developed any identity for the team
- insisted on playing an unsuccessful zone (which doesn't match his personnel)
- shafted the development of Jeff Green
- not made a point to establish Wilcox or Durant in the post
- allowed Durant to take questionable shots
- just hasn't really done anything at all that makes "sense"

One reason McMillan was/is so successful, is that every player understands his role. Mac developed a rotation that was consistent, so everyone knew when they were going in, and developed a rhythm. He rarely wavered from it and didn't do a gazillion lineup experiments.

Say what you will, but these athletes are not robots. They need consistency and a belief system which will breed confidence. PJ just doesn't bring anything positive to the table besides a stone-cold beard.

We've kind of given PJ a break because of the team being so young. I'm not buying that anymore. This team has some talent, they just don't have someone that can create an environment where that talent flourishes to the best of it's ability. There is nothing wrong w/ the team losing, but getting blown out and having no effort every other night is a clear sign that they just don't buy into this coach's system...

I am just afraid Presti is so attached to PJ he is sold that PJ's strange style is going to be successful in the long run? KD taking 27 footers, Wilcox getting no looks, and Earl Watson dribbling until there is 7 seconds on the shot clock, still to this day, is going to work in the long run???
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,983

Post#2 » by Dick Tate » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:19 pm

It's all part of the recipie for losing. From what you said in the game thread yesterday, you should feel quite satisfied.
Argyle
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Argyle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Urban Zealot

I agree with all of your argument and bullet points except for letting Durant shoot anything he wants. He has a run and gun personality and that has to be fostered, not stamped out.

The bottom line is PJ has no quality track record, has a horrible win-loss history, and just doesn't seem personable. I'd rather see a nice, friendly guy losing our games than a guy that constantly seems agitated with his players.

What REALLY grates me is watching him coach and instruct players. For some reason, he reminds me of this special ed kid I used to go to school with that had trouble getting words out of his mouth, so he used to stretch his mouth out all wide when pronouncing vowels. Hard to explain what I mean, but does anybody know what I'm talking about here?
TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Post#4 » by TheUrbanZealot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 pm

Dick Tate wrote:It's all part of the recipie for losing. From what you said in the game thread yesterday, you should feel quite satisfied.

Notice i said i don't mind the losing- i just don't like the way in which we lose. It's one thing if this team gave effort every night, but they just tank...

The pick will do us no good if we have this same system in place...
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#5 » by elbowthrower » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:02 am

I agree the evaluation thing's a little weird, but I wouldn't give up on PJ just yet. It's not even half a season, he has 2 or 3 players he knows he should keep, and the rest could be gone next year. Other than Durant, Green and maybe Collison, who else would you say has more than a 50% chance of returning?

I also suspect that the Sonics have a bigger plan in mind when it comes to PJ, like they know that this is just a 2-3 year gig until they can get somebody they really want. He might know it too.

The situation reminds me a bit of when the Nugs had Bzdelik, except that I could see PJ moving up to some kind of front office role, whereas the Nugs just dumped Buzz.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball