Presti

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Do you believe in Sam Presti?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 14

Argyle
Senior
And1: 0

Presti 

Post#1 » by Argyle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

I've been getting some negative vibes on the board regarding our GM. I don't think they're very justified.

No GM can come in and build an instant contender. He's coming into a situation where he's cleaning up other people's messes. He only can do so much.

Let's look at the positive.

-He straight up robbed Kerr in the Thomas trade.
-He correctly let Rashard go at the right time, and refused to match, and even got a pick out of it.
-He didn't jump on any bad contracts for negligble FAs.

Jury still out

-Ray Ray trade. Depends on how Green comes along.

Oops!

-PJ hiring. Was there seriously no better option? He's stunting Green's development, pissing off the PGs, has no love for a passionate, energetic player in West (who SHOULD fit the mold of players he likes), pushed Swifts return too early, doesn't use Wilcox effectively, can't stick with a rotation. What pisses me off most was that quote from Wally that PJ said he was talking too much early in season when he was trying to be a leader. WTF? The only 2 guys on the team with real NBA experience (I dont count Nick and Luke) and he tells them to stfu? That defies common sense.

Bottom line is that we need to give Presti more of a chance to do his thing. I don't think we can fairly judge his work until 2010.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Presti and P.J. certainly talked about what direction the team was going to be going and what was expected this year, and P.J.'s coaching this team like it's nothing more than an opportunity to evaluate players and use different combinations. If you're unhappy with P.J., you have to be unhappy with the guy that hired him and has ultimate control over what P.J. does.
Argyle
Senior

Post#3 » by Argyle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 pm

It'd be interesting to know the exact dynamic in play in PJ and Presti's relationship. I think Presti is letting PJ have more free reign when it comes to lineup/rotations than we think.

In all, I'm happy with the overall body of work so far from Presti, aside from the questionable PJ hiring.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#4 » by bennith13 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 pm

The only real negative so far has been the PJ hire. Really thought he hasn't had enough time to be judge good or bad yet.
AbdicatedReign
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by AbdicatedReign » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:27 am

Sweezo wrote:Presti and P.J. certainly talked about what direction the team was going to be going and what was expected this year, and P.J.'s coaching this team like it's nothing more than an opportunity to evaluate players and use different combinations. If you're unhappy with P.J., you have to be unhappy with the guy that hired him and has ultimate control over what P.J. does.

Yup. I was behind the personnel moves Presti made before the season 100%. It was time for a total rebuild, he had no connection to the players and thus had the guts to pull the triggers on the tough trades. But after that, I've been severely underwhelmed. I feel the Carlesimo hire lacked creativity; it was the easy choice and it hasn't worked out well. It's clear Presti picked a guy who would listen to him and be inline with his vision, but in the process he forgot to hire a good coach. P.J.'s rotations are rivaled only by Bob Hill in their inanity and he's already lost half his players it seems--and we aren't even to the All-Star break.

We all knew this team would be dreadful but, we didn't think they would be this aimless. Players don't have roles, the young kids aren't being developed. Durant is getting pulled from blowouts (which makes no sense, he needs to be on the floor as much as possible) like he's a five-year vet. Green and Delonte have been jerked around and don't even have a role to prepare for. Wilcox has been poorly used, Thomas has been overused and we still don't know if Gelebale or Sene can play in this league. It's taken half of a year to "evaluate" and we're more confused than when we started (and a worse team, as well). I still believe that Presti has a wonderful mind for personnel, and knows where he wants his team to go but, he needs to hire a coach that can steer the ship himself, and not take navigation lessions from the shipbuilder.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#6 » by wiff » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:24 am

I think we all know this teams needs direction and there is definately a coach out there that has the guts to point the way. Yes we all know and fear this man.................................

Argyle
Senior

Post#7 » by Argyle » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:41 pm

Man I would LOVE Laimbeer to coach our team. Seriously.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#8 » by OzSonic » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:42 pm

There was a disscussion about him a while ago. All I have said in here is that I won't praise him for what he was done anyone could do what he has done so far so he has done nothing to wow me. He traded Ray and let Rashard Lewis walk, a monkey could shread salary if it was GM. All he has really done is hire PJ and that doesn't really sit well with me I'd rather have Bob freaking Hill!

What he does at the trade deadline and in the off season will give me some idea on his plans are, I'm expecting some positives moves come February.

If he fires PJ I will fly over there and give him a big kiss and get down on my knees and praise the guy. :P
mudyez
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#9 » by mudyez » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:21 am

if you dant believe in him...just give him back...same with OJ :)

good look guys!

I'm praying for you to stay in Seattle!

OT: Plz take a look at the link in my sig...there are only 2 slots open in the 08-fanatsy-draft (starting after the Allstargame) and it would be a pity if you would miss it!
KA_G4040
Junior

Post#10 » by KA_G4040 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:00 am

I was hoping that the sonics would hire Dwayne Casey. I liked what he did in Minny, McCale gave hiim the shaft, he is way better than Randy Wittman.
Screw Clay Bennett. Support SOS.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball