Throwing games?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#21 » by ISB » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:44 am

AbdicatedReign wrote:Meh. There's a difference between losing on purpose and just not being very good. The Sonics are clearly the latter. Now, if you want to say this team's goal isn't to win games, you may have some ground to stand on (their main goal is to develop certain players). But to suggest that losing is their primary focus (a connotation the term "tanking" has) is utterly false and rather indefensible.

well said.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,983

Post#22 » by Dick Tate » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:45 am

D5150 wrote:is this all about how you think that the sonics are better than they really are and you just want to blame the whole thing on what you consider questionable substitution patterns?

The
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#23 » by D5150 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:15 am

you know what dick? as in your little tank thread, i think i will just say once again, you win. i dont think it is possible to have a serious discussion with a conspiracy theorist such as yourself. there is just no penetrating your logic. good luck finding the shooter from the grassy knoll.

oh look at that, i went and made a smart-ass comment. guess i have run out of substantial evidence to back up my opinion. that tends to happen when some people refuse to offer real arguments based in fact rather than opinion. it tends to derail any hope of a real debate. if you want to believe the sonics are intentionally throwing games, enjoy.

oh and that quote from pj? you think that supports your tank theory? i guess you want robert to keep sitting? you dont want to have a look at him? if he plays, then someone has to sit. but if we apply your circular logic, swift taking minutes from someone else so that he can be evaluated is just further evidence of tanking. right?
Don't act like you're not impressed.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#24 » by jenn_gp » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:21 pm

Honestly (and this might be a bit off topic), I am sick of talking about Robert Swift. IMO I just don't see the value in keeping him at this point [gasp!]. I like Kurt at center, with Nick backing him up. If it were up to me, I wouldn't trade Kurt Thomas because he gives us exactly what this team needs: quality leadership and experience. He's definately someone I want around Durant, and if our goal isn't to tank but to try to win as many games as possible, he should get his fair share of minutes.

I know our major goal is to evaluate talent, but at this point, Robert Swift has used up enough of our valuable time at Center. I would put him in the "loser" pile along with Wilkins and Ridnour/Watson. OK now you can rip all of my thoughts to shreds now.
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#25 » by D5150 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:26 pm

no, thats valid. i certainly agree with luke, watson, and wilkins loser pile comment. swift is still a big unknown at this point, but if he cant stay healthy for the rest of the year so the team can get a good look at him then yeah, might be time to move on. and i couldnt agree more with your kurt thomas comments. think its any coincidence that petro and collison have started to play better since thomas has been here?
Don't act like you're not impressed.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,983

Post#26 » by Dick Tate » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:46 pm

D5150 wrote:i guess you want robert to keep sitting? you dont want to have a look at him? if he plays, then someone has to sit. but if we apply your circular logic, swift taking minutes from someone else so that he can be evaluated is just further evidence of tanking. right?

I don
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#27 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm not sure about the R Swift to the loser pile statement. At least for now. Let's talk about that at the end of the season.

For sure I've got to disagree with the D Wilkins to the loser pile judgement. I would agree he's not a starter. And he's got to stop trying to get his own shot, but I attribute this to confusion over his role. Not selfish play. D Wilkins does some important things well. He can finish, shot the 3ball & defend on the perimeter. He's a solid 8th guy in most any rotation in the league.

I understand the W Szczerbiak situation & how that impacts D Wilkins' situation. Patience is required by D Wilkins. Or else he can opt out or we can try to trade him. He's not so valuable that we should alter team strategy to accommodate his wishes.

So there you go. And reasonable folks can disagree.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball