Anyone else completely jaded now?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sonics3408
Junior
And1: 0

Anyone else completely jaded now? 

Post#1 » by Sonics3408 » Thu Jan 8, 2009 10:15 pm

Hey,

I was admittedly a *huge* Sonics fan. After the way things unfolded, to put it mildly, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I had planned on not following the NBA out of spite, but there have been other side effects.

Since they have moved, I pretty much feel jaded about all team sports now. I used to follow the NBA, NFL, MLB, College Basketball, and College Football.

I always liked the NBA the most, but since the Sonics have moved, for whatever reason, I have 0 interest in any other team sports. I don't watch ESPN, I don't follow players, and for the first time in about 10 years, I have no idea how the NBA rookie class is doing. I could care less about how the College Football season is going to end up.

Anyone else?

-Teamless in Seattle
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Re: Anyone else completely jaded now? 

Post#2 » by Ex-hippie » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:28 pm

Not me. If anything I've intensified my interest in other sports.

On the plus side, I've done a pretty good job of purging the NBA from my thoughts. A recent post by wiff mentioned Sean Williams on the Nets and it took me a minute to remember... "Sean Williams? Who? Oh yeah, the guy from BC, I think he was pretty promising as a rookie." I saw a headline on realgm about Miami cutting Shaun Livingston and my first thought was "Livingston was on the Heat, and he's not good anymore? Huh, I had no idea." And I didn't learn until recently that the Celtics had gotten off to such a torrid start (apparently it's not so torrid anymore). I catch glimpses of things just because I open the sports section and click on sports websites, but I pretty much don't think about it.
Sonics3408
Junior

Post#3 » by Sonics3408 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 6:46 pm

Well, I have been following MMA/Boxing a lot more, but it seems I'm turned off all team sports :(...
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Fri Jan 9, 2009 7:46 pm

Ex-hippie wrote:Not me. If anything I've intensified my interest in other sports.

On the plus side, I've done a pretty good job of purging the NBA from my thoughts. A recent post by wiff mentioned Sean Williams on the Nets and it took me a minute to remember... "Sean Williams? Who? Oh yeah, the guy from BC, I think he was pretty promising as a rookie." I saw a headline on realgm about Miami cutting Shaun Livingston and my first thought was "Livingston was on the Heat, and he's not good anymore? Huh, I had no idea." And I didn't learn until recently that the Celtics had gotten off to such a torrid start (apparently it's not so torrid anymore). I catch glimpses of things just because I open the sports section and click on sports websites, but I pretty much don't think about it.

Funny, I saw the same item about Livingston and I was completely baffled. Last I knew he was on the Clippers bench and nursing injuries.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#5 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:54 am

I was completely surprised about Shaun Livingston as well.

I haven't really watched any other sports..the Seahawks very mildly. I'll admit I'm more of a bandwagoner when it comes to them. I like the Mariners but they've just been completely boring the past few years. Basically all I had was the Sonics. My interest in them never wavered no matter how good or bad they were. I definately haven't felt like watching any NBA besides the 3 Thunder games I've watched this season either. It usually only leaves me feeling upset though, so I haven't watched an NBA game since November.

I guess I've spent a lot of the time I used to watch the Sonics with concentrating more on work. That and playing X-Box (Bomberman is the ONLY game I play), and watching episodes of tv shows on dvd. Certainly doesn't even come close to as much enjoyment I got from watching the Sonics.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:09 am

jenn_gp wrote: That and playing X-Box (Bomberman is the ONLY game I play), and watching episodes of tv shows on dvd.

No kidding? I love that game, but my friends don't like it so we play other things instead. My gamertag is my name here with a 79 on the end of it if you're up for a match.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:28 pm

^Awesome. I'll have to look you up sometime. My husband has been hogging the X-Box lately playing the new Call of Duty game with his friends.

I played a ton of Bomberman during my two week off winter break. Too bad I didn't know you played sooner! If you get a message from me, it's my husband's gamertag, which is edogg. Just a warning, I can be a bit vicious. People cuss me out and send me mean messages all the time. I don't know why though, I am just playing the game! I swear, some people don't understand the object of the game is to kill each other. They take it way too seriously!
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#8 » by D5150 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:27 am

i dont know if i am jaded, disinterested, or just don't give a sh*t anymore. the whole sonics thing realy just sucked the life out of me (sports wise i mean, i really am a happy-go-lucky guy). it's weird, but after the sonics left i hard a very hard time getting into sports period. i don't care that the m's and hawk's sucked this year, hell i watched damn near every sonics game last year and they stunk.
i guess the things that have always pissed me off about pro sports (arrogance, no accountability, guns, bias, superstar treatment, etc,........) just became magnified to me. those things started to become an excuse to turn away. i know the bad stuff is usually the exception rather than the rule, but i suppose those things have started to really bother me. when i was forced to take off the green and gold colored glasses pro sports seemed less like good entertainment and more like theater of the absured.

i miss the sonics and hawk's and m's. i was foced to give up on the supes and chose to give up an the rest. but i have found that the time i spent following those teams and pouring over the endless minutiae of it all can be better spent. I read more, play my guitar more, and most importantly, spend more time with my wife.

obviously i still pop over here and read what the rest of you are posting. i really miss the interaction and the arguments and i even you miss dick tate. and yeah, i check out the occasional box score and read an article here and there. i am much more of a very casual observer. my sports knowlege has certainly dimished over the past several months and you know what? i am ok with that. life is about phases and about change and moving on to the next.

but as i said before, no one, but no one can ever take away the past and all of our fond memories. the good time are what i will remember, thoughts of the dark days are fading fast.
Don't act like you're not impressed.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball