OT: General OT Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

cdash
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: OT: General OT Thread 

Post#141 » by cdash » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:47 am

12 posts in for this guy and half of them have been completely obnoxious.

From a Pacers fan, I am sorry to see the Sonics leaving Seattle. Its a shame that such a sports fixture in a city had to get saddled with a crappy owner like Bennett (and really, it seems Schultz wasnt too great either). I dont think the Sonics are done in Seattle. In time, the NBA will return. For now though, I understand it must sting quite a bit. My condolences to Seattle and all the Sonic fans.
adizlaja
Sophomore

Post#142 » by adizlaja » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:49 am

Im a Mavs fan and the Sonics leaving Seattle really pissed me off. I can't imagine the Mavs leaving Dallas. It must be terrible for you fans.

Its such bull. OKC? Really? There is a bigger basketball market there than in Seattle? You gotta be kidding me NBA. Its gonna be a fad that will wear off in 2 years. Unbelievable.

Maybe if the team moved to Las Vegas, I could understand... but not anywhere else. The whole league just lost a great city.

Sorry boys.
Andrewoc83
Junior
And1: 4

Post#143 » by Andrewoc83 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:59 pm

I am so sorry Seattle. I'm a Bucks fan from small-market Milwaukee, and if the Bucks, who have vulnerabilities like an old arena and seeking new ownership, were to get shipped out, I would be so upset.

I've loved the Sonic since Ray Ray was sent there, and they've one of those teams I continually root for in the West. I hope something works out.

Good Luck!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Mark Twain
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#144 » by BenjaminH » Fri Jul 4, 2008 12:59 am

Soriano12 wrote:Will you guys follow the team in Oklahoma City or will you hop on the Blazers bandwagon?

Yes, I probably will, but no more so than I follow any other team in the league.
Hardzy
Ballboy

Post#145 » by Hardzy » Sat Jul 5, 2008 5:47 am

I will follow them to see if they lose. I hope Durant bolts and they become the NBA's whipping boy's
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#146 » by Flash3 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:03 am

Are you guys now going to follow the OKC team and call it your own?

I'd hate for such a thing to happen to me......
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#147 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:39 am

^There is already a thread topic on this, but just so you know:

The answer was HELL NO.
dYYYh.k²
Pro Prospect
And1: 165

Post#148 » by dYYYh.k² » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:50 am

dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#149 » by dflash3 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Wow there is already an OKC forum. They will be the only team in the nba I truly hate.
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#150 » by Frozen316 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 am

Query, is it ok to rip on posts/people(with quotes) from the OKC forum in the Sonics forum?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#151 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:20 pm

^Unfortunately, as someone who spends a lot of time in here and wants to follow the zero tolerance policy, I'd say that probably isn't a good idea for you or this forum.

But as someone who has truly vindictive feelings towards OKC people, I'd love to see it.

I really don't think it's a good idea though.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#152 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 am

Frozen316 wrote:Query, is it ok to rip on posts/people(with quotes) from the OKC forum in the Sonics forum?

What's the point in doing that?
TheUrbanZealot
Junior

Post#153 » by TheUrbanZealot » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:44 am

jenn_gp wrote:
But as someone who has truly vindictive feelings towards OKC people, I'd love to see it.

But why? Why are you vindictive towards OKC people? What did OKC people do to YOU personally? The reality is that you are mad that the Sonics were displaced from Seattle, period. It could have been your best friend moving the team, you would still be mad. The point is, all of OKC is not responsible for moving the team to OKC!

You don't find it to be a little scary/disturbing that you would allow yourself to be emotionally displaced by people whom are completely innocent, to the point of harboring ill will towards those respective innocent people?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 am

Completely innocent? All of OKC may not be responsible for moving the team, but they sure as hell supported the move and are happy it happened, and their support will be what keeps our team in their backyard. Right? A benefit has been conferred to them at our expense...and you're sandbagging someone for being a little upset about that...

I don't wish death or harm to come to any person, but I hope their franchise fails miserably. I am not rooting for their franchise to succeed. I am rooting for the NBA to take this one in the shorts and learn a valuable lesson. Which, I would guess, qualifies as 'ill will'...

What about you? Do you hope the franchise succeeds? That the NBA profits from screwing us over?

Do you ever make posts other than to take a contrary position to someone and attempt to gain the moral high ground? Or make an argument that you know will foster disagreement?
TheUrbanZealot
Junior

Post#155 » by TheUrbanZealot » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:18 pm

Completely innocent? All of OKC may not be responsible for moving the team, but they sure as hell supported the move and are happy it happened, and their support will be what keeps our team in their backyard. Right? A benefit has been conferred to them at our expense...and you're sandbagging someone for being a little upset about that...

So let me get this straight- a resident in OKC, who supported the move of a franchise to a town that has no franchise, is "not innocent"? Are you serious? OKC had no franchise!!!! Any resident that is a basketball fan is going to want a team in their town, and no matter if they feel bad for the team that is leaving, it's not like they are going to hold up collective STOP signs. You have to be kidding me. The only thing they are guilty of is being basketball fans and wanting a franchise. They are the beneficiaries of a few mens move, nothing else. I have a hard time believing they are calling each other up going "yes! we STOLE their team!!!!". If a team was to be offered to us at this point in time, even if it meant another city losing a team, how many of us as collective fans are going to go "nooooooo, don't do it!!!!". You have to have common sense man...

I don't wish death or harm to come to any person, but I hope their franchise fails miserably. I am not rooting for their franchise to succeed. I am rooting for the NBA to take this one in the shorts and learn a valuable lesson. Which, I would guess, qualifies as 'ill will'...

What about you? Do you hope the franchise succeeds? That the NBA profits from screwing us over?

I'm not looking at it as short-sighted as you. You seem to be more about the franchise as opposed to the players that make up that franchise. Which seems odd, because the success of a franchise, primarily, falls square on the shoulders of the players. Now granted, we obviously are going to root for the team we feel the most connected with, but it still falls on those very players to make the franchise succeed. With that being said, I want success for Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Nick Collison, and all of the Sonic players that we became connected with. I want success for them even if it's with OKC. It's extremely short-sighted to only wish success for players if they are not in a certain city. I mean do you want Kevin Durant to do poorly for OKC? Is it really that serious a matter that it warrants wishing players to not succeed, thus disabling the franchise from succeeding, just because you harbor resent towards an owner? I don't necessarily believe that, and I think the vindictive nature is moreso reactive. Basically, I don't want OKC to not succeed if it means Kevin Durant, etc. not succeeding. I want THEM to succeed, so inevitably that would allow OKC to succeed.

Do you ever make posts other than to take a contrary position to someone and attempt to gain the moral high ground? Or make an argument that you know will foster disagreement?

I make posts because I have an opinion, like everyone else does. I find some of the posts on here to be a little puzzling and emotionally reactive, so I like to chime in to lend my 2 cents. Most of us Sonic fans have spun out of control after the move, and I find it rather fascinating from a psychological standpoint how deep the connection goes. I find it interesting how people take out their frustrations, often times generalizing entire cities based upon the actions of a few in those respective cities.

Mind you, I typically take a contrary position to someone that is being rude/spewing venom. I find it ironic how easy it is for you to defend those that make rude statements, but chide those that defend the innocent. I'm quite certain it's a result of sharing the frustration of the person(s) being rude, however someone has to lend a logical perspective..
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#156 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:20 pm

So if you missed a payment on your prized collector car which you had for decades and built up from scratch and the court reposessed it because you owed money on another loan you would be happy to watch it going down the street and wish lots of years of joy to the individual who bought it from the bank, and every time you ran across that person you would shake his hand and say how great it is he owns that car?

C'mon man, it's perfectly natural to feel a bit of anger at someone who now takes over the passion that was yours for a long long time regardless if they were a direct accomplis or not.

I think as time goes on hard feelings will die down but a clear seperation between those who lost their beloved team and those who now get to take advantage of others misery is justified.

I just don't get UrbanZealot why if you don't want to listen to the bad things posters in here say about OKC fans that you feel it's your duty to keep coming here. There is a forum now for those of you who want to continue supporting that team. Why don't you just go there and leave this forum if it has no purpose for you? All I can think of is that you like to argue with people that have an emotional edge to them because of them losing their team. If that's what you're after then expect to get treated rudely every time just like the others.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#157 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Wow, what made TheUrbanZealot the psychologist of the board?

I agree with Sweezo..is your only purpose on this forum to play devil's advocate? It's great that you have your own opinions, but why the constant snooty "I'm better than all of you because I don't feel X way" posts?

Excellent arm-chair analysis! You should definately pursue a psychology degree. That way, you can pat yourself on the back for trying to help us poor, psychotic Sonics fans who've "jumped off the deep end."

What's your purpose Urban? Is your purpose to bait all of us into arguments, or are you using this forum as some type of psychological observation? What are you trying to accomplish by taking the "moral high road?" Cause honestly, every time you post something contrary to board opinion in regards to the whole OKC mess, I want to puke.

As Downtown said, if you want to applaud the OKC people and team for what they did/are currently doing, then go to their forum. You're not making any friends here bud.

Now I suppose you're going to tell us this forum is going to waste away if we keep acting like this; it's an outrage we tell you go to post somewhere else; we're being inconsiderate, rude; need to grow up; ect. Well guess what? I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!

Psychoanalyze that!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 pm

TheUrbanZealot wrote:So let me get this straight- a resident in OKC, who supported the move of a franchise to a town that has no franchise, is "not innocent"? Are you serious? OKC had no franchise!!!! Any resident that is a basketball fan is going to want a team in their town, and no matter if they feel bad for the team that is leaving, it's not like they are going to hold up collective STOP signs. You have to be kidding me. The only thing they are guilty of is being basketball fans and wanting a franchise. They are the beneficiaries of a few mens move, nothing else. I have a hard time believing they are calling each other up going "yes! we STOLE their team!!!!". If a team was to be offered to us at this point in time, even if it meant another city losing a team, how many of us as collective fans are going to go "nooooooo, don't do it!!!!". You have to have common sense man...

Your argument hasn't become valid because you've made it longer, thrown in a bunch of exclamation points !!!!!, and RANDOMLY CAPITALIZED SOME WORDS. What other tricks do you have up your sleeve to ratchet up the incredulousness? Perhaps a *sigh* or some **** to make it look like you're so mad your cursing me out? Your move...

If another team came to Seattle, and I were to root for it...I would expect that the jilted fans of that franchise would not like me much. And my response to them would be one of apathy. I do not need to be accepted by random persons on the internet whom I have never crossed paths with...
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,918

Post#159 » by Dick Tate » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Personally, I would feel little or no dislike for the folks in OKC if Howie had simply moved the team there himself. My hate would be reserved for Howie. However, their city sent their business leaders into our area to snatch our team, therefore they get their fair share of my disdain. This is why I have such a big problem with the settlement/Key Arena plan... It's designed for Ballmer/us to go into some other city and do the same thing to them that Bennett/OKC did to us. I'd feel much more comfortable if another owner chose to relocate his team here (which is a more realistic scenario anyway). Unfortuantely, the current plan doesn't allow for that possibility.

B2 - we need you!
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#160 » by jenn_gp » Fri Aug 1, 2008 6:50 am

I just came on here tonight and find this "Seattle Fans in the Future" thread. WTH is that all about, and why wasn't ljp24 banned? I thought there was a ZERO tolerance policy? Is that only one-sided? I mean, how much longer can they and others continue to come in here and walk all over us?

I'm so sick of it. Where's the ZERO TOLERANCE policy mods? I don't dare go in to the OKC forum and make comments the way ljp did because I'm afraid to cause trouble and get banned. Why isn't it the same on our end of things? Just because it's not our team anymore, doesn't mean they should be able to come in here and talk like that...

I'm pissed off, and a little disappointed with Realgm right now. I had to come in this thread to post my thoughts because it is related to the current issue.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball