Sonics Future at Power Foward

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Hiphophead101
Senior
And1: 68

Sonics Future at Power Foward 

Post#1 » by Hiphophead101 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:59 pm

With three feasable starters at the PF position in Collison, Wilcox, and Green, who do you believe should start? Who should we keep long term? And finally, should we trade some of our talent at the Power Forward postion to fill our void at the Center position?

I, personally believe we should keep Green and Collison.

We should keep Green because he complements Durant well and he has a lot of promise to be a great player. His game reminds me a lot of Shawn Marion - undersized (Well, only a tad) and agile, yet able to guard bigger players. Almost like an oversized guard.

Collison I believe we should keep because he is proving to be a great rebounder, and has one of the best basketball IQ's in the game. He's always surveying the action. He also works extremely hard to be as good as he is.

At this moment I would still start Collison over Green due to Collisons experience in the league, but eventually I would start Green over Collison - I believe he will become the better player, hes only scratching his potential.
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#2 » by D5150 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:09 am

i am really torn on wilcox. is there a chance he could get better? yes. is there a chance this is as good as he will get? also, yes. but he brings a dynamic that collison does not. i am going to have to see more of green before i am willing to say so long to either wilcox or collison. but here is a thought: durant remains at the 2 and green at the 3 and wheezy/nick platoon at the 4/5. kind of what they are doing now. is that such a bad rotation?
Don't act like you're not impressed.
Hiphophead101
Senior

Post#3 » by Hiphophead101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:18 am

No, and immediate steps do not need to be taken right now. But as far as the future - Durant isnt going to be a SG his whole career. He will need to move to small forward eventually. Green will then shift to the PF slot. And I believe that Wilcox could be of better use on many other teams - he doesnt really fit into the style of coaching that PJ is trying to install.
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#4 » by D5150 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:26 am

here is another crazy thought. green as a sixth man. i know, he was the 5th pick, traded allen for him, etc. but he can play 2 positions, could be a great defender and a decent scorer off the bench. just a thought.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
Hiphophead101
Senior

Post#5 » by Hiphophead101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:57 am

But wouldnt you want to build a trio of lottery picks? Three great players creating a scoring threat in the lineup? Otherwise we would have two great starts playing side by side like Ray and Rashard. Everything else is the same peices. This is a chance for the team to fix their mistakes not repeat them. With a pick in the draft the sonics would add a third superstar to the team with a great cast in the leftover peices.
FARMERMAN10
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by FARMERMAN10 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:41 am

The Sonics draft pick this summer will probably dictate what happens with the other guys on the roster.

if we pick a PG, I think one or even both of Watson/Ridnour is dumped, and we move from there.

If we get a big guy, than I could expect to see Wilcox/Collison traded.

stating the obvious I know, but all I'm saying is that we will probably need to wait for the lottery and draft to have a better idea how this team will be built. last offseason was a big first step, but its still going to be a long process.
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Post#7 » by OzSonic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:58 am

Hypothetically speaking if Chicago offered us Tyrus Thomas would there be any interest to anyone in here?
Hiphophead101
Senior

Post#8 » by Hiphophead101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:41 am

You would prefer Tyrus Thomas over Collison, Wilcox, and Green?
Supersonicas
Ballboy

Post#9 » by Supersonicas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:13 am

D5150 wrote: but here is a thought: durant remains at the 2 and green at the 3 and wheezy/nick platoon at the 4/5. kind of what they are doing now. is that such a bad rotation?
Yes it is bad. We have no 3pt shooters aside from Durant, who is just a solid 3pt shooter right now. We can't start just one outside shooter, def not in todays game.
BBen
Starter

Post#10 » by BBen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 am

I'd get rid of Nick Collison while his value looks high. I've always hated watching him because he just seems to be so slow and unable to block shots except from the most whimpy of attempts. I watched the Lakers game where he put up such impressive numbers yet was not impressed overall by his performance. He just looked like he was pushing around a REALLY bad interior defender in Kwame Brown. I also don't like Kurt Thomas much, his offense relies on jump shots.

Wilcox is the kind of guy we need on this team. He's the kind of scorer that doesn't need a play called for him all game and he still hits double figures. That's what we need with Durant.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#11 » by OzSonic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Hiphophead101 wrote:You would prefer Tyrus Thomas over Collison, Wilcox, and Green?

Over Wilcox yes, I don't see Green as a PF and Collison could still fill the role as a backup PF/C if we had him. I think the kid with be worth a punt.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#12 » by wiff » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:38 pm

I'd like to see Wilcox traded for a pick and a SG prospect. I like Wilcox but I really don't think he will get much better. Not because he isn't capable of getting better but simply because I don't think he has the heart or the motor to work at it.

I know this is under sized but after all this IS a rebuilding process.

PG Rose/Bayless, West
SG ??????
SF Durant
PF Green, Petro
C Collison, Swift/Sene

I think Green is a PF. James Worthy, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Karl Malone and even a much shorter Sir Charles.

All these guys are 6'9" or smaller. Plus as Durant gets older and fills out they will both simply be Forwards because they can guard either position.

So Nick needs to play Center which I think is his best position, until the Sonics find a better option. I'd love to land Dalembert by trading Wilcox but I don't think Philly would do it.
sonichound16
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#13 » by sonichound16 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:55 pm

I agree that Wilcox needs to be moced. Last thing I want to see is the Supes giving him a big fat deal after his expires. He only even attempts to play one side of the court. Is there a worse defensive big in the league? I am not a big numbers guy so I don't have anything to support that but just from watching him guard pretty much anyone it is obvious that they figure they will get an easy basket if they aren't doubled. He looks like he doesn't even try on the defensive end. Sure, he can dunk great and runs the floor well but he rarely grabs a rebound in traffic and can disappear for stretches. He may have some more growth potential but I wouldn't want the supes to pay big $$ to find out. Maybe swing him to the Bulls for Thomas/Thabo?
Frozenropers
Junior

Post#14 » by Frozenropers » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Maybe swing him to the Bulls for Thomas/Thabo?

Yes, I would deal Wilcox to the Bulls and I think the package that sonichound mentions above would be about perfect. Thabo could be our futue SG (solid defense, emerging offensive skills). Thomas has alot more upside than Wilcox at this point. I agree with others who say Wilcox has the talent to get much better, but doesn't appear to have the desire or heart.

If Paxon called with a Thomas/Thabo type offer I'd do that deal every day and twice on Sundays.

Just so nobody has any dilusions though, Thomas is a very raw, highly athletic talent similar to what Wilcox was coming into the league. Not much of an offensive game, outside of dunks, but at least Thomas makes an effort on the defensive end and could become a solid shot blocker.
BBen
Starter

Post#15 » by BBen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey guys. The mention of Tyrus Thomas as a better answer at PF than what we currently have is frustrating.

Thomas is listed at:
Height: 6-9
Weight: 215 lbs

Green is listed at:
Weight: 235 lbs

Collison is listed at:
Weight: 255 lbs

Wilcox is listed at:
Height: 6-10
Weight: 235 lbs

Ok, what I'm trying to prove here is that Thomas has a lot longer to go physically than any of our current players in order to play PF. Also, he has a lot further to go mentally as I'm sure all of you will agree (which is the reason he's being mentioned in trade talks at all).

How many of you guys that want him watched Thomas in college? Were you impressed? I wasn't. He was drafted on potential coming out of college and has shown absolutely no improvement. Granted, Skiles is a bad development coach and doesn't give him much time, but he's still averaging 16 min a game which should be enough to get a good look at him.

So what I'm saying is, you're going to trade an already developed and competent big (a valuable chip in this league) for a failing potential pick who should really be a SF?
HeavyP
Starter

Post#16 » by HeavyP » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Chicago feels like they don't need Wilcox when Joe Smith is throwing up comparable numbers. That being said, we'd have to really entice them. Probably add Delonte West and a pick or something along those lines.
OzSonic
Starter

Post#17 » by OzSonic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 pm

BBen it was merely hypothetical. Thomas probably won't be dealt unless they land Gasol, our chances of getting him are pretty slim or not at all. I never said he was the answer to all the Sonics problems. I certainly would be prepared to try and get him here rather than resigning Wilcox for a long term deal. He is raw, it may work out, it may not but you don't get anywhere without taking a risk.

Sorry if that is uneducated. :roll:

Maybe swing him to the Bulls for Thomas/Thabo?

If we could get Thabo here I would be a very happy man! I doubt the Bulls have any interest in dealing him at this stage unfortunatly.
BBen
Starter

Post#18 » by BBen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm

Sorry about the uneducated remark, I took it out of the post. I don't think it's uneducated, I just feel like nobody who talks about Tyrus Thomas watched him in college. He's just never played good ball, he's been the classic athletic looks good on paper guy. Sure those pan out occasionally, McGrady was one (even though his teams always underachieve because he has as much personality as a pancake).
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#19 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Bucks fan here.

Do you think Wilcox would be open to playing a role as a backup PF? The Bucks need a backup PF and I think he could be a good fit behind Yi. I saw a mention that you guys need a Center. What do you think of Gadzuric?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Hiphophead101
Senior

Post#20 » by Hiphophead101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:57 pm

Wilcox's value highly outweighs that of Gadzuric. We would take a first rounder though for him.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball