Delonte West Preparing To Leave Seattle?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Post#21 » by TheUrbanZealot » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Let's not forget another, very real possibility:

They could be purposely trying to drive his value down so that he won't command much as a restricted free agent, thus being able to sign him for cheap. I wouldn't put it past Presti/PJ...
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#22 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm not a huge Delonte backer, but I'd be inclined to agree that the chance he got to prove himself wasn't the greatest. He had his chance to prove himself as a starter right after a major roster overhaul with a new coach put into place. None of the PGs on our roster where going to, or able to, set themselves apart in that scenario.

I'm inclined to agree with Downtown. I don't think anyone ever figured out how best to use Delonte. I think his energy would have made him a great spark off the bench, while his distributory liabilities make him a poor fit to get the offense going right off the bat.

Keeping him makes no sense. His comments seemed like a thinly veiled attempt to demand a trade IMO.
Shabi__5
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Shabi__5 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:31 pm

Frozenropers wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, Wilkins has an opt out clause in his contract after this season, so if he's still in Seattle, he is almost certain to exercise the opt out, so in reality your offer doesn't cut anything off Wilkins contract.

Snyder plus the first is probably what it would take.

Cool.
I would do that deal in a 2nd , lottery protected off course since we pretty much suck this year.
Too bad we can't call our gm's and get this done.
eathy
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by eathy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Nuggets fan here, and im a big West fan and he would be a perfect fit in our system.

What do you guys want for him?
Jr Smith straight swap?

Diawara + Wafer + 1st?

Jr + Najera + draft pick for delonte + KT
HeavyP
Starter

Post#25 » by HeavyP » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:09 pm

Diawara + Wafer + 1st? would work for me..

JR Smith + 1st for Delonte + ya 2nd rounder
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by sonic-ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 am

I perfer to trade with houston to get their #1
Go cougs
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#27 » by jimmywolfrey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:22 am

Delonte would be good in the Triangle offense as the point guard or the cleveland offense.
Kwame Brown is servicable, get over it.
nwsports253
Junior

Post#28 » by nwsports253 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:58 am

Id go with the Houston trade.
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by sonic-ben » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:34 pm

I think that West is just pushing himself because He hates to lose and while doing so making more mistakes.

if on a better team... watch out

He needs to com down

but this is why I like him.... perfect 6th man
Go cougs
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#30 » by djthesonicsfan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:11 pm

IMO the "evaluation period" is another term for "asset management", with the players being the assets & Presti is trying to increase their value for trade purposes. Except players are people & despite the money they're making they are subject to the exact same emotional peaks & valleys as the rest of us.

Like a lot of you I'm frustrated by PJ's nonesense rotations, but I'm not ready to blast him because I think he's working in concert with Presti. I also think the "evaluation period" ends 21 February. But if this nonsense continues after then I'm pretty sure I'll wind up choking him.

As for the end of this "evaluation period", IMO K Thomas is gone for sure. Hopefully we get a pick or a prospect. Or he's incentive to move E Watson and/or L Ridnour. One or both of those two have got to go. I think D Wilkins would be best served if he wound up somewhere else, although I still like him as a 8th guy in the rotation. But that's W Szczerbiak's spot & that means friction for at least another year. Keeping D Wilkins is just not worth it.

While the first half of season was all about the mess at PG, the second half needs to be all about the uncertainty at center. Either R Swift is that guy or not. We should find out by the end of year. J Petro & M Sene need to get lots of run too.

But at the start of next season, I hope D West is the backup PG to D Rose or J Bayless, gets 15-18 minutes every game and settles into as a high energy, tough D drive & dish look to score leader of the second unit.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#31 » by wetsthebed » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Man, what the hell is going on with DWest. I'm never seen him unhappy before. I'd take him back in a second.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#32 » by Det the Threat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:28 pm

westthebest wrote:Man, what the hell is going on with DWest. I'm never seen him unhappy before. I'd take him back in a second.

Looks like he's not a real fan of that season long training camp PJ runs.

Though, i still hope we can send Watson somewhere else and free up some minutes for West.
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#33 » by jimmywolfrey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm

wiff wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Delonte has had more than 20 minutes 23 out of 34 games. And he had 18-19 minutes 3 games.

Yeah but he nevers gets a chance.

I'd like to see Petro's face when he reads this article.

Well i thought we were talking about Starters minutes... starters minutes equal 30-35 per game. ..

Delonte averages 20 minutes per game.

Play him with the starters..play him as a scoring option... and you just hit the nail on the head he has gotten 20 or minutes in only 23 out of the 34 games...thats terrible!!!
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,083

Post#34 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:23 pm

West should ask for a buyout. A team like the Cavs would pick him up in a heartbeat, even though West hasn't performed that well for the Sonics.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Det the Threat » Fri Feb 1, 2008 4:29 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:West should ask for a buyout. A team like the Cavs would pick him up in a heartbeat, even though West hasn't performed that well for the Sonics.

Why the heck should he ever ask to be bought out?
It's not like he's a thirty something year old that won't cut it with his current team and wants to hop onto the bandwagon of a contender.

The only thing he could do, if he badly wanted out of Seattle, is to ask management for a trade, cause his trade value around the league should be high enough to make something happen. The Sonics also wouldn't just throw him away for nothing, which would be the case, if we'd just by him out.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,983

Post#36 » by Dick Tate » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:02 pm

Det the Threat wrote:The only thing he could do, if he badly wanted out of Seattle, is to ask management for a trade, cause his trade value around the league should be high enough to make something happen.

I don't think his value would be very high. What could the Sonics get in return for a guy that's soon going to be a free agent and can be had for the MLE or less? I don't see the Sonics matching any offer unless he pulls his head out for the home stretch.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#37 » by realfung » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:30 am

I think the Seattle should make some plans for the use of their PG's.

West, Watson and Luke are good PG's, however, one of them will be great if they have to worry about their job.

So, ship one out.....and play the two left.
Det the Threat
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Det the Threat » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:46 am

Dick Tate wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't think his value would be very high. What could the Sonics get in return for a guy that's soon going to be a free agent and can be had for the MLE or less? I don't see the Sonics matching any offer unless he pulls his head out for the home stretch.

I also don't think his trade value is all that high right now, given the way he's played this season, and his contract makes it hard to trade him alone, cause it's pretty small.
Though, that he could be the deciding factor for other teams to move something nice, if he's coupled with, let's say, Kurt Thomas. This would also give us more possibilities contract wise, cause those two combined are around $10 mil.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#39 » by djthesonicsfan » Sun Feb 3, 2008 8:20 pm

I think D West's trade value is pretty high. There's a number teams that could use him. His salary is right. The length of his contract is right. He's performed well in this league. The mess that is the Sonics' rotation, and what's driving that mess, is understood by NBA folks.

But I hope the Sonics keep D West. He's got my vote for that backup PG spot next year. However, I'd also be ok with L Ridnour or E Watson too. It's just that two of the three have to go for team chemistry/rotation purposes. Which ever two coupled with K Thomas, and maybe even W Szczerbiak or D Wilkins, provides the best return (expirings, prospects & picks) I'm good with. Each of the three have their strong points, but in the end they'll be a 15 minute/game backup PG.
jimmywolfrey
Rookie

Post#40 » by jimmywolfrey » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:08 pm

The teams i think Delonte should try to get their attention next year are:

San Antonio Spurs - Great fit as the backup for parker/Ginobili or even as the starter at 2. Finley is getting old and i'm not sure when his last year of his contract is. If Finley's contract is expiring next year maybe a Wally or Kurt plus Delonte for Finley.

Phoenix Suns - They kind of already have a Delonte player in DJ Strawberry but Delonte would be a perfect fit as the 3rd guard on the team.

Chicago Bulls - Would be a great compliment to play with Kirk Hinrich.

LA Lakers - It won't happen but he would be a great play in the triangle as the starting PG.

Cleveland Cavs - Again a great fit as a starter to Lebron. I see they want a pure point distributor guard to run with the first team. I don't see it but i do see when Lebron is out of the game, they desperately need one to run the 2nd team.

Dallas Mavericks - Dwest/Dharris combo would be great. They do alot of isolations which would be great for Dwest as he doesn't have to worry about passing.

Then some of the lesser teams of this year to get more PT like the Clippers, Sixers (if they let Miller go), Orlando (to maybe resurrect Nelson and his careers), Pacers, miami

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball